F*ck the IRS!!

Options

Comments

• Ms.Scorp
    Ms.Scorp Members Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is it that they didn't have your new address though? Wouldn't you have updated it when you filed taxes in 2008 (or 2009)?

I have no idea, my Husband files our taxes joint so I don't know why it wasn't updated. :-??
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »
    hold up ma. YOu owe 30k to the gubment?
    Come over here and marry a ? .
    You gotta have paper to owe 30k lol

You want a wife in debt to the Govt. That turns you on baby? ;))
  • ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

damn girl...I didnt know it was 30,000 .... i thought that ? was like 3,000 ...WOW...
    what type of ? did u file on your taxes?
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    ATTS wrote: »
    Ms.Scorp wrote: »
    but it's like I don't have time to investigate because I can't let the ? ruin my credit by delaying any further.

Which they will most definitely do if they haven't already

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc201.html
    The Notice of Federal Tax Lien publicly notifies your creditors that the IRS has a claim against all your property, including property acquired by you after the Notice of Federal Tax Lien is filed . The filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien may appear on your credit report and may harm your credit rating. Once a lien arises, the IRS generally cannot release the lien until the taxes, penalties, interest, and recording fees are paid in full or until the IRS may no longer legally collect the tax.

reading their ? brought back some memories.......pay that ? off now in FULL ......check your credit report.....the lein is inside on your credit by now since you werent able to respond to their initial letters..... I am NOT sure how to remove a lein from your credit though

Yeah it would have to be...if they resorted to freezing the accounts that means multiple efforts had been made via letter and probably by telephone as well.

As for removing it they remove it when it is paid but I'm not sure if you would get the full score back

smartcredit.com/blog/2011/02/25/paid-irs-tax-liens-to-be-removed-from-credit-files/

? ....this is what happens when you leave your financial ? in someone else's hands.

Never again. I will be ensuring my taxes are done correctly from now on.....smh
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    They should've had our updated address, I still don't understand that. and if they contacted by phone they would've had to contact my Husband because I'm overseas....
  • ATTS
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    If you pay the whole thing those fees should be waived.

i doubt that.....they gonna say she didnt respond to their initial letters..... its within the law
    They did not refund the late penalty charge to my account in 2005 taxes and I paid off that ? the minute I got the notice......

But my dispute was that they sent it to that address in Killeen. I haven't lived there since I started contracting so I got absolutely NONE of these notices. I could've easily paid this off if I had known about it. :(

yeah....its something you can WIN based on those grounds if you explain your situation well
    theres also something called "OIC Offer in Compromise) like lets say you owe 30,000....you can offer to pay 25000 if they accept.....not sure how long it takes though

how much is the late penalty charge on your account? does it even matter @ this point?
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I been wondering this myself. If my business plans go according to plan, and me and my girl get married that would put our combined income over 120k. Should that happen should we still file seperately?
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options

i doubt that.....they gonna say she didnt respond to their initial letters..... its within the law
    They did not refund the late penalty charge to my account in 2005 taxes and I paid off that ? the minute I got the notice......

But my dispute was that they sent it to that address in Killeen. I haven't lived there since I started contracting so I got absolutely NONE of these notices. I could've easily paid this off if I had known about it. :(

yeah....its something you can WIN based on those grounds if you explain your situation well
    theres also something called "OIC Offer in Compromise) like lets say you owe 30,000....you can offer to pay 25000 if they accept.....not sure how long it takes though

how much is the late penalty charge on your account? does it even matter @ this point?

The total penalty was around 2k I guess. I'm going to try to argue the fact that they sent it to an adress I haven't lived at since 08. My husband filed our taxes so they had to have a recent address.

but if it comes down to me paying all of then I just have to bite the bullet.
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options

damn girl...I didnt know it was 30,000 .... i thought that ? was like 3,000 ...WOW...

They taxed my income without applying the overseas exemption.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You need to have a talk with the husband.
    This little detail gonna ? alot of ? up
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when u owe the IRS money...they come for ur bank accounts, properties, first born, ur blood, ur jugular

when the IRS owes you...you'll get it in a few months
  • Ms.Scorp
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Yeah I been wondering this myself. If my business plans go according to plan, and me and my girl get married that would put our combined income over 120k. Should that happen should we still file seperately?

Yes, I would advise it because once your combined income hits that 150k mark it's a whole nother ball game...lol
    On a more important note........

If you and your dude don't ever work out. I will swoop down and save your ass at any beckon call.

:x

If you can do my taxes correctly I might consider that....lmao
  • ATTS
    edited September 2012
    Options

so if they apply the overseas exemption...you wouldnt owe up to 30,000?
    if you had gotten their initial letters...you could have fought that with a lawyers help......
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    You need to have a talk with the husband.
    This little detail gonna ? alot of ? up

It's already done....can't go back and change it now.
  • Ms.Scorp
    edited September 2012
    Options

Yep...they don't have to waive ? but it is possible that they can and in some cases they do. Since they had to resort to locking of the account though I'm not sure how lenient they'll be.

If she has a valid reason to why she didn't respond then she should be able to get the fees waived. It is to their discretion still but all in all they want their money.

What case could she possibly make? She hasn't been at that address for over 4 years now...she has presumably filed her taxes 4 times since the move...how would they not have the address change in that period of time? That'd have to be a serious error by the IRS for them to not update it 4 years straight.

Well if you look at the final levy notice you will see the address they sent it to was in Killeen, TX.

So it must have been their error. The only reason I got this is because my Bank sent it to my actual address in GA to notify me the funds would be frozen....so I honestly don't know. I have no idea what happened
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    BossBoo wrote: »
    a.mann u wish u could drop 20 racks like its nothin huh!!?

not to mention then shoes socks and all that is gettin itemized.. u mad??

? so do I!! we ain't livin that life Man...must be nice...lmao

? be frontin cuz realistically speaking, where in America can a person walk in a legitimate establishment with 20,000 in cash and not have the laws question exactly how you acquired such "racks"?

and even if you got it like that and you don't have a line of credit ,9 times out of 10 the ? you get wont be in your name

smh
    driving to the dealership with ya grandma to have her sign title papers.......

• Ms.Scorp
    edited September 2012
    Options

so if they apply the overseas exemption...you wouldnt owe up to 30,000?

if you had gotten their initial letters...you could have fought that with a lawyers help......

Exactly, when he did my taxes for those years he didn't apply the exemption, so they taxed my income at the normal rate which totaled to that amount because I brought in over 120k in 09.

The only reason it was only 6k in 08 is because thats the year I started contracting so I didn't make as much.

It's a simple error that will cost us a lot of money
  • Ms.Scorp
    edited October 2012
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    BossBoo wrote: »
    a.mann u wish u could drop 20 racks like its nothin huh!!?

not to mention then shoes socks and all that is gettin itemized.. u mad??

? so do I!! we ain't livin that life Man...must be nice...lmao

? be frontin cuz realistically speaking, where in America can a person walk in a legitimate establishment with 20,000 in cash and not have the laws question exactly how you acquired such "racks"?

and even if you got like that and you don't have a line of credit ,9times out of 10 the ? you get wont be in your name

smh
    driving to the dealership with ya grandma to have her sign title papers.......

Absolutely, when I first started stacking overseas paper my bank froze my funds because of the large amounts of money going into my accounts....I don't see how people get away with that ? , but it's whatever.

8-|
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    For anyone who makes over 70k single and 150k combined you need to get yourself an accountant. You can save yourself a lot of money in taxes.

This...no idea why you'd attempt to do your own taxes if you are making this amount of money...hell it's only a $75 charge at my bank to have them do your taxes if you make over 50k and free if you make under. Well worth it.

My Husband felt he should do them, obviously that was a bad idea. I will be using other methods from now on.
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    For anyone who makes over 70k single and 150k combined you need to get yourself an accountant. You can save yourself a lot of money in taxes.

If you do get an accountant get one who knows what they are doing. Call the BBB to see if any claims have been filed against them. Ask a 100 questions then after those are answered ask a 100 more till you're satisfied.

Sometimes Men have that "I'll do it myself so it's done right" attitude and I didn't want to seem like I didn't have faith in him or to hurt his ego so....it is what it is......lol

Never again though, that's a guarantee.

• J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate to only tell you about the negative stuff but I've always dealt in a business of making sure your not to blame in case something goes wrong.....

Either way the address thing yo their going to say it was your responsibility to make sure it was updated not thiers in that respect it's your husbands fault yo since he does your taxes.

Filing seperate...my parents been married for 40 years and have never filed jointly yo. 1 would claim the kids the other mortgage so one way or another they both got returns every year.
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    Crazy how you can lose what some people make in an entire year because of one error...these ? taxes are no joke..
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    I hate to only tell you about the negative stuff but I've always dealt in a business of making sure your not to blame in case something goes wrong.....

Either way the address thing yo their going to say it was your responsibility to make sure it was updated not thiers in that respect it's your husbands fault yo since he does your taxes.

Filing seperate...my parents been married for 40 years and have never filed jointly yo. 1 would claim the kids the other mortgage so one way or another they both got returns every year.

Yes, it all comes down to it being his error. I know I can't really dispute it...that money is gone.

We're going to start filing separate though because our combined income is getting us hit hard. We should've been doing that all along.

• Ms.Scorp
    Options
    Kimi do you have IRA and a money market acct?

Look into those if you don't also those posters with kids look into getting as much Life Ins you can on yourself. Reason being if something was to happen to you your seeds and can have the money and IF you taught them right they can build their generalization wealth.

I heard a Billionaire at a seminar tell us that you don't have to be rich to think rich. Been following that ever since lol

Yes to both, I definitely learned a lot on the investment tip.

I've done well in that regard. Also from what I read, they can't go into those accounts and take money you store away for retirement. It's definitely a good thing to do.
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    @A.Mann- did you have an accountant when you were over here? If so, who did you go through to get them?