NBA Draft Rule: One and Done - Debate

Options

Comments

• MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @themadlionsfan‌ Telfair prolly made $15m in the league I'm suppose to feel sorry for dude?
    He was going to be a bust regardless. Stop trying to save teams and players from themselves. Allow people the right to fail.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Lmao at getting a education.

A lot of these dudes is dumb.

If they are dumb what better place to be than at an institute of higher leaning.
    They all can't go to nba.

Why not learn how to read, write, articulate your thoughts, etc in the process of playing basketball?

Can't force them to take advantage of the opportunity but if they are willing to sit on a college campus for 2-4 yrs and learn nothing then they are indeed dumb for that. Unfortunately too many of them do just that but my point is the opportunity is there. It's up to them to capitalize on it.

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @themadlionsfan‌ Telfair prolly made $15m in the league I'm suppose to feel sorry for dude?
    He was going to be a bust regardless. Stop trying to save teams and players from themselves. Allow people the right to fail.

Feel sorry for Telfair?!?!.....how the hell did u get that from my response?!...lol.....my point is when you have too many youngins coming into the league it dilutes the product.....I quite frankly couldn't careless what the NBA. Decides because like millions of other people in this country......I stopped givin a ? about the NBA once the talent pool started to get shallow
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    d.green wrote: »

If they are dumb what better place to be than at an institute of higher leaning.

Why not learn how to read, write, articulate your thoughts, etc in the process of playing basketball?

Can't force them to take advantage of the opportunity but if they are willing to sit on a college campus for 2-4 yrs and learn nothing then they are indeed dumb for that. Unfortunately too many of them do just that but my point is the opportunity is there. It's up to them to capitalize on it.

I don't think u understand how this ? works...lol
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lmao sometimes good grades are given to them
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    d.green wrote: »

Lmao

Bruh. Them ? wouldn't make past 1 semester.

They would fail out and get the scholarship snatched with the quickness.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BDB wrote: »
    I always been a fan of baseball's rules. If they want to decide to go straight from HS they should be allowed to. As I look at it as going straight into the work force. The charade of going to school for basically a semester and half then to the league is phony IMO.

But if they do decide to go to school there should be minimal amount of time that they have to stay. Even if the NBA doesn't want to do the 3 year rule like baseball they should be able to at least 2 yrs.

I was about to post this.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's ? up is they complain about the young guys coming in not ready but how many seniors nd juniors are getting drafted high
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Larry Scott Pac-12 Commissioner
    "Our feeling is that the one-and-done phenomenon is very detrimental to the essential academic mission of our universities," Scott said. "The phenomenon is short changing the vast majority of our student-athletes who receive scholarships to Pac-12 universities as a huge transformative opportunity in their life."

Charles Barkley
    “The draft is designed for bad teams to get better, not to draft somebody who might be good in five years…Look at the NBA. We have a lot of bad teams, a lot of bad teams. They’re supposed to get someone who can help them, not a project. And that’s why the NBA sucks right now.”

Disclaimer: This isn't a knock at the commission Adam Silver or what he inherited from Stern. He's the boss and with the players they can legislate the minimum labor requirement.These are my feelings on the media and the idiots who criticize 19-20 yr olds for doing something they themselves would overwhelmingly do.

My thoughts:
    We live in a society that preaches personal responsibility for adults. Whether we like it, these youtes should be treated like men, if they impregnated a bish he'd be required to pay child support. If one of them shot one of the Migos it'd be "dey dey go!"

Why save teams or players from making mistakes? Forget the NCAA is ? these kids at major conferences, amateurism is a sham. Deadspin says Aaron Harrisons shot made the coaching staff 329k.

http://deadspin.com/aaron-harrisons-game-winner-made-329-166-for-his-coac-1555196820

Some would argue that teams have to babysit players for the first few years of their contract and that the league is worse off because a lot of players can't contribute and aren't ready. The real reason that the league is bad outside of maybe 12 watchable teams is because there are too many teams. The talent pool is diluted. Contract 2 teams, you want names? Charlotte, Milwaukee gone. Move Sacramento to Seattle.

If GMs and players fail so be it. If Telfair can't handle the what 15-20million he's made playing in the NBA then it's his fault why try to save him? If Telfair wants to go to school after he washes out in Europe or wherever is he is, it's on him.

Add on, tell me where I'm wrong..

if the ncaa isn't full of ? and really wants to keep kids in college there are a few things they need to change to make it happen
    1) change college rules to nba rules so the transition is seamless. no more college stars to nba role players
    2) maintain elligibility for players after draft rights. you see how euro players get drafted and stay over there till they feel ready? do that ? over here. let a freshman declare for the draft, if he gets drafted the team should then have the right to retain his rights but leave him as a student athlete (no scholarship needed, upon draft the nba should be given the players college bill)
    3) and here is the halfway option, if option 2 isn't right for college the nba needs to impliment its D league better. the ? D stands for development. if they can't go back to school send em to the D league to finish a season or 2. you keep draft rights, they get paid. win-win
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ this seems like the pragmatic solution - Invest in the D-League.

"Ahh we wish we could've had him at 19-20, he's developed so many bad habits" -what GMs would say if prospects had to do 4 years.
  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Bulletproof Wallets Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    allow them to go straight from HS and if they go the school route, they should stay for three

Don't like either of those options, go overseas

I would say 2 years, but I think this is a good idea.
  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Bulletproof Wallets Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How about giving the high school kids NON guaranteed contracts???
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    They did a study showing players that leave after their first year vs leaving their second.

Players that leaves after their second year 80% of them is bench players

The players that came after after their first year most of them start.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think they should be required to wait at all, if they don't want to go to college, they either get drafted or they don't, tomorrow isn't promised. Folks be telling these kinds to stay in school longer, but then the kid ends up looking real stupid when they get a career ending injury while in college, when they could have at least banked a mil during their first year in the NBA.

I think it would also help if the NCAA pulled back on some of their strict rules, and allowed athletes who don't get drafted to attend and play at a D1 school.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Staying in college doesn't prepare you for the NBA. The college game and NBA game are totally different, plus all the time you have to use going to class and the like can be used improving your body/game.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    The old system worked fine to me: let it be a free for all and have there be no college requirement. The cautionary tales are there. The busts are there. If these kids think they can make it, let em try. The effect on the college game should have NOTHING to do with this decison, so thats the biggest case of hypocrisy ever.

Most important in all this, you CANNOT have this argument without adressing this fact:

players now become 'NBA ready' at a younger age(not better overall). Thank AAU and HS kids playing national schedules.

See Melo, See Durant, see Kyrie Irving, see Anthony Davis, and most importantly guys like Eric Bledsoe and Drummond. I say them b/c they were clay, completely raw and unproven coming out after 1 yr, and in less than 3 years (less than 2 for Drummond) they are in place as potential all stars.

So you can no longer say 'only the elite can leave early'. So you can no longer tell either the players OR the GM's that drafting on potential doesnt work. The argument has changed.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nobody would give a ? if they dropped out to work at the dollar general so what's the big deal if they drop out and play in the nba.
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2 years in college than come out.

the game of basketball is more than just having skillz. these katz can dunk a ball and average 30 points in high school but do not know how to run a simple pick n roll or defend it. They will not learn that in the pro game, or have the maturity to deal with a vet who doesn't have the skill they have but knows how to play in a the men's league.

there is a reason why it's a "men league". Men play it, men are mature enough to play it. Coming out of h.s. most of these katz aint ready. Plus and Doc Rivers said this, there is not enough time in the pros for practice or to show these kids anything. They learn it at the college and H.S. level (they should)

i coach AAU ball for 8th grades, please...i seen some of the most talented kids play, I had a kid who was only in 7th had raw talent, could shoot the nba 3 like it was nothing. Even my wifey was impressed with him and she hates watching sports..

one game he played this team, who was completely schooled in how to play bball(the right way), they did nothing fancy at all and when he went up against the other teams point guard, he looked like trash. He was more skilled than the other teams point guard hands down but dude knew nothing about defense, got caught flat footed almost every time on the most basic of moves and dude went right around him everytime.

yeah not everyone will be cut-out for the pros, my point is a lot of these dudes "mind aint right" to be jumping from h.s./1st of college to the pros.

and we all get used in america....who you think you work for, look who you pay your taxes too...

? you go to college you get a free education and a gate way to the pros..so the f what m.krzyzewski (i sure as hell did googled his name-cuz i couldnt spell it) gets another 3 mill extended on his contract. Do what you suppose to do, you gonna see that kind of money plus more..

• Shizlansky
    Options
    You get better playing with pros not college players.

That's a fact.

I don't get why you can't understand that.
  • ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options

That's a fact.

word?

hasheem thabeet
    darko milicic
    stromile swift
    k.brown
    jonathan ?
    Darius Miles
    Telfair
    C.J. Miles

i can go on?

any sport is more mental than physical talent.
  • ghost!
    Options
    adam morrison and christen laettner will like to let you know, they had better careers in college than in the pros.
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So you could join the army and risk your life at 18 but gotta get an "education" before you could make millions.America the land of the free.
  • ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options
    MrJR wrote: »
    So you could join the army and risk your life at 18 but gotta get an "education" before you could make millions.America the land of the free.

1st off all, i aint about the education because you can always go back. i.e vince carter

and 2nd, if memory services me correctly..you need to past "training" to be a marine or navy seal, i'm sure it's like that for all our military branches..not everyone is cut out for the army or makes the army, just like playing professional sports.

you dont have to go into the army, "you choose to" and the nba, nfl and nhl are all private organizations; they can make whatever rule they want up.

what the hell is so bad about going to college. You do get a "free" educations so if your dreams fail you can have something to fall back on. A lot of these jobs now are requiring you to have a college education.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can we stop saying they getting free educations because that's not entirely true
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »

That's a fact.

word?

hasheem thabeet
    darko milicic
    stromile swift
    k.brown
    jonathan ?
    Darius Miles
    Telfair
    C.J. Miles

i can go on?

any sport is more mental than physical talent.

Everybody can't be a star.

That's in any sport.