Biggie Smalls or Jay-z

Options

Comments

• Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    I see quite a few posts from kats who seem to be arguing in favor of Jay but not voting for either but they voted on other threads??? Cannot get mad if your pick loses and you did not even vote...
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B.i.G
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    Gotta agree with Tommy. silk the shocker could be a choice and ? would pick him. it's a bunch of hypotheticals. Big was never given a chance to "fall off" so he is forever enshrined in the untouchable stratosphere. whose to say that would've happened but nobody would continuously string together classic after classic. it's just not realistic. so I gotta go with Jay on this

It's not like Jay losing to bums, Silk the shocker type skills and catalog is completely different from alltime game changing legends like Cube, Pac and Nas. Why would you cosign a ? 's sentiments that's clearly emotional because Jay losing to a guy he continues to bite lyrically to this day? Its Not Big's fault he got merked so I don't think the "he didn't have a chance to fall off" thing is fair or valid because we comparing dudes assuming they are in their primes anyway meaning Jay at his best also...atleast that's what I thought, maybe TS can clear up the qualifications or something. I don't think Big is untouchable, I just think he's the better all around total package rapper between the two of them
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For me this contest is a tie . .

I bump Life After Death more than any JayZ album though

And we all know JayZ has bitten Big's lyrics like hell

But the Jigga-man is good when he really wants to and I personally feel he dropped his last good effort (album) in 2003 . .
  • jayvon32
    jayvon32 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    Damn, I see the IC is showing Jay no love....

Like Jay said.....

"Since I will not lose, they try to help him cheat
    But I will not lose, for even in defeat
    There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens it up for me"
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    Heart beat props.

I like Big and all but he's dead. He made great music but his time has passed. Jay is still making good music.

Dead artist get held on a pedestal which is too often unfair and borderline stanish.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    Jay-27
    Big-41

5more hours
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B.i.G
    jayvon32 wrote: »
    Damn, I see the IC is showing Jay no love....

Like Jay said.....

"Since I will not lose, they try to help him cheat
    But I will not lose, for even in defeat
    There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens it up for me"

damn, how many times does Jay feel the need to reference his lost in any kind way...? really does burn slow.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    B.i.G
    Big imo was far more influential than Jay in hip hop.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You cats need to be more creative wit these threads.You should do a ghostface vs raekwon thread

Or which story was better shakey dog or ? bleed or cam vs kanye west etc

Theres more to hip hop beside jigga,nasir,big l,and tupakk
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B.i.G
    I voted big cuz I been bumping more of his music lately but it's a toss up depending on who im listening to more at the time.. biggie's stories Cant b ? wit
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Jigga
    You cats need to be more creative wit these threads.You should do a ghostface vs raekwon thread

I've done more than those emcees

I did Bone Thugs vs The Wu

Common or Mos Def

Scarface or Rakim

Cube Or Jay

Kurupt or Styles P

Ill take suggestions pm me or post a comment on my profile....
  • franknitti
    franknitti Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    Big = most overrated legacy in the game.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B.i.G

Finally I agree with you. these same cats get talked about to death, it's like beating a dead horse.

• _Menace_
    Options
    Jigga
    Big wins 45-30
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B.i.G
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Big wins 45-30

tumblr_mdidu7M0zu1qlmdtco1_500.gif
  • Rhyme_Religion
    Rhyme_Religion Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B.I.G. by a landslide over Jay? Really ? I thought it would've been a closer race.

Imma pass on voting .
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    B.I.G. by a landslide over Jay? Really ? I thought it would've been a closer race.

Imma pass on voting .
    It was close for a while, then Big came back and crushed the buildings

• DMTxTHC
    Options
    B.i.G
    do nas & jay z

Uh oh.. don't do it Menace!.. lol..
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Jigga
    do nas & jay z

Lol hella late.... Did that already.:. NaS bodied him
  • DMTxTHC
    Options
    B.i.G
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    do nas & jay z

Lol hella late.... Did that already.:. NaS bodied him

Really?.. I missed that.. I think..
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    So, Jay-Z and Em are hated are the most hated.
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B.i.G
    ohhhla wrote: »
    So, Jay-Z and Em are hated are the most hated.

Nah, just the most overrated and ? on here feel the need to do justice in the I.C.

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    Do Em and Jay. We can see who is the most hated rapper on the IC
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    Jay is from overrated.

I'll kinda say Nas and Pac a bit.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga
    Jay-Z would have surpassed Biggie musically, lyrically, and success-wise eventually whether Biggie lived or died.

How do you know this?..

Musically, Jay had Pharell, Just Blaze, Timbaland, and Kanye at his disposal.

Lyrically, Jay was AT LEAST always on par with Biggie. People don't like to acknowledge or entertain the idea because Biggie is dead, but he wasn't any better than Jay. In fact, Jay's flow was always better and people will only be able to recognize how nice he was in the 90's when he dies in the future.

People say Pun and L are overrated because they died, but Jay's overrated cause he's still alive? No, word to Fazeem: Big is put on a pedalstool because of his death. He was nice as ? , don't get me wrong, but he wasn't lightyears ahead of Jay, Pun, L, or Nas lyrically.

Success-wise, I find it hard to believe that Puff would have granted him the artistic and legal freedom to do the type of things Jay was able to do. Speculation, I know but Puff has a proven track record.

In 97, Jay was working with a lot of the same producers as Biggie and anybody on the Bad Boy roster was, so who's to say Biggie wouldn't have had access to those same producers you mentioned?.. hell, he was already cool with Jermaine Dupri (see Big Poppa remix and Da B Side) who produced Money Ain't A Thang for Jay-Z..

I don't think he was lightyears ahead of Nas, Jay and Pun (Jay had better verses on I Love the Dough).. nosign on Jay having a better flow though..

And as far as Puffy goes, he convinced Biggie to take a more mainstream approach with a lot of his songs, but it seems Big's artistic freedom wouldn't have got in the way of what Puff wanted him to do..
    DJ Premier: Puff didn’t like that record. When I gave him the track he caught me on the elevator and told me, “This is not hot, Preme. I need something more blazin’, like ‘Unbelievable.’” I was like, “That ? right there is hot.” He’s like, “I need a Tunnel banger.” I said, “That’s a Tunnel banger.” He goes, “You ain’t hittin’ it like you used to.” That’s exactly what he said. I thought he was doing it just to ? with me, because that’s when he really started traveling with security. I was like, OK, he just trying to make me feel small. But at the end of the day Puff is my man. Me and him is mad cool despite the fact that he did not like that particular track, and then when we did it I said, “I told you this ? was gonna be hot.” And Puff goes, “I told you I had to hear the lyrics first.” I was like, “Yeah, aight.”

(what Premo had to say on Kick In the Door) ^^..

Plus this ? Biggie was rapping about kidnapping plantiff's daughters and leaving them in Brooklyn basement on his biggest hit.. how much more freedom do you need? lol..

I see what you mean about Puff, but for what it's worth, Biggie planned to launch his Bklyn Mint clothing line before he died..

It easily becomes a moot point comparing the artistic potenial of these two. All I have left to say is that considering that Biggie compromised his artistic vision to accomodate Puff's ambition two albums into his career, I can't give him the benefit of the doubt that he would have expanded his sound and content for the better. Jay on the other hand has offered extraordinary music for the past 16 years, which is virtually unheard of in any genre.

And Jay does, in fact, have better flow than Biggie. His flow on Jigga What is superior than Biggie on Notorious Thugs. When it comes to wordplay, they were about equal.