YEP I DID IT !! Locs/dreadloc appreciation THREAD!!!

Options

Comments

• IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its the worse when I step into my crib. For some reason once I step inside my apartment, my scalp just goes into an itch-rage. Without fail every time I get back from outside. This seriously cant be life ~X(
  • Ree4er Madness
    Ree4er Madness Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    Its the worse when I step into my crib. For some reason once I step inside my apartment, my scalp just goes into an itch-rage. Without fail every time I get back from outside. This seriously cant be life ~X(

LoL, I feel you bro..I have natural dandriff too so I really went through that itch phase....Also, IMO you don't need to wash your hair so much, the less you wash it, the faster it should loc up....Then when they're locked, you can wash them more often but in general before I started growing them, I was told not to wash them that often and use other products instead...Now that I'm 8 years in, I don't wash them very often, maybe every 6 months.
  • Ree4er Madness
    Ree4er Madness Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    Bro, as soon as your hair is long enough for someone to grab(depends on how good they can do dreads) then you're ready...They don't have to be wormy...Your hair will develop its own personality. Just ask someone you know can do dreads if they can do yours. Pretty sure they can as long as they can grip it. You don't have to get them braided first. You can go for some twists which are easier for someone to do until your hair gets longer. Twists look good also and the longer your hair is either twisted or dreaded, the faster it will start to grow....

But everybody had to go through that mini-fro stage at one point..don't even trip on that...
    OhMars wrote: »
    My biggest regrets on getting dreadlocks its not starting sooner. I was waiting for my hair to get longer but all that combing stifles the growth. Just get some twist, depending on your hair type, you will be loced in about 3 months

Good lookin' out. If that's the case, I'm already falling behind. My hair's more than long enough for those baby/starter twists.

Straight up bro..just go for it...You should be good...
  • shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LoL, I feel you bro..I have natural dandriff too so I really went through that itch phase....Also, IMO you don't need to wash your hair so much, the less you wash it, the faster it should loc up....Then when they're locked, you can wash them more often but in general before I started growing them, I was told not to wash them that often and use other products instead...Now that I'm 8 years in, I don't wash them very often, maybe every 6 months.

say g you filthy dena muhfugga lol hair smellin sour dena ?

your hair is locked now you betta wash dat ? outchea smell like buffalo ass

@sixsicksins come educate this dude
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? happens wrote: »

say g you filthy dena muhfugga lol hair smellin sour dena ?

your hair is locked now you betta wash dat ? outchea smell like buffalo ass

@sixsicksins come educate this dude

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. No hair, regardless of style, should go more than a month and a half without at least getting rinsed.

People tend to forget that the scalp must also be maintained. It produces necessary sebum and leaving the hair/scalp unclean will cause dirt buildup and block pores. That is not conducive to creating a healthy environment whatsoever, which could be the reason your dreads aren't longer @Ree4er Madness. 8 years of growth? Even in spite of individual genetic growth rates, my calculations indicate that your hair should be longer than mine, as I have roughly 5 years of growth. Please begin washing your hair once per month now as a standard seeing as your hair should be fully loc'd now and not in danger of unraveling.

Always remember that hair AND scalp is a package deal...both must be maintained.
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At this point he probably needs to do an apple cider vinegar rinse to completely strip all the build up from his locs and scalp first, then focus on maintaining with regular washes.
  • OhMars
    edited April 2014
    Options
    What are y'all washing and conditioning with. Ive been using Giovanni's at home with good results.
  • TrueraPP
    TrueraPP Members Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Options
    At this point he probably needs to do an apple cider vinegar rinse to completely strip all the build up from his locs and scalp first, then focus on maintaining with regular washes.

Chick over coli told me about that im do that today or the weekend..............
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Aight cool I'm glad theres no issues with me washing my hair. I was told already from mad people I should be washing my hair. I only wash once every 2 weeks anyways. I was recommended this

25g8jec.jpg

I'm going to get my locs retwisted tomorrow. Don't want them to be too neat cause I like the messy look but I've had so much new growth ? looking rough out here lol
  • shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So you use a detangling shampoo on your dreads?? Dafuck

Yall need to educate yourselves on proper hair care

Adding up negatives blindly subtracting
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    8 years and thats it?!?! I cut all my hair off 4 years ago and my ? longer, hanging and swanging nh
    its gotta be another side, friend.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Let that struggle dread ? cook

it could be an old pic, or he got most of it pulled up

I def don't use detangle shampoo, hustling backwards
  • GodNThaBuild'n
    GodNThaBuild'n Members Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The hair on top of my head is to fine and won't twist like my sides and back. I refuse to post a pic of my retwist. Damn the struggle
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The hair on top of my head is to fine and won't twist like my sides and back. I refuse to post a pic of my retwist. Damn the struggle

It'll get there. just be patient. You can add a small extension to them so they catch faster
  • MzKB
    Options

When I first started I used this....it was ok

321135.jpg

but sea breeze did the trick...use it as a pre-wash or just massage your scalp with it. Try not to use a lot because it does contain alcohol and will dry your hair. But this thing works

$(KGrHqMOKooE32-(S)1-BOCKiLOltw~~_35.JPG

If you wanna go the all natural route you can use apple cider vinegar rinse as someone already mentioned.
  • MzKB
    Options
    What are y'all washing and conditioning with. Ive been using Giovanni's at home with good results.

I switch mine up about every 3 months:

I use Barry Fletcher products
    Shea moisture
    Getting ready to use Treseme naturals line. I use to use treseme years ago and it was good.
  • GodNThaBuild'n
    GodNThaBuild'n Members Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw no extensions I think I'm good. I do see a lil bit of growth tho
  • OhMars
    Options
    MzKB wrote: »

Shea moisture
    Getting ready to use Treseme naturals line. I use to use treseme years ago and it was good.

Since you switch up so frequently, which brand has given you the best results. Once I find a product I tend to stick with it.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    ? happens wrote: »
    So you use a detangling shampoo on your dreads?? Dafuck

Yall need to educate yourselves on proper hair care

Adding up negatives blindly subtracting

Obviously not ?

I use the shampoo of the same brand

The pic I posted was an old pic another poster posted a couple pages back

And ? whomever said "struggle dread ? "

When I first started I used this....it was ok

321135.jpg

but sea breeze did the trick...use it as a pre-wash or just massage your scalp with it. Try not to use a lot because it does contain alcohol and will dry your hair. But this thing works

$(KGrHqMOKooE32-(S)1-BOCKiLOltw~~_35.JPG

If you wanna go the all natural route you can use apple cider vinegar rinse as someone already mentioned.

I have that Organic Herbal Cleanse dry shampoo, I dont use it too often tho. Mostly cause I never get all of it outta my hair. I got my locs retwisted today their longer now I need to chop down the length some.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

smh whoever told you to do this lied to you bro, wash your hair ? ...i wonder how many other people you gave this ignant advice to

I wash my ? at least once every 2-3 days... I didn't go to the beauty salon to get my ? done either I twisted it myself and I been washing it faithfully since that first week.

smh You probably got a ton of buildup and sweat and dry skin from all in your locs. You doing your scalp a disservice, my man...Washing your hair actually promotes growth and locking

Don't disgrace every dreadhead by playing into the stereotype that our hair stinks and is ?
  • MzKB
    Options

Shea moisture

Since you switch up so frequently, which brand has given you the best results. Once I find a product I tend to stick with it.

@OhMars‌ the best one so far has been the shea moisture line of products:

tried this one first and it was ok

Shea+Moisture+raw.JPG

But this one made my hair feel so soft and manageable

DSCN1024.JPG
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Got my locs retwisted along with the new growth. Now a ? lookin like Future smh Ima cut them down some since I'm not a fan of having them long. I just needed a touch up.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Question for everybody; How many locs yall got?

I counted mine yesterday, I got 141 smh thats waaaay too many, honestly aint think I had that many.

I'm a start freforming anyway so they gone connect up
  • OhMars
    Options
    I have 206. Mine are a little smaller then I wanted but not by that much.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    70-80 give or take