The Younger Generation has No Classic LPs

Options

Comments

• judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick Lemar GKMC is a classic and I mean classic on some golden era 90s ish.

it's a good album, no doubt, it ain't no classic.

its immature, pretentious and pseudo as ? tho.... kenny is nice but that ? really displayed his immaturity... think he regressed from section 80 in tone and content but took a step up in overall presentation... he coulda executed that concept waaaay better tho...
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »

its immature, pretentious and pseudo as ? tho.... kenny is nice but that ? really displayed his immaturity... think he regressed from section 80 in tone and content but took a step up in overall presentation... he coulda executed that concept waaaay better tho...

It was suppose to be told as his Younger Self.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well imo it is but what is it about gkmc that keeps it from being a classic in your opinion.

• QZA
    QZA Members Posts: 225 ✭✭
    Options
    Is classic really subjective in Hip Hop tho? If you look back, there are certain albums that you can't make a strong argument against in terms of their distinct status.. Albums like Illmatic, Paid in Full, The Great Adventures of Slick Rick, The Chronic etc. Only nitpicking lames try to discredit them.

I agree with GKMC being the closest of the new generation.
  • judahxulu
    Options

i know that lol... he tried to detail moments and "lessons" i.e. the growth..there was no growth...that concept was an empty shell but not carried all the way thru and cohesive like "sex packets" or the kirk jones piece sticky did... this current generation is just starved for good creative ? in general so he filled that void.. if creativity was an industry standard like it used to be then no way in hell would people be calling GKMC a classic...
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    QZA wrote: »
    Is classic really subjective in Hip Hop tho? .

yes, everybody dont like the same things, im not calling any album classic just cuz a bunch of writers/fans did in the 90's unless i actually think its classic to my ears, thats just me tho
  • kingofharts
    kingofharts Members Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Options

i know that lol... he tried to detail moments and "lessons" i.e. the growth..there was no growth...that concept was an empty shell but not carried all the way thru and cohesive like "sex packets" or the kirk jones piece sticky did... this current generation is just starved for good creative ? in general so he filled that void.. if creativity was an industry standard like it used to be then no way in hell would people be calling GKMC a classic...

In terms of the growth, you never know: he may go like Janelle Monae and continue the concept on his next album? But devil's advocate, if the album is a moment in time piece, why would it need to show growth if that wasn't the subject's state?

Anyhow for my money, GKMC, Below the Heaven's, and Kanye's first are classics.

Also, stripped down versions of Big Krit's and J Cole's early mixtapes released as CDs would've have been also. But that's what ifs.

• clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options

Why do you even bother responding to him hes one of the biggest trolls on here everything with him is "eff this,eff that, real n*ggaz all day,just me by myself,on the IC holding it down"
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wack music is wack music ....the new generation been making wack music
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options

Well imo it is but what is it about gkmc that keeps it from being a classic in your opinion.

I dig the storytelling in the album. I dig his lyrics. But to me the album doesn't flow properly. He seems out of place for Compton, as weird as that sounds, the album is like a nerdy ? telling street tales he seen. And I can dig that, he's being him. but it just seems out of place
  • Gen. Stasia
    edited September 2013
    Options

I dig the storytelling in the album. I dig his lyrics. But to me the album doesn't flow properly. He seems out of place for Compton, as weird as that sounds, the album is like a nerdy ? telling street tales he seen. And I can dig that, he's being him. but it just seems out of place

How is it out of Place if he's being him? And he's far from telling "Street Tales". The Story isn't even Street. U probably don't relate because it's for this Younger Generation but the Story is very relatable.
  • Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I started this thread because the younger generation needs to be held accountable for the downfall of an American art form.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What year did this "younger generation" start in hip hop?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    He's from Compton, talkin bout ? ? 's, snatchin ? outta cars and shoot outs. How is that not street?

I know thats not the only thing....
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hip hop elitists complaining about what young ? doin is whats wrong with hip hop
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I'm beginning to think y'all missed the point in my statement
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    He's from Compton, talkin bout ? ? 's, snatchin ? outta cars and shoot outs. How is that not street?

No the actual Story is of him not being Street but him being different with his Friends (Art of Peer Pressure) and when he's going to check a girl getting his ass beat then he goes to retaliate then in result of his Brother/homie getting killed.

When I think of street tales I'm thinking Reasonable Doubt or OB4CL not Kendrick's album named GOOD Kid m.A.A.d City.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Lol @ GKMC not being a classic. U ? are delusional.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

No the actual Story is of him not being Street but him being different with his Friends (Art of Peer Pressure) and when he's going to check a girl getting his ass beat then he goes to retaliate then in result of his Brother/homie getting killed.

When I think of street tales I'm thinking Reasonable Doubt or OB4CL not Kendrick's album named GOOD Kid m.A.A.d City.

I see what you're saying but it is "street" related. Its the Compton way.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    can anyone name like 10 classics in this current era?

i think the last classic album i heard was Kanye's MBDTF

I don't think that album is Classic. Kanye only classics to me is Late Registration and College Dropout.

And the New Generation just arrived ? just got 2 albums in.... There was like a 6 year grace period of One Hit wonders inHip Hop.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

I see what you're saying but it is "street" related. Its the Compton way.

Most Hip Hop is street related. Like Joe Budden has street related content but he's not a Street Rapper and never claims to be ong. Only Street dude out of TDE music wise is Jay rock and Maybe School Boy Q but Kendrick and Ab soul isn't street at all.
  • judahxulu
    Options

In terms of the growth, you never know: he may go like Janelle Monae and continue the concept on his next album? But devil's advocate, if the album is a moment in time piece, why would it need to show growth if that wasn't the subject's state?

Anyhow for my money, GKMC, Below the Heaven's, and Kanye's first are classics.

Also, stripped down versions of Big Krit's and J Cole's early mixtapes released as CDs would've have been also. But that's what ifs.

meh...with the current state of the biz i overstand the need to make him this eras rap jesus but nah... being with dre helped his pockets but now hes stuck... just watch
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited September 2013
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    What year did this "younger generation" start in hip hop?
    This is the 15 to 25 year old deographic. Which is the taste making and trend setting demographic for music and fashion .