The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    Is the fight gonna be on PPV? I work 2pm-10:30pm Saturday, and hope I'll be able to stream it.

Is ggg vs canelo gone be on ppv?

JNDA_f-maxage-0.gif

Naw ? . It gone be on for free on CBS

Hahahahahaha I dont know why but this ? had me rollin..
    golden-gate-bridge-suicide-jumper.gif[img][/img]
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    really debating if i should have a fight party....but then again no one i kick it with even follow boxing like that...thats why i be in here with you ?
  • ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hey gecko face @ethos $25 bet and the 25 ko kicker ... GGG mudda sucka you in?

Lol look at this ? .

Sure you can drop some more .money in my account mayne!!
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my ? just said " fam u should have the fight party get the thots there too...u know no one ever really watches the fight anyway"

im still sitting here w the confused face like huh?
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marvin Hagler : why isn't he held to the same standard as many fighter. He lost to a fighter who hadn't fought in 3 years while being being number 1 p4p . Also the fighter had never fought at MW. Is it because that fighter was sugar Ray Leonard ? Anyone else would be ridiculed.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Marvin Hagler : why isn't he held to the same standard as many fighter. He lost to a fighter who hadn't fought in 3 years while being being number 1 p4p . Also the fighter had never fought at MW. Is it because that fighter was sugar Ray Leonard ? Anyone else would be ridiculed.

Casual^^^
  • Mrslim1
    Options

Casual^^^

Far from casual brother. Just a question.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wilder-Ortiz, Jacobs, Lipinets Showtime Tripleheader in Play for November 4th.

http://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-ortiz-jacobs-lipinets-showtime-tripleheader-play--120421
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »

http://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-ortiz-jacobs-lipinets-showtime-tripleheader-play--120421

l7c30bzaoo25.gif
  • Mastery
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »

l7c30bzaoo25.gif

"Casual" response? haha
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options

The way you worded this not really making sense?

Also how you figure Hagler isn't held to the same standard?

Define what the standard is by the way.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wilder-Ortiz, Jacobs, Lipinets Showtime Tripleheader in Play

By Keith Idec

Now that the Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz heavyweight title fight is essentially a done deal, BoxingScene.com has learned Showtime is in the process of finalizing a tripleheader for November 4 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Showtime’s telecast also is expected to feature former middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs and junior welterweight contender Sergey Lipinets in separate bouts. Opponents haven’t been finalized for Jacobs or Lipinets, but Lipinets will fight an undetermined opponent for the vacant IBF super lightweight championship.

Brooklyn’s Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) will fight for the first time since losing a close, 12-round unanimous decision to middleweight knockout artist Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) in their 160-pound title fight March 18 at Madison Square Garden.

Kazakhstan’s Lipinets (12-0, 10 KOs), the IBF’s mandatory challenger at 140 pounds, will fight for the title Terence Crawford (32-0, 23 KOs) gave up after winning it by knocking out Namibia’s Julius Indongo (22-1, 11 KOs) in the third round of their championship unification fight August 19 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Representatives for Wilder (38-0, 37 KOs), the WBC heavyweight champion from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and the Cuban-born Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs, 2 NC) have been working to finalizing their agreement for two months.

They have moved forward now that Bermane Stiverne has agreed to a step-aside fee for allowing Wilder-Ortiz to happen without the former WBC heavyweight champion receiving the mandatory title shot he is due. Wilder won the title by beating Stiverne rather convincingly in January 2015 and Wilder has expressed about as much interest in boxing Stiverne again as television executives have shown in broadcasting their rematch.

The often-criticized Wilder feels he’ll earn much more respect for facing Ortiz than for fighting Stiverne again.

The Haitian-born, Quebec-based Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 KOs) has agreed to box American heavyweight contender Dominic Breazeale (18-1, 16 KOs) on the Wilder-Ortiz undercard. The Stiverne-Breazeale bout will be broadcast by Showtime Extreme.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • Mrslim1
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

No problem. What i mean is if the known number 1 p4p fighter would have lost 1 . To a person who had been off 3 years and 2. That has never fought in the division that Hagler dominated for years not only win , but compete they would get cooked . But Hagler was never ridiculed in that way. It's like saying if GGG lost to Kell Brook many folks would have said he was overrated and a ? . But Hagler doesn't get any criticism. No saying he should . But is it because he lost to Ray? Or because of the lack of blogs and forums during that time. Just a question.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hagler won the Leonard fight.

My close friend's uncle Olympic gold medalist Sugar Ray Seales fought Hagler to a draw in 74.. Lost the other 2 times they fought but still that's crazy. I used to train at his pops gym back in the day.. His other uncle told me he whooped Marvin Hagler ass in the amateurs but I don't believe him haahaa..
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the times make it this way. Everybody so critical and got an opinion. Also the significance of being undefeated has almost become overstated when mixed with all the business decisions. The sport from the writers to fighters to promoters to the fans is so divisive right now. Everybody so caught up in agendas and narrative opposed to being fans of the sport

Side note: it's too many belts, we thought Floyd was making a stand at one point saying he dint need to fight for the belt but it was all narrative and posturing
  • Mastery
    Options
    Wilder-Ortiz, Jacobs, Lipinets Showtime Tripleheader in Play

By Keith Idec

Now that the Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz heavyweight title fight is essentially a done deal, BoxingScene.com has learned Showtime is in the process of finalizing a tripleheader for November 4 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Showtime’s telecast also is expected to feature former middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs and junior welterweight contender Sergey Lipinets in separate bouts. Opponents haven’t been finalized for Jacobs or Lipinets, but Lipinets will fight an undetermined opponent for the vacant IBF super lightweight championship.

Brooklyn’s Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) will fight for the first time since losing a close, 12-round unanimous decision to middleweight knockout artist Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) in their 160-pound title fight March 18 at Madison Square Garden.

Kazakhstan’s Lipinets (12-0, 10 KOs), the IBF’s mandatory challenger at 140 pounds, will fight for the title Terence Crawford (32-0, 23 KOs) gave up after winning it by knocking out Namibia’s Julius Indongo (22-1, 11 KOs) in the third round of their championship unification fight August 19 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Representatives for Wilder (38-0, 37 KOs), the WBC heavyweight champion from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and the Cuban-born Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs, 2 NC) have been working to finalizing their agreement for two months.

They have moved forward now that Bermane Stiverne has agreed to a step-aside fee for allowing Wilder-Ortiz to happen without the former WBC heavyweight champion receiving the mandatory title shot he is due. Wilder won the title by beating Stiverne rather convincingly in January 2015 and Wilder has expressed about as much interest in boxing Stiverne again as television executives have shown in broadcasting their rematch.

The often-criticized Wilder feels he’ll earn much more respect for facing Ortiz than for fighting Stiverne again.

The Haitian-born, Quebec-based Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 KOs) has agreed to box American heavyweight contender Dominic Breazeale (18-1, 16 KOs) on the Wilder-Ortiz undercard. The Stiverne-Breazeale bout will be broadcast by Showtime Extreme.

? you late dena ? !!!
  • D. Morgan
    Options

No problem. What i mean is if the known number 1 p4p fighter would have lost 1 . To a person who had been off 3 years and 2. That has never fought in the division that Hagler dominated for years not only win , but compete they would get cooked . But Hagler was never ridiculed in that way. It's like saying if GGG lost to Kell Brook many folks would have said he was overrated and a ? . But Hagler doesn't get any criticism. No saying he should . But is it because he lost to Ray? Or because of the lack of blogs and forums during that time. Just a question.

Ok I get what you asking now.

Actually its a little of both. Truthfully Hagler doesn't even get brought in most boxing conversations among casual fans or people who don't know the history of boxing.

Also to many the result of the fight was controversial, it was already known and Ray Leonard himself admitted that he waited until he saw slippage in Hagler before he made that fight.

Ray Leonard is also in most peoples eyes a top 5-7 all-time great fighter.

I would say that the biggest reason Hagler doesn't get hated on and discredited like many fighters today is because blogs and forums weren't around. Actual real journalist that went to school for journalism wrote the articles in newspapers and magazines for boxing. Now any person who wants to buy a website and have a go-pro like camera can be considered a boxing journalist. When that is really not what they are. Most of these ? is just fake ass fans of a sport looking for a come up.
  • Mrslim1
    Options

Actually its a little of both. Truthfully Hagler doesn't even get brought in most boxing conversations among casual fans or people who don't know the history of boxing.

Also to many the result of the fight was controversial, it was already known and Ray Leonard himself admitted that he waited until he saw slippage in Hagler before he made that fight.

I would say that the biggest reason Hagler doesn't get hated on and discredited like many fighters today is because blogs and forums weren't around. Actual real journalist that went to school for journalism wrote the articles in newspapers and magazines for boxing. Now any person who wants to buy a website and have a go-pro like camera can be considered a boxing journalist. When that is really not what they are. Most of these ? is just fake ass fans of a sport looking for a come up.

Good points brother. Just was always wondered that. This fighter elevated Ray to GOAT status. It was an impressive performance for him to be able to compete being off for 3 years also in his previous fight he got dropped my Kevin Howard. However Ray was still only 30 when he fought Hagler which made him still young enough to still put up a good fight.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Good points brother. Just was always wondered that. This fighter elevated Ray to GOAT status. It was an impressive performance for him to be able to compete being off for 3 years also in his previous fight he got dropped my Kevin Howard. However Ray was still only 30 when he fought Hagler which made him still young enough to still put up a good fight.

I don't 100% agree with the bold. Ray was already GOAT status, that fight more than likely pushed him into guaranteed top 10 status for most though.

Gotta remember Ray had already won gold at the olympics, beat Duran, Arguello, Benitez and Hearns years before the Hagler fight. Also with the way he had to come back against Hearns for that win was legend making for a lot of people. Especially considering the reputation Hearns had and the way Hearns was viewed at that time.

• Mrslim1
    Options

I don't 100% agree with the bold. Ray was already GOAT status, that fight more than likely pushed him into guaranteed top 10 status for most though.

Gotta remember Ray had already won gold at the olympics, beat Duran, Arguello, Benitez and Hearns years before the Hagler fight. Also with the way he had to come back against Hearns for that win was legend making for a lot of people. Especially considering the reputation Hearns had and the way Hearns was viewed at that time.

I can agree with that. Respect brother
  • D. Morgan
    Options

I can agree with that. Respect brother

tenor.gif
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zIK6ktxIk

cokeboy on the breakfast club...Charlamagne is a fool lol

Cokeboy Oscar had a point about only a few fighters holding that mega superstar spot at one time

60's-70s- Ali
    80s- Tyson
    90s- De La Hoya/RJJR
    00s till recently- Mayweather/Pacquiao

Only one that has that major PPV appeal rn is Canelo

Crawford and Spence got big skills but lack in personality

Broner had that crossover appeal but the nogga lacks discipline and ? way too much