AYO you copping that Jil Sander $290 Vasari clutch?

Options
God-I_Am_Ether
God-I_Am_Ether Members Posts: 3,409
edited August 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
X2B19.png

QGOko.png

sCcuk.png
Brown-Bagging it just got a lot more expensive.

A top designer is hawking gussied up brown paper lunch bags for $290 a pop, and fashionistas are lining up to buy them.

The Jil Sander store in SoHo is already sold out of the Vasari sack, and you can’t buy it online either.

A black leather version retails for $630. W Magazine gushed that it’s “perfectly in sync with the fashion house’s minimalist roots. Forget recycling — this bag is a keeper.”

But style mavens on the street say that this bag is an accessory to a crime — grand theft.

“I’d rather give $300 in cash to a ? on the corner,” one commenter wrote on the fashion website The Fancy.

A skeptical reader of the digital design magazine Hype Beast sniped: “I could pay $3 for about 50 of these.”

And from a Glamour blog poster: “This gives new meaning to the term ‘? bag.’”

The blog Ecouterre had an online poll running: 42 people had voted the bag “not haute” to only three who were fans.

The Vasari, part of the fall men’s collection, is made of coated paper with stitched seams and metal vents and bears the Jil Sander logo.

Mildred Fabian, regional director of the design house, said both versions sold out fast — possibly because they are part of the last collection from Raf Simons, who had been creative director since 2005.

She said no one blinked at the price.

“You have to get a collector’s piece,” she said.

Does she think anyone is toting PB&J to the office in a bag that costs more than lunch at Le Cirque?

“I think it’s more of a fashion statement,” Fabian said.

At least one Web wag didn’t have a problem with the doggy bag. “If I save just a dollar a day carrying my lunch from home instead of grabbing take-out, I’ve more than justified the cost within one year,” he wrote on Gawker.

“Seems like a good deal.”

This is Dope. It's a collectors piece and a fashion statement. It's a nod to those who have come up in America and made themselves into a productive citizen.

This will be big for the ballers in the hood too. It's a new twist to that "Brown Paper bag under the mattress drug money"

Comments