At What Point Does Taking Pictures & Recording Videos Impede Living in the Moment and Enjoying Life?

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was having a conversation about this with some old heads. Older folks like to criticize these newer "Worldstar" generations, now that smart phones and Instagram has turned everyone into photographers and models, respectively.

And one thing that they (and others) hate is when everyone takes out their phones to record during a concert. And this is something I think about all the time when I'm at a concert.

It's funny 'cause I find it kind of corny to do but at the same time, it's nice to have those memories. But old folks would've probably done the same at Woodstock if they could've? It's still weird to see all those phones though, seeing people live at a concert watching their phones watching the show.

Then there's taking pictures and recording videos when there's tragedies like fatal shootings or natural disasters. Does it depend on the intention (e.g., to document history vs. to post on Facebook for likes)? Take, for example, the "Batman shooting" at the theater: when it happened, some of the people there apparently recorded it on their phones and even sent out tweets.

So how do you regulate your inner cameraman/camerawoman? When is too much too much? And can there be too little?

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I realized I recorded the entire kanye concert that my arms was hurting so I put it down and started rapping along

Bad thing is all the vids I recorded sound horrible from how loud the speakers were
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    event or show....I'll admit I've asked somebody else to make sure they get pics, but I aint doing that ? lmao

if im having fun w/ the fam im not trying to hold no phone

and if its friends or whatever we dont really do pics

to answer, yes there's absolutely too many ? pictures being taken period lol......we all had a healthy amount of baby pics in a lil book and if we're lucky our mama still got em....ONE BOOK.....bruh I got like 3500 pics of my kids on my backup lol....? ridiculous and we know it, but we still do it

we can say its technology pushing it or the new generations but I think it has more to do with each individual's personality.....the wife and I are both low key, dont show or tell our business and dont have a ton of online friends...that being said we'll take a whole trip or even just have a night out and not one picture or video is taken, and we're cool w/ that

that "popular", outgoing, really social person needs ? to show and talk about.....they gone have the phone out the whole time....probably take some snaps gettin dressed....on the way.....pullin up.....made it....etc lol
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only gonna get worse as technology advances.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Was having a conversation about this with some old heads. Older folks like to criticize these newer "Worldstar" generations, now that smart phones and Instagram has turned everyone into photographers and models, respectively.

And one thing that they (and others) hate is when everyone takes out their phones to record during a concert. And this is something I think about all the time when I'm at a concert.

It's funny 'cause I find it kind of corny to do but at the same time, it's nice to have those memories. But old folks would've probably done the same at Woodstock if they could've? It's still weird to see all those phones though, seeing people live at a concert watching their phones watching the show.

Then there's taking pictures and recording videos when there's tragedies like fatal shootings or natural disasters. Does it depend on the intention (e.g., to document history vs. to post on Facebook for likes)? Take, for example, the "Batman shooting" at the theater: when it happened, some of the people there apparently recorded it on their phones and even sent out tweets.

So how do you regulate your inner cameraman/camerawoman? When is too much too much? And can there be too little?

If the technology to do so existed back in the day I'm sure it would have happened. Back then we had pocket cameras, but with limited shots on them. You had to be selective about what you took a picture of otherwise you could end up out of film and no way to reload and even worse, you had to take the film to get developed and pictures made from it, all of which costs money. You also had no idea if the shot was any good like you do with digital cameras and cameraphones so you could shoot a whole roll of ? up pics trying to catch some ? as it goes down and won't know it until you get it developed.

Video cameras didn't get small until the advent of Sony's Hi8 format and VHS-C and even then it took a while for the size to come down to make it almost feasible to carry one around. Not that this didn't stop ? from hauling them big ass cameras to Freaknic, Black Bike Week, or Kappa Beach and ? , there's plenty of footage of the mother's of Black millenials gettin buck wild and ? naked on VHS tapes in granny's basement as a testament to that.

I still have my last two 35mm pocket cameras along with a few disposables. All of them still have rolls of film in them that I never got developed. I gotta buy two film cannisters if I'm ever going to get the 35mm joints developed and I have no idea what's on those rolls either.
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    as it pertains to concerts, i take my couple pictures when the artist first comes out and maybe a clip of my favorite song but other than that....nah. i'm tryna be in the moment.

because lets be real, how often are you gonna go into your phone and look back at that concert footage? odds are, you are gonna post it to social media and keep it moving.

the only time it counts for something is when an artist says or does some wild ? or some wild ? happens at a show and someone records it. the potential for a viral video is there but slim..

it happened to me once tho..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-oHEax9DE
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you paid attention you'd still have the memories. Life stops as soon as you turn on the camera because you're viewing life second hand imo. Pictures and videos are great to look back on no doubt, but you rob yourself of the full experience imo when you watch life through a lens.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do hate when everyone is having a good time and someone says "let me take my phone out and record/take a pic of this" and it ruins the moment. That concert ? is annoying as ?
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This selfie society just got people burnt out.

Memories are nice to have on photo.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never understood recording at concerts. Like it's just blurry and sounds like ?
  • 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? a trip..like when you have mfs doing things like having to redo marriage proposals because angles were wrong

Or a few weeks ago all of this stores bushes were on fire..had an old lady holding extinguishers but everybody had their phones out recording the ? ...i came way after the fact and ended being a volunteer fire fighter..

? prob not gonna stop until law gets involved.....or we get that implant from black mirrors that record everything you see
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »
    as it pertains to concerts, i take my couple pictures when the artist first comes out and maybe a clip of my favorite song but other than that....nah. i'm tryna be in the moment.

because lets be real, how often are you gonna go into your phone and look back at that concert footage? odds are, you are gonna post it to social media and keep it moving.

the only time it counts for something is when an artist says or does some wild ? or some wild ? happens at a show and someone records it. the potential for a viral video is there but slim..

it happened to me once tho..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-oHEax9DE

Exactly....man I went to an AZ show some months back and recorded a bunch of videos and have never watched them. They just taking up space on my phone. I'll probably never watch em
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i try to take some pictures so i can look back but im consciously tellin myself dont enjoy this ? thru a screen when youre there live in person.

with that said i've taken some vids that were cause for a lot of laughing and roasting and glad i recorded it but it wasnt the recording of the event just the dumb ? me or friends did.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Walking down the street watching ladies go by watching you
    Watching you
    Watching you
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    shiiiiid my life be lit and i jus be wantin to share it wit those i ? wit..

that and ? know if we out and u aint tryin to be seen stay away from me cause i snap EVERYTHING! lmmfao
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never take pictures unless it's some once in a lifetime ? . Rather just enjoy the moment
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    When I realized I recorded the entire kanye concert that my arms was hurting so I put it down and started rapping along

Bad thing is all the vids I recorded sound horrible from how loud the speakers were

Hahaha, same here, man. Just saw Nas and Lauryn Hill last night, and at some point recording some Nas songs, a sudden wave of stupidity hit me when I realized that I was watching more of the show through my phone, yet I was sitting right there in the front seats. And my arm was aching like a ? .

Needless to say, a ? felt stupid. Maybe it's my OCD. I like the couple-of-a-pics-and-one-video-unless-some-wild-? -pops-off plan better.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    One time I was recording at a rock concert and got caught up in a damn mosh pit. Can't believe I didn't drop my phone. I would've been heated!

But I saw some white dudes get a lot less wild when they came around my way. At least 5 white dudes apologized to me right in my face.

I did take the opportunity to shove the hell out of some white girl. She didn't mind anyway. I mean, it was a damn mosh pit, and she pushed me first.
  • Go figure
    Options

Hahaha, same here, man. Just saw Nas and Lauryn Hill last night

off topic but did they perform together? I seen them both in concert some years ago but by the time lauryn showed up nas had to be halfway out the state n she was high af
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

off topic but did they perform together? I seen them both in concert some years ago but by the time lauryn showed up nas had to be halfway out the state n she was high af

Yeah, I wondered about that too before I went.

Short answer: Yes, but only one song ("If I Ruled the World") at the end.

Long answer:
    Some rastas jammed for the opener. Then Hannibal Burress, out of nowhere, came out and did some stand up. After that, Nas went on first alone, did a set, then left (at this point, we were confused as ? because the set wasn't very short but it was relatively short, so we just expected he was coming back). Then Lauryn came on alone, did her set with a band (Nas just had DJ Green Lantern) and back up singers, and left. Then Nas came back on a did a set with the same band and left. Then Lauryn did a set, brought Nas out, sang happy birthday to him (it was his birthday), and then they closed with If I Ruled the World.

Nas did all the classic jawns but nothing much of Life is Good or Lost Tapes. Lauryn did mostly new ? but in a different style, which was a bit weird. It was nice though.

Might be a different set up at other locations though.

Haha, but yeah, Lauryn Hill a trip, but she was alright. The way people/IC had been talking about her, I was half-expecting to regret waiting for her to show up 7 hours late wearing nothing but a diaper. That's not to say that her wardrobe choice wasn't...different.

perw164foddh.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Go figure
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

Yeah, I wondered about that too before I went.

Short answer: Yes, but only one song ("If I Ruled the World") at the end.

Long answer:
    Some rastas jammed for the opener. Then Hannibal Burress, out of nowhere, came out and did some stand up. After that, Nas went on first alone, did a set, then left (at this point, we were confused as ? because the set wasn't very short but it was relatively short, so we just expected he was coming back). Then Lauryn came on alone, did her set with a band (Nas just had DJ Green Lantern) and back up singers, and left. Then Nas came back on a did a set with the same band and left. Then Lauryn did a set, brought Nas out, sang happy birthday to him (it was his birthday), and then they closed with If I Ruled the World.

Nas did all the classic jawns but nothing much of Life is Good or Lost Tapes. Lauryn did mostly new ? but in a different style, which was a bit weird. It was nice though.

Might be a different set up at other locations though.

Haha, but yeah, Lauryn Hill a trip, but she was alright. The way people/IC had been talking about her, I was half-expecting to regret waiting for her to show up 7 hours late wearing nothing but a diaper. That's not to say that her wardrobe choice wasn't...different.

perw164foddh.jpg

when i seen em he did a decent amount of life is good tracks. Green lantern was there too nobody opened up for them though. He also did covers of old school songs. Lauryn literally took an hour and a half to come out a lot of ppl left or was booing. When she finally came out she was repeating hooks like 10x over even the back up dancers were stuttering thinking they were moving on to the next song. I stayed for all that ? though, wouldnt change a thing.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hahaha, same here, man. Just saw Nas and Lauryn Hill last night, and at some point recording some Nas songs, a sudden wave of stupidity hit me when I realized that I was watching more of the show through my phone, yet I was sitting right there in the front seats. And my arm was aching like a ? .

Needless to say, a ? felt stupid. Maybe it's my OCD. I like the couple-of-a-pics-and-one-video-unless-some-wild-? -pops-off plan better.

You mean you saw Nas.
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't like your republican Donald Trump lovin ass, but this is a dope thread.

I will contribute my thoughts at a later date.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I love taking pictures. One picture says a thousand words.

I love getting candid photos of my loved ones when they're not paying attention.

I love that my mother has albums full of photos that will eventually become mine and I plan on having the same for my daughter.

I'm not big on recording everything though. I prefer pictures.