Is hip hop to blame for the regression of the black community?

Options
2»

Comments

• Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    life does not imitate art.

anyone who argues that life imitates art is ignorant in my opinion.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    life does not imitate art.

anyone who argues that life imitates art is ignorant in my opinion.

Its been scientifically proven that moving images and sounds repeatedly cycled will bring about changes in brain chemistry and human behavior. ? -hop is not art anyway.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    I blame capitalism.
  • dubzz
    dubzz Members Posts: 187
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Black music has always been blamed for regression.

The premise of this thread is that the black community has regressed. In some aspects some of us have, but in others we've progressed. Hip hop reflects both the positive and the negative in us.

Gangsters and wannabe thugs are going to bang music that reflects who they think they are. Sure, there might be a few fools dealing for purely musical reasons, but the socio-economic push is there whether there's gangster rap or not.

You have other cats who are going to university, working hard, and being successful - why don't people blame hip hop for their success?
  • NonCreativeNickname
    NonCreativeNickname Members Posts: 192
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's not solely to blame but it's a contributing factor.
  • Treize117
    Treize117 Members Posts: 1,112
    edited May 2010
    Options
    funny that someone could think that society is a product of the music instead of the other way around...
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Treize117 wrote: »
    funny that someone could think that society is a product of the music instead of the other way around...

Its a symbiotic relationship. Societies cant exist without culture. Music is a cultural expression.
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I agree with capitalism also but i will throw in there our hate for success. The ? in a barrel mentality its whats keeping us down. We are the only race of people the penalize when our people are success. Either they are a sell-out, they don't keep it real, or they forgot where they came from. We complain to ? much and love to give excuses on why we aren't achieving.
  • Soulljjah
    Soulljjah Banned Users Posts: 27
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Are horror movies to blame for serial killers and psychopaths?

Maybe not, but it would be stupid to deny the fact that there are people out there who wanna live their lives through what they see portrayed on the television.

Of course. The media definitely influences the kids and even the parents. They ARE younger these days, afterall.
  • pinkydapimp
    pinkydapimp Members Posts: 88
    edited May 2010
    Options
    it is definitely a contributing factor because hip hop culture now glorifies the worst traits in our people.

Hip Hop used to be about havin fun and getting a message across. now, most mainstream stuff just glorifies criminal activity and degrading women. I don't necessarily blame the rappers for this. I blame the major labels for forcing these artists to do this and making sure it is the only stuff you hear on the airwaves.

Having said that, hip hop is still only a small contributing factor for our regression. I blame institutional racism for ensuring that poor people(mostly minorities) stay poor and have very little opportunity to succeed. I blame the media for a lack of showing quality role models for these kids to look up to. if the only person you know who looks like you and has money is sellin drugs, you are probably going to idolize that dude(i think Obama will help in this department)! I also blame us as a community for not instilling better values in our youth. I also blame BET and the movie soul plane! LOL
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No the crime rates were actually higher in the 70's and 80's before gangster rap. and the crimes commited in the 90's were done by people who were raised in the 70's and 80's.
    crime hase been decreasing in the black community since 1994 the height of gangsta rap. so nope.
  • dubzz
    dubzz Members Posts: 187
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No the crime rates were actually higher in the 70's and 80's before gangster rap. and the crimes commited in the 90's were done by people who were raised in the 70's and 80's.
    crime hase been decreasing in the black community since 1994 the height of gangsta rap. so nope.

And there it is for everyone.
  • pinkydapimp
    pinkydapimp Members Posts: 88
    edited May 2010
    Options

good point. but the reason it spiked in the 70s and 80s was due to ? so that decline is expected. id also be curious to know how the national crime rate, and the crime rate in black communities compares during that time period. im also curious how those numbers compare to other impoverished communities of a different demographic.
  • JacKnGrunt
    JacKnGrunt Members Posts: 47
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I can't just outright say hip-hop is to blame but it is part of the problem. Parenting is #1 but music isn't far behind. Your parents can tell you all the right things but peer pressure is a ? .
    Have you guys just talked to a youngsta these days? They on some I need $$$, top-notch fits,p******y, and weeeed chit when it should be I need to graduate. Even the older people on some dumb chit.Lets find a piece of p****y, drink some alcohol, and stand/chill here/there,then when they leave they going home to mama. I ain't excluding myself either,I made my share of mistakes and wasted time but now I'm woke. GOT MY PRIORITIES STR8.
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I blame capitalism.

C/S
    Once black folks get successful, they move to the white areas of town and forget the black communities from which they came
  • thetruth391
    thetruth391 Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    no its not

1 star thread, move to the SL
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I blame capitalism.

This is it^^^^^^^^
  • DigitalPlugg
    DigitalPlugg Members Posts: 12
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Why do people wanna blame music for everythang, ? is ridiculous, people act like gangbangin, dope dealin, pants saggin, and all the rest of the so called negatives came after the music, all that ? was real life issues way before rap, and alot of music reflects life, so don't blame music, blame our enviroment and the world we live in, real talk!