The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anybody here up on vmware? especially NSX??

I'm supporting it for two of my clients. What's up?
  • konceptjones
    Options
    One thing I've learned to do during technical interviews is to start firing hard-ass scenario questions back at the staff asking me ? . When they ask why I'm doing it I tell them:

"This interview is as much about you assessing my skill level as it is for me to assess yours. I need to know if you guys have at least the same level of experience as I do. In the event something critical happens, I have to know that my coworkers are able to handle a situation as well as I can."

At that point I start firing off some of the most obscure ass, difficult as ? questions towards them as a group. Even if I missed some of their questions, it's almost a guarantee that they will fail every single one of mine and I frame them all as if these are scenarios they should be familiar with so that any manager listening in on the interviews will start to look at his crew skeptically.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing I've learned to do during technical interviews is to start firing hard-ass scenario questions back at the staff asking me ? . When they ask why I'm doing it I tell them:

"This interview is as much about you assessing my skill level as it is for me to assess yours. I need to know if you guys have at least the same level of experience as I do. In the event something critical happens, I have to know that my coworkers are able to handle a situation as well as I can."

At that point I start firing off some of the most obscure ass, difficult as ? questions towards them as a group. Even if I missed some of their questions, it's almost a guarantee that they will fail every single one of mine and I frame them all as if these are scenarios they should be familiar with so that any manager listening in on the interviews will start to look at his crew skeptically.

I probably should have done this yesterday, I had an interview for Jr network engineer position. I held my own for majority of the networking questions. It was some that I knew but was drawing a blank on during the interview smh. Soon as I walked out they hit me smh
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

I probably should have done this yesterday, I had an interview for Jr network engineer position. I held my own for majority of the networking questions. It was some that I knew but was drawing a blank on during the interview smh. Soon as I walked out they hit me smh

maaaaaaan look... I had a tech interview where I soared through some hard as ? security scenarios. I'm tellin 'em all kind of ? about hardening their network, firewall configuration, deploying IPS across the network, wireless security, DLP, etc but then their networking guy hit me with:

"What's the difference between a router and a switch"

My ass was stammering and stuttering.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Lmao that n8gga asked me what's the difference between rip and ospf and I was stuck for like 10 seconds. I answered him.but I didn't explain it all that well lol

AND I got a basic as subnetting question wrong that I didn't realize until I left smh
  • konceptjones
    Options
    subnetting always ? me up. I used to have a subnetting calculator on my phone 'cause I can't ? with it for ? .
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anybody here up on vmware? especially NSX??

I'm supporting it for two of my clients. What's up?

i need some training/book recommendations. job wants me to learn it and i havent seen ? out there for it
  • King Erauno
    Options
    aye take it from me...even senior network people dont give a ? about subnetting.

another thing about interviews is that if you dont know the answer to a question, just say so. dont take 5 minutes trying to work your way through it. they'll see that as you bullshitting them. at least you have the ? to say " i dont know", and folks like that..
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    The thing is , I KNOW subnetting lol, I guess I just felt the pressure with 4 5 peoe looking at me and trying to do it in my head
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Had the interview for the Jr network engineer position last Tuesday, still aint heard back from them smh
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo bcotton was it for a company called secure-24?
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Yo bcotton was it for a company called secure-24?

Yea lmao did you interview for it too?
  • King_sorrow
    Options
    Nah lady kept calling me for an interview I never responded though. What was the pay looking like? Over 40?
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Nah lady kept calling me for an interview I never responded though. What was the pay looking like? Over 40?

they never told me,only asked what I would be willing to accept paywise
  • King Erauno
    Options
    at the end of the interview when they ask if you have any more questions, ask something like, "is there anything on my resume that bothers you?" (or something to that effect), the answer they give will tell you if you got the job or not. so there will be no need to wonder.

also ? a cover letter if you have one. this is IT. they can look at your resume and see what youve accomplished.

if you REALLY want the job and still arent sure where you stand, send thank you letter. but the first thing i said here should tell you where you stand.
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2016
    Options
    at the end of the interview when they ask if you have any more questions, ask something like, "is there anything on my resume that bothers you?" (or something to that effect), the answer they give will tell you if you got the job or not. so there will be no need to wonder.

also ? a cover letter if you have one. this is IT. they can look at your resume and see what youve accomplished.

if you REALLY want the job and still arent sure where you stand, send thank you letter. but the first thing i said here should tell you where you stand.

Yea I sent the thank you email to them after the interview .

I never made a cover letter BTW

My temp/contract IT gig ended last week so I'm officially unemployed if I don't get this lmao
  • King_sorrow
    Options
    Actually just received another call from her today. I'm thinking about calling her back but my current position is pretty nice. I make 36k with a 2 min commute to work 2weeks vacation 6 percent 401k match and fully paid medical, I'm still help desk though but just passed my ccnp route and have been working here for two years also about to get my associates in 6 months.

My dilemma is leave this job possibly make more money get a better title but go back to a 30-45 min commute excluding winter for a possible 10-15k raise and whatever benefits any other company offers.

What would y'all do in my situation?
  • King Erauno
    Options
    Actually just received another call from her today. I'm thinking about calling her back but my current position is pretty nice. I make 36k with a 2 min commute to work 2weeks vacation 6 percent 401k match and fully paid medical, I'm still help desk though but just passed my ccnp route and have been working here for two years also about to get my associates in 6 months.

My dilemma is leave this job possibly make more money get a better title but go back to a 30-45 min commute excluding winter for a possible 10-15k raise and whatever benefits any other company offers.

take the better job. its about upward mobility. the commute wont last forever. the faster you move up and use those skills the faster the experience will rack up and then youll make even more money

ive been doing ? like that for years.. doubled my salary in 3 years. you grow the most when you step out of your comfort zone...
  • valdez21
    valdez21 Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options

What are your end goals? What's important to you? If it's money, you'll never make six figures in help desk. Commute is something you have to consider as well but in IT, most jobs allow you to work from home sometimes, especially in networking.

This right here. ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS. Ask about the type of environment, how long has each one of them been there, what do they like the most about working there, what would they change, etc.. An interview is a two way street.
    Asking what reservations do they have for not hiring you is key. You want to make sure you they have no reason to tell you no or wonder after you walk out that room.
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2016
    Options

? you good let me get this job! lol jk do what's best for you

Let me get that ccnp study material you got btw

Also what area you in? Secure 24 is in Southfield it's a good hour drive from me. Seems most IT jobs here are in Troy or Southfield
  • King_sorrow
    Options

Also what area you in? Secure 24 is in Southfield it's a good hour drive from me. Seems most IT jobs here are in Troy or Southfield

Downriver area near Taylor, Secure 24 is about the same distance away from me as well. Just applied for this noc position at GM hopefully they call me back. If your from Michigan you know you get in with the big 3 and you're set lol
  • Bcotton5
    Options

Downriver area near Taylor, Secure 24 is about the same distance away from me as well. Just applied for this noc position at GM hopefully they call me back. If your from Michigan you know you get in with the big 3 and you're set lol

Lmao word I would accept any IT job with the big 3 here

Didn't even know GM were looking for networking people
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Juniper fast track, free training for the JNCIA. Juniper version of the CCNA basically

It's free doesn't take too long and you get a voucher for 50% off the cert exam at the end.

Just started it I'm not working for the next 2 weeks so I plan to go real hard at it and take it soon

@Thereal_ba

https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_fasttrack_home.aspx

Juniper as a 2nd language, free easy course that basically walks you thru juniper commands if you're coming from the Cisco IOS. Only takes 90 minutes

https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_activity_info.aspx?id=3310

For those of you who are familiar with Cisco's IOS, learning Juniper Networks Junos operating system is now made easy with Junos as a Second Language. Using an advanced graphical display, this course compares the similarities and the differences between both operating systems and shows the benefits of using Junos OS. This 90-minute program is designed for network engineers who are already well-versed in Cisco's IOS software but who might not be as familiar with Juniper Networks Junos OS.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    juniper exams used to be free and online. are they still that way?

not sure how much $ juniper skills will net you, IMO