Interstellar (2014)(Christopher Nolan) - Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway & Sir Michael Caine

Options

Comments

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    looks boring, ill wait for some feedback
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gonna go see it tomorrow at the Lincoln square imax. They brought back the film projector just for this movie
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So his films are getting longer in running time with each one he releases?

I'll give him the benefit of doubt 'cos 'big budget' Nolan compared to 'low budget' Nolan hasn't lived up IMO (Inception for all its hype wasn't that an interesting film to me.. .)
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Friday IMAX booked.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Mixed reviews. Hmmmmm..
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shemite wrote: »
    Will Matthew McCaughnehey be driving a Lincoln onto other planets while staring off into space and reminiscing of old times to find ways to sustain life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQvgyt8fjBE
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shemite wrote: »
    Will Matthew McCaughnehey be driving a Lincoln onto other planets while staring off into space and reminiscing of old times to find ways to sustain life?

"Sometimes......in order to find a planet that can sustain human life for generations...you gotta head home first and pack your bags. Think about your children that you're fighting to help..you gotta help yourself...*Transcendent music plays in the background*
  • eyes low
    Options
    Don't waste your money on this. Such a terrible movie the last half hour is the dumbest ? I ever watched. I wasted 3 hrs of my life don't make the same mistake
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's got pretty positive reviews, 74% on RT although that's on the low end for Nolan and on the low end for McConaughey's recent work.

But judging from the previews it seems pretty obvious McConaughey dies especially since it has to fast forward in time quite a bit for Casey Affleck and Jessica Chastain to be playing his kids.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    It's got pretty positive reviews, 74% on RT although that's on the low end for Nolan and on the low end for McConaughey's recent work.

But judging from the previews it seems pretty obvious McConaughey dies especially since it has to fast forward in time quite a bit for Casey Affleck and Jessica Chastain to be playing his kids.

Bruh i never noticed that man spoiler that ? you ? boy
  • eyes low
    Options
    If u watch it in imax it's pretty cool bc the scenes they shot in imax were amazing but story wise this ? was terrible. Nolan fell off 2 subpar movies in a row
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    Rampage12 wrote: »

Bruh i never noticed that man spoiler that ? you ? boy

I wouldn't consider needing to put it in a spoiler since every review you read will say that Affleck and Chastain play McConaughey's kids ? .

Also in the preview that's all over TV Michael Caine clearly says "are you willing to die to save humanity"
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    4 out of 5 stars in some major media publications here in Britain.. so it might not be bad after all
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    personally the film didn't do much for me it just lacked a wow factor which i expect from a movie of this magnitude.'Gravity' managed to impress me a lot more within 90 mins than this did in 3 hours.As much as i admired the ambition less would have been more here.a whole portion of the film which descends into cliche could have been left out
    the inclusion of matt damon's character

wouldn't say i was disappointed, but i certainly wouldn't watch it again in a hurry.

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interstellar: To Insipidness and Beyond

Christopher Nolan crashes and burns, but the Hawking biopic Theory of Everything takes off.

interstellararticle.jpg

The movie year has now peaked — but not with Interstellar. It’s the back-to-back openings of masterpieces by Alain Resnais (Life of Riley) and Jean-Luc Godard (Goodbye to Language) that outclass all other new films. Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar is just a dull, galumphing white elephant that reminds us what a trap commercial cinema has become for gullible consumers. It’s a pre-sold “Event,” the kind audiences no longer question because all media obediently participate in its promotion.

Not a visionary, Nolan plays one at the movies: He knows how to game the system. Since his sub-Resnais time-tricks in 1998’s Memento, Nolan (co-writing with his brother Jonathan) has aced Hollywood’s geek appeal. These British boys still share adolescent sci-fi fantasies but inflate them with “deep thoughts” (read that the way Frankie Pentangeli says “Big deals!” in The Godfather, Part II): Farmer Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) and his Midwestern family struggle during an apocalyptic dust storm, but he can’t shake his astronaut past and stumbles upon a secret NASA project (the Lazarus Mission) to explore other planets in order to escape Earth’s ecological crisis.

This hackneyed conceit proves the Nolan brothers perfect drones in a wasteful industry devoted to recycling already familiar concepts — whether comic-book superheroes or space travel — that the Nolans taint with juvenile cynicism. From the all-American nickname Coop, a widower with two kids chasing military aircraft through a cornfield, to speculation about ghosts that shifts into a two-year space mission towards Saturn with a talking computer alongside, Nolan piles up clichés like no director since the now unpopular M. Night Shyamalan. (The real template for Interstellar is not 2001: A Space Odyssey but Signs.) To recycle that old rock-critic syllogism: If I don’t need Shyamalan teaching me how to enjoy Spielberg why should I let Nolan teach me how to watch Shyamalan?

Nolan’s a depressive Shyamalan who traffics in doomsday scenarios, catering to Millennial pessimists. “Isn’t science about admitting what we don’t know?” Coop’s daughter asks, but Interstellar lacks awe. Nolan’s imagination is so cramped he can’t depict natural American vastness comparable to Albert Whitlock’s memorable F/X dust storm in Bound for Glory. He opens with a Reds-style old-folks doc to evoke senility and Depression-era gloom, eventually leading to a cosmic odyssey of murder, death, anguish, and pseudo-scientific gobbledygook. Dark Knights in Orbit. There’s no spiritual quest; it all lacks edifying, Christian love. Interstellar’s first cosmic image of the Earth as orb is accompanied by a pointless Hans Zimmer ? chord, but it’s visually unimpressive — Nolan doesn’t know how to do majestic. Unlike Godard, Resnais, Spielberg, or Kubrick, he doesn’t have a cinematic eye.

Nolan sure is a nihilist, though. His scenario, “The last people to starve will be first to suffocate,” offers typically dire teenage imagining. The closest he gets to religion is when Coop rescues a stranded astronaut (uh, oh, Matt Damon — prepare for secular point-making). Damon’s Astronaut Mann enthuses, “You have literally raised me from the dead.” Insightful Coop responds: “Lazurus.” Not really, guys. This weak pass at Significance goes nowhere. Mann’s real, contradictory purpose is his murderous proclamation: “We are the future!” (Read that also like Frankie Pentangeli saying “Big Deals!”) This mad pronouncement reverses Man of Steel’s Jor-El story and trades its Moses/Christ evocation for Dark Knight nihilism.

Nihilism has become a mere box-office reflex for Nolan — a joke that finally undermines Interstellar when Nolan goes soft (“Love transcends dimensions of time and space,” self-pitying Coop learns). Confused? It was evident from the Dark Knight films that Nolan had no clear idea what he wanted to say; now he just gets maudlin. This sap must be nihilism’s flip side; an equally vacuous, corrupt manipulation. And what has moved critics to Titanic/Avatar levels of hyperbole is that Nolan’s loud, flat, gigantic apparatus revives yuppie privilege: “When you’re a parent, you’re a ghost for your children’s future.”

Interstellar never explores colonization, good vs. evil, or metaphysics — not even when Coop gives a watch to his petulant daughter Murph (Mackenzie Foy); she tosses the memento in anger, not faith like the rejection of Time in Borzage’s great spiritual tearjerker Three Comrades. Nolan’s parent-child premise becomes a Benjamin Button farce (with Ellen Burstyn reprising her cameo as old Murph from the seniors doc at another point in the film). It lacks the cross-generational, cross-time resonance of that good Jim Caveziel–Dennis Quaid film, Frequency. Brian DePalma’s outward-looking cosmos-politan affirmation in Mission to Mars gets refuted by Nolan’s nuclear-family solipsism. And at the crucial juncture when adult Murph’s (Jessica Chastain) last-ditch efforts to save her family are contrasted with Coop’s, Nolan forgets to intercut the two stories, dragging out another hour. So long panache, adios to “genius.”

Critics who follow weak praise for Goodbye to Language with hosannas for Interstellar are disingenuous. You can’t celebrate Godard’s rigorous, ecstatic examination of art and morality and then lead audiences to Nolan’s trite, overblown, unbeautiful, and non-resonant epic. One’s for movie-lovers, the other’s for sheep. When Godard says goodbye to language, the culture represented by Interstellar is what he means.

How will Nolanoids, who think Interstellar’s mix of scientific babble and saccharine is “thought-provoking,” handle The Theory of Everything? This Stephen Hawking bio-pic, where the astrophysicist’s motor neuron disease is battled through help from his wife Jane, believably confronts science and faith. Cambridge cosmology student Hawking calls his study “religion for atheists” while arts major Jane is a Church of England devout.

The couple’s emotional affinities overcome philosophical differences and practical hardships more frightening than geeky “apocalypse,” a spectacle without digital effects. It succeeds through the performers’ tasteful, impressive skills. Eddie Redmayne’s boyish suffering is a DeNiro/Day-Lewis-level feat but with a flirty squint all his and Hawking’s own. Felicity Jones’s commitment is gently intense, like a comely young Celia Johnson with depths (anger, ardency) behind her eyes. Her faith is strength despite being given short shrift by Anthony McCarten’s script. But romantic and religious fervor combine, which director James Marsh keeps on track — without going on sci-fi-blockbuster tangents to insipidness and beyond. The Theory of Everything (from Hawking’s quest to find a “simple, eloquent equation to explain everything”) is good enough to encourage Nolanoids to grow up.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't post spoiler filled reviews in here man when the majority of people haven't even seen it yet.
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw it. I liked the movie, but not nearly as much as I wanted to.

I wanted to love it, and never got there.

The last part of the film...I think I understand what happened, but it all seemed condensed, contrived, and not nearly as explained as it should have been. And just weird as ? .

There were a lot of things I would have understood happening when Cooper
    entered the black hole
    but what happened wasn't one of them. Some kind of ?
    cosmic library
    in this ? ?

Aside from that, it was cool. Never got me to where I expected it to take me, but still enjoyed. 7.5-8/10.

I still don't get time dilation, I mean why it exists and how. I read the theories, I heard the explanations, but I don't understand that ? at all. It makes no sense to me.

• CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the only nolan movies i really liked are the prestige and inception
    didnt love his batman vision, and havnt really seen his first two. the movies tend to be dull and depressing.
    still wanna see interstellar tho
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw it last night - there were definitely moments that left me amazed, gasped and even emotional at times. I'm still deciding on a whole about the film, but I could see this being reevaluated in a decades time and being regarded as some kind of 'sci-fi classic'.
  • Zirconium
    Zirconium Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Options
    Saw it last night - there were definitely moments that left me amazed, gasped and even emotional at times. I'm still deciding on a whole about the film, but I could see this being reevaluated in a decades time and being regarded as some kind of 'sci-fi classic'.

Word for word. =D>
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I loved it! The power of Nolans imagination always leaves me stunned. Absolutely brilliant. He has done it again.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    the only nolan movies i really liked are the prestige and inception
    didnt love his batman vision, and havnt really seen his first two. the movies tend to be dull and depressing.
    still wanna see interstellar tho

I enjoyed Following. A bit arty bit still a good film. Depends what kind of films you appreciate.

Memento is a great film.
    I have the DVD where you can watch it in reverse.
    <-- You'll understand why you'd want to do that if you've seen it. Great either way you watch it.
  • Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got back from the Smithsonian l,(only black couple there my girl was a little uncomfortable) it was dope the end was wild but I enjoyed it. IMAX is the way to go.