As a christian, is there a such thing as putting too much emphasis on christ?

Options

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    once again, your example is including ? .. Im talkin just straight jesus the son, no mention of the father.

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to ? and the Father by him."

Practice the message of jesus(the way," his name sake"), but give all thanks to ? .
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    and that's where you ? up.

I'm not a Muslim in any way, shape or form.

I simply state historic fact. You have no facts to back you up and, like a typical Christian, when they're presented to you (everything I said can be researched and verified), all you do is say "well... I believe..."

That's nice... You believe... How about believing the TRUTH.

Truth: Yeshua(PBUH) was a Jew. He lived his life as a Jew, he prayed as a Jew, he died a Jew.
    Truth: Christians ignore this fact about Yeshua(PBUH) and concoct every excuse under the sun to NOT follow his teachings unless it happens to fit their lifestyle.
    Truth: The vast majority of the New Testament was written by a man that had a vested interest in the destruction of the Christian church. Yet you follow this man's teachings even though they completely usurp the teachings of Yeshua(PBUH) given to us while he was alive.

The Jew, Muslim, and Baha'i know of the corruption of the Christian Bible and try to persuade the Christian to follow that which has not been corrupted my man's hand. The Christian refuses and continues to place himself further from ? 's grace.
    I apologize for saying you were a muslim. I assumed you were because you used the term (PBUH) which is what I always hear muslims use. But in regards to what you said, your grossly misinformed. The author of confusion, Satan, has made you doubt Gods word. I see right through it my friend. And my prayer is that the chains of darkness, which satan has blinded you by, will be lifted so that the glorious light of the gospel of truth can shine bright in your life. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

"But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the ? of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of ? , should shine unto them."
    2 Corinthians 4:3-4
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ^^^ Sees it.

The dude didnt even know Yeshua. Pauls meeting with Yeshua on the road to Damascus = the barber Clarence from Coming to Americas encounter with MLK Jr. They need more people...Im not buying it. Thats why Ya'acov (James in the Bible) laid him out in that letter(epistle). Whats even more jacked up is the canonical gospels were written after what Paul wrote. They jumbled the chronology of the NT on purpose.
  • bigbabyjebus
    bigbabyjebus Members Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Damn what i don't get is why Christians can't just see the obvious. They use a bible that has impure translation... the believe in doctrines that CHristians of the 1st century did not believe.
    The Trinity doctrine is total blasphemy as well yet it is accepted by people who refuse to look at history.

Now one dude made fun of the Jehobah Witnesses yet the seem of all christians to atleast be the closest in their understanding of the Old and New testament.

THis one guy is crazy though, like he is some type of brainwashed soldier
  • bigbabyjebus
    bigbabyjebus Members Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I would however like for one of you to explain how Paul usurped the teachings of the Christ.
  • killa_muhfucka
    killa_muhfucka Members Posts: 5
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I wish we could merge this thread with the other one... but is there anyone else here who has an understanding of Greek? If so, please let me know your take on John 1:1.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I apologize for saying you were a muslim. I assumed you were because you used the term (PBUH) which is what I always hear muslims use. But in regards to what you said, your grossly misinformed. The author of confusion, Satan, has made you doubt Gods word. I see right through it my friend. And my prayer is that the chains of darkness, which satan has blinded you by, will be lifted so that the glorious light of the gospel of truth can shine bright in your life. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

"But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the ? of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of ? , should shine unto them."
    2 Corinthians 4:3-4

and, as I said earlier... When you say "In Jesus' name", you're not calling out to anyone... so why do you continue this?
  • killa_muhfucka
    killa_muhfucka Members Posts: 5
    edited July 2010
    Options
    and, as I said earlier... When you say "In Jesus' name", you're not calling out to anyone... so why do you continue this?

THis dude is extremely unbalanced.. the type that would join a fringe group. We have been through this whole discussion for 20 pages in another thread.

The Trinity is a false doctrine
    Jesus is not ? or part of a triune ?
    THere is no eternal burning hell.

ALl these points have been thoroughly explained from the scriptures... he won't accept it.

Is a little research to much to ask, the bible praises the Bereans because they "search through scriptures to see if these things were true". This cat and nearly every other so-called Christian I run into is the same way.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I really domn't think "Jesus" is ? . The scripture DoU posted where he said those who have seen me have seen the father was not literal. he was referring to the fact that him doing the will of the father figuratively gave a picture of whop the father is. Not literally.

Even from is OWN mouth in Luke 18: 19, "Jesus" says:

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none [is] good, save one, [that is], ? ."

Now how could he be ? , then say something like this?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I would however like for one of you to explain how Paul usurped the teachings of the Christ.
    You even thinking this tells me that your knowledge of the word of ? is very limited.

"Study to shew thyself approved unto ? , a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    2 Timothy 2:15
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Because there is one mediator between the Father and man, the Lord Jesus Christ.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    THis dude is extremely unbalanced.. the type that would join a fringe group. We have been through this whole discussion for 20 pages in another thread.

The Trinity is a false doctrine
    Jesus is not ? or part of a triune ?
    THere is no eternal burning hell.'

ALl these points have been thoroughly explained from the scriptures... he won't accept it.

Is a little research to much to ask, the bible praises the Bereans because they "search through scriptures to see if these things were true". This cat and nearly every other so-called Christian I run into is the same way.

Your not a christian if you willingly and knowingly deny those 3 truths. Those are elementary truths that even babes in Christ understand. Anybody who claims that Jesus Christ is not ? in the flesh is Antichrist. I didn't say it. ? said it.

"For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist."
    2 John 1:7
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    vboy513 wrote: »
    I really domn't think "Jesus" is ? . The scripture DoU posted where he said those who have seen me have seen the father was not literal. he was referring to the fact that him doing the will of the father figuratively gave a picture of whop the father is. Not literally.

Even from is OWN mouth in Luke 18: 19, "Jesus" says:

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none [is] good, save one, [that is], ? ."

Now how could he be ? , then say something like this?

I am going to make a thread that will show clearly that Jesus Christ claimed to be ? over and over and over and over again in the word of ? . Please comment in there.
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    come on reggie bush lil brother...

Jesus is not ? , and u know it...
    Im not saying that jesus should be emphasised, but people (and you) actually think ? and jesus is the same and they're not...

Jesus even calls ? his father and jesus doesnt even know when the world will end, but his father does.

ok............so how do u explain him sayin that him and the Father is One
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Because there is one mediator between the Father and man, the Lord Jesus Christ.

but his name was not Jesus... so exactly who are you referring to???
  • judahxulu
    edited July 2010
    Options
    but his name was not Jesus... so exactly who are you referring to???

Tammuz his lord and slaver...I mean savior
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    DoU is not addressing the question at all. I already posted a version where Jesus himself rebuked someone for giving him the slightest of praises. The fact of the matter is that in life Jesus preached that all praise should be delivered to ? . So who are you going to obey Jesus or a follower that may or may not be completely capturing Jesus' teachings?

Take Luke 11:

1One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."
    2He said to them, "When you pray, say:
    " 'Father,[a]
    hallowed be your name,
    your kingdom come.
    3Give us each day our daily bread.
    4Forgive us our sins,
    for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.[c]
    And lead us not into temptation.[d]' "

This is basically Jesus' instructions on how to pray. Nowhere does he say to include himself. The whole prayer is directed to the "Father." Praying to Jesus was never something he condoned in life or after his death. That is strictly something that those who came after him pushed. So the question becomes, whose instructions are you going to follow, Jesus', his followers, or someone like Paul who never even met him. I don't think there is anything wrong with speaking to Jesus or showing him due respect, however, I don't think its right to raise him to the level of ? . He always showed a higher reverence to ? , so as his followers, shouldn't we do the same.
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. James 1:8

Y'all better be careful, I'm seeing a lot of guys set themselves up for exposure.

For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. John 5:22-23

^^^^^This right here is the definitive answer to the original question posed in this thread.

Accept it or reject it.......there's no opposition to THE TRUTH.

PEACE
  • judahxulu
    edited July 2010
    Options

Y'all better be careful, I'm seeing a lot of guys set themselves up for exposure.

That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. John 5:22-23

^^^^^This right here is the definitive answer to the original question posed in this thread.

PEACE

To me John 5:22-23 illustrates the fact that the Father and the Son are not the same entity but are linked. You cant act like Yeshua is the only person in the Bible called a Son of ? .

Ex. 4:22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel [is] my son, [even] my firstborn:

This implies the title of Son being applied to a nation. The specific term firstborn implies that Israel is not the only son. To identify a firstborn son, there has to be a second and son and so forth.

Isa. 33:22 For the LORD [is] our judge, the LORD [is] our lawgiver, the LORD [is] our king; he will save us.

Also, expand your understanding to what judgement actually is.

shaphat

שָׁפַט

1) to judge, govern, vindicate, punish

a) (Qal)

1) to act as law-giver or judge or governor (of ? , man)

a) to rule, govern, judge

2) to decide controversy (of ? , man)

3) to execute judgment

a) discriminating (of man)

b) vindicating

c) condemning and punishing

d) at theophanic advent for final judgment

b) (Niphal)

1) to enter into controversy, plead, have controversy together

2) to be judged

c) (Poel) judge, opponent-at-law (participle)

To judge can mean to condemn, but thats not the only implication of the original word used.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Meaning...

In church, speaking to ones self, praying, etc.. Christians call out on jesus for everything, more so than they do ? ...

? is to be worshipped and not jesus, right or wrong?

Yes jesus is the savior but ? is the creator and i know that you cant get to ? w/o going through
    jesus.

So with that being said, is it a sin or bad to; how can i say this... Replace christ with ? ?

There is a complexity to this for it is the belief that Jesus is also ? but that is another story. Now I don't believe it is necessarily over-emphasizing. I believe it is more of a misuse of Jesus's name. Some people think that because they are in church they have a "right" to say Jesus or ? anytime they please and show no regard to their own integrity.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

PEACE

Do you guys actually understand the question? It's not asking whether or not Jesus should be honored. It's asking whether or not too much emphasis is put on him by Christians. You and DoU keep throwing up these scriptures that don't address the issue at all. You still have yet to provide a response for what I put. If Jesus is supposed to be worshipped on the same level as ? , why did he rebuke someone for praising him and deflect all praise to the Father. If Jesus intended for people to worship and praise him, why didn't he ever say that instead of always referring everyone to the goodness of ? . The fact is, you can't show one place in the Bible where Jesus accepts or says he should be praised or worshipped in the same vein. That doesn't come until well after Jesus is dead, ressurected, and gone. As ? 's divine messenger and the connection to the Father, of course Jesus should be honored and praised. The question is whether or not that praise goes a little overboard.

My opinion is that it does. Christians put Jesus and ? on the same level. However, even if you believe that they make up the divine trinity, there is still no doubt that ? is higher in that trinity than Jesus or the Holy Spirit. This should be without question given all the reverence Jesus showed ? . Hell, Jesus begged and pleaded to ? more than once in the Bible. Would you ever plead with someone who is your equal?
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    do you guys actually understand the question? It's not asking whether or not jesus should be honored. It's asking whether or not too much emphasis is put on him by christians. You and dou keep throwing up these scriptures that don't address the issue at all. You still have yet to provide a response for what i put. If jesus is supposed to be worshipped on the same level as ? , why did he rebuke someone for praising him and deflect all praise to the father. If jesus intended for people to worship and praise him, why didn't he ever say that instead of always referring everyone to the goodness of ? . The fact is, you can't show one place in the bible where jesus accepts or says he should be praised or worshipped in the same vein. That doesn't come until well after jesus is dead, ressurected, and gone. As ? 's divine messenger and the connection to the father, of course jesus should be honored and praised. The question is whether or not that praise goes a little overboard.

My opinion is that it does. Christians put jesus and ? on the same level. However, even if you believe that they make up the divine trinity, there is still no doubt that ? is higher in that trinity than jesus or the holy spirit. This should be without question given all the reverence jesus showed ? . Hell, jesus begged and pleaded to ? more than once in the bible. Would you ever plead with someone who is your equal?

bruh... Thank you!

Dam, it took alllllllll of this for someone to relize what i was asking!!!

Im guilty of doing what my thread is about and i just wanted 2 get a better understanding...

I neva said anythin bout no going through jesus 2 get to ?

i just want to know (point blank), its is a sin/wrong to pray to and praise jesus without ackowledgin ? the father
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    ok............so how do u explain him sayin that him and the father is one

i'll explain it like this...

Water - ?
    ice - jesus
    steam - holy sprit

they are the same, but different types/forms of the same thing of course..
    All with different purposes but same agenda.

But jesus himself, does not know when the world will end.. Only ?
    jesus also that that noone is good but the father...
    But jesus also said that him and the father are one... Hince my example
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited July 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    ok............so how do u explain him sayin that him and the Father is One

"And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch. Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one."

John 10: 23 - 30

Let's talk a look at the context without singling one sentence out to try and make a point and see what it says, almost RIGHT before his supposed claim of divinity he says that ? is greater than all (Allahu Akbar) so it can't mean they are one in essence but one in purpose. But, for the sake of argument let's assume that he is saying he's ? , how do you explain this verse....

"Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one."

John 17:20-22

Who knows how many gods there would be if we try to apply the same logic to this verse!

Salaam
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i'll explain it like this...

Water - ?
    ice - jesus
    steam - holy sprit

they are the same, but different types/forms of the same thing of course..
    All with different purposes but same agenda.

But jesus himself, does not know when the world will end.. Only ?
    jesus also that that noone is good but the father...
    But jesus also said that him and the father are one... Hince my example

how does that analogy work then? How can one's purpose be different from their agenda are the words not correlated? Another reason why this doesn't make sense to me is because they may have different forms but they're all the same chemically, water, ice, and steam are all liquid. I would see the point if water was a liquid, ice was dry, and steam was acidic but the case could be made that they were all the same but it can't because it's impossible.

I read a quote somewhere i can't remember where but a man was trying to describe the trinity and he saw three of the same car being driven by three different men on the road and he claimed that was a perfect example but the man he was explaining it to corrected him and told him that you would need three DIFFERENT cars being simultaneously driven by the same man which would be the correct analogy. Holla at me when you see that.