The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stephen A Smith DKSAB so there is that..

Its also funny how the public is deluded int thinking this fight was a great fight because they were told that constantly before hand it was no where near great fight... Ive seen it everywhere that this was one of the greatest fights in history... People are ? bots..

Wasn't even the best fight this year
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GGG clearly won. But you know how that goes. Oscar made that call.

GGG reach was too much for Canelo because GGG stayed out of his range most of the fight. It was a boring but effective strategy. Still got robbed. But so did Jacobs...

With that said, Jacobs beats Canelo if they ever fight.
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw the fight. Can't argue a draw really. Had it 6-5 GGG going into 12th and Canelo took that. Fight got better in later rounds. Both boxed and fought a smart fight. Canelo with the better shots tbh but GGG with the pressure tho wasn't really landing. He really was conscious of Canelo counter and gave him Too much respect. Good fight. Y'all need to cut the ? . No robbery here. GGG did not dominate like he could've.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The closer the fight gets in starting to lean towards GGG.

I just rewatched his fight against Jacobs and dude is a beast. Canelo gonna fade late and get caught

No knockdown, but I knew Canelo stamina was gonna be a problem he got outworked and deserved to lose.

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Again, I'm never gonna claim I'm a big boxing fan, havnt been since Roy Jones in his prime but how was that not a good fight?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Again, I'm never gonna claim I'm a big boxing fan, havnt been since Roy Jones in his prime but how was that not a good fight?

it was an ok fight.. a good fight is competitive a great fight.. is even better.

In terms of how good the fight was .. it was on par with pacquiao mayweather in totality,, The power of influence is real.
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think their saying not a good fight ,But it isn't the classic that the immediate public is saying It is...Like you'd rather hear Terry Atlas thoughts than a casual like Stephen A ..Errol Spence vs Kell Brooks got my vote right now for FOTY
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It was a good fight it's just the biggest criticism of boxing is how its corrupt and this outcome proves that still holds true nothing's changed, everything Atlas said holds true, even though nobody likes a draw I've seen a lot worse outcomes though, it's just when you have judges giving out 118-110 scores to the boxer that the consensus says lost its a dissapointing ending to a great fight
  • Stew
    Options
    Word, I havnt seen or listened to anything outside of thread so I guess I understand..
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was feeling entertained

I thought both fighters could've done more to force the action but there was enough good spots I couldn't be upset about paying

Spence vs Brook was a better fight

• playmaker88
    Options
    It was funny how Canelo was trying to set GGG up but GGG aint take the bait there was one time he was trying to set him up for the check up it would be at the upper right of your TV it wasnt blatant but i noticed it.. GGG should have went to they body more
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What I find funny about Canelo claiming that GGG doesn't have the power everyone says he does is that his body language suggested otherwise.

You don't back pedal the WHOLE fight, only fighting in spurts here and there if your opponent TRULY has no power. ? funny.
  • King_MOEbra
    King_MOEbra Members Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the judges have a fight as a draw at the end of 12 rounds, they should go to a 13th round tiebreaker. Boxing should never have ties. Even hockey got rid of ties.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »
    What I find funny about Canelo claiming that GGG doesn't have the power everyone says he does is that his body language suggested otherwise.

You don't back pedal the WHOLE fight, only fighting in spurts here and there if your opponent TRULY has no power. ? funny.

Also to add...All ive been hearing from casuals are people who just dont watch closley is GGG is one dimensional brawler. when he has fights where he doesn't KO his opponent. WHERE was the power.. Mike Tyson didnt win every fight by KO, George Foreman, Sonny liston the list goes on not only do you here this type of ? from fans but respected experts..
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Although I wasn't buying the hype it certainly didn't live up to it. No knockdowns, canelo was running. I expected a calm precise GGG but I feel he could have worked harder in the end to seal the split decision I called. Canelo baited GGG on the ropes but he didn't go for it, to make it worse his trainer told him to stop doing that. Canelo gased in 8th smh ggg is 35 years old ? a rematch canelo move on be happy you didn't get that L
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oscar made the call so the rematch ggg is older and canelo can adjust and get the w so golden boy and canelo gonna be sitting in top
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *Rd 1: Canelo (close)
    Rd 2: Canelo
    Rd 3: Canelo
    Rd 4: GGG (Canelo's stamina issues started kicking in)
    Rd 5: GGG
    *Rd 6: GGG (one of the swing rounds, razor thin could go either way)
    Rd 7: GGG
    Rd 8: GGG
    Rd 9: GGG
    *Rd 10: Canelo (close)
    Rd 11: Canelo
    Rd 12: Canelo

Draw was a fair call.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Mastery wrote: »
    I thought GGG won a close but clear fight. I gave Canelo only 2 of the last 3 rounds.

Came in here to say this. I was not expecting a draw at all. I was surprised. I still thought it was an entertaining fight but GGG won a rather close fight.

I don't like the draw at all but I get it, HBO needs to milk this because you might not get another super fight like this for a long time. We're getting at least 2 more sequels.

Fam there is more if not better talent out there, black Americans are the top fighters in boxing
  • playmaker88
    Options
    I'd like to hear Mayweather's or Hopkins' opinion on this.

Nah id dont think id expect to hear Mayweather to say anything that isnt beneficial to him. Idk about hopkins

as far as "superfights"thats just marquee talk.. there are tons of great fights every year and a super fight aint really a superfight til after the fight...

In terms of "SUPER FIGHTS" two equally skilled, resume, fighters of similar pedigrees are fighting December 9
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think ggg won, close fight so i can understand the draw or going for canelo but that 118-110 score was a ? joke that ? had her mind made up before the fight she never needs to judge again she has a history of ?
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'd like to hear Mayweather's or Hopkins' opinion on this.

Nah id dont think id expect to hear Mayweather to say anything that isnt beneficial to him. Idk about hopkins

as far as "superfights"thats just marquee talk.. there are tons of great fights every year and a super fight aint really a superfight til after the fight...

In terms of "SUPER FIGHTS" two equally skilled, resume, fighters of similar pedigrees are fighting December 9

There are "Mainstream" Super Fights

Then there are "? " Super Fights

Mayweather vs Pacquiao and Mayweather vs Mcgregor (lol)

Are considered mainstream superfights, because of the popularity of the two fighters and their trash talking ability

At its core, any ? knows that the Mcgregor fight had a bare minimum level of competitiveness and shouldnt be taken seriously

An ? superfight is what Rigondeaux and Lomachenko is

There is no way in hell a casual will be interested in that ?

But for a ? fan, its a great match up
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    And also boxers know that judge is trash they camps need to say ? it and request that she not be the judge im pretty sure someone said last night that a top rank fighter made that request for their fight
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just woke and still mad about this ? ....triple G pressed the action, outlanded him, besides a few spurts in rounds where Canelo got busy ( on Sugar Ray vs Hagler ? ), he did the same ? these casual fans and ? ass comentators hate Floyd for (the irony right)....but from my eyes besides taking a few hard hits here and there this was a easy W for GGG...u can tell how a fight went for a boxer about exactly a minute after the end of the 12 rounds when they are taking off their gear....look at Canelo s whole demeanor while they are taking off his gloves..he knows he lost ( I don't care what his translator says lol)...I aint bout to trip bout 70.00 dollars cuz that aint real money at all...but Coke Boy is a ? ass ? , talked all that ? bout Floyd then make this call cuz he doesn't want to lose his cash cow and set up a rematch....this is ?
  • Stew
    Options