Black Men in College: The misleading numbers because of African & Caribbean Students

Options
2nd chances
2nd chances Members Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's my baby mama #46565765

she ain't posted on here in a minute :(
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    She posted a month ago in the reason askin ? to vote for her to become the new hostess on 106 n park.
  • 2nd chances
    2nd chances Members Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol..

that would be funny her being on 106 and park. she introduces the new waka flocka video then goes into a tangent about black oversexualization and how its used to oppress us. Everyone just looking at her like "wtf?"
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    You should have seen her try out vid. Her tone of voice was on some i'd let webbie ? me on cam live.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She should also look at the population of black males students at distant learning or after work colleges. For- profit and others.

I graduated from St. Leo campus in the ATL and that whole school was majority black and ex-military. Mostly older people 25-50 but they took there school seriously. AT least the majority did.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eh it's an aight video, but it's lowkey divisive, and it offers no solutions or even gets the discourse going.

That said I do applaud her for taking an interest in these issues though.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shorty look like foghorn leghorn she got nice teeth tho
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Not that bright in this video
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    <<<<<< works at a university in TEXAS and sees plenty of american black males
    <<<<<< is an american black male college graduate from Louisiana who's graduating class included lots of american black males.
    <<<<<< is LIVING the life she's trying to REPORT on.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    ... I've seen freshmen powerpoint presentations better than this... from said black men...

• blackjack2012
    blackjack2012 Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's crazy how some black American don't like black foreigners
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And the biggest counter argument u'll hear is...."they aint like us first".
    ? is dumb....from both sides.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soooooo Africans ain't black?

News to me.
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i was kinda offended @ the african names she's throwing out there "mr ola from nigeria" like really? this is pretty divisive to me, and continues to perpetrate the idea that africans/west indians aren't "black" like african-americans in this country

so even if you're a 2nd generation african/west indian and grew up here all your life, you're still not one of the african-americas? goh. immigrants aren't coming here to study then going back home, i don't think i know one immigrant student who didn't get a job here and contribute to this country

and i am married to an african-american man, so there goes another one of her ill-thought out points. this is just more of that they are not like us ? i see on both sides. if only we could open our eyes and see that yeah, we are the same

i found this pretty offensive, what's dangerous miss is your divisiveness. she also said umm too much for my liking

Sorry, Kai but you're not *shrugs*

The same way how if I went over to Ethiopia or Nigeria, I wouldn't be one of yall & you'd be lying saying otherwise. I'd be another Akata from the states. Africans (not saying you exactly) like to straddle the fence. When it benefits yall, yall cool with being "Black" and when it doesn't, yall be quick to point fingers at "Blacks", saying we're all lazy, ignorant, ghetto, etc. So, I like putting yall.................> over there, that way its no misunderstanding between us. Being "Black in America" is more than having the right skin color. Its a shared experience. You take a black kid from LA, one from Detroit, one from Atlanta & one from Philly & put them in a room together, they all gonna have similar experiences & find common ground. Blacks from the Caribbean, South America & Africa living in the US. Not so much.

And I'm not just talking out of my ass here. My last two roommates from were Guyana & Jamaica. We liked different foods, different music, talked different, dressed different, completely different mentalities. No similarity whatsoever. Id stick out in Jamaica & them ? would stick out in Philly.

Sorry for the rant. But yall cats aint "Black".
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    i was kinda offended @ the african names she's throwing out there "mr ola from nigeria" like really? this is pretty divisive to me, and continues to perpetrate the idea that africans/west indians aren't "black" like african-americans in this country

so even if you're a 2nd generation african/west indian and grew up here all your life, you're still not one of the african-americas? goh. immigrants aren't coming here to study then going back home, i don't think i know one immigrant student who didn't get a job here and contribute to this country

and i am married to an african-american man, so there goes another one of her ill-thought out points. this is just more of that they are not like us ? i see on both sides. if only we could open our eyes and see that yeah, we are the same

i found this pretty offensive, what's dangerous miss is your divisiveness. she also said umm too much for my liking

The same way how if I went over to Ethiopia or Nigeria, I wouldn't be one of yall & you'd be lying saying otherwise. I'd be another Akata from the states. Africans (not saying you exactly) like to straddle the fence. When it benefits yall, yall cool with being "Black" and when it doesn't, yall be quick to point fingers at "Blacks", saying we're all lazy, ignorant, ghetto, etc. So, I like putting yall.................> over there, that way its no misunderstanding between us. Being "Black in America" is more than having the right skin color. Its a shared experience. You take a black kid from LA, one from Detroit, one from Atlanta & one from Philly & put them in a room together, they all gonna have similar experiences & find common ground. Blacks from the Caribbean, South America & Africa living in the US. Not so much.

And I'm not just talking out of my ass here. My last two roommates from were Guyana & Jamaica. We liked different foods, different music, talked different, dressed different, completely different mentalities. No similarity whatsoever. Id stick out in Jamaica & them ? would stick out in Philly.

What nonsense. Black does not mean african american i keep having to explain that to AFRICAN AMERICANS. Stop using the term black to exclusively refer to yourselves it makes no sense. about 5% of philly is caribbean and we don't stick out we look the same as you do. black from the carribbean, south america and america did share the same experience it's called slavery. America is a large place and the culture of the south is not like the culture of nyc or L.A so i don't know were you got that from. nawlins is nothing like nyc. BY THE WAY akata is not an east african term. if you never been over to ethiopia you don't know how they would treat you, you can't get mad if other blacks call you ignorant because you are. Most americans don't travel so most of you never experience other peoples culture first hand so you can't see the similarities. we however do experience yours so we can see the differences and the similarties.
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

What nonsense. Black does not mean african american i keep having to explain that to AFRICAN AMERICANS. Stop using the term black to exclusively refer to yourselves it makes no sense. about 5% of philly is caribbean and we don't stick out we look the same as you do. black from the carribbean, south america and america did share the same experience it's called slavery. America is a large place and the culture of the south is not like the culture of nyc or L.A so i don't know were you got that from. nawlins is nothing like nyc. BY THE WAY akata is not an east african term. if you never been over to ethiopia you don't know how they would treat you, you can't get mad if other blacks call you ignorant because you are. Most americans don't travel so most of you never experience other peoples culture first hand so you can't see the similarities. we however do experience yours so we can see the differences and the similarties.

Akata is a Nigerian term. That's why I said Nigeria. I know exactly what it means.

As far as everything else, you're obviously hurt by what I said. Oh well. Afrikans, West Indians & Afro-Latinos may look like us but, you're not us. Your community doesn't consider us to be one of you & I know this from experience. Don't catch emotions because the feelings are reciprocated.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wtf...... Blacks ain't black?!?

• zombie
    edited August 2012
    Options
  • zombie
    Options

Akata is a Nigerian term. That's why I said Nigeria. I know exactly what it means.

As far as everything else, you're obviously hurt by what I said. Oh well. Afrikans, West Indians & Afro-Latinos may look like us but, you're not us. Your community doesn't consider us to be one of you & I know this from experience. Don't catch emotions because the feelings are reciprocated.

I can't abide with nonsense no feeling are involved i just tell the truth and try to correct wrong when i see it. I am not catchings feelings this is how i am always. i answer all nonsense with the tone i answered you. THE WEST-INDIAN COMMUNITY CONSIDER AFRICAN AMERICAN TO BE LIKE OUR COUSINS. Your experience is just that yours and only yours. What part of the usa did you grow up in ?
  • SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *college dropout post*
  • zombie
    Options

Kai is not west african so why would bring akata up when addressing her.
  • Topps
    Topps Members Posts: 447
    Options
    gns wrote: »

And the biggest counter argument u'll hear is...."they aint like us first".
    ? is dumb....from both sides.

Breh, we already know you hate Black Americans. So your opinion on this cannot be took serious.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    HALF of Black male college students, are exchange students coming from outside the U.S.
    Although they are accounted for as blacks, they don't come from the 5% Of Black males from the UNITED STATES POPULATION

If you where to listening to her, with your ears and not your emotions. You would know, she is counter arguing some one ELSE. Who said that, black AMERICANS made 5% of the AMERICAN population. Yet at the same damn time, the percentage of Blacks in college are 5% .

She's saying that the 5% of Black males in college, is not telling the entire story. Since half of that 5% is from exchange students coming form outside of the U.S. Who are not U.S citizens, therefore do not account for, the 5% of Black AMERICAN males.

• shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you don't have to be a citizen to be accounted for. most of these african immigrants live in the us legally, and identify as black on the us cencus.
    it is true that many of the blacks at elite colleges are african immigrants, but she makes a lot of stupid points that weaken her whole argument. that whole marriage tangent she went on was baseless and irrelevant.