Michael Jordan: His Airness

Options
playmaker88
playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
michael-jordan-xx3.jpg

Growing up as an MJ fan. Ive seen tons of games.. commericials, shoes, Apparel. He was among the trinity of the 3 Mikes. He has a massive NBA, MEDIA, and most notably a Corporate star.

He made it possible for the contemporaries more than any other to maximize their earning potential beyond the court.

But this thread is about, As admired as he was as loved and appreciated by this fans ..He was pretty much oblivious, and above it as far as embracing the fandom of the regular folk. Its just wierd for being a megastar he was really out of touch with his fans.. We all in someway felt apart of MJ on the court.. through his shoes or what have you but he existed in his own world..

This was a notion that came to me yesterday. Even more so than Tiger Woods. Where they baton Muhammad Ali held so tightly and proudly.. As not only a sports/ media darling.. but as a peoples champion as a person who basked in the fandom. He among others, and i speak of Ali because hes the most beloved athelete of all time.. and was by no means perfect but many appreciated him for much more than what he did in the ring.

MJ was truely his AIRNESS because we loved him but he never endeared himself to his fans. Nor did he assume any sort of role other than as a presenter of himself.

Thoughts.

Comments

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    jordan>>>kobe

didn't take long........
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    mr.cj wrote: »
    jordan>>>kobe

co-sign.......
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yea I kno what you mean, dude was more like a character or just a figure head. As fans were attached to him but not the other way around. His relationship with the people is comparable to a ? dealers with theyre customers, its all business. But damn, I grew up admiring dis ? its hard not to. But as an adult I just take it for what it is, he was a great athlete and I loved to watch him play....and some of the shoes were ok too. lol
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    jordan>>>kobe
    Triple cosign
  • Dakari
    Dakari Members Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    kobe-mjordan-photoshop.jpg%3Fw%3D534%26h%3D551...........................
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • playmaker88
    edited March 2011
    Options
    He's done plenty of stuff for his fans in chicago,IL thats all that matters

And I know for a fact he was doin that make a wish stuff before the cameras and has donated millions to charities

I'm sure he has, but he remained above is what im saying .. due to Nike? his own uncomfortability? detachment?

we adored him more than he acknowleged us., not to say he wasn't appreciative but the vibe he gives/gave off when really thinkin about it was odd considering he was so beloved
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    my brother went to a bobcats fantasy camp and said jordan was cool as hell to everyone, he'd have one on one conversations with the people and one guy told MJ that he couldn't make a free throw anymore, and MJ said that he could make a free throw-with both eyes closed. and if he didn't then he would give the whole camp free NIKE's. Jordan made the free throw. no nikes. but he said Jordan was cool as hell in that setting
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The brother use to play basketball against ? in the hood and play them for dough,MOP them one on one and still let have the dough

How is that not acknowledging his fans? What nba player has ever done that?

word i got this "welcome back michael" book from after the first retirement that had a story that said he played a kid at pool for money, beat him, then let him rack the ? for him for his next game to get the money back
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ali grew up in the civil rights era, i don't neccessarily think he had any other choice but to take on the cause, same for Bill Russell. MJ and Tiger never experienced that era, so how can you expect them to take on the same views. If Ali came out in this era, i don't know if he would have the views he had, just too many different variables, it's a more corporate and pc world today.
  • playmaker88
    edited March 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Ali grew up in the civil rights era, i don't neccessarily think he had any other choice but to take on the cause, same for Bill Russell. MJ and Tiger never experienced that era, so how can you expect them to take on the same views. If Ali came out in this era, i don't know if he would have the views he had, just too many different variables, it's a more corporate and pc world today.

Aight since you touched on it.. remember ? was gettin murked for Jordan back in the day .. the plight didnt stop in the 80's as far as civilrights/social commentaries ? was a whole other level with the ? era.. he could have been more.. Not just with that but other things more touchable, of instead of exiled to his own world.he just never was among the people on not just speaking on Social issues.. but ? just embracing his fandom in on a scale comparable to what the fans felt.
  • Darius
    edited March 2011
    Options
    and i personally believe Tiger Woods is far more aloof and detached from his fans than Jordan.
  • usmarin3
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Aight since you touched on it.. remember ? was gettin murked for Jordan back in the day .. the plight didnt stop in the 80's as far as civilrights/social commentaries ? was a whole other level with the ? era.. he could have been more.. Not just with that but other things more touchable, of instead of exiled to his own world.he just never was among the people on not just speaking on Social issues.. but ? just embracing his fandom in on a scale comparable to what the fans felt.

? was getting murked for Starter Jackets, i didn't hear mfs ? to the company about it. I don't think it's fair to MJ that he must carry on the civil rights mantra, i hate when we do this to each other as a people, whenever one of us attain success we must carry the banner for the whole race. I just think MJ was a business man plain and simple, he understood white people bought his product too and i just don't think he was that type of person who felt the need to speak out against something. Not everyones path is Ali. MJ was just a business man imo, he didn't want to tarnish the brand, unfortunately he is black and people try to push the civil rightes/whole race mantle on him.
  • Darius
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Notice white people dont merk each other over material ? its strictly a black community problem
    sboogie wrote: »
    I would ? to see the stats you have that will back up this madness....

lol...........intentional or not
  • ImGettingOld
    ImGettingOld Members Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Lebron>>jordan>>>kobe

damn bruh.....
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

? need to get over this "i need a savior" complex, lookin in all the wrong places for te next mlk/malcolm/ali
  • usmarin3
    edited March 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    Tiger ? his fans...lol

True, Tiger Woods nor MJ are aloof, i know people who have met them and said they were down to Earth, especially Tiger. Don't let the media determine perception of an athlete.

I would think Tiger Woods ? a bunch of skeeos and calling the ? asking her to erase would of showed he isn't on some stuck up ? . I think there is the real Tiger and Nike Tiger image. If you ever see some behind the scenes ? , Tiger be farting around the camera man and ? . lol
  • playmaker88
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • Dakari
    Dakari Members Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    MJ Great player no doubt. Great person ehhh. MJ doesnt care about the betterment of people only betterment of MJ
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i went to school w his son and met him a few times once in Vegas lol and he s cool as ? . Plus everybody from Chicago knows the ? went out if his way to do good deeds specially to hood niccas. so holla at farrakhan if u looking for a social leader..........
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Dude was just a ball player, i didn't look up to him for anything else. It's not his job or Tiger's to be the spokesperson for blacks.
  • playmaker88
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The OP didnt mention anything about being a leader.. but it was in response to USmarine.. and well with great power.. comes great responsibility.. Word to spiderman.. alll i was initially saying was that he hovered above...
This discussion has been closed.