Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    lxcbsr3vn418.jpg

They just want us to handle injustice like Jackie Robinson did, just take the abuse and don't say nothing.

? how dare you, read your ? history

this dude founded one of the first Black Owned Banks in Harlem and literally refused to sit at the back of the bus......

Jackie agreed to hold his tongue for his first 2 seasons and put up with the racist ? before going full Field ? on these cacs while having his GOAT MVP season and never holding his tongue again. I thought everybody knew this ? story smh

"The Hall of Famer wrote in his 1972 autobiography “Never Had It Made” that he had “believed in payback, retaliation” from the time he was 8 years old and a neighborhood girl called him the vilest of racial epithets. “Jackie had a genius for getting into extra-curricular scrapes,” wrote sports columnist Will Connolly, and he was quick to speak out against injustice. While in the Army in 1944, the defiant Robinson had been arrested for insubordination after refusing to sit in the back of a military bus as ordered by the driver. He was temperamental, too quick-tempered some teammates feared. He talked back to white officials, struck back against white players who levied hard blows. Rickey had heard the reports that Robinson was a “racial agitator” but believed he would have been considered “a competitor” had his skin tone been paler.

Robinson faced perhaps his greatest test a week after his debut when the Philadelphia Phillies, led by their manager Ben Chapman, sprayed the field with racial taunts and calls for him to “go back to the cotton fields.” Robinson daydreamed “for one wild and rage-crazed minute” about “what a glorious, cleansing thing it would be to let go. To hell with the image of the patient black freak I was supposed to create. I could throw down my bat, stride over to the Phillies dugout, grab one of those white sons of ? and smash his teeth in with my despised black fist.” Knowing that he carried the prospects of an entire race, though, Robinson endured it all without retaliating, and it ate him alive. He suffered from stomach pains. His hair turned gray prematurely.

Before the start of Robinson’s third season in 1949, Rickey called his new star into his office and issued what he called “an emancipation proclamation.” Rickey told a relieved Robinson he no longer needed to restrain himself. “You can be yourself now,” he said.

With his cheek no longer turned, Robinson started to challenge other players and argue with umpires. Some fans and sportswriters began to turn on the Dodgers star as a result. The Sporting News called him “a chronic griper” and took him to task for “umpire-baiting.” No longer the “martyred hero,” he was labeled a “troublemaker,” “uppity” and a “rabble-rouser.”

What he really was, however, was the true Jackie Robinson, someone who would speak out, someone who would fight back. “If I had a room jammed with trophies, awards and citations, and a child of mine came into that room and asked what I had done in defense of black people and decent whites fighting for freedom, and I had to tell that child that I had kept quiet, that I had been timid, I would have to mark myself a total failure at the whole business of living,” Robinson wrote."

http://www.history.com/news/silent-no-longer-the-outspoken-jackie-robinson

Here's his letters to the White House telling President Eisenhower that he would rather have nothing than be insulted by calls for patience and weak-ass Civil Rights legislation:

s7r9koe4i8kx.png

8jnricfre09g.png

0w6p4604vp22.png

od6x14wjism1.png

krn83wxi8u56.png

SMFH @ pro-black heads believing the propaganda ? cacs try to whitewash our historical heroes with

What propaganda am I "believing" let's start there.

Just admit that you were wrong and KIM.

You are one the most ignorant and dumbest posters on the IC, if not the dumbest.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's called staying on code. They know that Kaepernick isn't really disrespecting the flag or disrespecting the armed forces but since Kaepernick is protesting against white supremacy and injustice against black people this is their way of arguing against him without blatantly coming off as racist. But they end up exposing themselves anyway.

My statement was mostly in jest but I can agree with this

but I also call those people dumb as ? . I've never seen a more ignorant group of people honestly. White people have been historically dumb as ? .
    I'm not trying to absolve them for their racist and destructive behavior but that doesn't make them not dumb as hell.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    lxcbsr3vn418.jpg

They just want us to handle injustice like Jackie Robinson did, just take the abuse and don't say nothing.

? how dare you, read your ? history

this dude founded one of the first Black Owned Banks in Harlem and literally refused to sit at the back of the bus......

Jackie agreed to hold his tongue for his first 2 seasons and put up with the racist ? before going full Field ? on these cacs while having his GOAT MVP season and never holding his tongue again. I thought everybody knew this ? story smh

"The Hall of Famer wrote in his 1972 autobiography “Never Had It Made” that he had “believed in payback, retaliation” from the time he was 8 years old and a neighborhood girl called him the vilest of racial epithets. “Jackie had a genius for getting into extra-curricular scrapes,” wrote sports columnist Will Connolly, and he was quick to speak out against injustice. While in the Army in 1944, the defiant Robinson had been arrested for insubordination after refusing to sit in the back of a military bus as ordered by the driver. He was temperamental, too quick-tempered some teammates feared. He talked back to white officials, struck back against white players who levied hard blows. Rickey had heard the reports that Robinson was a “racial agitator” but believed he would have been considered “a competitor” had his skin tone been paler.

Robinson faced perhaps his greatest test a week after his debut when the Philadelphia Phillies, led by their manager Ben Chapman, sprayed the field with racial taunts and calls for him to “go back to the cotton fields.” Robinson daydreamed “for one wild and rage-crazed minute” about “what a glorious, cleansing thing it would be to let go. To hell with the image of the patient black freak I was supposed to create. I could throw down my bat, stride over to the Phillies dugout, grab one of those white sons of ? and smash his teeth in with my despised black fist.” Knowing that he carried the prospects of an entire race, though, Robinson endured it all without retaliating, and it ate him alive. He suffered from stomach pains. His hair turned gray prematurely.

Before the start of Robinson’s third season in 1949, Rickey called his new star into his office and issued what he called “an emancipation proclamation.” Rickey told a relieved Robinson he no longer needed to restrain himself. “You can be yourself now,” he said.

With his cheek no longer turned, Robinson started to challenge other players and argue with umpires. Some fans and sportswriters began to turn on the Dodgers star as a result. The Sporting News called him “a chronic griper” and took him to task for “umpire-baiting.” No longer the “martyred hero,” he was labeled a “troublemaker,” “uppity” and a “rabble-rouser.”

What he really was, however, was the true Jackie Robinson, someone who would speak out, someone who would fight back. “If I had a room jammed with trophies, awards and citations, and a child of mine came into that room and asked what I had done in defense of black people and decent whites fighting for freedom, and I had to tell that child that I had kept quiet, that I had been timid, I would have to mark myself a total failure at the whole business of living,” Robinson wrote."

http://www.history.com/news/silent-no-longer-the-outspoken-jackie-robinson

Here's his letters to the White House telling President Eisenhower that he would rather have nothing than be insulted by calls for patience and weak-ass Civil Rights legislation:

s7r9koe4i8kx.png

8jnricfre09g.png

0w6p4604vp22.png

od6x14wjism1.png

krn83wxi8u56.png

SMFH @ pro-black heads believing the propaganda ? cacs try to whitewash our historical heroes with

What propaganda am I "believing" let's start there.

Just admit that you were wrong and KIM.

You are one the most ignorant and dumbest posters on the IC, if not the dumbest.

Uh i think you're mistaken, cuz..

That's called staying on code. They know that Kaepernick isn't really disrespecting the flag or disrespecting the armed forces but since Kaepernick is protesting against white supremacy and injustice against black people this is their way of arguing against him without blatantly coming off as racist. But they end up exposing themselves anyway.

thats spot on
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now Bill cower is Questioning Kaep commitment, the racist are out in full force.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20658089/cleveland-browns-run-first-responders
    Responders join Browns; Lynch sits anthem

As expected, the Cleveland Browns were joined by police officers, firefighters, EMTs and the military as they ran onto the field before Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The same safety officials lined up on the sideline with the team during the national anthem.

Among those standing on the sideline with players was Cleveland police chief Calvin Williams. Several players locked arms with police officers. Owner Dee Haslam also locked arms with tight end Seth DeValve and a police officer.

No players knelt during the anthem, and two police officers forcefully joined arms with linebacker Christian Kirksey, who led the team in a prayer as a group of players knelt before the second preseason game.

Before the anthem, several players and coach Hue Jackson were featured on a video that spoke to the importance of unity and equality.

"We believe together we can make our country a better place," quarterback DeShone Kizer said.

"Today and every day we are banded together as one," Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas said.

"We want our football team to be a great unifier of our community," Jackson said.

Eagles protest

Safety Malcolm Jenkins continued his protest by raising a fist over his head before the Philadelphia Eagles' opener at the Washington Redskins.

Defensive end Chris Long kept his hand on Jenkins' back for the entire playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner," as he did during the preseason. Safety Rodney McLeod put a hand on Jenkins' shoulder as well.

Lynch sits

Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch, who sat a number of times during the anthem in the preseason, again sat on Sunday. He hasn't discussed why he sits during the pregame.

Rams' Quinn raises fist

Los Angeles Rams outside linebacker Robert Quinn raised his right fist in the air during the national anthem, maintaining his custom since the start of last season.

Quinn shook his head when asked about the Michael Bennett situation earlier this week.

"It just goes to show you what's happening in America," he said. "It's crazy, you know. You can't keep making excuses."

49ers teammates surround kneeling Reid

49ers safety Eric Reid again knelt for the national anthem, following through on his promise to continue the protest he was a part of all last season along with Colin Kaepernick.

Ten teammates surrounded Reid with a hand on his shoulder as he knelt.

Kaepernick support

Colin Kaepernick's fraternity brothers gathered before the Detroit Lions hosted the Arizona Cardinals to support the unsigned quarterback.

About 50 members of the Kappa Alpha Psi alumni chapter in the Motor City marched about a mile Sunday in a peaceful protest that ended just outside Ford Field.

Kaepernick remains unsigned after opting out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers. His supporters believe that the league is punishing him for refusing to stand during the national anthem last season to protest police brutality.

• eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not watching any games but from what I'm hearing it's a lot of teams with bad QB play that look like they could've used Kaepernick's help
  • dnyce215
    edited September 2017
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    Not watching any games but from what I'm hearing it's a lot of teams with bad QB play that look like they could've used Kaepernick's help

I heard the Colts and the Texans could of used Kaep. I seen that the Colts said they will play to Tolziens strengths, and homie threw a pick six
  • dnyce215
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Flacco threw less than 180 yards for a win, and didn't Kaep average 180 yards a game last season? Homie can't get a run
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.theroot.com/the-cleveland-browns-message-on-unity-is-about-as-ba-1803073429
    The Cleveland Browns’ Message on ‘Unity’ Is About as Bad as That Punt Attempt

The Cleveland Browns, the one NFL team that has been the most demonstrably vocal in support of Colin Kaepernick’s principled stance against inequality American policing, played a video before the start of the National Anthem in its first game of the season on Sunday.

And it was … interesting.

Against a backdrop of mucho patriotic images and stuffed full of worthless platitudes like, “We believe in unity, we believe in justice, we believe in freedom;” “Love conquers all, and with that, we can keep America great;” and “Not just for the red white and blue we don on our porches, but what it stands for,” I was underwhelmed. I mean, duh.

At this point, all that is cute, but we have to say explicitly what it is that we are protesting (if I’m not mistaken that would be unbridled police violence against black men women and children in America) or it becomes too easy to sweep the real issues under a old, filthy ass-rug away that far too many Americans walk over every day. I know it’s not easy, but it’s necessary if we ever want to make any substantive change. But I digress…

The 30-second video, played before the Browns’ season opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers, features head coach Hue Jackson and African American and white players Joe Thomas, DeShone Kizer, Jamie Collins, Christian Kirksey and Randall Telfer.

Since 12 Browns players stood in a prayer circle during the National Anthem during an August preseason game, the Cleveland police union (the same one that defended a cop who killed a 12-year-old Tamir Rice, firing on the child after 2 seconds, mind you) demanded an apology from the players and boycotted a ceremony during this very game.

I guess the “Unity video” is appeasing all sides. Except it appeases none.

By the way, the Browns ? the bed in their first punt return of the game, giving the Steelers an easy touchdown (by the way, I got that from Twitter. I am not watching.)

Many African Americans say they will boycott the NFL this season in support of Kaepernick, who because of his stance against racially biased policing and brutality, has not been picked up by any NFL team.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20658089/cleveland-browns-run-first-responders

49ers teammates surround kneeling Reid

49ers safety Eric Reid again knelt for the national anthem, following through on his promise to continue the protest he was a part of all last season along with Colin Kaepernick.

Ten teammates surrounded Reid with a hand on his shoulder as he knelt.

Kaepernick support

Colin Kaepernick's fraternity brothers gathered before the Detroit Lions hosted the Arizona Cardinals to support the unsigned quarterback.

About 50 members of the Kappa Alpha Psi alumni chapter in the Motor City marched about a mile Sunday in a peaceful protest that ended just outside Ford Field.

Kaepernick remains unsigned after opting out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers. His supporters believe that the league is punishing him for refusing to stand during the national anthem last season to protest police brutality.

"When you look at some of the recent incidents like what happened to Michael Bennett in Las Vegas, it validates the stance that Colin Kaepernick has taken," said Eric Brown, a former president of the fraternity's alumni chapter in Detroit.

Brown said the Kappa Alpha Psi planned to have similar gatherings in Dallas and Atlanta before future NFL games.

Kaepernick remains unsigned after opting out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers. His supporters believe the league is punishing him for refusing to stand during the national anthem last season to protest police brutality.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why couldnt ? in the nfl just for opening season just fake an injury and not play for kap? it would of made a hell of a statement. but once again im just a dreamer.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The jets being one... Them ? are running josh ? mccwon out there
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Some of you sounding like Tebow fans at this point.
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Except Kaepernick is actually a capable NFL QB and is head and shoulders better than several Quarterbacks who started games yesterday. The same could never have been said about Tebow.
  • dnyce215
    Options

Except Kaepernick is actually a capable NFL QB and is head and shoulders better than several Quarterbacks who started games yesterday. The same could never have been said about Tebow.

A lot of bad QB play this Sunday

• stringer bell
    Options
    https://sports.yahoo.com/jim-brown-browns-owner-key-pregame-show-unity-police-165552126.html
    Jim Brown, Browns owner were key in pregame show of unity with police

Last week started out with a contentious threat from Cleveland’s police union that it wouldn’t participate in a Browns pregame ceremony for the national anthem, in response to many Browns kneeling for the anthem during a preseason game.

By Sunday, Browns players ran out of the tunnel with police officers, military personnel and first responders in a show of unity.

How the story took such a dramatic turn was told by Scott Petrak of BrownsZone.com. One of the most interesting points of how Sunday’s show of unity came about was that Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown, who was heavily involved in activism when he played, talked to the Browns players after the preseason anthem protest and, according to Petrak, Brown “encouraged them to find more appropriate ways to effect change in the community.” Brown, who is 81 years old, is still widely respected, especially in football circles.

Also, Browns co-owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam were credited for their involvement. A meeting between players and members of the Browns organization with Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams seemed to change the discourse.

“That’s incredible,” Browns cornerback Jason McCourty said, according to Petrak. “When your owner shows just that they’re willing to get involved, it means a lot to us. And I know it means a lot to the fans.”

Before the anthem was played there was a video played that included Browns players, calling for unity. All of the Browns players reportedly stood for the anthem on Sunday, standing with or locking arms with police officers and military personnel.

We all are in this together, and that is what it is all about,” Browns coach Hue Jackson said, according to the transcript of his postgame news conference. “I think whatever has gone on in the past, we let all of that go. I really appreciate our organization reaching out and them reaching back out to us and us being united towards doing things better. That is what it is all about. We love our police department and our military and everything they do for us, and we respect what they do. I think we showed that today, and I think that we showed that we are all together in this.”

Smh...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how about all black players just fall to the ground at the same time on Sunday.

that would represent all the black men killed by police
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    why don't some of these ? get it?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    why don't some of these ? get it?

They aint built for it.. and they believe in the facade of the locker room the same type ? they do in frats/police/military

these guys are like sheep being ushered into formation in the image of their coaches
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk why u think the jets would sign kap

1 the owner
    2) the whole team stinks there tankn for #1 pick