CNN Names Nas The Greatest Lyricist Ever! Agree or Disagree?

Options

Comments

• rooster_cogburn
    rooster_cogburn Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best lyricist...either Em or Jay. Those two are the "end all be all"
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as far as lyricist go..

nas, only because..

biggie (is dead)

rakim

jay-z

dre

honorable mention: pun, black thought, kurupt, jadakiss, kane, so on & so forth..

• WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas is the that dude always has. Life is Good made a ? love hiphop again. Lyrically he's that dude.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ain't mad at it. Songs like "I Gave You Power", "Rewind", "If I Ruled The World", "NY State of Mind", "Project Windows", "World's An Addiction", "Get Down", "Nas Is Like", "You're Da Man" and several others pretty much make the case.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    It just...It just...It just feels like...Nas fans are constantly seeking validation...

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    cosign but hov > nas

ok im out!

tumblr_m88byluVJ51rrhz69.gif

tumblr_m93740Ttpk1rr0ad1.gif

tumblr_mfep15Xk9X1rjzpvto1_250.gif
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I dont know how ? can take a guy who has been in the game for 20 years. Had a album of the year in 1994, then had a album that was in the discussion for album of the year, in 2012, 18 years later. has had many ebbs and flows but still somehow made material that ppl still cared about throughout 18 years. there are only maybe 2 or 3 rappers that have lasted and had critical acclaim for 2 decades.

and actually forget rap music, just MUSIC in general, it is hard to stay relevant for 5 years, let alone 20 years, and still putting out music that people respect. so just based on that alone to reach what nas has reached should at least be applauded.

but ? wanna be quick to say a ? that had 2 albums or a ? that had a career that lasted form 1992-1996 far outshines a ? that has lasted for 18 years. when almost nobody can last that long in any kinda music.

i dont understand that ?

or they say big L was better, when big L only had a couple of good singles and verses. smh man. ? give rappers no respect at all.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    agree..after BIG
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The key word in this whole discussion is LYRICIST...with a superlative before that.

Not about having the largest bank accounts, who sell out the most shows, who had the most commercial success, who the most successful in business ventures or marital relationships..

• ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The key word in this whole discussion is LYRICIST...with a superlative before that.

Not about having the largest bank accounts, who sell out the most shows, who had the most commercial success, who the most successful in business ventures or marital relationships..

I find Lupe superior.

He isn't as successful as Nas.

• Hero!387
    Hero!387 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    Nas is absolutely the best. As far as just flat out lyricism goes, just straight up being a technical master of pure lyricism, there's only a handful of names you could even mention in the same breath as Nas and they are...Rakim, Eminem, Big Pun and that's about it. And Nas' music isn't boring. It's only boring if you're not listening to what he's saying. If you're someone who just wants something to ride to and nod ya head to and keep you company on your way to work or while you're running on the treadmil in the gym and that's all music is to you (which is absolutely fine, I've realized over the years that most people don't take music as deathly serious as I do and I'm sure many of the ICC do), then you might find some of Nas' stuff to be boring. But if you're one who listens to the artist and what they have to say then Nas' music won't be boring to you. The content will keep you interested. Nas' best verses are endlessly complex and shift through wide ranges of various topics at the speed of light with uncanny ability and anyone willing to keep up with him, on the journey's that his verses are, will have their attention fully occupied the entire time.
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont know how ? can take a guy who has been in the game for 20 years. Had a album of the year in 1994, then had a album that was in the discussion for album of the year, in 2012, 18 years later. has had many ebbs and flows but still somehow made material that ppl still cared about throughout 18 years. there are only maybe 2 or 3 rappers that have lasted and had critical acclaim for 2 decades.

and actually forget rap music, just MUSIC in general, it is hard to stay relevant for 5 years, let alone 20 years, and still putting out music that people respect. so just based on that alone to reach what nas has reached should at least be applauded.

but ? wanna be quick to say a ? that had 2 albums or a ? that had a career that lasted form 1992-1996 far outshines a ? that has lasted for 18 years. when almost nobody can last that long in any kinda music.

i dont understand that ?

or they say big L was better, when big L only had a couple of good singles and verses. smh man. ? give rappers no respect at all.
    Stop reading here! Big Poppa had album of the year in 94. ain't nobody in the streets was blasting illmatic out there cars but they sure as hell were playing ready to die!

It was written>>>>> illmatic
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    Options
    Hero!387 wrote: »
    Nas is absolutely the best. As far as just flat out lyricism goes, just straight up being a technical master of pure lyricism, there's only a handful of names you could even mention in the same breath as Nas and they are...Rakim, Eminem, Big Pun and that's about it. And Nas' music isn't boring. It's only boring if you're not listening to what he's saying. If you're someone who just wants something to ride to and nod ya head to and keep you company on your way to work or while you're running on the treadmil in the gym and that's all music is to you (which is absolutely fine, I've realized over the years that most people don't take music as deathly serious as I do and I'm sure many of the ICC do), then you might find some of Nas' stuff to be boring. But if you're one who listens to the artist and what they have to say then Nas' music won't be boring to you. The content will keep you interested. Nas' best verses are endlessly complex and shift through wide ranges of various topics at the speed of light with uncanny ability and anyone willing to keep up with him, on the journey's that his verses are, will have their attention fully occupied the entire time.

? please, he makes boring music from time to time. Music is more than lyrics b, ? need a dope beat also and vice versa. Its like watching a movie with a great script but horrible acting.
  • Hero!387
    Options
    It's crazy how Nas' best verses and songs really are like lyrical journeys. I remember hearing Michael Jackson say that every song should feel like a journey to the listener. Every fan and person listening should feel like they've experienced something after having listened to your song. Pop artists use many different tools to make sure this happens, whether it's breakdowns in the beat or climactic instrumental zeniths in the middle of songs, or progressions in the beat or whatever the case may be. But rap has always been (kinda like Punk Rock before it) the anti musical type thing. It was raw and to the point. Nas carries some of that raw magic with him in his lyricism. At his best, he takes you on the same kinda journeys pop records take you on but the difference is he'll do it with his voice and his voice alone. The same power that some pop records conjure up through the means of many different instruments as well as the artists vocals in order to illustrate the journey, Nas does that just with his voice, just with his spoken word through the course of a song and sometimes just through the course of one verse and on those occasions where his songs will add in all the instrumental elements that help illustrate the journey it adds an additional magic to the magic he already brings to the table through his lyrics. He's extremely advanced as a lyricist.
  • Hero!387
    Options
    I think some of his crowning achievements of pure lyricism are "No Idea's Original", "Purple", "Get Down", his verse on "Verbal Intercourse", that first verse on "Memory Lane" (really the entire Illmatic), "The Rise & Fall" "Queens Get The Money", a freestyle he did on the paid in full beat during the Stillmatic period, "Nasty" and a lot more but i'll be here all day if i start listing all of them.
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    Options
    Deathrowz is that you???
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Most overrated of all time. Since people have diluted lyricism to quotables you have to be honest and admit dudes quotables are all simple ? said eloquently.

Life is a ? then you die- Yeah Nas this ? ? up if you have any sense about yourself

Sleep is the cousin of death- Yeah Nas you are eventually going rather you like it or not

I mean since most of you wack jobs have reduced lyricism to quotables someone tell me what's so great about dudes quotables?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    nas is the goat. this is a true fact of life. he's not even my favorite rapper but he's still the goat somehow.

i would love for anybody that disagrees to put up their choice for the greatest lyricist of all time.
  • Limewater
    Limewater Members Posts: 4
    Options
    Nas conssisten gets mentioned as the goat or current goat alive in major journalistic outlets. Thats pretty major The Washington Post published a quote by Common stating that Nas is the Greatist Rapper Alive.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man this @Hero!387 ? again

LOL
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z is mediocre when it comes to Nas. Im a Jay-Z fan and still bump Reasonable Doubt from time to time but yall gotta admit, when it comes to lyricism, Nas straight kills Jay. I can care less about album sales, money, catchy songs/hooks and mainstream success. Yall can list all the L's that Nas took but when it comes to Hip Hop roots, Nas is full of wins.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok, you don't agree with the article cool but just say you don't agree and keep it moving. LOL @ all the dissertations being written to say why Nas ain't the best. This is the problem with hiphop now, you gotta die to be considered the best. I loved Big, Pac, Pun and all these guys who was killed or passed away, but why we gotta bash Nas to big up all these other dudes? Just accept that he is one of the best and keep it moving. Maybe you don't think he is the best but it's ok! Why do we have to put rapper A vs rapper B all the time? Just say you don't agree and keep it moving!! ? love grasping for straws. Well umm M.C. Hammer had a better comeback with pumps and a bump than Nas did with such and such song. Well umm, Big L is better......well umm, Kool G. Rap is a thousand times better than Nas. It's funny how some dudes operate.
  • jayvon32
    jayvon32 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas is one of the GOAT cant deny that on that lyrical tip....i dont think too many would argue against that
  • RXMasked
    RXMasked Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    Options
    spit_fiya wrote: »
    tumblr_mfzm15wBkO1r0q8ozo1_500.jpg

i almost punched the screen
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    NAS THE GOAT..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBqTdOW5Xjc

Word to mama, any lineup of rhymers
    Could bring any drama, anytime, the city's mine

Nas Is Like, Love Undying, Money's My ?
    In Thugz Mansion, thugs dancin' around the fly ?
    Pharaoh garment's Prada, Egyptian camelback-riders
    Pyramid architects, Perignon bottles, money, jewelry want me to come
    Get me, hit me but don't miss me, you history

Lead flowin' around like a Frisbee, Italian dons from Sicily kiss me
    This ain't 50, this ain't Jigga, this ain't Diddy, this ain't Pretty
    Pain, power, ? and pistols, lyrically no one, hold none near me, hear me
    Kids cheer me like The Count of Monte-Cristo

Steady poundin' soundin' like G without the lisp though
    My big bro told me plain and simple, "Nas do not look back"
    Watch where you took rap, no bookbags and trucker hats
    Just army jacks and diamonds that's flashin'
    What the ? is that, freestyle...

I love Street's Disciple, but you quoted "Disciple" while posting the "Street's Disciple" video... Two different songs homie LoL...

Fire either way!!!