Is hip hop to blame for the regression of the black community?

Options
Nut Did N' Cider
Nut Did N' Cider Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Reason
Clearly it is. Yes it has created some jobs but the overall affect of the music and culture has been negative. Hard for me to admit because I love this ? and I been listening since '85 but gotta call a ? a ? .

Comments

• dholt23
    dholt23 Members Posts: 839
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ? no ? in the 80's ? up black communites, before that it was Heroin
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No.

I'll be back with a more thorough answer when I'm sober...
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited May 2010
    Options
    it might have.
    but there is some positive Hip Hop.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I blame capitalism.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A lot of hip hop music is a by-product of said regression.
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ronald regan
    th government
    illumanitii
    white man

take ur pick
  • BEONDON
    BEONDON Members Posts: 112
    edited May 2010
    Options
    NO......weak-minded and undereducated people are to blame for the regression the black community, and any community with that being said

There is both positivity and negativity in hip hop, but to blame hip hop alone for the regression of the black community is naive and narrow-minded
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    no. bad parenting or lack there of has regressed not just the black community but the entire society of America. Also, technology is a HUGE part of the problem if not THE major problem. We are living in the age of twitter, facebook, youtube and ? useless fake non-music playing channels like MTV, BET, and VH1. Because of our soft and immature parents (who are hardly older then their children), we are left with these technological devices to raise children and to instill moral values.

on the other hand, technology has improved the quality of life but has also comprimised young minds because soft ass parents wont limit them. thats the problem not hip hop.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A rapper used to be some kind of reporter

So, no..
  • FrozenMind
    FrozenMind Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    no. bad parenting or lack there of has regressed not just the black community but the entire society of America. Also, technology is a HUGE part of the problem if not THE major problem. We are living in the age of twitter, facebook, youtube and ? useless fake non-music playing channels like MTV, BET, and VH1. Because of our soft and immature parents (who are hardly older then their children), we are left with these technological devices to raise children and to instill moral values.

on the other hand, technology has improved the quality of life but has also comprimised young minds because soft ass parents wont limit them. thats the problem not hip hop.

amen. Saying anything else is looking for an excuse.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Are horror movies to blame for serial killers and psychopaths?

Maybe not, but it would be stupid to deny the fact that there are people out there who wanna live their lives through what they see portrayed on the television.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Are horror movies to blame for serial killers and psychopaths?

Maybe not, but it would be stupid to deny the fact that there are people out there who wanna live their lives through what they see portrayed on the television.

Those people are stupid (dangerous) in the first place
  • oh_word
    oh_word Members Posts: 56
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The only time hip hop can influence a child negatively is when they are not being raised by their parents. Kids are impressionable and they cant separate what they see in a rap video/movie/violent video game,etc. from reality. Parents need to start taking responsibility for what their kids are watching and listening to. We can blame the rappers but the content in the music that appeals to white audiences isn't much different they just aren't as "coonish" with the delivery.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    oh_word wrote: »
    The only time hip hop can influence a child negatively is when they are not being raised by their parents. Kids are impressionable and they cant separate what they see in a rap video/movie/violent video game,etc. from reality. Parents need to start taking responsibility for what their kids are watching and listening to. We can blame the rappers but the content in the music that appeals to white audiences isn't much different they just aren't as "coonish" with the delivery.

you pretty much said what I said.... just.... not as well.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No, but it helped. Other factors like social and welfare system and of course bad parenting were far more important in that case.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    abso-toodle-lootly..
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If anybody seriously tries 2 blame hip-hop they r one who looks 2 excuses to solve problems
    hip-hop may have a small influence but thats it
    ima tell everybody here like i tell my ?
    these rappers didnt create tha ? that they do, like it or not, they learned wut they do from previous generations, u cant blame nobody unless u wanna blame parent
    but there is also grown ass men tryin 2 put they mistakes on hip-hop, naw ? u jus stupid n cant do 4 yourself
  • Founder
    Founder Members Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The White man Freemason put "The Grand Master" in the Flash!.
  • gum989
    gum989 Members Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Just one question: Do the kids you know wanna be like Common and Kweli, or like Gucci and Plies???

Please no ? answers, 'cause we ALL know the truth.

When that question is answered, the you can begin to answer the original question. I don't feel like I have the right to give an answer 'cause I'm not black (or white).
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Nope not hip hop...............feeble minded ass ? 's is the blame for the regression.

Those ? 's that try to imitate ? in rap video's and movie's and on t.v. not knowing that half the ? is ? these muthafuckas is doing and saying on tv.

Follow the leader ass ? 's, find your own niche ? 's!
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Not totally. But that ? out nowadays sure dont help.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i dont think the hood was paradise before the sugar hill gang dropped
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    I blame capitalism.

Truth on all levels!!
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i dont think the hood was paradise before the sugar hill gang dropped

No it wasnt, but as one who lived through it all, when ? appeared and gangster rap started that ? got totally out of control. And both of those things, as we found out later were sponsored by the same people. can't really look down on you young cats for what you listen to now, because we got tricked by that ? back in the day and raised yall up to like the same self-destructive ? .But society as a whole is much worse now, so as the country gets worse of course the black community will be 10 times as bad becausethe descendants of slaves are forever at the bottom of the totem pole in the lands of their captivity.
  • Welcome To Paradise
    Welcome To Paradise Members Posts: 11
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Rap is a reflection of society, not the other way round.