Who Was The Most Overrated Artist Of The Last Decade?

Options

Comments

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Jay-Z, 50 and Lil Wayne. Simple as that
  • Internat!onal
    Internat!onal Members Posts: 72
    edited January 2010
    Options
    50, Eminem...I would say jay is overrated, but not the most overrated.

50 for the obvious reason, haven't listened to an album by dude since GRODT, nor do i care too...all them beefs wit jada/d-block and them ? he got his ass spanked and the best he could do was talk ? @ the end of the record, smh...and yet he supposed to be a rapper, smh...then all them beef, circus antics he be pullin which got old to me real quick and just got old to the general public now.

Eminem he can spit, can't take that away from him, but he aint no different from your Blackthought, Crooked i or even Cannibus lyrically...his best album was MMLP, i'll say its a classic, tho i'm not really sure, but ight i'll let it slide as a classic...and his albums have got weaker since then, i aint bothered to listened to them shyts either, Eminem show was ight i guess, his singles just get worse and all that bs flow and ? he be pullin dont really get me like that...point is yea he talented, specially for a white rapper which is why he overrated, had he been black he would be put under the same light and be given the same attention that a mos def/talib/common sense get...plus he songs aint got no REPLAY VALUE and if yall real wit yallselves yall will agree, dont remember an Em song that i would play in the whip and keep it on rotation.

Finnaly, Jay-z, i would say he one of the greatest, behind Pac and Nas and Ice Cube...He clearly overrated tho, ? be actin like he ? , like he really j-hova to yall ? , smh...? is pathetic, i havent bothered to listen to him since The Black Album which to me is his best album, he really should have called it quits there, at least artistically, cuz obviously business wise he has only blossomed since then, thanks to Beyonce and his image and star power gettin stronger and more influencial, but artistically to me he lost me after the black album, he clearly lost his self and he forcing himself, no longer sounds natural and like he could flow on water, one of the things i used to like the most was the way he flowed, like how he did on kanye west diamonds rmx and rick ross hustlin, he cant pull that ? off anymore or please my ears like that anymore, so yep...there you have it...
  • pharaoh1983
    pharaoh1983 Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    damn this is a very long list lol
    1) Papoose - his music sucks and he raps way to ? much
    2) Maino - c'mon lets be serious....... seriously like for real
    3)The Game - another one that raps entirely to much and his name dropping is what makes him even more wack.
    4) Lil Wayne - I understand his "work ethic" is suppose to be up the wall , but I mean let him have a whole album talking about something , you know like substance, not that he is a martian smh
  • bcAlfine
    bcAlfine Members Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Birdman ?
    Gucci (sry gucci fans) haha

have great music to hear but nothing worth listening too
  • complex7
    complex7 Members Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Definitely Lil Wayne!
  • chriskyte410717
    chriskyte410717 Members Posts: 383
    edited January 2010
    Options
    im lookin at all the names people are throwing out there and some of these names shouldnt even qualify. Too Short, Jay-z, and eminem shouldnt be mentioned simply because they are legends and have MULTIPLE classic albums. if you say dont like them fine, but you cannot dethrone their legendary status. if you do thats just full blown hating.

People like joe budden, pappose, maino, chingy, and birdman shouldnt be mentioned because they havent really done anything to even be considered overrated. everybody i just mentioned in this paragraph had a hot single and then fizzeled away. they were popping for like 6 months then disappeared, with the exception of budden because of slaughterhouse, and birdman because of wayne and cash money. nobody ever considered none of these rappers as top tier or putting out classic anything. maybe budden for his recent work with slaughterhouse and the mood muzik series but thats it.

my pick for most overrated is young jeezy. his metaphors are sub-par, his songs are only suitable for certain situations, and i cant see him rapping circles around anyone. for as much attention he gets and for ? saying he has classic albums, he is overrated. if it wasnt for those beats his ? would be ass. if you think about it, most rappers that are considered beasts are lyrically nice no matter what beat their lyrics are on. his ad-libs keep most of his songs afloat. dont get me wrong, i ? wit jeezy but out of everybody this past decade, he is the most overrated.

and start giving reasons why you say ? are overrated. People just saying ? and leaving. state some facts or something lol
  • SoulRattler of Venom
    SoulRattler of Venom Members Posts: 458
    edited January 2010
    Options
    50 Cent bar none.
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I gotta agree on 50.
  • B1zzy
    B1zzy Members Posts: 4
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Lil Wayne hands down with Kanye pulling a close 2nd. At his level of success (10+ years in the game), Wayne should not still be allowed to consistently pass off incoherent lyrics and weak metaphors . As another poster said previously, NO ONE else in the game would be allowed to get away with the garbage that Lil Wayne spits and be considered the hottest rapper in the game. The rap game is saturated with so many lame artists right now and the bar is set really low. Lil Wayne is only considered hot because of the lack of competition in the rap game. I've yet to hear a hot 16 , let alone a classic album from Lil Wayne. Ridiculously overrated and over exposed.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco....he's boring as hell.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm surprised so many of ya'll are saying Jay-Z. Are ya'll trying to say BP3 wasn't hot??? ? is damn near close to a classic, I will play this album 10 years from now. American Gangster was declared a classic by Rolling Stone Magazine. The Black Album is another tight album, although I truly do believe it is an overrated album. Otherwise, Jay-Z has dropped at least 3 classic records that will stand the test of time. Reasonable Doubt, American Gangster, Blueprint 1 are among the few that should be considered classics, if you truly analyze the lyrics to each of these albums. Sick, crazy stuff with incredible wordplay....Jay-Z overrated? NEVER THAT
  • Stack Money
    Stack Money Members Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    im lookin at all the names people are throwing out there and some of these names shouldnt even qualify. Too Short, Jay-z, and eminem shouldnt be mentioned simply because they are legends and have MULTIPLE classic albums. if you say dont like them fine, but you cannot dethrone their legendary status. if you do thats just full blown hating.

and start giving reasons why you say ? are overrated. People just saying ? and leaving. state some facts or something lol
    FOH you sayin they shouldn't even qualify is just full blown stannin, your post is exactly why ? is sayin they overrated. Anytime ? like you start sayin so and so is exempt from this type of convo that makes them overrated, and smh @ you callin Eminem a legend and sayin he got multiple classics. You just mad the ? you stan some people just ain't feelin, get over it.
    I'm surprised so many of ya'll are saying Jay-Z. Are ya'll trying to say BP3 wasn't hot??? ? is damn near close to a classic, I will play this album 10 years from now.
    It is a classic
  • chriskyte410717
    edited January 2010
    Options
    FOH you sayin they shouldn't even qualify is just full blown stannin, your post is exactly why ? is sayin they overrated. Anytime ? like you start sayin so and so is exempt from this type of convo that makes them overrated, and smh @ you callin Eminem a legend and sayin he got multiple classics. You just mad the ? you stan some people just ain't feelin, get over it.

It is a classic

lol at you gettin all bent outta shape cause these ? i mentioned ARE legends. i just saw somebody name three classic jay albums, em's first two were classic, and dont even get me started with too short. if you go to the D and ask ? to name the greatest artist from there, eminem will be said 99%. if you go to new york and tell ? to name the greats, jayz will be said 99% of the time. if you go out to the west and ask about too short, you know the legendary story your gonna get. how you gonna start internet thuggin cause i started stating facts. and you didnt even answer the thread. you just wasted hella time son
  • Triple B's
    Triple B's Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ? outta here.....Jay-z overrated? seriously? Whatever. Ur opinion.

50 is overrated. Ever since The Massacrs, his music has basically been ass.
  • Stack Money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lol at you gettin all bent outta shape cause these ? i mentioned ARE legends. i just saw somebody name three classic jay albums, em's first two were classic, and dont even get me started with too short. if you go to the D and ask ? to name the greatest artist from there, eminem will be said 99%. if you go to new york and tell ? to name the greats, jayz will be said 99% of the time. if you go out to the west and ask about too short, you know the legendary story your gonna get. how you gonna start internet thuggin cause i started stating facts. and you didnt even answer the thread. you just wasted hella time son
    You another dumb ? who can't read. I never said Jay or Short didn't have classics in fact if you read my post I also mentioned one of Jay's classics. The only one bent out of shape is you for catchin feelings cause ? think them dudes is overrated, and if you bothered reading I already answered the thread days ago I said Eminem is overrated and your post is the reason why.
  • chriskyte410717
    edited January 2010
    Options

It is a classic
    You another dumb ? who can't read. I never said Jay or Short didn't have classics in fact if you read my post I also mentioned one of Jay's classics. The only one bent out of shape is you for catchin feelings cause ? think them dudes is overrated, and if you bothered reading I already answered the thread days ago I said Eminem is overrated and your post is the reason why.

how the hell is em overrated. he dropped a classic album in 2000, brought 50 cent to the masses, made a name for midwest rap when that ? was on life support, he was a main component in one of the greatest tours ever with The Up In smoke Tour, he helped make dr. dre relevant again, he had a strong follow up with the eminem show which is a 4 out of 5 album, made one of the greatest hip hop movies ever with 8 mile, he made lose yourself and won multiple awards off that song alone, gained his own record company and nationally acclaimed rap radio station with shade45, was named the best rapper alive by a couple magazines, i think em is the only rapper ever to win back to back "best rap album" grammys and mind you they were his first two cds. he took a little break and came back pretty strong, and after all this you are gonna tell me he is overrated lol. i think you just dont wanna accept this mans accomplishments. and its funny because you saying im "stanning" which is a term that eminem created lol. i think its pretty crazy when a ? gets the props he deserves, somebody else comes out the wood work and starts hating. the IC is the only place i ever see some of the hoobastank that people are saying. Em is a legend and far from overrated son.
  • nels-buck
    nels-buck Members Posts: 6
    edited January 2010
    Options
    why ? keep sayin 50...how is he overrated? u cant consider the numbers he has done and still call him overrated...? lil wayne is overrated
  • Triple B's
    Triple B's Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    nels-buck wrote: »
    why ? keep sayin 50...how is he overrated? u cant consider the numbers he has done and still call him overrated...? lil wayne is overrated

50 is overrated becuz he swagger jacked ja rule, then got super gamous off dude's style. 50 wasn't singing b4 he wrecked ja. As for his numbers..... i mean come on he had Dr. Dre and Eminem cosigning him. numbers wasnt going to be a problem for GRODT
  • affirmallchance
    affirmallchance Members Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Young Jeezy takes this
  • affirmallchance
    affirmallchance Members Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    damn, what happened to my post count. once again, reason fails..
  • Stack Money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    how the hell is em overrated. he dropped a classic album in 2000, brought 50 cent to the masses, made a name for midwest rap when that ? was on life support, he was a main component in one of the greatest tours ever with The Up In smoke Tour, he helped make dr. dre relevant again, he had a strong follow up with the eminem show which is a 4 out of 5 album, made one of the greatest hip hop movies ever with 8 mile, he made lose yourself and won multiple awards off that song alone, gained his own record company and nationally acclaimed rap radio station with shade45, was named the best rapper alive by a couple magazines, i think em is the only rapper ever to win back to back "best rap album" grammys and mind you they were his first two cds. he took a little break and came back pretty strong, and after all this you are gonna tell me he is overrated lol. i think you just dont wanna accept this mans accomplishments. and its funny because you saying im "stanning" which is a term that eminem created lol. i think its pretty crazy when a ? gets the props he deserves, somebody else comes out the wood work and starts hating. the IC is the only place i ever see some of the hoobastank that people are saying. Em is a legend and far from overrated son.
    SMH @ this post, this ? is exactly why he's overrated and just proves how much of an Eminem dickrider you really are. LOL @ popularity = good music, that ? only has one good album which was the eminem show. You must not be payin attention if you don's see all the muthafuckas on other message boards or in real life sayin he's overrated, must be the denial of a stan...
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2010
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    hold up hov's overated ? SMH . name me 10 rappers who have more than hov has & accomplished more than he has in the past 10 years....... ya thats wat i thought. ? had a 5 mic album, built the biggest music dynasty in hiphop history, married arguably the best & most successful singer of the last 10 years, battled w/ the best of em n came back, revolutionized the game on every level, sold nearly 40million records & btw multiplied his networth from 6 million in 2000 to 500mil in 10 YEARS ? & he still relevant. i dont understand how thats overated ? is the best of the best.? i dont even like camel but yo i respect the hustle & i respect his contribution to the world as well. THeres is nooo wayy in hell jigga is overrated, ? nobody in rap music PERIOD has accomplished as much as he has in 10 years. NO ONE.

So true.....Jay-Z has had 11 number one albums.....that's unheard of for a solo artist. Even Michael Jackson couldn't do this.....Michael Jackson!!!!!!!!!!! Jay-Z is arguably the most consistent artist of all time.....for now.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2010
    Options
    SMH @ this post, this ? is exactly why he's overrated and just proves how much of an Eminem dickrider you really are. LOL @ popularity = good music, that ? only has one good album which was the eminem show. You must not be payin attention if you don's see all the muthafuckas on other message boards or in real life sayin he's overrated, must be the denial of a stan...

Be serious though....Eminem has dropped many crazy verses in his lifetime. His verse on Forever is a classic one, if not that, than maybe one of the best verses to come out of 2009. His first two albums are classics, even the Source and XXL called these good albums. And his third one was pretty good, as you admitted. He's fallen off somewhat after that but his last album was good. Even his so-so albums have verses very few can imitate. Hate if you wish but how many artists can match his lyricism right now? Let that melt in your head for a second.
  • Stack Money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    no way bro Em aint overated. Em made his bones & did a lot for hiphop than most ? did. lyrically , fame-wise , impact, cash-wise, battle-wise (he slaughtered cannibus n murdered jay on his own ? even), success-wise, socially, creatively n everything Em delivered on all fronts. & ya i think dude is a legend. ud have to be hating to sit down n deny the impact hes had on music as a whole. hey we dont have to like whitey but yo ill give him his props or respect where due.
    You'd have to be stannin to think he's a legend cause he's popular, ? N Sync are popular too I guess that makes them legends. I never said he wasn't successful but success dosen't mean you're not overrated. And smh @ you sayin he slaughtered canibus.
    Be serious though....Eminem has dropped many crazy verses in his lifetime. His verse on Forever is a classic one, if not that, than maybe one of the best verses to come out of 2009. His first two albums are classics, even the Source and XXL called these good albums. And his third one was pretty good, as you admitted. He's fallen off somewhat after that but his last album was good. Even his so-so albums have verses very few can imitate. Hate if you wish but how many artists can match his lyricism right now? Let that melt in your head for a second.
    Well if the Source and XXL said it the ? must be true! SMH and that Forever verse is overrated too.
  • chriskyte410717
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You'd have to be stannin to think he's a legend cause he's popular, ? N Sync are popular too I guess that makes them legends. I never said he wasn't successful but success dosen't mean you're not overrated. And smh @ you sayin he slaughtered canibus.

Well if the Source and XXL said it the ? must be true! SMH and that Forever verse is overrated too.

damn ? you just dont get it lol. ems first two albums are considered accepted classics. You can google the ratings. Rolling stone, fye, source, xxl, even your grandma knows that ems first two are classics. this ? has classic verses and you can go ask hov about that. he killed that dead wrong ? with biggie.this ? has songs that are up the greatest in hip hop history. i mean damn, for you not to give this ? his just due is crazy. you havent even given one reason why he is overrated. you just typing out your ass. and to even question his legendary status as a legen is even more crazy. this ? has a movie about his life lol. google the 96 rap olympics and see who won. ask ryhmefest (who is very underrated) how nice em is. this ? put the D on the map. to even argue againsat these FACTS are ludicrous. you need to go headbutt a shotgun for even arguin these claims