NBA Draft Rule: One and Done - Debate

Options

Comments

• ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    ericb4prez wrote: »
    Can we stop saying they getting free educations because that's not entirely true

elaborate?
  • ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Everybody can't be a star.

That's in any sport.

Your orig statement was..they will get better playing in the pros. .i gave u a list of players that say otherwise And aren't even in the league anymore (thabeet is there)

N these teams, gms(their jobs count on it), and players all count on being stars...u don't go into the draft trying to get drafted high not to be...

Also it's one thing if u aren't a star n still serviceable, there's another if you aren't even in the league at all AFTER getting drafted high.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »
    Can we stop saying they getting free educations because that's not entirely true

elaborate?

First and foremost it's not like they got a scholarship out of thin air for no reason and they are expected to work it off (play ball) so in that regard it wasn't free and some Of those scholarships aren't even full rides and they still end up owing thousands of dollars to the school jus not as much as the normal student
  • ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options

elaborate?

First and foremost it's not like they got a scholarship out of thin air for no reason and they are expected to work it off (play ball) so in that regard it wasn't free and some Of those scholarships aren't even full rides and they still end up owing thousands of dollars to the school jus not as much as the normal student

wow...you have to keep your scholarship by actually playing ball!? that's work!?!?, come on, i would almost see your point if you spoke about them maintaining their grades which that ain't hard either since A LOT of them take bullsh*t courses.

and it's free enough, more than the average person having to take out loans...and if they make it to the pros, those "thousands of dollars" are paid right back right away...come on man...
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Everybody can't be a star.

That's in any sport.

Your orig statement was..they will get better playing in the pros. .i gave u a list of players that say otherwise And aren't even in the league anymore (thabeet is there)

N these teams, gms(their jobs count on it), and players all count on being stars...u don't go into the draft trying to get drafted high not to be...

Also it's one thing if u aren't a star n still serviceable, there's another if you aren't even in the league at all AFTER getting drafted high.

I bet all them dudes could and would destroy any ? in college after being in the pros for three years.

I heard Hilton Armstrong put that work on Drummond in a pre draft workout.

After a cpl years in the league Drummond > Armstrong.

Point of the story is he got better player against better players.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    What can a player learn in cowherd that he can't learn in the pros?

NBA coaches > College coaches
  • Shizlansky
    Options
  • ericb4prez
    Options

elaborate?

wow...you have to keep your scholarship by actually playing ball!? that's work!?!?, come on, i would almost see your point if you spoke about them maintaining their grades which that ain't hard either since A LOT of them take bullsh*t courses.

and it's free enough, more than the average person having to take out loans...and if they make it to the pros, those "thousands of dollars" are paid right back right away...come on man...

Free and free enough aren't the same thing and how do you know how easy it is for them to maintain good grades when you don't know the individuals mental capacity and you said if they make it to the pros they can pay them back key word is IF
  • ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options
    What can a player learn in cowherd that he can't learn in the pros?

NBA coaches > College coaches

i just broke it down to you, you refused to listen.

1. doc rivers said, in the pros, there is lack of practice time, so for the younger players that will need that extra time for plays and coaching in general they won't get it.

2. sports in general is more mental than physical. younger athletes are not more mature than nba vets. didnt say stupid, said mature.

3. it's not about college coaches not being better (and i'm sure krzyzewski is better than a lot of the nba coaches of today..) Brad Stevens was once a college coach, this is his first year in the pros so all of sudden cuz he coaches in the nba he is better than the rest of the college coaches out there now?

4. college coaches help usher these young men into men. NBA pro coaches shouldn't have to

you look for your boss at your job to help you become a responsible adult?
  • ghost!
    Options

I bet all them dudes could and would destroy any ? in college after being in the pros for three years.

I heard Hilton Armstrong put that work on Drummond in a pre draft workout.

After a cpl years in the league Drummond > Armstrong.

Point of the story is he got better player against better players.

So what???

is Drummond out there helping a team win an nba championship? I'm sure a G.M. is sitting there like words, I drafted Drummond to whip up on a college players, i'm sure my owner is happy about that(sarcasm)! Not a good point at all.

on top of the fact it's been establish that college players/young men- can not handle men/vets (no ? ) on the court..why you think the NBA katz are in the olympic now??

Euro katz were whipping college players and more then 1/2 ARENT IN THE NBA..
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    You do know its a set amount of hours a player can practice in college right so what doc saying is irrevelent.

They have class to worry about.

In the league you can hire a trainer to help you get better. It's no set amount of hours.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NBA wants college to market the players before they get to the league. Reality is that there are too many teams in the nba, talent is diluted. League would be nicer if it had 24-26 teams, and like 70 games.
    I just don't get why people criticize 19-20 years for trying to make money. If they're a bust, so be it, people get fired all the time with severance. If they blow their money so be it, go work a 9-5. Stop trying to protect teams and players. Failures are inevitable.
  • ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options
    You do know its a set amount of hours a player can practice in college right so what doc saying is irrelevant.

In the league you can hire a trainer to help you get better. It's no set amount of hours.

so you telling me the word of a professional coach makes no sense to you?

No matter what the "set amount of hours" are....they are still developing their skillz, and have the time to do it as oppose to the pros like a pro coach stated...

they can hire "trainers" and "all type of special coaching" but yet a lot of these players are bust, right? and the debate very arguable right?? emmm why is that? Maybe cuz the "one and done" isn't panning out as much.

no matter how you slice it, no damn G.M. is gonna risk their job continually to draft under developed players "who may never become a star, just be good"

owners are more than likely getting tired of investing millions on "potentials" who do not plan out....and when you think about those circumstances...(especially since it aint your millions) it's more than understandable, and not "unlawful" or "f'ed up" to tell a h.s. kat to stay 2 years in college....(those poor babies..sacrasm)

Free and free enough aren't the same thing and how do you know how easy it is for them to maintain good grades when you don't know the individuals mental capacity and you said if they make it to the pros they can pay them back key word is IF[/quote]

the terms you describe is still ALOT BETTER like i said than having to pay out on school loans, like us katz who do not have that type of talent. Do not try to skew the definition of "free educations" you splitting hairs and all the while there is nothing bad about getting a scholarship to play ball..so cause it's not "free educations" by your nick picking definition they should skip college and play ball in the pros? Cause that is the true argument of this thread, not the exact definition of "free education"

and it's obvious you do not listen to sport radio or pick up a pro athletes tell all books. There has been plenty of athletes who said their classes in college weren't ish....not everything college athlete, but enough from me to make my accurate enough statement.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    You do know its a set amount of hours a player can practice in college right so what doc saying is irrelevant.

so you telling me the word of a professional coach makes no sense to you?

No matter what the "set amount of hours" are....they are still developing their skillz...no matter how you slice it, no damn G.M. is gonna risk their job continually to draft under developed players "who may never become a star, just be good"

makes no sense. you acting like staying in college for 2 years is a bad thing...

That can be achieve at the next level against better players better coaches better trainers.

You max out your potential faster vs better players.

• ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options
    NBA wants college to market the players before they get to the league. Reality is that there are too many teams in the nba, talent is diluted. League would be nicer if it had 24-26 teams, and like 70 games.
    I just don't get why people criticize 19-20 years for trying to make money. If they're a bust, so be it, people get fired all the time with severance. If they blow their money so be it, go work a 9-5. Stop trying to protect teams and players. Failures are inevitable.

i agree there are too many teams, but the nba will NEVER subject teams because it's about money; they do not care about the fans in that way, just ways on how to make the product cash flow increase.

and not one person has criticized any h.s. kid, i never heard anyone said Kwame Brown is a stupid person for going into the nba..but i heard, "a lot of these players do not pan out and it seems they would benefit if they stayed a little longer in school... (obviously it helps the NCAA out...but this is america; capitalization )

i dont get why you guys are so offended by that. nobody said they will never play pro ball. ish if they meant to be a pro, they will still become one and make millions....

and the rest of your statement honestly is asinine and not the attitude to have if you are a billion dollar company..so no damn C.E.O is ever gonna saying if they dont pan out, so what; they can just go ger a 9-5 job?!?!?

2r61hrt.jpg
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Instead of going to college they should go to the d league if their true goal is to play basketball.

Let's be honest. A lot of these dudes that has nba talent can't go to college and if y'all think they can you are truly mistaken.

• ericb4prez
    Options
    If the thread aint about free education then why do people bring it up... Bottom line an average student who can't hoop but wants to go on to higher learning most likely isn't getting a "free" ride to school but if that same student got a smooth jump shot he gets in "free" that's what I'm trying to get you to understand ain't nothin free spending 40k to let Jabari play for me and in turn generating millions ain't nothing but the corporate way of flipping drugs
  • ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Instead of going to college they should go to the d league if their true goal is to play basketball.

Let's be honest. A lot of these dudes that has nba talent can't go to college and if y'all think they can you are truly mistaken.

tim duncan
    damian lillard
    kevin love
    russell westbrook
    steph. curry
    ???

they were in college for 2 or more years? I do not understand why should go into the D league, not one person has given me a bad reason why college for these players are bad? Why Cause they do not make any money?

You arent b*tching about the age limit in the nfl? There is an age limit to drink, to be officially an adult, to rent a car....so what if there will be another age limit to go to the NBA. you still will watching whether they came from college or not. I'm sure the NBA is more pleasurable to watch with better teams, then what the garbage that has been on the court lately...the East is bare trash!!
    If the thread aint about free education then why do people bring it up... Bottom line an average student who can't hoop but wants to go on to higher learning most likely isn't getting a "free" ride to school but if that same student got a smooth jump shot he gets in "free" that's what I'm trying to get you to understand ain't nothin free spending 40k to let Jabari play for me and in turn generating millions ain't nothing but the corporate way of flipping drugs

it's not the whole argument (thats what you so-far made it to be), it's a point, and your issue with a "free ride" seems more of a social issue, than a sports issue. Who gets a "free ride" is how they get a free ride; it is how it is, and how it has been in america for years/decades (some corp. brothers got to benefit from "free rides") ..i do not see what's the belly ache about..want a "free ride how ever you wanna look at it"? excel in school whether hitting the books or hitting the courts...

i'm out
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

tim duncan
    damian lillard
    kevin love
    russell westbrook

they were in college for 2 or more years? I do understand why should they go into the D league, not one person has given me a bad reason why college for these players are bad? Why Cause they do not make any money?

exactly... why is that difficult to digest? they are being exploited by the NCAA...
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    If a player's tryna get better, they have to play better competition. When a 9th grader is bussin all the other JV kid's ? , you move him up to varsity so he can play against better players. By the time he's in 12th grade, he's already used to the environment. You don't just leave him playing people he's already better than because he's not getting better playing inferior opponents.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Options

tim duncan
    damian lillard
    kevin love
    russell westbrook
    steph. curry
    ???

Kevin Love was a one and done
  • ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Kevin Love was a one and done

ok, replace w LaMarcus Aldridge; 2yrs in college....

exactly... why is that difficult to digest? they are being exploited by the NCAA...

ha ha...and? NCAA is still a gate-way to the pros...they still get t.v. shine and become famous enough on campus..and you think h.s. don't exploit them? you think AAU doesnt exploit them?

and the NBA aint exploiting them...they give them millions and the min. they brake their leg, there goes their dreams and the nba could give a f about them after...(in a sense)

again it's America we all are bring used. You own your business? like i said, and who you pay your taxes to?
  • ghost!
    edited April 2014
    Options
    If a player's tryna get better, they have to play better competition. When a 9th grader is bussin all the other JV kid's ? , you move him up to varsity so he can play against better players. By the time he's in 12th grade, he's already used to the environment. You don't just leave him playing people he's already better than because he's not getting better playing inferior opponents.

better comp yes helps produce a better player, but there are also plenty of players who can "buss ? in JV" but the varsity speed they can't or not ready for.....and h.s. ball j.v. and varsity is not on the same level as playing in a "men's league"

keyword: Men's league. obviously there are younger katz that can handle it.

edit:
    sorry came back.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Options

better comp yes helps produce a better player, but there are also plenty of players who can "buss ? in JV" but the varsity speed they can't or not ready for.....and h.s. ball j.v. and varsity is not on the same level as playing in a "men's league"

keyword: Men's league. obviously there are younger katz that can handle it.

edit:
    sorry came back.

Explain to me how college basketball gets you ready for the NBA when offensive/defensive schemes, coaching, travel, how you spend your down-time, and the business element are totally different.
  • ghost!
    Options
    Explain to me how college basketball gets you ready for the NBA when offensive/defensive schemes, coaching, travel, how you spend your down-time, and the business element are totally different.

sports is more mental than physical talent....

as you are in college and "learning in general to become an adult" the same applies to college sports. the experience in "big time college" programs better prepares you for the "next level" you get that one on one time with the coaching staff that you will not have the time to learn in the pros as i stated with the Doc Rivers comment.

you stay in college and basically get to mature. if you are more mature you are better able to handle "adult situations" in the pros; on and off the cout....you telling me billy donovan couldn't better prepare you to play in the pros...ask joakim noah, or mike krzyzewski?

and i do know the NBA has outlets to help these players/have players improve. Being more season in college can't hurt your game, still waiting for someone to tell me how is college bad?