Who do you think has a better catalog: Jay-Z or Kanye?

Options

Comments

• CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    Both in my top 5 catalog wise

But I gotta go with Ye
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    Ye uses too many writers to even give him a catalog...gotta go with jay
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    bck145 wrote: »
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    you know what...i wont even trip until i see anyone over age 25 say Yeezy. Please come forward.

The rest of yall honestly i dont fault you. Ya'll dont know any better. The bar for your era is so low LYRICALLY.

B/c Jay-z LYRICALLY from 96-2004 is why this is no contest.

jay-z is my favorite rappet and im saying kanye has the better catalog

kanye has 5 solo albums. jay has 11. you take jays 5 best albums out of the picture and you still have 6 albums that are filled with great, okay, and terrible songs. those can't be ignored

yeah but u put jayz 5 best next to kanyes catalogue and jayz wins hands down.....plus the left out stuff has enough great material to make 2 other amazing albums if pieced together

plus you can take kanye's last two flops and put them next to jayz's biggest flops and i still think jayz wins the battle there too...kingdom come > 808's...and everything is better than mbdtf

I agree but the fact is that's not the case. the dope music that was on BP2 gets overshadowed by the wack ? . same thing with bp3, kingdom come, vol. 3, dynasty. why praise the sugar and act like the ? doesn't exist when they're on the same album?

you're speaking on what it could have been. I'm speaking on what it is

yes i get it but kanye has two whole albums of complete ? ....at least on jayz's worst albums theres still gems

plus jayz longevity works against him....yes he's had more chances for classics but he's also had more chances for disaster and he's still relavant, yeezy won't be around in 10 years like that
  • Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    Is the question who is the better lyricist? Catalog right? Kanye makes better music than jay, period

Freudian slip: "Makes" is present tense. Yall just cant get the current 'Euro Jay' out of your head. His career did not start w/ Blueprint.

Go dig in them e-crates and listen to RD, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Dynasty...and ya'll REALLY need to re-listen to Blueprint.

RD, Blueprint 1+2+Black Album were good albums, not many skippable tracks...but id take Late Registration over any of em eaasillly...Grad too

Late Reg> RD & Blueprint?

Graduation better than RD, BP, and Black Album?

shaq-laughing-o.gif

tumblr_m9h5fvFZLV1qe0pab.gif

throw in MBDTF too...it just sounds better, not saying Jay isnt much better lyrically and flow wise, i just think kanye's music sounds better..its ? u can listen to in any situation..jay, not so much
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tie
    To me the tie breaker will be how ye does in these next few albums. Ye's shooting % is better but hes still has to take more shots than jay does. If ye slips off and does some fuckery then ill vote jay in the future. If the next ye album or 2 is consistent to his past few or better than i will give the not to ye.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tie
    Meant to vote for yeezy
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yeezy
    you know what...i wont even trip until i see anyone over age 25 say Yeezy. Please come forward.

The rest of yall honestly i dont fault you. Ya'll dont know any better. The bar for your era is so low LYRICALLY.

lmao, so its impossible for people who's under 25 to hear RD, Vol. 1, Streets Is Watching etc?
    try not catching feelins
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    i've never heard a bad, weak or mediocre Kanye West album.

then you've never listened to kanye west...only reasonable explanation
  • Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    bck145 wrote: »
    i've never heard a bad, weak or mediocre Kanye West album.

then you've never listened to kanye west...only reasonable explanation

Cruel summer only "mediocre" Ye album..if you want to call it a Ye album(i think its a 7.5/10)

hip hop heads just hate 808's

*retreats back to yeezus thread*
  • moonfromsoufcack
    moonfromsoufcack Members Posts: 15
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Jay
    ookaaay...

so jay got 10 solo albums, ALL #1's in their debut, and
    in my opinion
    5 classics: reasonable doubt, in my lifetime, blueprint, black album, american gangster
    3 greats(critically acclaimed): vol 2, vol.3, blueprint 3
    2 (didn't hit they're mark, but ay, hov still hov): blueprint 2, kingdom come

and ye' got 5 solo albums, all #1's in their debut, EXCEPT for college dropout which debuted at #2 and
    in my opinion
    3 classics: late registration, graduation, MBDTF
    1 great(critically acclaimed): college dropout
    1 (didn't hit its mark, prolly cuz it was so personal): 808's & heartbreaks

so there you have it! kanye is genius and well on his way, but jay-z got the midas touch, his overall catalogue more than doubles kanye's catalogue, his overall flow and story-telling is better, and his concepts are more ill.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tie
    I really think it will be interesting if we do this poll on the IC in 5 years. The biggest thing hurting kanye i think is himself. Many people are worried Kim Will soften him but i don't think that will happen. He would have already making simp music by now and hes not.

But i think that there is a chance that kanye turns his rants and complaints into albums and or goes amanda bynes or lindsay lohan crazy in general on future projects. Now don't get me wrong he could have more classics. But at the same time hes always been a ticking time bomb.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy

lmao, so its impossible for people who's under 25 to hear RD, Vol. 1, Streets Is Watching etc?
    try not catching feelins

? who say those under 25 was deprived of lyricism act like nothing comparable to ? came out during the 90's. My belief is that once you crossover to legendary status, you've proven yourself certified and Kanye has done that DESPITE his lyrics. Jay been legend but I think we compared him with Ye more of because we've watched him go from that chessing geek ? to crafting classics I still stand by my vote.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    Kanye west is a better Artist
    Jay-z is a better rapper

At the end of the day being a better artist to me is more lasting than being a better rapper there is no boundaries or landscapes kanye would not try, like kanye west can rap on a Elton john sample(good morning) than can go rap on a daft punk sample (stronger) and than a Michael Jackson sample (good life) and all of that was on the same album and be cohesive even though those songs are from different time periods and genres , I just can not see jay-z taking risks like that he is very formulaic when it comes to making albums he stays in his safety zone.

Jay-z will do his usual producer round up he will get a beat from pharrell then a couple of beats from timbaland then one from swizz and maybe one from just blaze and No.ID throw some features on their with who ever is hot at the moment to do the hooks or a verse throw it all in a blender and you have a modern day jay-z album.

And I have been listening to jay-z when only New York ? knew who he was "and that's a mighty long time" .
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    Its a tough one. The gap has shortened. But i go with Jay
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    like kanye west can rap on a Elton john sample(good morning) than can go rap on a daft punk sample (stronger) and than a Michael Jackson sample (good life) and all of that was on the same album and be cohesive even though those songs are from different time periods and genres , I just can not see jay-z taking risks like that he is very formulaic when it comes to making albums he stays in his safety zone.

Plenty of rappers including Jay rap on different genre samples. Kanye isn't the only one. Look up credits of other rappers. Plus who cares that he sampled Daft Punk, that ? was wack as ? any way.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy

*Raises hand* Guilty
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tie
    kjrain12 wrote: »
    What y'all think are Jay's weakest albums?

Kingdoom Come
    Vol 3
    Dynasty
    Blueprint 2

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    as of right now Jay but ye bout to pass him up soon
  • Mr.LV
    Options
    Yeezy
    Damn its tied at 47%
  • ohhhla
    Options
    Yeezy
    To be honest, I think it's a fair comparison.

Kanye debuted when Hov supposed retired.

Kanye has 5 albums but if I had to pick

I'm going with Kanye.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    Better Rapper Jay , Better Artist Kanye . 1. Jay-Z catalogue is only half as good without Kanye. Kanye may have added 15 years to Jay's career
  • Mr.LV
    Options
    Yeezy
    ohhhla wrote: »

*Raises hand* Guilty

Yeah I'm 25 and still picked kanye west(goes back to listen to the luscious production of devil in a new dress)
  • ohhhla
    Options
    Yeezy
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    ohhhla wrote: »

*Raises hand* Guilty

Yeah I'm 25 and still picked kanye west(goes back to listen to the luscious production of devil in a new dress)

Kanye is musical genius his concept, his production and etc.

Like literally he's up their with Nas when it comes to albums.

Go and ahead and flag this post.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Jay
    How the hell is Kanye a better "artist" than Jay? It aint like the ? play instruments or ? , he makes beats and "produces" the album. Kanye is a genius in his craft(producing) and Jay is a genius in his(rapping). Where does Kanye take the lead at cause it damn sure aint cause he's a good rapper. You say Ye puts his albums together, If im not mistaken Jay is at least the Co-executive producer on most of his albums too.