Comments

• Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good Kid Ma.a.d City and Food & Liqour
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its subjective. Its all in how you look at things.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with Food & Liquor not GKMC
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Outside of "College Dropout" it seems these two albums have gotten the most praise for Classic status. "Food and Liquor" is way closer than "GKMC" cause it's been 7 years. The only other album impact wise and quality wise would be "The Documentary" as far as Classic status from this generation for what it did for West Coast Hip Hop.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

Outside of "College Dropout" it seems these two albums have gotten the most praise for Classic status. "Food and Liquor" is way closer than "GKMC" cause it's been 7 years. The only other album impact wise and quality wise would be "The Documentary" as far as Classic status from this generation for what it did for West Coast Hip Hop.

I don't listen to Game at all but The Documentary is Classic in terms of Reviving the West Coast. But Food & Liqour is more of a Reasonable Doubt Classic didn't make too much of a Splash in terms of Impact but when it's looked back on would be considered Classic and GKMC had that Illmatic type response where it was recognized soon after dropping.

*Disclaimer for the Super Stans. I'm not saying either album is on that level but the type of response it received.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip-Hop elitist ass ? .
    Y'all ? must play Illmatic on repeat 24/7 or something.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Hip-Hop elitist ass ? .

like you Texas ? must pay zro 24/7
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    A looot of feelings being spilled in this piece lol
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    stew has right said Fred on repeat
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip-Hop elitist ass ? .

That's them "other" Texas ? .

Z-Ro hasn't made anything decent in like 7 years, but that's a different subject.

Yall old ? pick on the younger generation because you're all stuck in the past.
    That era is never coming back bruh.
    It's over.
    KRS-One isn't gonna bust in, with a superman cape on and save the day.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    Hip-Hop elitist ass ? .

That's them "other" Texas ? .

Z-Ro hasn't made anything decent in like 7 years, but that's a different subject.

Yall old ? pick on the younger generation because you're all stuck in the past.
    That era is never coming back bruh.
    It's over.
    KRS-One isn't gonna bust in, with a superman cape on and save the day.

I hate krs one.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic thing is all subjective anyway, it's been a few classic songs/mixtapes/albums imo
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know this current generation is ? when they're claiming that C-3PO sounding ass ? , Kendrick Lesbian, dropped a classic....no wonder you ? are a bunch of ? weirdos
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    The funny thing is that it don't matter how good Jay Elec's album will be because he can't qualify as younger generation when he's a 40 year old man and a 10 year vet in the game.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    I'm 30 years old. I grew up in 1990's west coast rap. ? don't understand the quality that hip hop needs to continue striving. Solo albums were just that, solo albums. Yea a few songs were features but features were at a minimum. An artist's album was a testament to his music. Nowadays there is no such thing as a solo album. Nowadays flooding the market with mixtapes diminishes the anticipation and quality of an album. Nowadays hip hop is full of gossip and being overly friendly with each other. The competition level is gone. Diss tracks used to be one of the main reasons fans looked forward to an album. ? used to be creative and original. Now everyone is a ? Damn carbon copy.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think the importance of having minimal features or not is a bit overrated
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm 30 years old. I grew up in 1990's west coast rap. ? don't understand the quality that hip hop needs to continue striving. Solo albums were just that, solo albums. Yea a few songs were features but features were at a minimum. An artist's album was a testament to his music. Nowadays there is no such thing as a solo album. Nowadays flooding the market with mixtapes diminishes the anticipation and quality of an album. Nowadays hip hop is full of gossip and being overly friendly with each other. The competition level is gone. Diss tracks used to be one of the main reasons fans looked forward to an album. ? used to be creative and original. Now everyone is a ? Damn carbon copy.

lol
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm still waiting on the day for somebody to truly define what a classic album is because it seems like the definition of a classic album changes depending on what album your talking about when it comes to some of yall.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

Wasn't The Chronic a damn Compilation Album?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

Wasn't The Chronic a damn Compilation Album?

The Chronic was meant to be a showcase of Deathrow's talent, not a Dr Dre solo album
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    The 25 and younger crew be bumpin the West Coast Classics channel on GTAV when the DJ dissin yalls generation or nah?
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cuz its about mixtapes and punchlines and gimmicks as opposed to albums, concepts and authenticity. ? be too worried about whats selling than what really moves them. older artists just went all the way in doing them and people caught up or passed by. thats just an indicator of the world.. a lot done changed in the past couple decades. people are different and of lesser quality IN GENERAL so of course ther artist class will reflect society at large... on another not.. more time got to pass to honestly ascertain what is classic or not out of this newer stuff...,its an overused and misused term like GOAT and "lost"
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick Lemar GKMC is a classic and I mean classic on some golden era 90s ish.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    Kendrick Lemar GKMC is a classic and I mean classic on some golden era 90s ish.

it's a good album, no doubt, it ain't no classic.