The Official 2013-2014 Football (Soccer) Thread.

Options

Comments

• Gooner
    Gooner Members Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol that gourcouff wage is per month not per week...thats still high tho
  • Gooner
    Options
    lmao at what the scotland u21 keeper jus did
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Clearly on a decline? Lol

No fam, stop it...

He wants to leave cause SAF still has a massive say in what goes on, and clearly...SAF has had enough and he is worried that he could get dropped for massive games due to SAF influence.

only thing on the decline at united is rooney... and the bottles of wine in the cabnet...
  • water ur seeds
    Options
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Gooner wrote: »
    lmao at what the scotland u21 keeper jus did

Calamity fam
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    @Seeds, I was at Wembley too
  • water ur seeds
    Options

sweet where you sit mate? the burgers where schitt, £!4 for 2 drinks and 1 burger and chips...
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options

sweet where you sit mate? the burgers where schitt, £!4 for 2 drinks and 1 burger and chips...

near one of the corner flags.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    @Seeds, was a decent game. Missed the first goal, though.
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    how you miss a goal you wally??? haha we got there mad early to check the atmosphere...
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    how you miss a goal you wally??? haha we got there mad early to check the atmosphere...

My damn brother. Told him we should leave at 12. He wanted us to leave at 12.30. We were 15 minutes late.

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cute, I remember my first trip to wembley.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

Ive seen three England games there
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My damn brother. Told him we should leave at 12. He wanted us to leave at 12.30. We were 15 minutes late.

Lmao ? hilarious
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Sebastian Perez the kid who had the trail with Arsenal was denied a work permit & it's stated the Arsenal will announce a new signing on Thursday doesn't state who though!!!
  • northside7
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »
    Sebastian Perez the kid who had the trail with Arsenal was denied a work permit & it's stated the Arsenal will announce a new signing on Thursday doesn't state who though!!!

Hopefully Gustavo.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everton, Lazio, and Schalke are interested in Newcastle Jets midfielder Josh Brillante

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Gnw1VKiNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1WUBg-xq9I
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    Tottenham on the verge of signing Christian Eriksen!!!
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    Luis Suárez has told top Uruguayan journalist @MartinCharquero he will not be leaving Liverpool.
    7:24 PM - 13 Aug 2013
  • Gooner
    Options
    but I thought suarez wasn't gonna speak to Uruguayan press? Lmao... And now he's staying coz of the fans? And abt to sign a new deal too... I guess he saw that the clause won't stand up and realized he's ? ... And Liverpool forgot he called the manager a liar jus last week? Lol
  • water ur seeds
    Options

your next trip there will be a championship final, i saw england ireland there while ago, the place is over rated, im not a massive fan of new stadiums...
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    lol @ west ham wanting ba back...
  • northside7
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Barcelona and Madrid, too rich for devalued Liga
    Barcelona and Real Madrid are the biggest clubs in Spain due to a history littered with trophies and the several millions of dedicated supporters who have followed their every move for over a century. La Liga is able to interest so many fans from around the world largely because of an intrinsic love or loathing for either Los Cules or Los Merengues.

That being said, there are 18 more teams competing in the domestic league. I am fully aware that such affirmation may seem blatantly obvious but, unfortunately, there seem to be far too many directors running the Spanish game who, for a whatever reason, consistently favoure the top two on a disproportionate basis and are hurting the competition as a result.

Barcelona and Madrid each receive a massive 23% of the revenue obtained by selling television rights while teams such as Real Betis or Levante only get 2% of the total. In other words: Barcelona earn €128 million more than Levante per season as a reward for playing the same number of games in the same competition.

To put it into perspective, the biggest income difference in Premier League, between Manchester United and the newly-promoted teams, is just €23 million. In the Bundesliga, treble winners Bayern Munich are only allocated 7.6% of revenue, while others such as Schalke, Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen or Werder Bremen all get around 6.6% of the total.

The system of distributing earnings in the Spanish league is making the rich richer and the poor poorer. When compared to other major European competitions, it is blatantly obvious that the Liga system is completely out-dated and unsustainable in the long-term.

The number of years that such a debatable system has been in place, together with the inability of some so-called minor clubs to organise their limited resources effectively during that time, has inevitably widened the gap between Barca, Madrid and the rest to a level that could threaten the integrity of the competition as a whole.

During the current transfer window, La Liga has lost far too many of their best players due to the club's failure to match offers presented by foreign clubs and, more importantly, the imperative need to use money obtained from transfers for paying off debts, acquired by illadvised actions while the cash flowed in previous years.

At this point, it is clear the clubs' priority must be to ensure their survival within the current adverse economical climate, rather than keeping stars by promising wages they can afford to pay - a terribly sad situation for the competition formerly known as La Liga de las Estrellas.

Radamel Falcao has joined Monaco for a €45 million fee after impressing with 28 La Liga goals for Atletico de Madrid last season. Roberto Soldado scored 24 goals for Valencia and Tottenham have recently signed him for €30 million. Alvaro Negredo, who netted 25 for Sevilla, now plays in Manchester after The Citizens agreed a transfer fee of €28 million. Other talented footballers such as Jesus Navas, Fernando Llorente or Iago Aspas have also left.

From a Barcelona fan perspective, weakened opposition should mean an easier ride to win the domestic league title. However, I feel the prospect of challenging for a trophy with the only realistic challenge coming from Real Madrid one that makes the competition far less attractive.

Don't get me wrong, beating Los Blancos would definitely be a tremendous achievement, especially after their conscientious effort to reinforce their squad by investing heavily once again. I am definitely looking forward to see Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo at their absolute best once again, competing to take their teams to top spot, most likely, also excelling on an individual basis.

Knowing that the whole world will be watching a two-horse race for the ultimate glory, however, does concern me. Personally, I believe that only a fairer distribution of collective revenue can ensure that La Liga continues to attract worldwide interest in coming years -- beyond the couple of highly-anticipated Clasicos, that is.

The days when teams such as Deportivo de la Coruna, Athletic de Bilbao, Real Sociedad or even Valencia were capable of lifting the ultimate trophy are, in theory, long gone. Witnessing Barcelona break the all-time points record last season was definitely enjoyable, but the fact that the main incentive for watching Spanish football was the battle for relegation is, in my eyes, just wrong.

Here is hoping for a surprise challenger to Barca and Madrid in the upcoming season and, from a more general perspective, a major rethink at club level so that the league can become a beacon for European football once again -- even if that means that Sandro Rosell and Florentino Perez have to give up some of their clubs' allocated resources.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=barcelona&id=1839

Good read. La Liga has fallen off and become a two team league.

EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Liga, in that order.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

your next trip there will be a champions league final, i saw england ireland there while ago, the place is over rated, im not a massive fan of new stadiums...

I agree.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

your next trip there will be a championship final, i saw england ireland there while ago, the place is over rated, im not a massive fan of new stadiums...

It couldn't be worse than the Emirates Stadium.