Better movement: Chopped and Screwed or Hyphy Movement?

Options
ysl313
ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Face Off Forum
The Hyphy Movement
The word hyphy (pronounced /ˈhaɪfiː/ hy-fee) is short for "hyperactive." It was created by Bay Area rapper Keak Da Sneak when he used the term on an album he recorded in 1994. From the USA Today article: "Every record label was getting at us at that time, but we fumbled the ball," says E-40, whose My Ghetto Report Card entered the Billboard album chart at No. 3 in March. "I hung on like a hubcap in the fast lane along with a few other rappers, and now it's time again. We had a 10-year drought and they went to other regions and were bypassing us like the sand out here. But we're trendsetters, and the rap game without the Bay Area is like old folks without bingo." Although the hyphy movement has just recently seen light in mainstream America, it has been a long standing and evolving culture in the Bay Area. Hyphy can be seen as the San Francisco equivalent to G-Funk in Los Angeles.
The phrase "to get hyphy" refers to when an individual acts or dances in an overstated, fast paced, and ridiculous manner. This is similar to the southern phrase "to get crunk" but without the drug and alcohol references. Those who consider themselves part of the hyphy movement would describe this behavior as what they strive their movement to be. In contrast to much of popular American culture where these phrases would be considered negative or even insulting, Hyphy is distinguished by taking this kind of behavior as a form of pride, with some locales in the bay area even hosting their own regional dance styles. Hyphy as an adjective, "the hyphy movement" is a cultural term: regional slang that refers to the dance itself as well as party atmosphere, lifestyle, and independent Bay Area music referred to as hyphy music.

Examples:
Chopped and Screwed

Chopped and screwed (sometimes called screwed and chopped or slowed and throwed) refers to a technique of remixing hip hop music which developed in the Houston hip hop scene in the 1990s. This is accomplished by slowing the tempo down to between 60 - 70 quarter-note beats per minute and applying techniques such as skipping beats, record scratching, stop-time, and affecting portions of the music to make a "chopped-up" version of the original.
Preceding the early 1990s, most Southern hip hop was upbeat and fast, like Miami bass and crunk. In Houston, a different approach of slowing music down, rather than speeding it up, developed. It is unknown when DJ Screw definitively created "chopped and screwed" music: although people around Screw have indicated any time between 1984 to 1991, Screw said he started slowing music down in 1990. There is no debate, however, that DJ Screw invented the music style. While marijuana was integral and purple drank may have affected the origins of screw music.
Screw is thought to have discovered the style one day when experimenting with his turntables. He discovered that dramatically reducing the pitch of a record gave a mellow, heavy sound that emphasized lyrics to the point of almost storytelling. After messing around with the sound for a while Screw started making full length "Screw Tapes". At first the music was only referred to as "Screw music," was limited to the South Side of Houston, and was seen as laid-back driving music. As Screw's tapes started to gain popularity he started selling his tapes for around $10. Screw was known to feature some of Houston's most renowned rappers from the South Side. This eventually led to the formation of the Screwed Up Click.

Examples:
Which movement was better?

Comments

• ysl313
    edited August 2011
    Options
    bump
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2011
    Options
    they both whack. Chopped in screwed is way worse though who really sits and listens to that.

and dead at listening to drake chopped and screwed.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    they both whack. Chopped in screwed is way worse though who really sits and listens to that.

a LOT of people was jammin that down herr bwoi...i still got some screw tapes...that hyphy ? was alright but i dont know what it was based on or what started it...but yeah its some ? that live by screw in the souf...
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Chopped & screwed by a longshot...
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2011
    Options
    HAF BAYKED wrote: »
    a LOT of people was jammin that down herr bwoi...i still got some screw tapes...that hyphy ? was alright but i dont know what it was based on or what started it...but yeah its some ? that live by screw in the souf...

i know its big in Texas but i don't see the point behind it.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i know its big in Texas but i don't see the point behind it.

probably cuz ya sprite ain't the right color ya dig
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Uptown81
    Uptown81 Members Posts: 32
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I would say Chopped and Screwed. If you talking mainstream success, more screw artist benefited from the movement than the Hyphy movement. Lil Flip, Slim Thug, Paul Wall, Mike Jones all at least had some mainstream success. Hyphy had a few successful songs but the only artists that benefited were already established like E-40 and Too Short.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Q45T wrote: »
    Chopped & screwed by a longshot...

Yep...................................
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Shot out to my Texas ? ......But you already know.....
  • Turfaholic
    edited August 2011
    Options
    T/S cant bring all the angles of hyphy like I can. Yall prolly wont like the federation song.
  • ysl313
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    T/S cant bring all the angles of hyphy like I can. Yall prolly wont like the federation song.
    i probably can't...go head, lil ?
  • the best 1
    the best 1 Members Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

C/S..........
  • Turfaholic
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ysl313 wrote: »
    i probably can't...go head, lil ?

Gracias.................
  • im_lux
    im_lux Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    That chopped n screwed ? is horrible though...why the ? i wanna listen to some ? i already heard 2x slower i liked the song now you makin the ? sound like a broken cassette tape?
  • Turfaholic
    edited August 2011
    Options
    im_lux wrote: »
    That chopped n screwed ? is horrible though...why the ? i wanna listen to some ? i already heard 2x slower i liked the song now you makin the ? sound like a broken cassette tape?

Smoke some good weed, and drive to the mall.......gotta be real good weed tho. Hell sip some lean, that ? go hard at times.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Gotta be chopped and screwed, is dat hyphy ? even still around fa real
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I tried chopped and screwed just could'nt get into it
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I tried chopped and screwed just could'nt get into it

what he said
  • im_lux
    im_lux Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Smoke some good weed, and drive to the mall.......gotta be real good weed tho. Hell sip some lean, that ? go hard at times.

Nah man if I can't listen to it sober it ain't good music. If the whole appeal of listening to Chopped N Screwed is being high or on lean when you do then what exactly is the real appeal to it?
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Chopped and Screwed..............
  • specioegif
    specioegif Members Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Options
    1. Go to rack Prize Wrap that Blossoms – Okay, this is very cool. Concoct a wrapping distribute that you wishes station in place of of throwing away. These are biodegradable legal papers embedded with wildflower seeds. Conclusively you’re done using the paper, just place and branch water representing attractive blossoms. There’s no waste.
    2. Nepalese Recycled Silk Sari Fibre – Vibrantly colored and inimitable fibre guaranteed to be a unrivalled gift. Get helps require an receipts to under other circumstances disadvantaged women while simultaneously using otherwise-discarded constitution waste.
    3. USB Heating Blanket – Is your boss too second-rate to recompense because of a insufficient intensity in the office? Show your boss a dwarf respect alongside buying an moving blanket that plugs into your computer. :) In all seriousness, if your computer is next to a drafty window or a frigid limit, this seems handy to throw as a remainder your legs or put to use the button clasp to press a mask since your shoulders.
    4. Solar Powered Night Elucidation – I love these eco friendly items. They recharge during the date on wringing wet animation from natural lights and you can utilize them at night time as a relaxed atmospheric chamber light.
    5. Tibetan Singing Bowls – Singing roll gives clear, beautiful sound, holy for the treatment of beginning and ending meditation periods. Here’s a blue layout with cute packaging. I opinion own this one.
    6. Recycled Critique Coasters - Beautifully made unique coasters reuse earth’s resource.
    7. Little Solar Charger – Colossal for traveling. Bill your phone, ipod and other electronics.
    8. Bamboo Cotton Bath Robes – I’ve in no way met anyone who doesn’t get a kick a exact light-weight, soft-feel bath robe.
    9. Solar LED Ancestry Numbers - I assume these are decent moorland cool. Appealing house numbers which are solar powered. I beloved the novel look of these designs. Also absolutely hands-on into the home.
    10. MiniCards – Moo makes these genuinely relaxed and seductive bigwig cards. Coax a caddy for your capacity receiver. Be creative with the images you prefer looking for them, or use existing designs. Moo also offers largesse certificates. These are particularly excellent if you arrange a minor or twenty-something on your alms list. They’ll about you’re cool. And be proud to exude these out to their friends.
    11. Neck & Work hard Pleasure Mechanism – I am sitting most of the times after my chore, and my neck and shoulders can indisputably behoove stretch after several hours. Here’s a gentlemanly miniature gizmo to help us relax. You can envisage a more engaging duplicate of the upshot here.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Chopped and Screwed is for zonin off that good!
    Not everything sounds good chopped and screwed and if u don't sound good rappin regular chopped n screwed aint gone save you! I don't listen to paul wall or mike jones if i wanna hear ignorant abc lyrics I can't understand that at regular pace fine.
    If Ima listen to some screwed and chopped its gonna have to be someone like KB Da Kidnappa cuz choppin n ? his sh_t
    can bring it down to a pace where it could break it down while your in a zone off that good!
    I don't have to worry bout listening to some deppresing azz n_ggaz that wanna ? theyself and wanna cry about misery to much we all go through struggles don't mean I wanna hear you tell me bout how misreable you are all the time or crazy you are.
    I don't have to listen to Pac wannabees or any hood hoppers set trippin thinkin you big just cuz you part of a certain clique and your fans get closed minded and snobby when the majority of them chopped up boyz that try to freestyle or on some ignant sh_t Im comin down so throwed man hold up?<-thats rap no its f_cking ? and Im tired of this kinda sound n style is what defines 3rd Coast!
    Thats why I don't really like Z-Ro cuz he started with The Killa ? and when he got more known he started claimin SUC hard alot of boyz was claimin Dj Screw's name for publicity and SUC!
    If KB & Street Military were sell outs they could of hollered at Screw to get in the clique but naw the kept it G and one hundred to themselves not just trying to chase coat tail.
    KB & Street Military aint have to ride d_ck cuz Dj Screw was a big fan of theirs!
    Dj Screw knew they were real thats why he decided to put them on albums n tapes not like some of the others tryna to be down with Screw! Dj Screw and SUC had allready started their own movement that made rappers names get big then you have the coat tailers that saw an oppurtunity and one they got in they forgot about the n-ggaz they started instead showing luv to the heart of the real they rather put them average sub par mcs on their albums.
    Dj Screw was a great inovative Dj!
    What is a DJ without real rappers?
    Killa ? & S.P.C. are those real rappers!
    Z-Ro is really S.P.C. educated or he would of been rappin man im comin down drinking purple stuff<-wack azz lyrics!
    Now Z-Ro's fans wanna act like they wasn't influenced and taught by the real street lyricist like that kinda sh_t originated from SUC!<-? !
  • LOLCL
    LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    chopped & screwed r&b is the GOAT music to ? too