jay is the goat

pac was wack

cam is underrated

rick ross can rap and beat 50

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    j dilla, jay electronica, joe budden, lloyd banks, wu-tang, lupe's first 2 albums and most 80's artists are GROSSLY overrated, doesnt mean i dont respect em tho.

after 50 first 2 albums, g-unit aint ? w/o young buck

fab has more than one good album

takeover>ether, just sounds better to me.

in 08-09 soulja boy was spittin(or tryin to at least)

nakia shine has good tracks

memphis and the sip have contributed more to hip hop than u think

hip hop elitists are whats wrong with hip hop
    Good Music ≠ Lyricism

How are the bolded overrated? But I do agree with you about the underlined.

people act like they are the greatest thing, i take a listen and its not wack but its ehh, i have several songs i like by each one u bolded accept jay e. but i never saw the hype with em, for example people act like food and liquor one of the greatest albums in hip hop history, i take a listen and barely make it thru. people act like banks a phenomenal lyricist. i listen, i hear solid ? , but not greatness.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    j dilla, jay electronica, joe budden, lloyd banks, wu-tang, lupe's first 2 albums and most 80's artists are GROSSLY overrated, doesnt mean i dont respect em tho.

Good Music ≠ Lyricism

people act like they are the greatest thing, i take a listen and its not wack but its ehh, i have several songs i like by each one u bolded accept jay e. but i never saw the hype with em, for example people act like food and liquor one of the greatest albums in hip hop history, i take a listen and barely make it thru. people act like banks a phenomenal lyricist. i listen, i hear solid ? , but not greatness.

What's the turn off though? Is it the production or the subject matter? Or the accents?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Banks is a phenomenal lyricist. He's a lyricist but his niche is mainly punchlines.
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas ruined distant relatives

a24e1af3f7d6afb31e3d6141482abfdc.268x320x1.jpg
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    Overall, '90s hip hop was the best. Especially '90s New York / East Coast hip hop. Then again, I don't know much about hip hop from this decade.

I'm gon nosign you for comin into a thread about unpopular hip hop opinions and then stating a clearly popular opinion just so you can get a bunch of cosigns and ? as if you revealing some kind of brutal and honest truth.
    On here that'll get disputed far more than you think. Southern posters and young ? .

wrong, i believe majority of people on here have great respect for 90's rap music, wouldnt put an especially on east coast. it was greatness all over..

at least for me anyways. just cuz we not stuck in the 90's ass ? dont mean we dont love what the 90's put out
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

Good Music ≠ Lyricism

What's the turn off though? Is it the production or the subject matter? Or the accents?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Banks is a phenomenal lyricist. He's a lyricist but his niche is mainly punchlines.

it depends, for example with lupe its the production and to me it feels like he's preaching. dont take that as me not comprehending his message, thats the easy part, i just dont wanna be bored with it. ill rather replay ? bad or lambo angels over most of food and liquor, with someone like banks people act like he has mind blowing punches and multis, ive heard guys like fab, cass, even buddens spit better, speaking of buddens, i just cant get into his songs like that. people say mood musik is such greatness, ion hear it. believe it or not the accents and where they are from really have nothing to do with it for me.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Biggie was perfect for the time he dropped. He wouldn't be held as high musically if he dropped his debut today.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Overall, '90s hip hop was the best. Especially '90s New York / East Coast hip hop. Then again, I don't know much about hip hop from this decade.

I'm gon nosign you for comin into a thread about unpopular hip hop opinions and then stating a clearly popular opinion just so you can get a bunch of cosigns and ? as if you revealing some kind of brutal and honest truth.
    On here that'll get disputed far more than you think. Southern posters and young ? .

wrong, i believe majority of people on here have great respect for 90's rap music, wouldnt put an especially on east coast. it was greatness all over..

at least for me anyways. just cuz we not stuck in the 90's ass ? dont mean we dont love what the 90's put out

I've seen the opinions on here.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Good Music ≠ Lyricism

it depends, for example with lupe its the production and to me it feels like he's preaching. dont take that as me not comprehending his message, thats the easy part, i just dont wanna be bored with it. ill rather replay ? bad or lambo angels over most of food and liquor, with someone like banks people act like he has mind blowing punches and multis, ive heard guys like fab, cass, even buddens spit better, speaking of buddens, i just cant get into his songs like that. people say mood musik is such greatness, ion hear it. believe it or not the accents and where they are from really have nothing to do with it for me.

Perfect example of the subjectivity I speak on at times. I think Lupe's production is fine and I don't think he's preachy. If you think Lupe is preachy then you really could either take him or leave him. I don't think anyone thinks Banks is that great of a lyricist he's great with his wordplay and he has dope punchlines.
  • g00dlikeg0d
    g00dlikeg0d Members Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It was written>illmatic
    Jeezy is a fraud
    Kanye is really a genius
    Ja rule music was pretty good
    Wutang collectively overrated
    Master P is a legend
    Jay Z is a product of more luck then talent
  • DJ Pauls Arm
    DJ Pauls Arm Members Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nobody in the south was checkin for Jay Z until he did Big Pimpin with UGK
  • vicvallin
    vicvallin Members Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Options
    guru was wack and only sounded nice because he was rapping over premo beats.
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeeeeeaah lemme leave this thread...
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options

Calm the ? down. I wasn't expecting anything nor did I care what reactions I'd get. I was stating a subjective preference. You think I thought I was revealing some "brutal and honest truth"? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

at least for me anyways. just cuz we not stuck in the 90's ass ?

Shots fired at Ubuntu? I like what I like.

But like I said, I haven't listened to a lot of hip hop from this decade so I'm open to recommendations, from both of you.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vicvallin wrote: »

Wait a sec. Guru might not be in your top 10. He's not in mine but I can't call him "wack". Overrated? Possibly but he definitely wasn't wack.

1. Words I Manifest
    2. Just to Get A Rep
    3. DWYCK
    4. Jazz Thing
    5. Down the Backstreets
    6. Code of The Streets
    7. Mass Appeal
    8. The ? Remains
    9. You Know My Steez
    10. Skillz

I'm not gonna waste your time but pick any 3 of those songs and listen to them. Guru's not "wack" he might be a lil boring at times but he's never made a wack album.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    W.A.R. = Internal Affairs>>> PTSD>>> Desire

Crooked>>> Budden>>> Joell = Royce (as a group)

Budden=Royce>Joell >>> Crooked (solo)... >>>>>>>> Em

Can't stand Wale on or off the mic...

DJ Mustard sucks...

I would smash Jill Scott and Marsha Ambrosia in a big ol' vat of green jello at the same time, no ? given... No.

Jay Rock>Kendrick>>> Q>Everyone else on TDE>>>>>> Ab-Soul

With that said, ? Don't ? My Vibe is madd overrated and so is Backseat Freestyle...

GKMC>>>The Cold Vein

GKMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Control System

Masta Killah and Killah Priest are top tier Wu...: I don't ? with the Wu so I can't comment

50 Cent>>Game>=Lloyd Banks>>Buck >> Everyone Else on G-Unit (yes, even Shawty Lo)>Tony Yayo>Hot Rod>>>>Kidd Kidd

Fixed
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

DJ Mustard sucks...

I would smash Jill Scott and Marsha Ambrosia in a big ol' vat of green jello at the same time, no ? given... No.

With that said, ? Don't ? My Vibe is madd overrated and so is Backseat Freestyle...

GKMC>>>The Cold Vein

Masta Killah and Killah Priest are top tier Wu...: I don't ? with the Wu so I can't comment

50 Cent>>Game>=Lloyd Banks>>Buck >> Everyone Else on G-Unit (yes, even Shawty Lo)>Tony Yayo>Hot Rod>>>>Kidd Kidd

Some people prefer red jello... I won't judge...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »

DJ Mustard sucks...

GKMC>>>The Cold Vein

Some people prefer red jello... I won't judge...

Lol. Jello is pork intestines.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Lol. Jello is pork intestines.

I would smash Jill Scott and Marsha Ambrosia in a big ol' vat of green pork intestines at the same time, no ? given... and then eat the pork intestines...
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vicvallin wrote: »

this. I argue with my friend about this all the time
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

Calm the ? down. I wasn't expecting anything nor did I care what reactions I'd get. I was stating a subjective preference. You think I thought I was revealing some "brutal and honest truth"? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

at least for me anyways. just cuz we not stuck in the 90's ass ?

Shots fired at Ubuntu? I like what I like.

But like I said, I haven't listened to a lot of hip hop from this decade so I'm open to recommendations, from both of you.

lol nah. general statement honestly.
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In terms of song structure, ScHool boy Q is the best in the game right now

Schoolboy Q's flow is top 3 in the game along side kendrick and Asap rocky

Raekwon=or > ghostface

bar for bar Bun B is overall the goat southern rapper

Big sean> drake lyrically

Jcole is overrated in all areas of rap and forest hill drive was trash

kanye is top 5 doa and has been more impactful to rap music than Biggie,Eminem and possibly Jay

Danny brown is criminally underrated. Better than most rappers today.
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread wild as ?
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Curren$y is one of the best in the game today.

Hi-? -larious !!!