Ice Cube: "No Vaseline" is Better Than "Hit Em Up", it was More Personal

Options
RickyRich
RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=CN-Jzvxe6yE

Ice Cube’s “No Vaseline” is arguably one of the most scathing diss records ever released, and now Ice Cube has taken the time to discuss the record’s impact and where it stands in terms of diss records overall. During an interview, Cube was told that in the finals of diss records, “No Vaseline,” and 2 Pac’s “Hit Em Up” is at the top. Cube ended up saying his record is better, saying “We were in the same group, so it was more personal. They [Biggie and 2 Pac] were just friends.”
When Cube was asked if felt like 2 Pac’s diss was trying to close in on his space of releasing scathing diss records, he said “Nah. I mean 2 Pac’s was banging, but my loop was better too. Using that Dazz, that “Brick” [loop]… nah, nah, you gotta give it up to Pac. He’s one of the best that ever picked up a mic. But if he was here, I’d still tell him: You can’t fade ‘No Vaseline.’” When asked who he had in terms of 2 Pac versus Biggie, Cube said “If I’m talking about onstage passion, emcee from the heart, that’s 2 Pac. I’m just talking about lyrically gymnastics, that’s Biggie.”

Comments

• bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hitemup is the best diss song in hip hop....then its between ether and no vasoline
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both classic diss tracks. But no vaseline was so vicious
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ain't this a thread already? Like last year?
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMHO Ether>>> No Vaseline>>> Hit Em Up...
  • bck145
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »
    Hitemup is the best diss song in hip hop....then its between ether and no vasoline

No Vaseline broke up a group and got Heller fired. Hit em Up is one bar that people remember lol stop it

Hitemup had a bigger impact in hip hop and much more emotion....much more scathing
  • bck145
    Options
    No Vaseline might very well be the better diss, but you don't get much more personal than telling a man you ? his wife at the beginning of the song.

No vasoline is personal but pac made it sound more personal which is very important

• RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    people overlook against the odds. pac went in on that
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    After you heard that tupac ? u knew somebody was gonna die. It wasn't no group split up drama it was some mean ass cold hearted ? that you knew was gonna lead to something.
  • bck145
    Options

No Vaseline broke up a group and got Heller fired. Hit em Up is one bar that people remember lol stop it

Hitemup had a bigger impact in hip hop and much more emotion....much more scathing

Lol at emotions. Cube was speaking facts that anyone can check Pac made a statement that no one can confirm.

Facts>>>>>>>>>>

Thats cute...hitemup is a much better song and much more hard hitting even if its not facts
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol at emotions. Cube was speaking facts that anyone can check Pac made a statement that no one can confirm.

Facts>>>>>>>>>>

Thats cute...hitemup is a much better song and much more hard hitting even if its not facts

How does this make any sense?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would agree with the thread title.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as ive got older and matured i have started to agree with this statement. Hit up was hard tho
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This true.

Cube>>>>>>>>>>>Pac also

• bck145
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »

Facts>>>>>>>>>>

How does this make any sense?

I ? ur ? you fat mother ?

? bad boy as a staff, record label, and a ma ? crew

No one knows if pac ? faith..probably did and the agression in his voice during the song is so venomous
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    #Facts

Let's just put this in perspective. There were a lot of great disses before and after "No Vaseline" but "No Vaseline" to me is........"The Blueprint" on how to make a diss record.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hit em up is overrated as ? , there is lots of hip hop diss tracks that are better to me with No vaseline probably being my favorite, when I was younger I would probably have had hit em up at the top but now I am older and see through the hype.
  • All_In_The_Game
    All_In_The_Game Members Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Options
    Of course it was, he didn't have the wack ass Outlawz rappin on it.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? a group break up.."Hit em up" had ? ready to die over ? . It was deeper than rap. Hit em up the best diss track of all time. I always say if "who shot ya" was really aimed at Pac, then that is by far the most personal and scathing diss of ALL TIME. Nothing comes close.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why tear down one to promote the other? Both are great diss records. Both are in my top three, along with RMGs. I can understand arguments on both sides as to why one is better than the other.