The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What exactly is so exciting about Canelo's personality other than being Mexican. I admit he is intense all the time but that's it. He doesn't even speak English. Wilder got the crossover appeal for Americans.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    What exactly is so exciting about Canelo's personality other than being Mexican. I admit he is intense all the time but that's it. He doesn't even speak English. Wilder got the crossover appeal for Americans.

this here still baffles me
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We not even seeing the fighters enough for them to build a fanbase

Spence should have a date by now

Garcia, Porter should have been back in the ring but I think they jumped out there paying them more than they generated, now you gotta find the money and be meticulous
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hes a red-headed Mexican that isnt ugly and that can fight

Hes an anomaly
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hes an anomaly

True, but Mexicans always have a nation backing them, so superstardom isn't that far outta reach for them. ? won't ever get that type of support in America.
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    Options
    Koltrain wrote: »

Hes an anomaly

True, but Mexicans always have a nation backing them, so superstardom isn't that far outta reach for them. ? won't ever get that type of support in America.

I see where you coming from but at the same time for us to get behind a fighter

He has to be in that Floyd-esque mold

Cocky, Flashy and can back it up

The biggest thing is authentcity and having a personality

Errol definitely got the juice but his personality is lacking
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hes an anomaly

I don't agree with the person having to be in a Floyd-esque mold at all.

Funny you say one of the biggest things is authenticity because Floyd wasn't authentic. That ? is/was a great boxer but truth be told to me outside the ring he was ? clown for real.

I have to give Floyd credit. He knows how to be flashy while in action. Like while he is being taped during a workout for a upcoming fight but overall his interviews aren't good IMO. Floyd really wasn't a good ? talker either IMO. Ain't hard to seem funny and talk ? better than people like Mosley, DLH, Cotto or Manny. Look at how easily McGregor outshined Floyd in talking ? .

These fighters just actually need people skills and learn how to communicate. A person's personality not going to change they are who they are.

Even a boring person can draw people in if they have people skills and know how to hold a decent conversation/communicate.

People have to do and be what works best for them. Sugar Ray Leonard was actually way more popular than Floyd IMO and acted in the total opposite manner.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    max saying the same ? about floyd that ive been saying for years but i guess it has weight if it comes out of a reputable boxing reporter like max. smmfh. i give floyd credit for playing the game but dont be calling yourself the best ever when you hand pick fights like mickey did for rock. that ? shouldnt even get into the hall of fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXAkogS8NM8

? ALL top fighters pick their opponents. This ain't the ? 40s where a mob boss rolls up and tells you that you're going to fight ? Italiano and you're going to take a dive....or else.

You think Pac wasn't picking his opponents? Dlh wasn't? Shane, Roy, Lennox ect? All those dudes have a huge say so in their opponents except when the commissions whose titles they hold give them a mandatory and even then they can choose to vacate and fight who tf they want. Especially in today's game where at a certain level you no longer need a title to valid your prowess or drawing power and the title actually benefits more from a super elite fighter holding it than the fighter does by being champ but that's another convo.

The point is all top boxers pick their opponents. Why do you think it took Floyd so long to fight Dlh and Shane? Both of them and their respective teams were ducking Pretty Boy Floyd. Shane didn't fight him until Shane was on the back side of his career because Shane the A side and one of the p4p best in the 90s and early 2000s was ducking PBF. Not because Floyd waited for Shane to get old but because Shane waited for Shane to get older and his drawing power dropped even though he was champ meanwhile Floyd's was rising.

Bob arum and Dlh wouldn't let Floyd come close to fighting Oscar til he was old and on the downside. Floyd had to threaten them and literally leave the company to get a side billing because they didn't want Floyd's star to exceed Dlh ? ass and they damn sure wasn't trying to fight. Floyd was calling both of them out when he was PBF and they both picked other fighters and ducked Floyd for years.

The legendary beloved boxer and duck artist sugar ray Leonard ducked Marvin Hagler for his whole damn career. He invented the retire so I don't have to fight a mfer strategy that people constantly accuse Floyd of. He set up the rematch with hands of stone so that Duran would be ? up and out of shape.

My favorite boxer of all time RJJ when he was the best in the world in his prime was accused to cherry picking and ducking some killers across the pond that wanted to scrap with him.

The greatest Mexican boxer of all time JCC was also the greatest cherry picker of all time. Not is that "undefeated" streak ? because he actually lost a fight early on in his career and some unsavory people "suggested" it be stricken from the record or switched to a W. But on the subject of cherry picking. This ? was well into his career I'm talk 50-60-70 fights in already a legend fighting mfers with losing records, 0-0 records, got damn bus drivers, school cafeteria ladies, any laborer looking for work down at the home depot but no one ever questions his pillow top mattress padded resume or accuses him or the other guys of cherry picking or whatever.

And there is one main reason why... Because Floyd played the game and won. He was the one fighter in history to flip the script on the powers that be behind the scenes and in the bank. And there has been an obvious concerted effort to stain that man's accomplishments, career and legacy on multiple fronts. Not to just destroy the man's legacy without cause but more so to deter other boxers from taking the money Mayweather blueprint to success. He's the one boxer in history to beat the system meant to keep him in place. He was like neo to the boxing matrix not only in the ring but just as important on the business side. He finished his career at 50-0 but the way he showed other fighters how to take control of their own careers and they was he beat the system, he should really be 51-0.

Give that man his props and stop buying into the ? that he's somehow less of a fighter for being a better smarter boxer and businessman.

Maaaaan, talk that ? ! Me and my pops used to say this ? all the time! I remember Floyd getting in the ring with Shane and Shane saying he couldn't take the fight because of a toothache or wanting to vacation with his family. ? then fought like a few months later.

Oscar is still salty because he knows he legit had a chance to have won if he fought Floyd earlier where he could've sustained that output enough to maybe fool the judges. Shame on the whole game for hating on Floyd.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Hes an anomaly

I don't agree with the person having to be in a Floyd-esque mold at all.

Funny you say one of the biggest things is authenticity because Floyd wasn't authentic. That ? is/was a great boxer but truth be told to me outside the ring he was ? clown for real.

I have to give Floyd credit. He knows how to be flashy while in action. Like while he is being taped during a workout for a upcoming fight but overall his interviews aren't good IMO. Floyd really wasn't a good ? talker either IMO. Ain't hard to seem funny and talk ? better than people like Mosley, DLH, Cotto or Manny. Look at how easily McGregor outshined Floyd in talking ? .

These fighters just actually need people skills and learn how to communicate. A person's personality not going to change they are who they are.

Even a boring person can draw people in if they have people skills and know how to hold a decent conversation/communicate.

People have to do and be what works best for them. Sugar Ray Leonard was actually way more popular than Floyd IMO and acted in the total opposite manner.

This x1000 ? alwasy want gimmicks the flash.. the icing.. and are deluded into thinkin thats what is necessary its a shame..
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Floyd not a good ? talker but he's known for talking ? in and out the ring? There's a bunch of boxers that say Floyd plays a lot of mind games while in the ring especially during sparing. It's like y'all just like typing for nothing when in fact you have no ? idea what you're talking about. ? is insane
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sugar ray was more popular cuz he shook and jived for those crackers... Bob arum tried to make Floyd act like ray but it didn't work... Floyd knew what demographic to go after which was the untapped young black hip hop audience. Also he was a great ? talker vs gatti vs zab vs Oscar and vs Hatton. Seems like many folk eat up negative propaganda spewed by the media. Why u think all the 24/7s they do now are bland and boring compared to the first 2 Floyd ddiud vs Oscar and vs Hatton? Put the pretty boy Floyd that had Oscar bout to cry in there instead of the older Floyd and the ? talking vs McGregor woulda been epic... timing and Floyd trying to get America on his side instead of the I don't give a ? young buck that was him back then is the difference
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Floyds shuck game is unparalleled .. you just like the optics more though...
  • D. Morgan
    edited September 2017
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Sugar ray was more popular cuz he shook and jived for those crackers... Bob arum tried to make Floyd act like ray but it didn't work... Floyd knew what demographic to go after which was the untapped young black hip hop audience. Also he was a great ? talker vs gatti vs zab vs Oscar and vs Hatton. Seems like many folk eat up negative propaganda spewed by the media. Why u think all the 24/7s they do now are bland and boring compared to the first 2 Floyd ddiud vs Oscar and vs Hatton? Put the pretty boy Floyd that had Oscar bout to cry in there instead of the older Floyd and the ? talking vs McGregor woulda been epic... timing and Floyd trying to get America on his side instead of the I don't give a ? young buck that was him back then is the difference

That is complete ? .

The rest of your post basically proved my ? point. LLS

You just felt like typing to be typing with this ? .

So explain to me in this climate in america how Floyd was trying to get the country on his side by calling McGregor a ? on the press tour. With how pro ? everything this country is the ? you saying looking funny in the light.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options

Cinnamon speaks a little bit of English.. After the weigh-ins of the Mayweather fight.. Jim Gray interviewed him and asked if he was ready.. Then Cinnamon did his best Oscar impersonation and said real soft-like "I was born ready".. I think that's the last time he publicly spoke in English...
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hes an anomaly

They need to fight more

Spence should have a fight lined up now
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hes an anomaly

His personality is fine imo.. confident but humble... He got room to grow, and that's coming now that he's interviewing more and getting more comfortable in front of the camera.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the thing why Floyd cant be duplicated is because he made ppl especially other races hate by being loud and embracing all negative stereotypes attributed to ? while styling on their favorite fighters....thus this has ppl tune to every fight cuz they want scratch that they need someone to humble him...preferrably if its their guy who s going to shut that black guy up....i remember before the Pac v Mayweather fight engaging mad casuals into convo and the consensus was that ppl wanted Floyd to lose cuz he needed to humbled....whoever can create that type of feeling and emotion from the populace will be the next one....Broner tried but he cant fight...
  • D. Morgan
    edited September 2017
    Options
    the thing why Floyd cant be duplicated is because he made ppl especially other races hate by being loud and embracing all negative stereotypes attributed to ? while styling on their favorite fighters....thus this has ppl tune to every fight cuz they want scratch that they need someone to humble him...preferrably if its their guy who s going to shut that black guy up....i remember before the Pac v Mayweather fight engaging mad casuals into convo and the consensus was that ppl wanted Floyd to lose cuz he needed to humbled....whoever can create that type of feeling and emotion from the populace will be the next one....Broner tried but he cant fight...

I agree that Floyd's model can't really be duplicated.

The thing is and people keep ignoring it is that there is no one size fits all formula for these fighters. What worked for Ray Leonard wasn't working for Floyd and what worked Floyd ain't going to work for these young fighters either.

Hell Spence I believe in the Breakfast Club interview said wants to be like Ray Leonard but follow Floyd's business model for boxing.

Like I said earlier people have to do what comes naturally to them and be themselves. More times than not it will workout for them better in the long run.

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »

That is complete ? .

The rest of your post basically proved my ? point. LLS

You just felt like typing to be typing with this ? .

So explain to me in this climate in america how Floyd was trying to get the country on his side by calling McGregor a ? on the press tour. With how pro ? everything this country is the ? you saying looking funny in the light.

? he wanted tthe American's to cheer for him vs the irish... but crackers and Hispanics don't view black folk as American and will cheer for anyone vs a ? ...u can't be this naive
  • ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    Options

Cinnamon speaks a little bit of English.. After the weigh-ins of the Mayweather fight.. Jim Gray interviewed him and asked if he was ready.. Then Cinnamon did his best Oscar impersonation and said real soft-like "I was born ready".. I think that's the last time he publicly spoke in English...

That whole "I was born ready" phrase

I believe that was a mocking of Floyds comments saying hes always ready

So Canelo was being a smart ass in a way lol
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

Hes an anomaly

They need to fight more

Spence should have a fight lined up now

These new cats only fight 2xs a year it's maddening
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Floyd played his part to perfection.

I used to be in them espn boxing message boards back in like 2006. Mother ? been hating on Floyd for a minute..

But most of it is Bob Arums fault....he built his fighters by billing them as guys Floyd was "ducking" only to have them fight each other and double his money....

Floyd just embraced it by being arrogant as ? to the claims.....? was easy money...all he had to do was act like Pac in front of the cameras

Like his boy say if they hate let them hate and watch the money pile up
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8lYKYKVbNQ
    Bernard Hopkins Says Canelo Will Beat Triple G + Names Top 5 Rappers