• onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Going Home" by Drake is the ? .

J Cole is the new 2 Pac.
  • onthafly
    Options
    Oh and Soulja Boy "Turn my swag on" was actually pretty decent. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yRme0C2pmI
  • onthafly
    Options
    Also this thread is basically a "Come in here and get wacked and nosigned a bunch of times and maybe a few WTFs" thread.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    W.A.R. = Internal Affairs>>> PTSD>>> Desire

Crooked>>> Buddens>>> Joelle = Royce (as a group)

Buddens>>>>> Royce>>Joelle = Crooked (solo)... >>>>>>>> Em

Can't stand Wale on or off the mic...

DJ Mustard sucks...

I would smash Jill Scott and Marsha Ambrosia in a big ol' vat of green jello at the same time, no ? given...

Ab-Soul>> Jay Rock>> Kendrick>> Q

With that said, ? Don't ? My Vibe is madd overrated and so is Backseat Freestyle...

The Cold Vein >>> GKMC

Control System >>> GKMC

Masta Killah and Killah Priest are top tier Wu...

Game>> Buck>> Banks>> 50>> Yayo (Kidd who?)
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe and Kendrick make garbage music
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall, '90s hip hop was the best. Especially '90s New York / East Coast hip hop. Then again, I don't know much about hip hop from this decade.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Rap was better in the 80s

In terms of what?

It was underground. The major corporations weren't involved so the music was more pure. People weren't trying to make a hit single, they were just trying to make dope music.

Also, it was an inside thing, people used slang when they talked and you could identify certain slang from rap songs. Nowadays everybody is hip to the slang so you see people like Jimmy Fallon or whoever using Hip Hop slang on national TV.

Back in the 80s we wanted rap to be on the radio. But you know that expression 'be careful what you wish for because it might come true'? Well that's what happened. Now rap is commercialized, its been commercialized since the 90s. There's still some good stuff out there but you have to really dig for it.

Back when I was a teenager you could tune into a college radio station. They usually had a show once a week that played rap. In Boston there's hella colleges so there were a handful of college radio shows that played rap (WZBC, WERS, WRBB, WHRB). They usually came on the weekends. I'd have my cassette tape ready and I'd have my finger on the pause button. Then when a song came on I'd let my finger off the pause button and catch the very beginning of the song. Then I'd listen for the first 30 seconds or so and if I liked it I'd tape the whole song. If I didn't like it I'd press stop and rewind the tape and cue it up for the next song. Needless to say this was before the internet.

So after listening to a 2 hour rap show, I'd have about half of a tape filled up. It would take about two weeks of taping college radio shows to fill up a 90 minute tape. Then I'd rock to that tape for about a month while filling up the next tape. Pretty soon I'd have 4 or 5 tapes filled up with stuff I taped off the radio.

Obviously now with the internet its easier to just log on to allhiphop.com and check for links or got to datpiff, youtube, or whatever torrents to d/l entire mixtapes or albums but there was something about those days sitting in front of my radio with my finger on the pause button ready to tape the next song that came on. I wouldn't trade those memories for a new computer with a terabyte of memory.

Also I can remember seeing Run DMC at the Providence Civic Center. It was packed. 20,000 people. This was the summer of 1988. We arrived late so we missed Public Enemy and EPMD but we got to see Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince and Run DMC. That was the first arena concert I ever attended. I was 14 and went with my brother and his friends. I remember people pulling up in limousines bumping It Takes Two, You Gots To Chill and all the hot songs that summer.

The summer of 88 was crazy, that was when EVERYBODY had an album. EPMD, Big Daddy Kane, Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, Stetsasonic, Salt N Pepa, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, The Jungle Brothers, Boogie Down Productions, Marley Marl. And all of the albums had at least a few good songs and some of them were 5 mics (Public Enemy's album was definitely a 5 mic classic).

Another thing, if there was a song you really liked or an album you wanted to cop, you couldn't just go to the store and buy it. If the rapper/rap group was on a major label you could just go to the store, but if they were an independent label most stores didn't even carry it. They didn't even know what you were talking about. You had to make a pilgrimage to the hood to buy indie stuff like The Jungle Brothers, Stetsasonic, EPMD. I lived in the suburbs so that meant an hour of catching trains and busses to get to Dudley Square in Roxbury. They had two stores that carried stuff that stores in the suburbs didn't have. One store was called Nubian Notion, the other was Spin City Records.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think RZA that great
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LAD>>>RTD....
    Inspectah Deck>>>most groups go to rapper....
    Taken it back to when I was a young'n, ? That Noise>>>The Bridge Is Over....Yea I said it!

• onthafly
    Options
    Kendricks backseat freestyle is basically another clone of a milli which a lot of ? seem to be bitin off of these days.
  • onthafly
    Options
    Also a lot of ? started biting Waynes flow. Not that Wayne doesn't drop some wack ? these days but I hear his flow in some of these ? songs.
  • yahwehprofet
    yahwehprofet Members Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol funny thread i beat ant of yours

hiphop music industry is run by and funded by satanic/ occult believing ppl
  • onthafly
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    Overall, '90s hip hop was the best. Especially '90s New York / East Coast hip hop. Then again, I don't know much about hip hop from this decade.

I'm gon nosign you for comin into a thread about unpopular hip hop opinions and then stating a clearly popular opinion just so you can get a bunch of cosigns and ? as if you revealing some kind of brutal and honest truth.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Testuo and Youth is good but quite overrated on the IC.

Nas beat selection record isn't bad.

TDE is all ehh except Kendrick, but ill take a Jay Rock album over another album from Soul or Q. GKMC is 10x better than his previous tapes/albums. That section 80 ? is ok, not near GKMC level.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »

I'm gon nosign you for comin into a thread about unpopular hip hop opinions and then stating a clearly popular opinion just so you can get a bunch of cosigns and ? as if you revealing some kind of brutal and honest truth.
    On here that'll get disputed far more than you think. Southern posters and young ? .
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »

Cosign that. I say that all the time
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    most of these posts are just IC unpopular opinions
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »

Cosign that. I say that all the time

Beat selection is subjective. That's why that never really bothered me when people would say Nas picks bad beats. They just go overboard acting as if Nas beats are Casio keyboard quality.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    DRO_BANKS wrote: »
    ANDRE 3000 IS THE GOAT
    K DOT IS TRASH
    LYRICALLY, EM WOULD DESTROY J
    FIELDMOB IS BETTER THAN UGK AND BALL N G

You really believe that ? ?
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gucci and Young Thug have good chemistry on songs
  • onthafly
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    housemouse wrote: »

On here that'll get disputed far more than you think. Southern posters and young ? .

Damn I used to be the young ? . You makin me feel old now.
  • onthafly
    Options
    Most of tech n9ne's catalog is trash.
  • onthafly
    Options
    2 Pac be droppin nursery rhymes.
  • onthafly
    Options
    Oh yeah. ? just got real.