How do we judge rappers?

Options

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Some people seem to think that the more obscure, convoluted and incoherent a rapper's lyrics are the better they are.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Back to MC-ing and using @Jamaica 's examples I think Jim Jones actually touches on more of those bases than Canibus does. Jimmy can be entertaining, he can flow, and he can craft songs better than Canibus. Can Canibus rap circles around him? Yes, hell he can rap circles around him twice, but lyrics are only one part of the game.

that's why i prefer jimmy music his songs are better. but as a rapper canibus is better. i dont judge rappers on who i prefer but who is the better rapper.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This debate falls into two categories imo, rappers who are technically proficient (Canibus, Ras Kass,etc) and rappers who are just entertaining (2chainz,gucci,etc). The truly great rappers combine technical proficiency and entertainment value to me, those are the rappers i can all the time despite the mood. People like Canibus or 2chainz aint some ? i would normally listen to, only when i'm in the club party(2chainz) or on some hiphop ? (Bis).
  • juan travolta
    juan travolta Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the rapper doesnt have to spit these crazy big words. Im fine with average lyrics. But the beat means a lot to me..i cant listen to a song if i aint feeling the beat.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. it starts with voice... if u have an annoying voice that it... this is music... it supposed to be something u want to listen to no annoying

2. Flow... u have to have a dope flow.. once again... it's for listening... i don't care about ur lyrics if ur flow sucks and you can't even interest me... if u can't flow then write a book and if u got something interesting enough to say maybe i'll read it... but i'm not gonna listen to u rap.

3. Pick good beats... again... THIS IS MUSIC...

4. Lyrical ability... what seperates the greats from the rest

What if you have all that and cant make a solid album aka Jadakiss?

Kiss the Game Goodbye was a solid album imo
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    It was solid to me when it first came out, I cant force myself to go grab either one of his first 2 albums that I own now.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if you don't rap good you wack to me IDC how catchy your songs are.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I judge a rapper by his music...IDC what the ? saying, if I can't feel it then you just a rapping ass ? .
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The way the industry is set up nowadays anybody and their momma can rap..but to me it's basically songwriting, concepts/content+charisma/presence.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Contrary to elitist belief "lyrics >>> all"

I'd say:

Lyrical ability
    Delivery
    Wittiness, punchlines
    Creativity
    Accessibility
    Content, "soulfulness"

Bassicalu this u can have all the high powered lyrics u want. But if can't flow to a beat or say some that I cane relate to or something meaningful. U suck ass.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It depends on what classification we are talking about. If someone comes up to me and asks what Rappers are in my top 5, its going to be the rappers that can make something soulful while sticking to the main criteria.(Dope beats, delivery, lyrics) But as with the debate with car vs headphone music, there are naturally going to be some rappers I will not listen to in my car or at a party, but will listen to anywhere else or vice versa. Blu is in my Top 5, but you wont hear him in my car or at a party.
  • loch121
    Options
    The problem is wack and catchy go hand in hand with cheesy and pandering

meaning most of the songs on the radio are wack because they want to be catchy brainless jingles

that ain't what hip hop is about and never will be
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a time and place for everything, it's always been about balance too. For every Public Enemy, KRS there was a Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang. I have different music for different moods and settings. When i'm in a party, bar,etc i want my music IGNANT AS POSSIBLE. LOL I want some music demeaning these hoes.

2433343_o.gif
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The lyricism is what matters most to me. Doesn't matter if he sounds like, Jemini, C-Rayz Walz, or Cee Lo as long as the lyrics are dope and original.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

meaning most of the songs on the radio are wack because they want to be catchy brainless jingles

hip hop is about expression whether or not it gets radio play is up to the record companies and people with money nowadays. I could care less if the public views it hot or not cuz you can be a rapping ass ? and still be in heavy roation. If you just sayin ? just to say ? then you a rapping ass ? straight up. There is a whole bundle of clowns that these so-called "real hip hop" heads be putting on a pedestal....and they don't say ? in there music.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    it used to be a balance, there was a time when you made catchy music and was lyrical at the same time. now people want to act like you cant do both at the same time.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beats
    Flow
    Content
    Believability

in that order

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

hip hop is about expression whether or not it gets radio play is up to the record companies and people with money nowadays. I could care less if the public views it hot or not cuz you can be a rapping ass ? and still be in heavy roation. If you just sayin ? just to say ? then you a rapping ass ? straight up. There is a whole bundle of clowns that these so-called "real hip hop" heads be putting on a pedestal....and they don't say ? in there music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYWpg9xac3I
    this is expression about what? ? . I hate ? like this

But c/s on the italicized
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    it used to be a balance, there was a time when you made catchy music and was lyrical at the same time. now people want to act like you cant do both at the same time.

Exactly..where and who said that it's not possible to do both? Who do we place the blame on?
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    Options
    I judge rappers by their songwriting abilities, which was easier to do in the 80 to mid 90's before it was all about image. My favorite emcees not only can emcee well, do so on stage but write great songs. They are very diverse in their content and clever on how they bring it. How they use their voice, their abilities to switch up their flow, their growth in the music. No need to have a emcee who dropped a solo in 95 talking the same ? in 2012.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »

Exactly..where and who said that it's not possible to do both? Who do we place the blame on?

alot of people on here say "we just wanna have fun, we not trying to decipher lyrics"
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I judge a rapper simply by the soul he got in him
  • loch121
    Options

What are your examples of these lyrical ? who don't say ? ? Seems like a paradox
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Does the music sound good and is it interesting/entertaining to listen too? Its that simple, I can enjoy GZA's music

with his complex imagery as a Young Jeezy record. I ? with the Roots but I might throw on some Future too. Y'all

make ? complicated for no reason . You either like how something sound or you don't .
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I judge rappers on their lyrics, everything else is secondary to me. I'm not buying an album because so and so produced it. I'm buying it because I feel what the rapper is saying.