Why do/don't you believe in ? ?

Options

Comments

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @maestro_lungs. I believe that good and evil exist, but our discretion of the two is a matter of sin...or falling short of the mark. The "How do you know" question is a simple yet complex question. In all commonality, we know what is good and what is evil or bad. But, why do we find ourselves choosing to do evil when we ought to do good? Why is it that when someone tries to do good that it not rewarded as such? Why do people who do evil think it's "good"? Something is flawed, but it's not our thinking...it's our hearts. It's believing that ? has done something about this that I believe that He Exist through Jesus.

I'm not as "deep" as people might be lead to believe. I haven't gotten familiar with the arguments and counter arguments of the existence of Jesus though I have read a book in defense of Jesus. But, the Bible is enough as is. It doesn't answer every question (and I don't believe it intends to), but it answers what matters the most.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is good and evil? Who decides which is which? They can be both, can't they?

• maestro_lungs
    maestro_lungs Members Posts: 255
    Options
    No We all Have a Perception of Good & Evil that is Shaped by where we Live. What's Evil & Good is Not Universal. We Shape That! You can’t treat yourself as a special snowflake. As vivid as your own experiences may feel to you, you can’t give them any more weight than you would anyone else’s experiences.

And if someone else’s personal experience of Allah or Ganesh or the invisible dragon in their garage wouldn’t persuade you that Allah or Ganesh or the invisible dragon is real… you shouldn’t let your own personal experience of ? persuade you that ? is real. I Ask you what would make NOT Believe?
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the beginning, people were to stupid to believe in anything
    Later on, they started to believe in many Gods:

Judaism: Yahweh
    Christianity: ?
    Islam: Allah

Polytheism:

Greek: Zeus, Hermes, Hades, Hera, Aphrodite, etc...
    Roman: Iuppiter, Mors, Terra, etc...
    Norse: Odin, Thor, Loki, Njordr, etc...
    Hindu: Krishna, Vishnu, Kali, Ishvara, etc...
    Chinese Folk (Simple): Shangdi, Mazu, Shou Xing, Tu Di Gong, etc...
    Shinto (Japanese): Izanagi-no-Mikoto, Izanami-no-Mikoto, etc...
    Celtic: Cernunnos, Damona, Epona, etc...
    Egyptian: Ra, Isis, Anubis, Osiris, etc...
    Summerian: An, Ki, Enlil, Enki, etc...
    Babylonian: Sin, Marduk, Ishtar, Nabu, etc...
    Persian: Simurgh, Rostam, Gaokerena, etc...
    Aboriginal: Bunyip, Kurreah, Mutjinga, etc...

Waaaaay further in time..

There were a few Gods left ((we can watch the rest of them on tv, and in comic books))

IMO, 200 or 300 years from now, there are maybe one or two Gods left
    500/600 years later, people don't believe in Gods at all, it was a thing from the past
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    What is good and evil? Who decides which is which? They can be both, can't they?
    Ultimately? nope. Impossible.

Right and wrong is a matter of perspective. Morality is based on ? perspective. So He decides. We just either choose to believe or disbelieve.
  • maestro_lungs
    Options
    Impossible, so nope.

Right and wrong is a matter of perspective. Morality is based on ? perspective. So He decides. We just either choose to believe or disbelieve.

Huh? Morality is Based on ? 's Perspective? So We Pose to Let ? Decide or Our Idea of ? Which Comes from a Book Written by Men in the 7th Century Decide what is Right or Wrong Huh?. Things Like This ? Witches
    You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

? Homosexuals
    "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

? Fortunetellers
    A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Death for Hitting Dad
    Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Death for Cursing Parents
    1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)
    2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

Death for Adultery
    If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication
    A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)
  • maestro_lungs
    Options
    You Telling me this is Right Cause Your Supposed ? says so? I Heard Ignorance is bliss, But Come on.

Don’t associate with non-Christians. Don’t receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them. 2 John 1:10
    << This is Right Why?

Shun those who disagree with your religious views. Romans 16:17
    << This is Right?

Paul, knowing that their faith would crumble if subjected to free and critical inquiry, tells his followers to avoid philosophy. Colossians 2:8
    << I Know Why You Might Think this is Right

This is Old Testament Fire & Brimstone ? , But You Telling me it's Right
    You must ? those who worship another ? . Exodus 22:20

? any friends or family that worship a ? that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

? all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

? everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

& Please Don't Give me That Horseshit About That's The Old Testament or It's not Taken Literal ?
  • Rock_Well
    edited June 2012
    Options
    You Telling me this is Right Cause Your Supposed ? says so? I Heard Ignorance is bliss, But Come on.

Don’t associate with non-Christians. Don’t receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them. 2 John 1:10
    << This is Right Why?

"If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting;" 2 John 1:10

It's for Christians. If you not Christian you will probably have a hard time understanding that one. You kind of embellished the writing a bit too. Most translations look more like the one in this post than the one in your post.
    << This is Right?
    Right regarding what exactly?
    "Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them." Romans 16:17

The command is to a Christian audience. You might have a hard time with that one if you not Christian.
    Paul, knowing that their faith would crumble if subjected to free and critical inquiry, tells his followers to avoid philosophy. Colossians 2:8
    "See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ." Colossians 2:8
    lol Get real @ those translations.
    come on now
    The command is written to a Christian audience.

? any friends or family that worship a ? that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

? all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

? everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

& Please Don't Give me That Horseshit About That's The Old Testament or It's not Taken Literal ?
    Most of this is taken out of context and or spun with a personal interpretation iced on top, so i can't take it serious.
  • VIBE
    edited June 2012
    Options

Murder can be both, murder is necessary. It is evil because it is not right to ? another person, we were taught this and it is in in some magic moral gene. So we grow up knowing murder is wrong, based on laws and our "moral standard" we have created. But it is good because it keeps population down. We are multiplying faster and faster because of irresponsible decision but image a world without murder, population would be higher.

So it can be both good and bad in one
  • VIBE
    Options
    ^ my post can't fix it from my phone
  • maestro_lungs
    Options
    Either if My Translation are Slightly Off. It Still Captures The Meaning & How is Teaching Judgement or Shun Those Who are not Christian Good? What was Taken out of Context? How About This ? False Prophets one

1) Suppose there are prophets among you, or those who have dreams about the future, and they promise you signs or miracles, and the predicted signs or miracles take place. If the prophets then say, 'Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,' do not listen to them. The LORD your ? is testing you to see if you love him with all your heart and soul. Serve only the LORD your ? and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him. The false prophets or dreamers who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your ? , who brought you out of slavery in the land of Egypt. Since they try to keep you from following the LORD your ? , you must execute them to remove the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NLT)

2) But any prophet who claims to give a message from another ? or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.' You may wonder, 'How will we know whether the prophecy is from the LORD or not?' If the prophet predicts something in the LORD's name and it does not happen, the LORD did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NLT)

Is That One I Won't Get Cause it's A Christian Command? I Thought this was ? 's Laws Written for all Men?
  • maestro_lungs
    Options
    Some of the scriptural texts that were not chosen to be included in the Bible are still referred to in the Bible Christians worship today. There are at least 18 references in the Bible to scriptural texts that man choses to exclude from the Bible. How can one honestly trust man's decision of what texts are to be deemed "sacred" when those very texts invoke other texts which man discarded as unsacred?
    • Book of Jasher (Joshua 10:13, 2 Samuel 1:18)
    • Book of the Acts of Solomon (1 Kings 11:41)
    • Book of Samuel the Seer (1 Chronicles 29:29)
    • Book of Gad the Seer (1 Chronicles 29:29)
    • Book of Nathan the Prophet (1 Chronicles 29:29, 2 Chronicles 9:29)
    • Prophecy of Ahijah (2 Chronicles 9:29, 13:22)
    • Visions of Iddo the Seer (2 Chronicles 9:29, 12:15, 13:22)
    • Book of Shemaiah (2 Chronicles 12:15)
    • Book of Jehu (2 Chronicles 35:25)
    • Sayings of the Seers (2 Chronicles 33:19)
    • Lament for Josiah (2 Chronicles 35:25)
    • Paul's epistle to Corinthians before our "1 Corinthians" (Corinthians 5:9)
    • Paul's epistle to Church at Laodicea (Colossians 4:16)
  • VIBE
    Options

Murder can be both, murder is necessary. It is evil because it is not right to ? another person, we were taught this and it is in in some magic moral gene. So we grow up knowing murder is wrong, based on laws and our "moral standard" we have created. But it is good because it keeps population down. We are multiplying faster and faster because of irresponsible decision but image a world without murder, population would be higher.

So it can be both good and bad in one

Meant to say "is NOT in some magic moral gene"
  • maestro_lungs
    Options

<< This is Right Why?

"If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting;" 2 John 1:10

It's for Christians. If you not Christian you will probably have a hard time understanding that one. You kind of embellished the writing a bit too. Most translations look more like the one in this post than the one in your post.
    << This is Right?
    Right regarding what exactly?
    "Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them." Romans 16:17

The command is to a Christian audience. You might have a hard time with that one if you not Christian.
    "See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ." Colossians 2:8
    lol Get real @ those translations.
    come on now
    The command is written to a Christian audience.

Most of this is taken out of context and or spun with a personal interpretation iced on top, so i can't take it serious.

No Matter How You Interpreted it it's still Instructing You To Be Close Minded , Judgemental & Basically Instructs you to Ignore & Stay away from any Opposing Views. Btw. I Was a Christian for a Long Time As Most American Atheist are. Very Rare someone is Raised Atheist in this Country & I Also Studied Islam Pretty Heavy for awhile, So At One Time Those Foolish Commands were for Me & They Weren't no More Right Then than They Are Know. If You Believe in a ? Then You Gotta Believe He Gave you a Brain to Use & The Ability to Change it when Presented with New Information & Evidence. Not To Be Restrained by a Book, But Hey That's Religion, Which Comes From the Greek Word Religio Meaning to Restrain
  • maestro_lungs
    Options
  • Rock_Well
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Restrain. With that comes the thing which a person is being restrained from, no? If my religion helps me restrain from evil then what the problem with that?
    To be fair, the verses you posted from the OT were given to Isreal, and most of those purpose was to use in court concerning capital punishment. it doesn't apply in a Christian law. and it doesn't highlight basic moral principles. Basic moral principles would be the ten commandments. Why not post those? How many of those you disagree with? How many of those do you follow, knowing it to be right? That came from ? my friend cause He commanded it before you or anyone else decided to do it so you can't take the credit for it.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Basic moral principles would be the ten commandments. Why not post those? How many of those you disagree with? How many of those do you follow, knowing it to be right? That came from ? my friend cause He commanded it before you or anyone else decided to do it so you can't take the credit for it.

Excuse my language but what the ? ever. The Egyptians had a laundry list of rules and regulations before the ten commandments were thought about. Like I told you earlier, no ? made these rules. Society decided what was beneficial to society.

42 Laws of Ma'at
    http://maatlaws.blogspot.com/2010/06/42-laws-of-maat.html
  • maestro_lungs
    Options
    It Restrains You From Outside Info & Not all Outside Info is Evil Cause it Goes Against Your Beliefs or Proves a Certain Part of Your Doctrine to be False! & aren’t the Ten Commandments part of the Old Law?” Right? I Know you are obligated to follow them because they are reported in the NT” (Matthew 19:16-18, Mark 10:17-19 & Luke 18:18-22). According to scripture it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of law to fail” (Luke 16:17 & Matthew 5:18-19). If sin is transgression of the law, as 1 John 3:4 says, then you should be following all of the Old Law Not Just Cherry Picking What you Like. Far as the 10 Commandments, I Disagree with them on Some Level, Cause it's Too Absolute. There are Times to ? , There are Times to Steal
  • maestro_lungs
    Options
    For those of you Christians who disregard the Old Testament (even though Christ said it was forever binding), I have gathered together a great law from the New Testament. Romans 1 :29-32 “Those filled with unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, hate for ? , despite, proud, boasters, inventions of evil things, disobedience to parents, without understanding, covenant breakers, unnatural affection, implacable or unmerciful nature: Who knowing the judgment of ? , that they which commit such things are worthy of death”.

Now I have had the displeasure of meeting many a Christian and I have one to meet as of yet, whom according to this list, are NOT worthy of death.

In my opinion it is only fair that if the commandments are to be displayed, so should the penalties for breaking those commandments.

1st. Commandment, Exodus 20:3 “Thou shalt have no other gods before me”. Old Testament punishment - Deuteronomy 17:1-5 “And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heavens, which I have not commanded. Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing and shalt stone them with stones, till they die”. Deuteronomy 13:6-10, “If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy ? , or thy friend, which is of thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely ? him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. Thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the Lord thy ? ." Exodus 22:20 “He that sacrificeth unto any ? , save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed”. New Testament punishment - Mark 16:16 “He that believeth not, shall be damned”.

2nd. Commandment, Exodus 20:4 “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water below.” Old Testament punishment- Deuteronomy 27: 1 5 “Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image.” That’s right kids don’t EVER draw, sculpt or paint or else ? will curse you. Wanna be an artist, a photographer, take a picture of yourself or family? TOO BAD, ? says no! You better drop out of art class before he smites you with boils.

3rd. Commandment, Exodus 20:7 “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain”. Old Testament punishment - Leviticus 24:16 “And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death”, New Testament punishment - Matthew 12:32 “Whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come”. Mark 3:29 - “He that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgivness, but is in danger of eternal damnation”.

4th. Commandment, Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy”. Old Testament punishment - Exodus 31:15 “Whosoever shall work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death”. Numbers 15:32. “And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the Sabbath day…And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses.”

5th. Commandment, Exodus 20:12 “Honour thy father and thy mother”. Old Testament punishment - Exodus 21:15-17 “And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death”. More punishment - Exodus 21:17 “And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death”.

6th. Commandment, Exodus 20:13 “Thou shalt not ? ”. Strangely enough this is a commandment despite all the punishments that require death in the New Testament and the Old Testament. How can thou not ? when thou is commanded to ? at the same time? This hypocrisy should be pointed out if the ten commandments are posted in schools, court rooms and buildings of legislation. The confusion of this commandment would surely bring capitol punishment into question.

7th. Commandment, Exodus 20:14 “Thou shalt not commit adultery”. Old Testament punishment - Leviticus 20:10 “And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall be put to death”.

I Could Go On, But You Get the Picture
  • VIBE
    Options
  • Rock_Well
    Options
    im gonna check the dates of the earliest writings we have for the 42 laws of Ma'at next chance i get and verify where they came from. its interesting IF those writings did come before the ten commandments but whether they did or didn't doesn't say much about the moral standard upheld in the Bible other than sometimes men decide to agree. Even before the ten commandments ? law is written in men's heart so its because of ? that we even able to put laws in place that benefit society. The Bible says every good thing is from Heaven. All authorities exist by Gods will. All governments exist because ? ordained it according to His revealed or unrevealed purpose. The Bible even tells us he rose pharoah up in Egypt to basically to use as an opportunity to show the world ? power in delivering His ppl from a wicked rule.
  • Rock_Well
    Options
    Maestro - the Bible condemns wickedness and lawlessness that is consistent all throughout the Book. It doesn't condemn outside info that's taking it too far. Men stay taking stuff too far that's one of the problem, not the Bible. Also the OT wad fulfilled by Jesus and upgraded with the NT law of Christ. The OT is for learning, we need it for that and understanding. The OT does not contain the plan of salvation in it.
  • VIBE
    Options
    Crazy how the old laws are done away with and new ones are implemented. Thought ? was "never changing", *shrugs*
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crazy how the old laws are done away with and new ones are implemented. Thought ? was "never changing", *shrugs*

They didn't change...Christ amplified them for better understanding.

You have to understand The Messiah was living during the Old Testament times and the religious leaders (Pharisees) were very strict and the main lawkeepers, basically they were the main restrainers of the people. Christ came to free those restraints and give clarity to the laws.
  • maestro_lungs
    Options

They didn't change...Christ amplified them for better understanding.

You have to understand The Messiah was living during the Old Testament times and the religious leaders (Pharisees) were very strict and the main lawkeepers, basically they were the main restrainers of the people. Christ came to free those restraints and give clarity to the laws.

The Messiah is a Work of Fiction. Do You Have Any Proof of His Existence Other Than your Bible? Prior to 33-36 CE, when Paul started sharing his stories, there was no mention of the figure Jesus Christ nor did this savior have any known following. So where did the story of Jesus come from? As with all great stories told over the centuries the story of Jesus has many origins and developed more and more during each retelling. What started out as Paul's imagination and personal interpentation of Hebrew scriptures eventually became the Jesus we know today through an accumilation of traits pulled from various stories and storytellers.