themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PlayStation Plus doubled new subscribers with free games

If you give them games, they will come

Words: Connor Sheridan on September 28, 2012

16 Comments

Email

Share / Save

How did PlayStation Plus go from general grumblings to a 97 percent customer satisfaction rate? According to a VentureBeat interview with Jack Buser, PlayStation senior director of digital platforms, all it took was listening to gamers. And it turns out gamers want free games.

“In retrospect, it seems like, yeah, of course. Gamers love games,” Buser said. “But we came to that conclusion through a mountain of data, and we really landed on this idea that not only are we going to put free games on the service, but we’re going to put great free games on the service.”

Sony announced the Instant Game Collection, an assortment of titles available gratis to Plus subscribers, at E3 this year. The collection includes AAA titles like InFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, and Borderlands.

“That week of E3, we saw a two-times lift of new membership sales,” Buser said. “It just skyrocketed.”

Customer satisfaction also nearly doubled from around 50 percent before E3, he said. But the Instant Game Collection wasn't just a boon for Sony and subscribers.. Gearbox used the service to woo new players to Borderlands 2 by offering up its predecessor, Buser said.

“Some of the most active and vocal people on PlayStation Network are PlayStation Plus members, and a whole new group of people were exposed [to the Borderlands franchise] right in time for Borderlands 2.”

Sony plans to begin offering PlayStation Plus services to subscribers on PS Vita in November.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They needed a mountain of data to determine humans liked free stuff?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    its like costco.

You pay a fee to be a member, and you're allowed into their little club. Only difference is costco doesnt throw in groceries for being a member.

games arent free, theyre perks. Like union dues, membership fees, etc. if Sony wanted to they could be ? and easily say that the games u buy at discount will expire if you dont renew but they dont. So I dont see how Ps+ is a waste of money at all.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's like Netflix...

I pay 8.00 a month to watch 5 seasons of Breaking Bad and whatever else I want to watch...
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ "you pay $50 a yr and get over $200 worth of free games, how is it free?"

• grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    EU gets this month:
    Resident Evil 5 Gold
    Bulletstorm
    Hell Yeah! Wrath of Dead Rabbit

NA gets:
    Half of Starhawk
    NFL Blitz
    ? (Fat Princess?)
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    VIBE wrote: »

It's wouldn't be so bad if you could choose the games.

That doesn't bug me because it's not ? titles, they give us big popular titles and its a well balanced freebie of games.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    Yo someone help me out here....

I'm planning on coppin the $49.99/year joint. And the only thing I really want is the discounts. What I'm curious about is.... are there any discounts for the PS One or PS2 games they have on PSN thru the Playstation Plus ?

Please let me know before I purchase this.

Regards,
    Sion.

Nope. Once in a while there are sales though on certain publishers PS1 games.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That doesn't bug me because it's not ? titles, they give us big popular titles and its a well balanced freebie of games.

Enjoy half of starhawk.
    Considering that the people that download the half weren't gonna buy the game at all, that's still a good deal.

• Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    Options
    Sion has seen the light! Sometimes they give out free PS1 games and have discounts on them. Anybody hating on Plus is an idiot at this point. Service more than pays for itself.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man this ? is wild.... I was browsing thru PSN and they've got like 20 games for free if you have PS+ , where the ? else can you get a deal like that tho ? Unbelievable. How the ? did I miss this ages ago SMMFH. Some of them are PS2 joints, but a lot of them are PS3 joints not just online games.

These ? got Fight Night Champion for $5 b, I swear to ? FIVE DOLLARS. ? I bought that ? on 360 in Montreal for $25 preowned and I thought I was winning SMMFH..... this is incredible.

You thought we were lying???
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    lol @ Sion like a kid on Christmas morning
  • joshuaboy
    Options

Enjoy half of starhawk.
    Considering that the people that download the half weren't gonna buy the game at all, that's still a good deal.

They give you half to entice you to pay for the other half. Just like episodic games like Walking Dead and various other lame iOS titles.

And that's a bad thing?

Just like Borderlands being given free now that B2 is out. Might convince me to buy B2 if I like it.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    edited October 2012
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

And that's a bad thing?

Just like Borderlands being given free now that B2 is out. Might convince me to buy B2 if I like it.

when europe is getting multiple full games at a clip, yeah i think it's wack getting half of a game.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just downloaded the scott pilgrim game.......I ? with it
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KOFXIII will be free of charge tomorrow. Go and get it
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    Options
    KOFXIII will be free of charge tomorrow. Go and get it

amazing game. bad netcoding.

• vageneral08
    Options
    I like KOF just never got it bcuz of the other fighting games that came around the same time
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    I like KOF just never got it bcuz of the other fighting games that came around the same time

I'm not into fighting games ................................. but it's free so I'm getting it

• vageneral08
    Options

I'm not into fighting games ................................. but it's free so I'm getting it
    I played the demo it plays smooth and the graphics are decent
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    I got a question about Playstation Plus:

Ok do free games stay up forever ? Or are there time limits for how long you have till you d/l a game before it's unavailable ??

Usually 2 weeks until they are taken down. So "purchase" them so they are saved to your account then download them whenever.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    Options
    Payday: The Heist is "free" for PSN+ on October 16th.

Also get exclusive access to the PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale beta.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/15/playstation-plus-gets-payday-the-heist-the-unfinished-swan-early-access/
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Payday: The Heist is "free" for PSN+ on October 16th.

Also get exclusive access to the PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale beta.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/15/playstation-plus-gets-payday-the-heist-the-unfinished-swan-early-access/

Damn, I gotta re-download the beta. Nobody was on it after two weeks.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That PlayStation all stars is fuckuin fun....I was playin that ? . @ best buy... Parappa the rappa is a ? goon believe it or not.....I see raiden and Dante being overpowered though