Batman vs. Thanos

Options

Comments

• Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Him wrote: »

I was gonna say the same thing. DC messed up Batman by making him something he was not when he was created. Batman was a crime fighter, not a superhero.

Right. Things get silly when you take him away from the core of what he is. That's why I give Morrison the Shaq/Kobe face when I read some of his Batman stuff.
    Bloo Q wrote: »

I've seen the issue, someone was about to die and Batman announces on the cover that if he must fly to save this person, then he will fly or something to that effect. It's old as hell, maybe 50's or 60's, but it was a product of horrible writing none the less.

My essential problem with DC comics on a whole was always the writing. While I was growing up DC was ass. Crisis on Infinite Earths was really the first time I ever cared for a DC arc, but even then the story was not nearly as good as some of the arcs in Marvel at the time (Mutant Massacre in particular).

I won't go as far as saying that DC can't compete with Marvel in regards to writing, but I do prefer Marvel. A large part of that is relatability. You can simply empathize with Marvel character more due to most of them having a character flaw that makes them human in a way. That's probably the same reason why I like Batman and Captain Marvel more than the other DC characters.

• Bloo Q
    Bloo Q Members Posts: 377
    Options
    Doctopian wrote: »

I was gonna say the same thing. DC messed up Batman by making him something he was not when he was created. Batman was a crime fighter, not a superhero.

Right. Things get silly when you take him away from the core of what he is. That's why I give Morrison the Shaq/Kobe face when I read some of his Batman stuff.

I've seen the issue, someone was about to die and Batman announces on the cover that if he must fly to save this person, then he will fly or something to that effect. It's old as hell, maybe 50's or 60's, but it was a product of horrible writing none the less.

My essential problem with DC comics on a whole was always the writing. While I was growing up DC was ass. Crisis on Infinite Earths was really the first time I ever cared for a DC arc, but even then the story was not nearly as good as some of the arcs in Marvel at the time (Mutant Massacre in particular).

I won't go as far as saying that DC can't compete with Marvel in regards to writing, but I do prefer Marvel. A large part of that is relatability. You can simply empathize with Marvel character more due to most of them having a character flaw that makes them human in a way. That's probably the same reason why I like Batman and Captain Marvel more than the other DC characters.

Funny thing... I will watch a DC based cartoon before I watch a Marvel one. Justice League/JLU had writing that made the heroes more human than the comics. Batman was never a true member of the League in the show and had a deep distrust of the superpowered members (they even carried over the canon piece where Batman keeps a piece of Kryptonite in his belt in case Superman goes rogue). The relationship between Green Lantern and Hawkgirl ran deep and got complicated, especially after he started seeing Vixen, then went into the future and met his son by Hawkgirl.

The writing on the show was superb and they managed to keep most of the canon from the comics intact (not all... most).

Meanwhile, Marvel consistently ? up their shows, changing ? , adding characters for the shows that didn't exist in the comics... all kinda dumb ? ... And the writing, most of the time, was ? -awful. I mean... Iron Man is a ? KID???!!! GTFOHWTBS!!!

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Funny thing... I will watch a DC based cartoon before I watch a Marvel one. Justice League/JLU had writing that made the heroes more human than the comics. Batman was never a true member of the League in the show and had a deep distrust of the superpowered members (they even carried over the canon piece where Batman keeps a piece of Kryptonite in his belt in case Superman goes rogue). The relationship between Green Lantern and Hawkgirl ran deep and got complicated, especially after he started seeing Vixen, then went into the future and met his son by Hawkgirl.

The writing on the show was superb and they managed to keep most of the canon from the comics intact (not all... most).

Meanwhile, Marvel consistently ? up their shows, changing ? , adding characters for the shows that didn't exist in the comics... all kinda dumb ? ... And the writing, most of the time, was ? -awful. I mean... Iron Man is a ? KID???!!! GTFOHWTBS!!!

Marvel has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG Way to Go before they even can ? with DC in terms of Cartoons or Animated Movies thats not even a competition period.

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spectacular Spiderman was pretty good before it got cancelled smh
  • I Am Him
    I Am Him Members Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think with those shows(Super Hero Squad and Kid Iron Man)they were aiming at little kids to try to get them to read comics. Reptile was the viewer on the team. I think Ultimate Spider-Man is the right mixture of young and old. I had a little problem with the cut-scenes, but I think only two characters could pull that off and Deadpool will never get his own show. Avengers is rapidly becoming one of my favorite cartoons. Which is crazy because I have never been a fan of the Avengers.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Avengers cartoon is good, but yeah other than the DC got the animation game on lock. That said, it's the complete opposite when it comes to movies. Other than the Batman franchise, DC isn't much competition for Marvel in that arena.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marvel tends to use their Ultimate or alternative universe brand when making these cartoons..The new Avengers toon has a combination of both the Ultimate and 616 storylines..Iron Man Armored Avengers is a pretty decent show but on average DC has better animation than Marvel. Both universes can have decent storylines, I just personally prefer Marvel over DC. DC goes out of their way to show Superman and Batman as being the greatest and sometimes that gets in the way of storytelling..Don't get me wrong there are plenty of writers in Marvel who have the tendacy of getting out of control with their characters
  • jaxn
    Options

Agreed, just take a look at Spiderman..his entire character is based on failing to stop the guy who killed his uncle, but when you delve deeper, most of his rogues gallery consists of folks he knows personally..the Lizard, Green Goblin, Kraven, Venom..all guys who have a personal relationship with him as Peter Parker..the Hulk, a hero who struggles with being a monster..Thor, living in his father's shadow, showing more concern for humans than his godly friends at times..Ironman was a ? who needed to create the armor to basically save himself..the Xmen are basically black folks in comics imo..they have to deal with the world hating them, despite them saving the world on a number of occasions..
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    Marvel tends to use their Ultimate or alternative universe brand when making these cartoons..The new Avengers toon has a combination of both the Ultimate and 616 storylines..Iron Man Armored Avengers is a pretty decent show but on average DC has better animation than Marvel. Both universes can have decent storylines, I just personally prefer Marvel over DC. DC goes out of their way to show Superman and Batman as being the greatest and sometimes that gets in the way of storytelling..Don't get me wrong there are plenty of writers in Marvel who have the tendacy of getting out of control with their characters

I think generally Marvel >> DC
    but DC cartoons >> Marvel cartoons

what dc does to their comics, marvel does to their cartoons which is a lot of pandering.
  • jaxn
    Options

I think generally Marvel >> DC
    but DC cartoons >> Marvel cartoons

what dc does to their comics, marvel does to their cartoons which is a lot of pandering.

agreed
  • I Am Him
    Options
    Now is it that DC stories and characters that make them have better cartoons or is it the fact they have maybe the best cartoon studio doing their shows? I think one of the reasons Disney got Marvel is Disney did not have a lot of experience with making shows boys could get into. I think I could count on one hand the number of Disney shows I liked as a kid. Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, and Gargoyles. Gargoyles is the only one that could hang with WB animation. After typing all of that I realize that it has nothing to do with Batman vs. Thanos so..... Thanos wins
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As far as diluting cartoons go, I really can't be too mad because one of the most beloved cartoons of our generation deviated almost completely from the source material but we still hold it in our hearts to this very day. The teenage Mutant ninja turtles 80s cartoon was a HUGE departure from the Eastman & Laird comic: foot soldiers became robots, master splinter wound up being the a mutated sensei as opposed to his pet, and some of our favorite characters Rocksteady and Bebop were made just for the show.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    As far as diluting cartoons go, I really can't be too mad because one of the most beloved cartoons of our generation deviated almost completely from the source material but we still hold it in our hearts to this very day. The teenage Mutant ninja turtles 80s cartoon was a HUGE departure from the Eastman & Laird comic: foot soldiers became robots, master splinter wound up being the a mutated sensei as opposed to his pet, and some of our favorite characters Rocksteady and Bebop were made just for the show.

Don't forget that Shredder was killed pretty quickly in the comics but was the primary villain in the cartoon.

• yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only problem is when it sucks. When cartoons or movies become a new arch I just view it as a new arch. The a new arch is in the comics it is ok, because of the medium. More children watch cartoons and movies than comics. More adults do too. If the arch is dope I do not mind, it is when they change it around and it sucks so bad that bothers me at least it seems that way about most too.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    c1up wrote: »

He died and was with Death

As of Thanos Imperative, that is no longer the case.

Alright, let's make this interesting. What type of aid do y'all think Batman would need to pull this off?

nothingless than Superboy Prime level of backup
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just not possible...Thanos claps up entire universes just cuz he feels like simpin. Thanos is just SO much more powerful.
  • a.mann
    Options
    except that Darkseid and Thanos aren't valid comparisons. Thanos is above DS by a good margin both in intelligence and power. DS is Superman level, hell he's below Superman barring a few recent showings

DS is maybe slightly more powerful than the Sliver Surfer

Thanos has made SS his ? on more than one occasion

• a.mann
    Options
    Powers and Abilities

By far the most powerful Titanian Eternal, Thanos is a mutant whose massive, heavy-bodied body was born with the capacity to synthesize cosmic energy for certain personal uses. Thanos has increased his powers through bionic amplification, mystical enhancement, and as a result of being resurrected by Death itself.

Superhuman Intellect: Possibly Thanos' most dangerous ability is his mind. Thanos' intellect is dedicated to enhancing his own powers and to the annihilation of all life. Thanos is a genius in virtually all known fields of advanced science and has created technology far exceeding contemporary Earth science. His intellect surpasses Earth's greatest minds, Reed Richards and Doctor Doom.

Superhuman Strength: Thanos possesses vast superhuman strength the full limits of which aren't known. Death has increased his strength beyond their original limits to levels rivaling or surpassing those of the physically strongest Eternals. Thanos is one of the strongest beings in the Universe and is capable of lifting far in excess of 100 tons without any effort. Thanos' strength is so vast he has destroyed entire planets with the simple force of his blows. He has proven capable of fighting both Thor and the Thing simultaneously for an extended period. His strength reserves are so vast that with only a handful of blows, he has been able to beat the likes of the Silver Surfer to the brink of death. Thanos can augment his strength with his cosmic energy when needed.

Superhuman Speed: Despite his massive muscular bulk, Thanos is capable of running and moving at speeds greater than the finest human athlete.

Limitless Stamina: Thanos' musculature produces almost no fatigue toxins during physical activity. As a result, he has limitless superhuman stamina in all physical activities.

Superhuman Durability: Before his "death", Thanos possessed an impressive degree of resistance to physical injury, even compared to other Eternals. After his resurrection, Death increased his ability to resist injury to a much greater degree and he is nigh invulnerable. He has withstood at point blank range planet destroying attacks without any harm. He has withstood blows and attacks from beings as powerful as the Silver Surfer, and even Thor unharmed. He possesses such an incredible resistance to injury, he has been shown to survive point blank blasts from universal level entities such as Odin and Galactus.

Immortality: Thanos, like all Eternals, is immortal in the sense that he is immune to all known diseases and infections and is immune to the effects of aging. Formerly, Thanos was banned by Death itself from entering its realm, rendering him truly immortal. No matter the severity of any injury, Thanos was unable to die and completely recovered.

Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite his extraordinary durability, it is possible to injure Thanos. Like all Eternals, however, Thanos is capable of regenerating damaged tissue with much greater speed and efficiency than a human being. His healing powers aren't as developed as those of some Eternals. Some Eternals are capable of regenerating any destroyed tissue. Given the circumstances of his latest death, Thanos is unable to regenerate missing organs.

Superhuman Agility: Despite his great size, Thanos' agility, balance, and ? coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete. His agility is roughly equal to that of the average Eternal.

Superhuman Reflexes: Thanos' reaction time is enhanced to a level that is beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete. Like his agility, his reflexes are about average for an Eternal.

Energy Manipulation:Thanos has displayed great versatility in the use of his energy projection powers. He has demonstrated the ability to project energy as a concussive force, gamma radiation bursts, infrared heat-beams, and disruptor beams, as well as form force shields. The exact extent of Thanos' energy projection abilities are unknown, but a single eye-blast has been capable of rendering the Thing unconscious and knocking down the likes of Thor. His blasts are so powerful he has been able to easily destroy planets and release In-Betweener from his prison created by Master Order and Lord Chaos. It has been speculated that the nature of Thanos' cosmic energy reserve may be quasi-mystical in nature.

Telepathy: Thanos possesses vast psionic abilities. His mind is invulnerable to most forms of psychic attack. So far Thanos has demonstrated the ability to project blasts of psionic energy, as well as being able to shut down another being's mind and can communicate telepathically with most if not all beings.

Matter Manipulation: Thanos has demonstrated the ability to manipulate matter on the atomic level similar to other Earthborn Eternals. On one occasion, he turned the Skrull, Skragg into stone.

b]Teleportation: [/b]Thanos can teleport himself across unknown distances under his own power in the same manner that most Earthborn Eternals can. It is likely that Thanos, like most Earthborn Eternals find the process unpleasant and instead, prefers to use teleportation technology.

Abilities
    Although he typically avoids physical combat, Thanos is a highly formidable hand to hand combatant. He is particularly skillful at using a combination of his physical and energy manipulative abilities during combat. He also has great knowledge of arcane and mystical lore.

Strength level
    Class 100+
  • Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    Options
    While there is a bit of embellishing here and there, that is a pretty good description of what he can do.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't believe this has gone 2 pages....I'm a huge batman fan...even a stan to some extent...but under no circumstances can he defeat Thanos.....I mean how doe you even defeat Thanos...dude is an abstract like Galactus. You cant ? him cuz his baby mama dont want him around the house, you cant out tech him....because you just cant, you can maybe trap him in some next reality...but even then...at the end of it...thats probably part of his plan.
  • I Am Him
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    I can't believe this has gone 2 pages....I'm a huge batman fan...even a stan to some extent...but under no circumstances can he defeat Thanos.....I mean how doe you even defeat Thanos...dude is an abstract like Galactus. You cant ? him cuz his baby mama dont want him around the house, you cant out tech him....because you just cant, you can maybe trap him in some next reality...but even then...at the end of it...thats probably part of his plan.

I can respect you as fan of Batman because you can be objective.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    Options

Not Trying To Get Technical Or Anything But Thanos Isn't An Abstract...Hes A Mutant Eternal From Titan....But I Do Co-Sign Everything Else You Said....Bruce Has No Chance Of Taking Out The Mad Titan Unless Its ? Writting

• jaxn
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    except that Darkseid and Thanos aren't valid comparisons. Thanos is above DS by a good margin both in intelligence and power. DS is Superman level, hell he's below Superman barring a few recent showings

DS is maybe slightly more powerful than the Sliver Surfer

Thanos has made SS his ? on more than one occasion
    nah DS is below Superman in power..Superman beat the brakes off of DS in one of the most disrespectful scenes to ever see comic print.. Silver Surfer is more powerful than Superman and this was before his power up in Annihilation

• jaxn
    Options

Not Trying To Get Technical Or Anything But Thanos Isn't An Abstract...Hes A Mutant Eternal From Titan....But I Do Co-Sign Everything Else You Said....Bruce Has No Chance Of Taking Out The Mad Titan Unless Its ? Writting

agreed..its arguable whether Galactus is an abstract.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ya'll got Darkseid ? up. He's much stronger than ya'll give him credit for. The real Darkseid, not one of the avatars he often uses, is arguably more powerful than Thanos though maybe not as crafty.