Get Rich Or Die Trying is still the best rap album of the 21st century

Options
13»

Comments

• ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    Blueprint not close and is highly debatable as a 'classic'. College Dropout is a true classic as well as Get Rich, the one you like best will be determined by your inclinations. Im not soft or ? so GRODT>>>>CollegeDropout. I havent heard a better rap album since either of them tho.

Oh, you're a G-Unit Soldier, aren't?

GRODT is top 5 album of the last decade, and that's what I'm only giving it.

• nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i mean, how was 50 innovating with that album?
    what did he bring to the table as far as creativity?
    his lyrics were average.

• DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    Blueprint not close and is highly debatable as a 'classic'. College Dropout is a true classic as well as Get Rich, the one you like best will be determined by your inclinations. Im not soft or ? so GRODT>>>>CollegeDropout. I havent heard a better rap album since either of them tho.

How is BP not close? BP's production >> GRODT's production. And Girls, Girls, Girls and Breathe Easy are better than any song from GRODT imo.

Lol @ the bolded.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not the best, but its still a classic imo
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmaoooo@ this thread.
  • Zigefresh
    Zigefresh Members Posts: 233 ✭✭
    Options
    lmaoooo@ this thread.

That's exactly how I felt when I saw this. First off, it's only been 12 years since the new millennium started so its a little early to be declaring an album the best already.

Second, 50 of all people having the best? Come on, that was primarily for the hype and production that carried him to success. How many people can recite an entire lyrics besides the hook from and of his songs from GRODT? Not many because none of his stuff is memorable.

Now I'm not gonna deny that it was definitely a worthy album to bump to when it dropped. Lets not act like he has memorable verses that we still remember into today.

• CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    GRODT was a monster. But it's not the best Rap album of the 21st century.

01.jpg
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    game changer and huge impact at the time... no replay value i havent listened to tha album since 04
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at GROT being the best album of the decade....its not even top 10.
    Be
    Stillmatic
    Blueprint
    FNL
    College Drop Out
    B. Coming
    Below the heavens
    MMLP
    Fish Scale
    Documentary

Didn't even have to repeat a single artist...even though we know Nas, Jay and Ye have a few albums that are better
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pervis wrote: »
    9 years later and this ? still bangs harder than anything else your favorite mc has released. no matter how much you might hate him, noone can deny this album caused pandemonium when it came out. im sitting here tryna think of one album since 2000 that is at least on equal footing with GRODT, and I can't think of one. It was that good. it had everything. countless classic songs, replay value, dope production, and a huge impact. i'm glad we all agree that this was hip hop's last true classic album

50Cent_Get_Rich_Or_Die_Tryin_cover_back.jpg

? yourself today not tomorrow!

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zigefresh wrote: »
    lmaoooo@ this thread.

That's exactly how I felt when I saw this. First off, it's only been 12 years since the new millennium started so its a little early to be declaring an album the best already.

Second, 50 of all people having the best? Come on, that was primarily for the hype and production that carried him to success. How many people can recite an entire lyrics besides the hook from and of his songs from GRODT? Not many because none of his stuff is memorable.

Now I'm not gonna deny that it was definitely a worthy album to bump to when it dropped. Lets not act like he has memorable verses that we still remember into today.
    All my friends were non rap fans with the exception of 1.
    And almost all of them and a bunch of other people I know could recite to you nearly word for word more than 1 track off that album.
    That stuff was very memorable.

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    El Payaso wrote: »
    Zigefresh wrote: »
    lmaoooo@ this thread.

All my friends were non rap fans with the exception of 1.
    And almost all of them and a bunch of other people I know could recite to you nearly word for word more than 1 track off that album.
    That stuff was very memorable.

im guessing they're white
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's an enjoyable album, there are others that should be up there too, IMO:

Little_Brother_-_The_Listening.jpg

51cYJ-p9-kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Canibus_-_Rip_the_Jacker.jpg

Dilladonutscover.jpg

00-elzhi-the_preface-2008-coverart.jpg

BM_Popular_Demand.jpg

Talib_Kweli_Quality.jpg

• mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The album is a classic.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never got the 50 Cent hype...In school when everyone was goin' mad...I proper didn't think it was good...bangin' beats...catchy hooks...average as ? lyrics...

• CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    buncha albums came out this and last year that ? all over it
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buncha albums came out this and last year that ? all over it

Let u tell it lol
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    There aren't many (if any) albums that can match it for hype...but in terms of quality? no way
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There aren't many (if any) albums that can match it for hype...but in terms of quality? no way

thats your opinion to me and alot of other people its a classic. i agree with the hype but the impact it had also on hiphop. every song couldve been a single just cuz of the popularity and play they had. even the hard songs were being played on the radio. Many Men, HIgh all the time, and what up gangsta. i didnt like ? until iheard the remix with banks and buck. i used to get hype to see if they would play the video with buck and banks.
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nobody is ever gonna agree on an album being classic. And the replay value thing is way too subjective. It just depends on the person.

What we do know is that for the most part people thought it was good to great it sold a ? load of records and had big successful singles and it started a G-unit era.