Best Hip-Hop album of 1996? AEOM? RD? IWW?

Options

Comments

• YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Damn, 1996 was a good year....
    Can't really choose but smh @ AEOM leading in the votes. That album was filler central....
  • innercity99
    innercity99 Members Posts: 892
    edited August 2011
    Options
    as of 2011, nobody still hasnt heard that tree,

u'd think ? wud go out and cop his so called classic by now....WTT will outsell RD (current figures) before the end of the year....Jay fans and even hs stans dont really care about that album, however much they PRETEND online lmao

AEOM and MATW are still selling

two classics in a year> one overrated album that nobody plays still to this day

have U heard it?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    All ? Eyez On Me

A Banger
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    AEOM...followed by 7 Day Theory
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    have U heard it?

RD of-course?

i was a teenager in 96, so i was listening to everything,

RD wasnt poppin anywhere, it got hyped up a little some years later and the hip hop revisionists/jay stans who were lil babies during the 90's think it was something special

even still it hit Plat status in 2003 and doesnt sell as much as Jays other albums, simply because majority of Jays fanbase dont ? with it, RD gets no plays in the real world, minus Marcey.

AEOM defines 1996, Pac had the "world" on lock down with Cali Luv, How Do U Want It, etc.....when i think of 1996 all i can hear is Cali Luv playing

7 day Theory came out end of 96, and then Hail Mary dropped in early 1997 and that was one of the biggest records of 97.

RD simply doesnt compare,
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    That's not the point how can you claim no one was checking for it yet it went gold the year it was released
  • thesynthesis
    edited August 2011
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    That's not the point how can you claim no one was checking for it yet it went gold the year it was released

sorry gold is nothing special in 1996, when everyone was goin plat

jay also had biggy feature and biggy in his videos, yet he only found a small % of ? in NY to ? with him

after that album jay dumbed down his style cuz it simply did not sell, thus is why majority of jays fanbase prefer new jay to old jay.
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    sorry gold is nothing special in 1996, when everyone was goin plat

jay also had biggy feature and biggy in his videos, yet he only found a small % of ? in NY to ? with him

after that album jay dumbed down his style cuz it simply did not sell, thus is why majority of jays fanbase prefer new jay to old jay.

Or you can say he went gold despite not being on a major and with little national exposure. But it depends on your point of view
  • JayToTheZ
    JayToTheZ Members Posts: 454
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt > It was written.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Those options are ? ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!! 96 was a beautiful year for Hip Hop. Im going to go with my personal favorite Iron Man though...
  • thesynthesis
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If I Ruled The World>>>>>Every Song on RD

What was RD even about ? bunch of songs about sellin ?

no substance
  • Makaveli The King
    Makaveli The King Members Posts: 562
    edited August 2011
    Options

no substance

lol this is funny as hell
    not to mention it was written was lyrically better.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

no substance

Exactly what substance do you expect to get out of the era where Mafioso rap was popular in New York?....I agree Shawn Knowles followed the blueprint when he crafted RD, but what he released was close to perfection even though it went under the radar. "Can't knock the hustle" >>>> "If I ruled the world".
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    but 96 was the year when legends were made and broken, to me the final golden year

that time will never come again, that many dope albums in one year, impossible

I agree with you that in '96 Hip-hop was in it's peak and that's when I truly got into buying the albums. As far as the final golden I have to disagree with that, I would say '98 was the final golden year of Hip-Hip in terms of the quality. DMX drop 2 albums in that year his best ones imo, Outkast dropped Aquemni, & Jay came with Hard knock life. '97 was just a ? up year for Hip-Hop.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    y the knock on rd when legal drug money, ironman,and hell on earth did about the same commercially or maybe a little better at the time
  • optonCekwek
    optonCekwek Members Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Good day I am so thrilled I found your web site, I really found you by accident, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a remarkable post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the superb work. Burbank electrician
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I remember 96 very clearly. That summer all i heard on the radio was "If I Ruled The World" from every car and radio. Lauryn's chorus used to be sang by girls all in PA where I was staying.

Props need to be given to Legal Drug Money, that album doesn't get the credit it deserves. Muddy Waters & The Coming were really popular amongst my fam that year. Mobb Deep had a dope album but they didn't too much attention from too many people that year.... which is a damn shame because Hell On Earth is a classic still.

Props should go to 2pac who definitely owned 96 in quality & quantity that year. It was terrible to lose him. My older cousin swore he would never listen to hip hop again that year because of Pac's death. The crazy thing about that is that hip hop began to decline that year.

Honestly, that was a great year for hip hop. Nas & the Fugees & 2pac were the soundtrack for that summer. I can't forget about ATLiens, Stakes Is High, & Beats, Rhymes, & Life either.
  • son of 1973
    son of 1973 Members Posts: 769
    edited August 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    I remember 96 very clearly. That summer all i heard on the radio was "If I Ruled The World" from every car and radio. Lauryn's chorus used to be sang by girls all in PA where I was staying.

Props need to be given to Legal Drug Money, that album doesn't get the credit it deserves. Muddy Waters & The Coming were really popular amongst my fam that year. Mobb Deep had a dope album but they didn't too much attention from too many people that year.... which is a damn shame because Hell On Earth is a classic still.

Nas & the Fugees & 2pac were the soundtrack for that summer. I can't forget about ATLiens, Stakes Is High, & Beats, Rhymes, & Life either.

that was my ? that year too.
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    the top 10 biggest songs of 96

1. tupac featuring dr dre- california love
    2. bone thugs- crossroads
    3. fugees- killing me softly
    4. junior mafia- get money
    5. fugees- ready or not
    6. nas featuring lauryn hill- if i ruled the world
    7. busta rhymes- woo ha
    8. ll cool j- doin it
    9. westside connection- bow down
    10. lost boyz- rene
  • thesynthesis
    edited August 2011
    Options
    thats one hell of a play list, i can hear each song in my head as i read that list
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    that was my ? that year too.

Flipmode Squad Vs. Def Squad is still my ? .
  • the beat
    the beat Members Posts: 84
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Goin with ATLiens on this one, but its close with RD.
  • the beat
    the beat Members Posts: 84
    edited August 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Flipmode Squad Vs. Def Squad is still my ? .

Mine too. Dope track...
  • innercity99
    innercity99 Members Posts: 892
    edited August 2011
    Options
    RD of-course?

i was a teenager in 96, so i was listening to everything,

RD wasnt poppin anywhere, it got hyped up a little some years later and the hip hop revisionists/jay stans who were lil babies during the 90's think it was something special

even still it hit Plat status in 2003 and doesnt sell as much as Jays other albums, simply because majority of Jays fanbase dont ? with it, RD gets no plays in the real world, minus Marcey.

AEOM defines 1996, Pac had the "world" on lock down with Cali Luv, How Do U Want It, etc.....when i think of 1996 all i can hear is Cali Luv playing

7 day Theory came out end of 96, and then Hail Mary dropped in early 1997 and that was one of the biggest records of 97.

RD simply doesnt compare,

ok and with that being said how can u say nobody was checking 4 it back then if even U urself was checking 4 it enough to listen to the album and im not sure where u from but
    im sure u dont fly around the country in ur G4 asking people for there opinion on the album so maybe where U were no one was checking 4 it but that doesnt make it a bad

album thats just like saying since everyone was checking 4 Vanilla Ice that Album was dope back in 1990 cause it sold 11 mill and u also saying that if pac AEOM aint sale 5 mill it
    would have been wack?? ? u know u reaching and u just talking out ur ass like u always do whether it sales or not a dope album is a dope album... im sure everyone in here

who voted for RD aint from Marcy ? lls smh and the ? ? say about "well the only reason ? say RD a Classic is cause Jay says it yea ok just like the only reason ? say Wayne is the Greatest Rapper Alive is cause Wayne says it oh wait they dont... DISSSSSSSSSS ? smh
  • thesynthesis
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ......................................................................................

2pac-toss-it-up-o.gif