ETHER? Science Suggests That Organic Food Is Largely a Sham

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in The Social Lounge
By: Cord Jefferson

Tired of hearing your hippie friends cluck their tongues at you for eating "unhealthy" regular produce instead of the pricier organic stuff they buy? I'm a super-strict vegetarian who lives in California, and those people even get on my nerves. From now on, send anyone who chastises your non-organic ways to these two new studies that say organic food may not be so wonderful, despite the fact that it's oftentimes more expensive and revered by the Bikram set.

USA Today reported on the first study, which was created by culling data from hundreds of other smaller studies performed over the past 50 years. The main takeaway, said Dena Bravata, an author of the paper and a doctor at Stanford's Center for Health Policy, is that "there isn't much difference between organic and conventional foods, if you're an adult and making a decision based solely on your health":
•There were no significant differences in the vitamin content of organic and conventional fruits and vegetables. The studies looked specifically at vitamins A, C and E.
•Detectable pesticide residue was found in 7% of organic produce and 38% of conventional produce. However, only three studies found pesticide residue that exceeded maximum allowed limits in the European Union on organic or conventional produce. As to how pesticides could be in organic product that must be grown without them by law, Smith-Spangler said it could either be long-lasting, now-banned pesticides in the soil or drift from nearby fields.
•Both organic and conventional foods were at similar risk for bacterial contamination.

Despite the fact that organic produce doesn't appear to be significantly healthier, a Nielsen survey from 2010 found that 76 percent of people who buy it said they do so because it's healthier. And 51 percent of people said they believed organic produce was more nutritious.

But say you're eating organic for the health of the environment, not for your own health. Well, according to another new study, this one out of the University of Oxford, organic farming may also not be all that it's cracked up to be when it comes to environmental benefits:
The researchers analysed data from 71 studies published in peer-reviewed journals that compared organic and conventional farms in Europe.

This literature revealed that whilst organic farming almost always supports more biodiversity and generally has a positive wider environmental impact per unit of land, it does not necessarily have a positive impact per unit of production.

Organic milk, cereals, and pork all generated higher greenhouse gas emissions per unit of product than their conventionally farmed counterparts – although organic beef and olives had lower emissions in most cases. In general organic products required less energy input, but more land than the same quantity of conventional products.

Science: Making Whole Foods acolytes less smug since before Whole Foods even existed.

Comments

• scarfacetf
    scarfacetf Members Posts: 59
    Options
    Personally, I find it hard to believe that eating gmo and pesticide foods could be good for you. If pesticides ? pest using poison, and herbicides ? plants which are also poison, what are they doing to you? Just because there made not to ? you, as a human, means your not being harmed? what about all the studies that have suggested that pesticides in our food supply have been linked to disease in growing children, or large increases in estrogen production on both male and females?

Personally, I'm more of a fan of organic meat than produce. But I'm Just throwing in my two cents
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • scarfacetf
    Options
    biggest downfall of Organic meats will be the arsenic content...

as opposed to antibiotics and hormones? You do realize that the overuse of antibiotics in our food supply is a huge reason why we have super bugs right? There's already forms of completely drug resistant tb out there. Do you understand how scary that is? Us as humans are on the verge of antibiotics being completely useless. There's already drug resistant strains of sexually diseases beginning to crop up, were going get to the point that we can no longer treat chylmadia anymore. There's also evidence of hormone laced farm animals having a impact on young girls going through puberty to soon, and young boys being subjected to large amounts of estrogen and less testosterone levels. Btw i haven't heard of much of a link between organic meat and arsenic. I've heard of arsenic being found in juices, and organic sweeteners using brown rice but that's all I've seen. But I'm interested in seeing some info

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited September 2012
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL

Whoever thought organic foods had more vitamins and nutrients are ? . Organic is good because it doesn't ? with pesticides, medicines and all that other ? . Cows now feasting on gummy worms, that's what McDonalds cooks up now.

So it's not a sham, people are just dumb as ? .
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I was actually going to start eating these. I think I'll just spend my money on vitamins than, like I always have....
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i pretty much already knew this
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    scarfacetf wrote: »
    Personally, I find it hard to believe that eating gmo and pesticide foods could be good for you. If pesticides ? pest using poison, and herbicides ? plants which are also poison, what are they doing to you? Just because there made not to ? you, as a human, means your not being harmed? what about all the studies that have suggested that pesticides in our food supply have been linked to disease in growing children, or large increases in estrogen production on both male and females?

Personally, I'm more of a fan of organic meat than produce. But I'm Just throwing in my two cents

its not that its good for you, it just aint necessarily worse like the "organic" crowd likes to make it seem. just ? thoroughly rinse off your meats, fruits and vegetables before cooking/consuming and you will be straight.

but by all means keep spending/wasting the extra money if you want, just like them ? buying bottled tap water, because the "government puts flouride" conspiracy theory.

• scarfacetf
    Options

its not that its good for you, it just aint necessarily worse like the "organic" crowd likes to make it seem. just ? thoroughly rinse off your meats, fruits and vegetables before cooking/consuming and you will be straight.

but by all means keep spending/wasting the extra money if you want, just like them ? buying bottled tap water, because the "government puts flouride" conspiracy theory.

pesticides

You do know that quite a bit of those pesticides cannot be washed off right? One of those fruits is cherries. Unless it has a thick outer shell such as citrus fruits, allot of that stuff doesn't wash off. I personally dont eat a ton of organic produce , only those deemed ? near unsafe if not organic. But to be honest would you really want your kids or your pregnant wife eating pesticides? Especially since they've found links to increased estrogen in the ? affecting the sex of a baby?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even ignoring the health issues, most GMO food tastes like ? .
  • scarfacetf
    Options
    Btw there's a few studies out there that suggest gmo produce isnt good for you. One study done on rats has some fed specially gmo corn compared to rats fed non gmo corn. The gmo corn rats had significant differences in liver and kidney function compared to the non gmo. And that's only one study, there are a ton of others.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a poorly done study....look at the controls...propaganda at its finest
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont eat that organic ? no way..
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    biggest downfall of Organic meats will be the arsenic content...

as opposed to antibiotics and hormones? You do realize that the overuse of antibiotics in our food supply is a huge reason why we have super bugs right? There's already forms of completely drug resistant tb out there. Do you understand how scary that is? Us as humans are on the verge of antibiotics being completely useless. There's already drug resistant strains of sexually diseases beginning to crop up, were going get to the point that we can no longer treat chylmadia anymore. There's also evidence of hormone laced farm animals having a impact on young girls going through puberty to soon, and young boys being subjected to large amounts of estrogen and less testosterone levels. Btw i haven't heard of much of a link between organic meat and arsenic. I've heard of arsenic being found in juices, and organic sweeteners using brown rice but that's all I've seen. But I'm interested in seeing some info

Chlamydia trachomatis isn't the scare so much as Neisseria gonorrhoeae. The most common treatment given for Chlamydia trachomatis is doxycycline, but azithromycin is much more potent. You only have to take that for one or two days. The problem is that doxycycline is cheap and thus usually given first (not such a huge problem), and also given to people who cannot afford azithromycin (it's much more expensive). Gonorrhoeae on the other hand, has strains that are becoming resistant to just about everything we throw at it.

The bigger problem w.r.t. superbugs is that people don't take their antibiotics or antivirals to completion, just until symptoms are gone. The problem with this is that enough bugs or virii remain that are not symptomatic, but still pathologic and transmittable. So instead of killing off everything you can in your body, you just allow enough to remain to become mutated sufficiently until it's resistant to our antibiotics or antivirals, and then transmit through populations until we have to create another drug that's stronger, has stronger side-effects, and more likely to cause toxic effects. Then people ? about the side effects.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard the only basis of the labeling of organic foods comes from the amount of carbon in it - and thus many companies can get away with calling a product organic despite the fact that they may use herbicides or pesticides.

• VIBE
    Options
    So not only do non-organic foods have all these chemicals, antibiotics and additives, they're also sprayed/injected with stuff to make them last longer and waxed to look more "shiny". Fruits and veggies all look perfect and shiny as ? , they're sprayed with a thin wax for an appealing look. That doesn't wash off easily either. There's also the giant foods you shouldn't buy; the bigger than normal they are, usual means they're GM to be larger than normal.
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its all game. How can it be more expensive if it takes less chemicals and preservitives to manufacture or grow it.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    INB4 this study was funded by Monsanto.
  • VIBE
    Options
    plocc wrote: »
    Its all game. How can it be more expensive if it takes less chemicals and preservitives to manufacture or grow it.

Not as in demand.

More people feel more safe eating something that's been treated.
  • scarfacetf
    Options
    plocc wrote: »
    Because the farmers who grow organic food lose more crops because they can't use pesticides, or weed killers. non gmo produce is also generally smaller. They have to sell higher to make a profit.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That study is BS. Organic food is better considering the individual fruit. Like someone already explained if you spraying shiton there to ? a pest WTF will it do to me.
  • scarfacetf
    Options
    quote="Amotekun;4850251"]INB4 this study was funded by Monsanto. [/quote]

Seriously, I've been seeing that allot lately. People downplaying organic, i wonder who funds these scientific studies. Probably the same people telling you that milk is healthy, its not btw

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing that you have to consider when reading these studies is that about 99 percent of scientists (specifically researchers) work for governments or large corporations.

That's not to say that the results can always be dismissed - it's just that if the results don't agree with the agenda of whoever funded the study it would either never be published or there would be omissions.

Common sense should be able to give us a reasonable idea of the effect of genetically modifying the food we eat for various reasons including making it resistant to pesticides and herbicides that are more toxic than ddt and agent orange.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Busted! Co-author of Stanford study that bashed organics found to have deep ties to Big Tobacco's anti-science propaganda

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/037108_Stanford_Ingram_Olkin_Big_Tobacco.html#ixzz25lklPbmh