Black Men in College: The misleading numbers because of African & Caribbean Students

Options

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I looked at Q-Tip and he said, Black is black"...
    Marcus Garvey would frown on these shenanigans... *Born Jamerican with a Masters Degree Post*
  • 2nd chances
    2nd chances Members Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i was kinda offended @ the african names she's throwing out there "mr ola from nigeria" like really? this is pretty divisive to me, and continues to perpetrate the idea that africans/west indians aren't "black" like african-americans in this country

so even if you're a 2nd generation african/west indian and grew up here all your life, you're still not one of the african-americas? goh. immigrants aren't coming here to study then going back home, i don't think i know one immigrant student who didn't get a job here and contribute to this country

and i am married to an african-american man, so there goes another one of her ill-thought out points. this is just more of that they are not like us ? i see on both sides. if only we could open our eyes and see that yeah, we are the same

i found this pretty offensive, what's dangerous miss is your divisiveness. she also said umm too much for my liking

Sorry, Kai but you're not *shrugs*

The same way how if I went over to Ethiopia or Nigeria, I wouldn't be one of yall & you'd be lying saying otherwise. I'd be another Akata from the states. Africans (not saying you exactly) like to straddle the fence. When it benefits yall, yall cool with being "Black" and when it doesn't, yall be quick to point fingers at "Blacks", saying we're all lazy, ignorant, ghetto, etc. So, I like putting yall.................> over there, that way its no misunderstanding between us. Being "Black in America" is more than having the right skin color. Its a shared experience. You take a black kid from LA, one from Detroit, one from Atlanta & one from Philly & put them in a room together, they all gonna have similar experiences & find common ground. Blacks from the Caribbean, South America & Africa living in the US. Not so much.

And I'm not just talking out of my ass here. My last two roommates from were Guyana & Jamaica. We liked different foods, different music, talked different, dressed different, completely different mentalities. No similarity whatsoever. Id stick out in Jamaica & them ? would stick out in Philly.

Sorry for the rant. But yall cats aint "Black".

see my thing is though..why is it that african americans get to claim to be the authentic "black"..and the immigrant arent??

i dont get it..maybe the immigrants are the black ones and african americans are just dark whites??...why do black americans have to define who is black and who's not..what makes black americans so important to think that?...is it arrogance? ignorance? self importance? overestimation of self worth?

maybe "black" is the shared experience of black struggle outside of america...ie jamaicans, africans etc..and not the american struggle..thats not a possiblity?

and also you say that you take a kid from one part of united states..what about all the "african" kids..born to immigrant african parents here in the united states say trenton new jersey..wtf type of experience do they have thats going to be different than tyrone from compton?? these dudes are growing up in the same environment as tyrone..facing the same challenges as tyrone and navigating life the same way..i guess they arent black either because their mom and pops are nigerian or ghanian or whatever else huh?

the stupidity..life is not so black and white fam..lots of grey areas
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i was kinda offended @ the african names she's throwing out there "mr ola from nigeria" like really? this is pretty divisive to me, and continues to perpetrate the idea that africans/west indians aren't "black" like african-americans in this country

so even if you're a 2nd generation african/west indian and grew up here all your life, you're still not one of the african-americas? goh. immigrants aren't coming here to study then going back home, i don't think i know one immigrant student who didn't get a job here and contribute to this country

and i am married to an african-american man, so there goes another one of her ill-thought out points. this is just more of that they are not like us ? i see on both sides. if only we could open our eyes and see that yeah, we are the same

i found this pretty offensive, what's dangerous miss is your divisiveness. she also said umm too much for my liking

The same way how if I went over to Ethiopia or Nigeria, I wouldn't be one of yall & you'd be lying saying otherwise. I'd be another Akata from the states. Africans (not saying you exactly) like to straddle the fence. When it benefits yall, yall cool with being "Black" and when it doesn't, yall be quick to point fingers at "Blacks", saying we're all lazy, ignorant, ghetto, etc. So, I like putting yall.................> over there, that way its no misunderstanding between us. Being "Black in America" is more than having the right skin color. Its a shared experience. You take a black kid from LA, one from Detroit, one from Atlanta & one from Philly & put them in a room together, they all gonna have similar experiences & find common ground. Blacks from the Caribbean, South America & Africa living in the US. Not so much.

And I'm not just talking out of my ass here. My last two roommates from were Guyana & Jamaica. We liked different foods, different music, talked different, dressed different, completely different mentalities. No similarity whatsoever. Id stick out in Jamaica & them ? would stick out in Philly.

see my thing is though..why is it that african americans get to claim to be the authentic "black"..and the immigrant arent??
    i dont get it..maybe the immigrants are the black ones and african americans are just dark whites??...why do black americans have to define who is black and who's not..what makes black americans so important to think that?...is it arrogance? ignorance? self importance? overestimation of self worth?

maybe "black" is the shared experience of black struggle outside of america...ie jamaicans, africans etc..and not the american struggle..thats not a possiblity?

and also you say that you take a kid from one part of united states..what about all the "african" kids..born to immigrant african parents here in the united states say trenton new jersey..wtf type of experience do they have thats going to be different than tyrone from compton?? these dudes are growing up in the same environment as tyrone..facing the same challenges as tyrone and navigating life the same way..i guess they arent black either because their mom and pops are nigerian or ghanian or whatever else huh?

Alot of african americans feel they're the true blacks because they actually come from america.

Their entire family and roots is american.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    black is a term coined to refer to afro-Americans if i recall correctly.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »

Alot of african americans feel they're the true blacks because they actually come from america.

The video is not a black american vs. black foreigner thing.

She's discussing an article she read, and disagreed with .
    In the article it stated that; they'res an overall 5% population, of black male citizens in the United States.
    Then it stated that, they'res a 5% population of black males in college.
    Then based off statistics, the editor made a conclusion that a good portion of the black male United States Citizen are attending college .

she's saying that it's misleading, due to Caribbean and African students who are not accounted for in the Black Male U.S Citizen population of 5%.
    But make up half of the overall 5% percent of black males in college. therefore most black american males united states citizen are not in college.

Alot of african americans feel they're the true blacks because they actually come from america
    this made me laugh they'res only 2 type of blacks, blacks from Africa or blacks from Australia.
  • Topps
    Topps Members Posts: 447
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »

Bingo

The term was created to identify African American decedents from slaves in the USA for the Census demographic stats. Before then, that term was never used to identify a group of people in any other country but the USA.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

You mean they weren't American, not black...Black is more than just what you see in Philly, LA, Detroit etc.
  • blackjack2012
    blackjack2012 Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I thought ? was the term coined to refer to afro-American
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wtf is a "true" black? LOL

we talking nationality or race?
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel good we are the top of the line field animal
  • 2nd chances
    Options
    Topps wrote: »

Bingo

The term was created to identify African American decedents from slaves in the USA for the Census demographic stats. Before then, that term was never used to identify a group of people in any other country but the USA.

smdh at this nonsense..

you do realize the irish in english census forms where identified as blacks waaaaaaaaaay befere afro amricans huh?

i mean what do you suppose the slave traders that saw africans or the arabs that first met africans called them before they even started slave trading?

guess they called them whites ?..fuckk outta here..black must've started wit the africans(when it comes to vs black american comparisons)..i mean how could it not?
  • blackgod813
    Options
    The American slave traders said we are the true blacks u ? comie ....what they say is truth we are Americans Africans we are the chosen we picked the cotton the title is ours ...
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The American slave traders said we are the true blacks u ? comie ....what they say is truth we are Americans Africans we are the chosen we picked the cotton the title is ours ...

wat

• LUClEN
    Options
    When the hell were the Irish identified as blacks????
  • blackgod813
    Options
    Idk but what I do know is that African American descendants akt different from the immigrants ...AA. people are the founding father's of this ?
  • 2nd chances
    Options
    i forgot where i found the link..i've searched and cant find it..but its based on the struggle between the irish and european whites

a way to differentiate the two the whites ie european whites where told to mark white in census forms and the irish where 'african/.black".

infact the irish where considered legitimately african and the cartoons and accepted scientific anatomical classification defined them as such..

if i can find it ill post it
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk but what I do know is that African American descendants akt different from the immigrants ...AA. people are the founding father's of this ?

Is that a joke ?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No matter the place we are born, all black people are mostly african genetically ,that make US black nothing else. African american are nothing more than just one of the hundreds of different black ethic groups. Black is really just a color spectrum.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

It's well known that anybody that wasn't Protestant and/or white was seen as a 2nd or 3rd class citizen in America
  • blackgod813
    Options
    They weren't in chattel slavery kus I looked up the word chattel slavery an Africa Americans where in chattel slavery ?
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Topps wrote: »
    gns wrote: »
    It's crazy how some black American don't like black foreigners

And the biggest counter argument u'll hear is...."they aint like us first".
    ? is dumb....from both sides.

Breh, we already know you hate Black Americans. So your opinion on this cannot be took serious.

I dont hate black Americans, they are my brothers...i loathe ignorance though, u ? troll.

Speaking of which this thread is full of it.

Can someone tell me at which point in a black kids life, growing up in the U.S are yall taught that u r the only black people in the world and the term is exclusive to African Americans?
  • blackgod813
    Options
    History class February the cenus history tellsu that very clear
  • blackgod813
    Options
    Clearly ...my bad was texting talking to a mulatto
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Few weeks ago coming back from a rave this old hobo on the subway called himself an irish ? and said ? bein politically correct. That joke makes more sense now.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @blackgod813 stop trolling

and lol at some of the people in here claiming that only American Blacks are black