How do we judge rappers?

Options
13»

Comments

• moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smdh at ? being to dumb to break down lyrics nowadays. That was part of the fun when I was coming up. "Did you hear what that ? just said" was a popular saying in hip hop or "rewind that ? ".
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    moedays wrote: »
    Smdh at ? being to dumb to break down lyrics nowadays. That was part of the fun when I was coming up. "Did you hear what that ? just said" was a popular saying in hip hop or "rewind that ? ".

word being lyrical is a bad thing smh

• Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    moedays wrote: »

Yeah..it's like a curse nowadays. Their brains have gotten pass ? now to do that.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ having to write a rappers lyrics down in a notepad in order to dissect them. Short bus ass ?

I like rappers who can actually rap. I like flow, content, lyricism, good beat selection, ad-libs, character, originality, and style. (Oh and I don't listen to ? who I think is soft)

And you don't necessarily have to have every single one of those qualities I listed but those the things I like in a rapper.

My iTunes ranges from Soulja Slim to Jay-Z to Deltron 3030 . As long as you can rhyme on a good beat you cool wit me
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ? , "Jamacia"
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    ? ? , "Jamacia"

you upset?
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    seems that way
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only judge rappers on how well you can craft an album. Cause in all reality that's the only thing that matters in the long run. All those mixtape rappers that a lot of ppl claim to be great aren't really cause they weren't good enough to put out a solid album. Granted some get caught in bad label situations but i think for the most part they don't have that artistic skill to make an album.

Do you consider Section 80 an album?
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I only judge rappers on how well you can craft an album. Cause in all reality that's the only thing that matters in the long run. All those mixtape rappers that a lot of ppl claim to be great aren't really cause they weren't good enough to put out a solid album. Granted some get caught in bad label situations but i think for the most part they don't have that artistic skill to make an album.

Hell yeah Section80 is an album...Just like Carter IV was a mixtape
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    GZus wrote: »

Hell yeah Section80 is an album...Just like Carter IV was a mixtape

I was just trying to determine if he was one of those cats, who automatically considers anything not released by a major or through a major a mixtape. Cause as far as I'm considered Section 80 was Kendrick's debut and a near classic (if not a classic). Whereas some would say it don't count until he drops "Good kid, mad city" cause it's on Aftermath.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lyrical deals with emotional output while lyricism deals with the lyrics
  • Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    Options
    lyricism flow delivery and subject matter are the 4 points of criteria.

Rappers dont pick beats if they are signed, their A&Rs do.

and all that image ? is for videos and magazines, appreciate the art of the MC

Rick Ross sucks and so does Young Jeezy, they just aint good rappers.