Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeros/The Phantom Pain

Options

Comments

• achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've played through Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. I quite like it, and I want to tell you all about it, but this isn't a review -- look for that on IGN very soon. So, I'm putting the ball in your court.

What do you want to know? Ask me anything. (No spoilers.)

I put out the call ahead of time and got some great questions. I'll be reading the comments here on IGN and adding more Q&A to this article, so come back often to learn more about the MGS5 experience, and see if what you're asking ends up on IGN. Let's start with the obvious.

Literally Everyone asks: How long is Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes?

Yes, Ground Zeroes is as short as you’ve heard. Two hours, tops -- but that’s for the main mission, “Ground Zeroes,” which leads into The Phantom Pain.

When completed, you unlock four “Side Ops,” which feel like straight-up Peace Walker 2 missions. All take place in the same Cuban base camp you’ve seen, but they each play pretty differently from another. Entry points (and methods) are different, vehicle locations are different, enemy patterns are different. Some take place in daylight. Some force you to be loud, or have fail states if you aren’t quick enough to complete your mission.

I played Ground Zeroes for eight hours. I finished each mission at least twice, and spent some extra time speed-running, trying to get my completion times under 20 minutes. I also hunted down all the secret patches, which unlock an additional, platform-specific mission.

I will do all of this again, quite happily, when Ground Zeroes releases at retail.

James176 asks: Will it import to The Phantom Pain when you complete Ground Zeroes?

Yes, POWs, Mother Base bonuses, and more statistical things will carry over. You’ll also get downloadable content bonuses of some kind that benefit you when Phantom Pain releases. The Phantom Pain will definitely know you’ve played Ground Zeroes. Plus, if you play on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, your save data will transfer to Xbox One and PS4, respectively.

VirtuaMurphy asks: Does it feel like a complete thing? Why shouldn't I just wait for The Phantom Pain?

Yes, but the way I’m going to explain this isn’t going to be terribly convincing.

Playing Ground Zeroes reminded me of discovering Metal Gear Solid for the first time in 1998. The original demo took Snake through Shadow Moses’ opening area right up to the death of the DARPA Chief. That was a solid chunk of game with memorable characters, memorable objectives, memorable moments, all in a memorable space.

Ground Zeroes replicates that feeling for me. Mechanically, this is the best Metal Gear Solid has ever been, and it’s a gorgeous game on PS4 and Xbox One, so it feels new, or at least unlike most Metal Gear games.

I’m also reminded of the Tanker chapter from MGS2 in that regard -- a big, cool chapter that introduces you to the big picture. But the Tanker didn’t cost $40. Neither did the demo for the original. This, presumably, makes the Metal Gear Solid 5 experience a $100 investment, after you buy a retail box when The Phantom Pain releases.

To make an awful food analogy, Ground Zeroes really is an appetizer, something to get you started and hold you over until your main course arrives. Appetizers cost money, too. I can’t think of a $40 one, granted, but I also won’t spend 10-15 hours eating one, either.

This food thing really got away from me.

Point being, Ground Zeroes has a beginning and end, a bunch of extra content, and a lot of fun surprises and secrets. It feels like a game. A small game, but a good one. Whether that’s worth your time or money can be better determined when IGN’s review goes live later this month.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-ask-an-ign-editor-anything
  • achewon87
    Options
    Started playing it last night on PS4...

It looks gorgeous, Snake movements are pretty fluid, just really messing around with guards and the environment at the moment...

So far only 1 cutscene at the start for maybe 5-10 minutes, no codec interruptions, you can choose to listen to the audio files while moving around ala Bioshock...

Played about an hr now and there are 5 extra missions that take usually 45 minutes according to reviews, so I am looking at 5-6 hrs to do all missions not including collectibles...

Anyone else try it yet?...
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not paying $40 for a demo
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    LOL the hit looks good but aint no way I'm paying that much for a short game. Wonder if I should spend my $25 PowerUp Reward card Monies on this ? ?
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL the hit looks good but aint no way I'm paying that much for a short game. Wonder if I should spend my $25 PowerUp Reward card Monies on this ? ?

I was thinking of using that discount of this ? too.
  • achewon87
    Options
    I have been playing for about 2hrs it should be ending shortly I suppose but I haven't even infiltrated the main facility yet, so not sure, taking my time mind you...

Only 2 cut scenes so far...
  • achewon87
    Options
    I'm not paying $40 for a demo $30 for 5-6 hrs of next gen MGS 5

Fixed...
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I should be getting mine later today for the ps3. It would be rare to have a birthday without a metal gear game in the mix
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    I'm not paying $40 for a demo $30 for 5-6 hrs of next gen MGS 5

Fixed...

yeah i didnt see a point editing it because i wouldn't pay $30 either
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This doesn't drop til Friday here either.
  • achewon87
    Options
    2 hrs 44 mins to clear the main mission...

Unlocked 4 spec ops missions, 1 left to unlock...
  • Karl.
    Options
    Is this worth picking up?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Should I just wait till I get a ps4 to play this?
  • reapin505
    Options
    Glorified demo, wait for the price to go down. Damn my mom pre-orded this like weeks ago and I finished it. Get it if you wanna know the details leading up to the phantom pain

I will say this sneaking is much more...of a requirement. You have to look around for ways to get past enemies. The past few mgs games you can just slaughter the lot of em, here well they have lots of tanks and once the the ai gets organized, if you are backed in a corner you are ? . I am somewhat excited for the phantom pain now, the controls, the graphics, and the fact this series is my holy grail I am sure I will buy it. Honestly this was just a glorified demo
    Paz got that fire ? though
  • Karl.
    Options
    I might just wait for the bundle.
  • reapin505
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

Thats really the best option. I'm glad my mom got me this for my birthday but I feel like ? she paid for it lol. Hell for this they could of done what they did with MGS2 and put this in another game they were releasing.
  • Karl.
    Options
    I hope this flops sales-wise so devs don't start doing this all the time.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just wait ........ Amazon usually has a special on new games about two weeks after it drops.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its only $19.99 on psn store
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Its only $19.99 on psn store
    Still $10 to high id rather buy all 5 episodes of The Walking Dead season 2.

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I hope this flops sales-wise so devs don't start doing this all the time.
    The PS version is selling out. It really is no different than DLC or paying for online service now. Live opened up the flood gates for ? like this.

I only got it because I traded some games in. As a fan I like getting accustomed to the feel of the game. So it serves its purpose for that.
  • VulcanRaven
    edited March 2014
    Options
    reapin505 wrote: »
    Glorified demo, wait for the price to go down. Damn my mom pre-orded this like weeks ago and I finished it. Get it if you wanna know the details leading up to the phantom pain

I will say this sneaking is much more...of a requirement. You have to look around for ways to get past enemies. The past few mgs games you can just slaughter the lot of em, here well they have lots of tanks and once the the ai gets organized, if you are backed in a corner you are ? . I am somewhat excited for the phantom pain now, the controls, the graphics, and the fact this series is my holy grail I am sure I will buy it. Honestly this was just a glorified demo
    Paz got that fire ? though

Exactly.Only the same people will buy it who have been into the series since MGS. I think this will actually hurt potential new comers as this will give them a narrow view of what the series is about and most people are stupid and will not realize its just a prelude to the full game. The game just won't appeal to the COD/BF crowd the way Konami hopes.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

Why bother unless you played MGS3 or Peace Walker you won't even fully appreciate this or the full installment. Noobs can't just jump into MGS without knowing the backs story. There are levels to this ? Karl.
  • achewon87
    Options
    Yeah...

If your brand new or only played a few of them then it probably is not for you, the story in this would be a bit confusing if you never played Peace Walker, better beat Peace Walker cause story is spoiled within the first 2 mins...

If your a ? fan I recommend it, if not wait until full game this will probably be included...

If you beat the 2nd spec ops mission you will get an easter egg next time you select mission from the start screen...