Batman vs. Thanos

Options

Comments

• Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Here we go with this Grant Morrison "real Darkseid" ? ...
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya'll got Darkseid ? up. He's much stronger than ya'll give him credit for. The real Darkseid, not one of the avatars he often uses, is arguably more powerful than Thanos though maybe not as crafty.

nah
  • jaxn
    Options
    that "real DS" is some nonsense DC came up with to make up for how badly the guy fell off..hell Thanos has avatars/clones that are more powerful than DS.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • I Am Him
    I Am Him Members Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Only in the mind of Batman stans
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    batman-vs-thanos-vs-brainac-vs-reed-vs-doom-vs-darkseid-4956.jpg

Damn Straight......
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    that "real DS" is some nonsense DC came up with to make up for how badly the guy fell off..hell Thanos has avatars/clones that are more powerful than DS.

This is false. Darkseid and all the New Gods were originally written to be well beyond characters like Superman and such. DC is the one that brought them down to a lower level. Yeah the whole avatar thing has been used as a copout, but point is still t hat Darkseid as he was originally written was extremely powerful. We're talking about a guy that went around wiping out whole pantheons of other gods. Not to mention that he has the Omega Effect which can straight up erase people from existence.

I like Thanos way more than Darkseid, but ya'll dudes are speaking out of ignorance if you really believe that Darkseid is on Silver Surfer's level.

• Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options

This is false. Darkseid and all the New Gods were originally written to be well beyond characters like Superman and such. DC is the one that brought them down to a lower level. Yeah the whole avatar thing has been used as a copout, but point is still t hat Darkseid as he was originally written was extremely powerful. We're talking about a guy that went around wiping out whole pantheons of other gods. Not to mention that he has the Omega Effect which can straight up erase people from existence.

I like Thanos way more than Darkseid, but ya'll dudes are speaking out of ignorance if you really believe that Darkseid is on Silver Surfer's level.

I don't see how what you said conflicts with what he said.

There was a time (about 25-30 years ago), where Darkseid was head and shoulders above any conventional superhero or villain. From what I gathered, the point of Kirby's Fourth World was to isolate the New Gods from the DC Universe proper, but that boundary is nonexistent nowadays. As you both said in the emboldened, Darkseid has fallen from the level of a guy who was able to harm the Anti-Monitor during the Crisis to a guy who gets his ? ran through by Superman and Doomsday Post-Crisis.

• I Am Him
    I Am Him Members Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Doctopian wrote: »

There was a time (about 25-30 years ago), where Darkseid was head and shoulders above any conventional superhero or villain. From what I gathered, the point of Kirby's Fourth World was to isolate the New Gods from the DC Universe proper, but that boundary is nonexistent nowadays. As you both said in the emboldened, Darkseid has fallen from the level of a guy who was able to harm the Anti-Monitor during the Crisis to a guy who gets his ? ran through by Superman and Doomsday Post-Crisis.

I blame it on the cartoons. From the 80's to Superman and JL. He was pretty much used as a punching bag for Superman to cut loose.
  • jaxn55
    jaxn55 Members Posts: 13
    Options

I'm well aware of DS' origins..unfortunately DC chose to show him in a pathetic light..not me..at this point in his life.. Darkseid can't even sniff Superman's ? ..Silver Surfer is >>>> Superman

• jaxn55
    Options

exactly..you can't be taken seriously if you are "begging" Superman to stop beating your ass..they had DS sink so low he began to stumble just walking up steps..the ? was pathetic
  • jaxn55
    Options
    and iirc, Thanos was created based on DS so yeah at one point in his career DS was that dude..unfortunately for him and thanks to DC's retcons, that's not the case anymore
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

The difference I'm pointing out is that the whole use of "avatars" thing that DC has done with Darkseid has been an attempt to preserve some of that mystique. He's just flat out dismissing it as if they don't exist. We can all agree that Darkseid is not what he originally was, but to act like he's nothing to Superman or on the level of Silver Surfer is pretty ridiculous. He hasn't fallen that far. Has Superman beaten him solo? Yes, but that means nothing, because Superman is the DC posterboy and in the end always wins. Let's not act like Darkseid hasn't stomped a mudhole in Superman's ass before.

All I'm saying is that Darkseid is still comparable to Thanos as far as DC goes, and Thanos is far above Surfer and likely beyond Superman too.
  • jaxn
    Options

The difference I'm pointing out is that the whole use of "avatars" thing that DC has done with Darkseid has been an attempt to preserve some of that mystique. He's just flat out dismissing it as if they don't exist. We can all agree that Darkseid is not what he originally was, but to act like he's nothing to Superman or on the level of Silver Surfer is pretty ridiculous. He hasn't fallen that far. Has Superman beaten him solo? Yes, but that means nothing, because Superman is the DC posterboy and in the end always wins. Let's not act like Darkseid hasn't stomped a mudhole in Superman's ass before.

All I'm saying is that Darkseid is still comparable to Thanos as far as DC goes, and Thanos is far above Surfer and likely beyond Superman too.

I'm not dismissing it, it just doesn't matter since obviously it doesn't even matter to DC..Superman didn't just beat DS..He beat him like he was Ironman level or something. When Thanos gets his eyes beaten swollen by Thor and starts crying then you can say they're comparable in power, otherwise it's not even close. The only rivalry Thanos has with a top tier or below character is with Adam Warlock and Drax. Warlock based on their early history before he Thanos was powered up further by Death and Drax because he's like the kryptonite to Thanos. Thanos fights guys who are on average more powerful than elite top tiers
  • Grahf
    Grahf Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Classic Darkseid was beyond ridiculous in power. He spanked Pre-Zero Hour Validus (no small feat!) and pwned the JLA with a freakin hologram. But there's no denying he's fallen considerably off in portrayals of his power level, durability, etc...Here's Darkseid before and after:

ssosv004121rd8mw.jpg
    f9e5c182jpgorig8tb.jpg
    pic037yl9.jpg
    pic038ku5.jpg
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options

Surfer = Thanos (More Or Less) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Supes
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited April 2012
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »

Dog, the first part of that inequality completely invalidates your opinion on this matter.

surf0na.jpg

Surfer ain't seeing Thanos on any level.
  • jaxn
    Options

Dog, the first part of that inequality completely invalidates your opinion on this matter.

surf0na.jpg

While I won't say Surfer is on par with Thanos, Surfer has since had a power up since that comic book and while weakened, he was able to match Thanos' power output or however much power that was needed to release Galactus during Annihilation..Thanos was in the middle of releasing Galactus when Drax killed him, but only someone of at least Thanos' power signature or level was able to release Galactus according to the story.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

surf0na.jpg

While I won't say Surfer is on par with Thanos, Surfer has since had a power up since that comic book and while weakened, he was able to match Thanos' power output or however much power that was needed to release Galactus during Annihilation..Thanos was in the middle of releasing Galactus when Drax killed him, but only someone of at least Thanos' power signature or level was able to release Galactus according to the story.

That's true, but at most that says that Surfer's energy output is on par with Thanos. It says nothing about their strength or durability which are Thanos' true claims to fame. Surfer is not Thanos' equal. Thanos has dishragged Surfer in pretty much every confrontation they've had. Surfer has gotten a power-up but we have no idea what difference that makes since they haven't fought since then. Based on established history though, Thanos is pretty far beyond Surfer.

That said, didn't it say that Surfer matched Thanos' power signature not his output? I forget so I'm not saying for sure, but if that was the case, Surfer doing that wasn't a matter of energy output but of energy manipulation.
  • jaxn
    Options

surf0na.jpg

That's true, but at most that says that Surfer's energy output is on par with Thanos. It says nothing about their strength or durability which are Thanos' true claims to fame. Surfer is not Thanos' equal.
    Ok but by saying his output is on par with Thanos' what does that mean? I never said that Surfer was Thanos' equal but there is merit to the claim. Regarding his strength and durability..it's obvious Thanos has Surfer beat in those categories..
    Thanos has dishragged Surfer in pretty much every confrontation they've had. Surfer has gotten a power-up but we have no idea what difference that makes since they haven't fought since then. Based on established history though, Thanos is pretty far beyond Surfer.
    I'm just addressing the idea that a poster lost his credibility by suggesting that Surfer is on par with Thanos when it's been established within Marvel continuity.
    That said, didn't it say that Surfer matched Thanos' power signature not his output? I forget so I'm not saying for sure, but if that was the case, Surfer doing that wasn't a matter of energy output but of energy manipulation.
    yes, his signature but do you believe Surfer would've been able to match Thanos' signature when he fought him leading up to the Infinity Gauntlet saga? I'd say no..nor do I believe it was a case of simply manipulating energy..energy manipulation is what he did when he synthesized the Odin power and gave Beta Ray Bill a new uniform or when he manipulated the energy in Obliterator's weapons and made them shoot harmless light. It wasn't as simple as Thanos walking over to the machine and shooting a blast into it..he was going through a process to the point he couldn't defend himself against Drax. Again, i'm not saying Surfer is equal to or greater than Thanos since I don't believe that to be the case. Thanos has had multiple power ups over the years and we're in agreement that Thanos is more powerful
  • Grahf
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Besides a very small handful of moments, Silver Surfer always had the cosmic equivalent of a glass jaw. If you connect physical body or head blows to Norrin, he's done. Thanos ALWAYS had insane durability.

8424_1136590140943_1413049612_30358.jpg

• jaxn
    Options
    that's one of the oldest reference you can bring up..hahahaha everyone has low showings in their career..that's just like bringing up Hulk being choked out by a snake..
  • Grahf
    edited April 2012
    Options
    that's one of the oldest reference you can bring up..hahahaha everyone has low showings in their career..that's just like bringing up Hulk being choked out by a snake..

only prob with this is that Silver Surfer has made a career of low showings. It was a running joke in the comic community that Silver Surfer was the cosmic gatekeeper. Whether you agree if the showing or think its PIS, If you wanna test your new/old character out just have him pwn Silver Surfer. Everyone and their grandma has gotten the better of Norrin. Nick Fury, Mexican farmers (TWICE!), Hulk, etc...What about Thanos low showing?

2llon4l.jpg

• DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? trippin talmbout the SS having a glass jaw

Silver_Surfer_036-03.jpg
  • jaxn
    Options
    Grahf wrote: »
    only prob with this is that Silver Surfer has made a career of low showings. It was a running joke in the comic community that Silver Surfer was the cosmic gatekeeper. Whether you agree if the showing or think its PIS, If you wanna test your new/old character out just have him pwn Silver Surfer. Everyone and their grandma has gotten the better of Norrin. Nick Fury, Mexican farmers (TWICE!), Hulk, etc...What about Thanos low showing?

what has Nick Fury done to him? The Surfer has a winning record over the Hulk though and has taken his blows without too much problem. The Surfer almost killed the Hulk at one point..hell even in their most recent encounter on Planet Hulk, the Surfer had the better of Hulk and his crew before he was released from the disk and the Hulk got his beatdown on..I mean everyone has low showings in comics..Thanos lost to Squirrel Girl..I just find it out that you're bringing up an issue from 30 years ago as though it has some baring on the guy today. As far as testing old/new characters you can say the same thing about Thor because he's had his fair share of beatings too by characters