Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    Anthony Davis a pf first, Jason Smith had been starting at center
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anthony Davis
    Not sure what team playoff success has to do with comparing individual performance.
  • jaemooms
    jaemooms Members Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Other
    Tristian Thompson/Anthony Bennett
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    O.G. wrote: »
    Not sure what team playoff success has to do with comparing individual performance.

Everything. Anyone who's good can get busy on a wack team, your real performance is shown when you're on a championship caliber squad. See Bosh on Toronto and Bosh on the Heat.
  • O.G.
    Options
    Anthony Davis

Everything. Anyone who's good can get busy on a wack team, your real performance is shown when you're on a championship caliber squad. See Bosh on Toronto and Bosh on the Heat.

So Aldridge would have The Pels or The T-wolves in the playoffs ? So Davis wouldn't put up better numbers with a great guard like Paul? So Bosh isn't changing his playing style bcuz of Bron & Wade? Your teammates have a lot to do with your individual success.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kevin Love
    Al Jefferson is that ? tho. Celtics ship him out but keep ? ass Kendrick Perkins. Smh

But I digress, Kevin Love can put up 40 and 20 but barely even have plays called for him. He got the type of game that can fit on any team and not screw up the chemistry or balance of the offense.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    So Aldridge would have The Pels or The T-wolves in the playoffs ? So Davis wouldn't put up better numbers with a great guard like Paul? So Bosh isn't changing his playing style bcuz of Bron & Wade? Your teammates have a lot to do with your individual success.

I don't do what-ifs, I just know if you're not good enough to take your team to the playoffs, I don't see how you can have the label as the best player in your position. Especially when others that play the same position as you are taking their team to the playoffs as the best player on their team.

... Bosh changed his game because he's the 3rd best player on that team, which is exactly what I was getting at. When he was the number 1 guy on Toronto, his stats were nice, but his team was wack.

Now that he's on a real team, we see how effective he truly is, and because of his sacrifice to win basketball games and eventually championships, the casual fans are ignoring him now because his numbers aren't (as) good... yet the players on beyond terrible teams are rewarded for filling up the stat line. That makes no sense.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    Right now if it's game 7 of the NBA finals and I had to pick one power forward to lead us to a W I'm going with Duncan, followed by Dirk, Love hasnt even sniffed the playoffs get the ? out of here with Love, dudes talking about playing for other teams in the middle of the season and is a defensive liability, I know if Anderson wasn't hurt Davis would be center full time am I wrong? I always considered him a center first and secondary power forward, but if I'm wrong I'm taking Davis going forward

Good luck with that

But your pick just was just in that same scenario and I saw how he reacted with the game on the line

Luck? ? you talking about? I don't remember at any point Duncan blowing that series, I remember Pop over coaching and taken Duncan out at a key moment and taking Parker out and letting Ginobili take a last shot which correct me if I'm wrong he couldn't even get off...foh with luck, another year another team Duncan may just lead to the finals again, but nah he's not the best
    I remember Duncan nt getting boards and missing point blank shots at the end of game6 and pretty much doing nothing the whole series
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Kevin Love

My nig... Don't worry about who I voted for..

Taj-Gibson-dunk-Kings-e1329279019294.jpg
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    Right now if it's game 7 of the NBA finals and I had to pick one power forward to lead us to a W I'm going with Duncan, followed by Dirk, Love hasnt even sniffed the playoffs get the ? out of here with Love, dudes talking about playing for other teams in the middle of the season and is a defensive liability, I know if Anderson wasn't hurt Davis would be center full time am I wrong? I always considered him a center first and secondary power forward, but if I'm wrong I'm taking Davis going forward

Good luck with that

But your pick just was just in that same scenario and I saw how he reacted with the game on the line

Luck? ? you talking about? I don't remember at any point Duncan blowing that series, I remember Pop over coaching and taken Duncan out at a key moment and taking Parker out and letting Ginobili take a last shot which correct me if I'm wrong he couldn't even get off...foh with luck, another year another team Duncan may just lead to the finals again, but nah he's not the best
    I remember Duncan nt getting boards and missing point blank shots at the end of game6 and pretty much doing nothing the whole series

U need a new tv
  • O.G.
    Options
    Anthony Davis

I don't do what-ifs, I just know if you're not good enough to take your team to the playoffs, I don't see how you can have the label as the best player in your position. Especially when others that play the same position as you are taking their team to the playoffs as the best player on their team.

... Bosh changed his game because he's the 3rd best player on that team, which is exactly what I was getting at. When he was the number 1 guy on Toronto, his stats were nice, but his team was wack.

Now that he's on a real team, we see how effective he truly is, and because of his sacrifice to win basketball games and eventually championships, the casual fans are ignoring him now because his numbers aren't (as) good... yet the players on beyond terrible teams are rewarded for filling up the stat line. That makes no sense.

Every thing you said about Bosh could be said about almost every player named in this thread. Which is why I say playoff appearances reflect more on a complete team than the player. Power Forwards and good guard play go hand and hand.

Aldridge has or had Lilliard & Miller (still couldn't get out of the first round btw)
    Duncan has Parker
    Dirk had Nash & Kidd
    Love has or had Rubio or Telfair
    Davis has or had Vasquez & Holliday
    Griffin has Paul

Again I don't see how comparing player vs player has anything to do with team success without mentioning the other teammates.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Other
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    Al Jefferson is that ? tho. Celtics ship him out but keep ? ass Kendrick Perkins. Smh

But I digress, Kevin Love can put up 40 and 20 but barely even have plays called for him. He got the type of game that can fit on any team and not screw up the chemistry or balance of the offense.

I really have to explain this one?
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Other
    PiffyHaze wrote: »
    tim duncan

How is the best pf of all time not included in the poll
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    Every thing you said about Bosh could be said about almost every player named in this thread. Which is why I say playoff appearances reflect more on a complete team than the player. Power Forwards and good guard play go hand and hand.

Aldridge has or had Lilliard & Miller (still couldn't get out of the first round btw)
    Duncan has Parker
    Dirk had Nash & Kidd
    Griffin has Paul

Again I don't see how comparing player vs player has anything to do with team success without mentioning the other teammates.

You seem to be talking about something else. I'm strictly talking about making the playoffs. If you can't make one of those 8 slots, I'm not even going to consider you as the best player in your position because the results aren't there. You're disqualified from that number 1 spot. You can't even get your team to the big leagues.

You play to win, so winning enough to make the playoffs holds a significant amount of weight when comparing who's the best. The same way rings mean a lot when comparing who's the greatest of all-time. There's levels to this ? .
  • O.G.
    Options
    Anthony Davis

Duncan has Parker
    Dirk had Nash & Kidd
    Griffin has Paul

You seem to be talking about something else. I'm strictly talking about making the playoffs. If you can't make one of those 8 slots, I'm not even going to consider you as the best player in your position because the results aren't there. You're disqualified from that number 1 spot. You can't even get your team to the big leagues.

You play to win, so winning enough to make the playoffs holds a significant amount of weight when comparing who's the best. The same way rings mean a lot when comparing who's the greatest of all-time. There's levels to this ? .

Oh, o.k. I get it now. Being on a TEAM that is good enough to make the playoffs but not being good enough to actually win a series makes you a better player. So you don't win as a team you just gotta make sure you have the best player on your team. Who knew?
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blake Griffin
    huey wrote: »
    tim duncan

I guess when I make the SF poll I shouldn't leave out Pierce? FOH ? ..

• af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Blake Griffin
    huey wrote: »
    tim duncan

I guess when I make the SF poll I should include Pierce? FOH ? ..
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Other
    Parallel wrote: »
    Tim Duncan is the greatest of all time at the position but he isn't at that elite level anymore, time to let it go.

Time to let it go? Is he not leading the spurs to 1st/2nd seed in the west? Y'all are too obsessed with the stat sheet, Love don't even have any stats recorded in the playoffs his whole career but somehow he's the best power forward? Look at Duncan's stats against these so called best power forwards he's still capable of putting up top tier stats, yea his minutes have to be monitored and he sits a lot when spurs are blowing teams out as he should but all that's done so you have a healthy fresh Duncan when the playoffs roll around, stats don't tell the whole story
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    right now, night in night out, at age 38, can tim duncan still do what aldridge, griffin, davis, and love doing tho? i thought this thread was best pf in the nba, right now. ur right, stats may not tell the whole story when it comes to him but, that team is tony parkers team now and theres a reason his minutes have to be monitored
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Other
    right now, night in night out, at age 38, can tim duncan still do what aldridge, griffin, davis, and love doing tho? i thought this thread was best pf in the nba, right now. ur right, stats may not tell the whole story when it comes to him but, that team is tony parkers team now and theres a reason his minutes have to be monitored

Right now, for one season not looking 5-10 years ahead, right now it's still Duncan, monitored minutes and all, it's not who am I picking to build my team around, it's who am I picking to give me the best chance to win a championship right now, their all top 5 it's not a knock against any of them, but they lack the intangibles, experience and iq that Duncan got, they don't have a presence defensively nor do they make their teammates better on the level of Duncan, it's still Duncan's team I have to disagree with that, you can't replace Duncan and the Spurs aren't one of the top tier teams year in year out without him
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kevin Love
    I think Karl Malone is the goat.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Other
    Tim Duncan is the greatest of all time at the position but he isn't at that elite level anymore, time to let it go.

Time to let it go? Is he not leading the spurs to 1st/2nd seed in the west? Y'all are too obsessed with the stat sheet, Love don't even have any stats recorded in the playoffs his whole career but somehow he's the best power forward? Look at Duncan's stats against these so called best power forwards he's still capable of putting up top tier stats, yea his minutes have to be monitored and he sits a lot when spurs are blowing teams out as he should but all that's done so you have a healthy fresh Duncan when the playoffs roll around, stats don't tell the whole story

Tim Duncan has averaged under 30 mins a game for like 4 years now...leader ain't on the court 40% of the game...

He averages 29 this year Parker averages 30, he averaged 30 last year Parker averaged 32

• Mantequilla
    Mantequilla Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kevin Love
    tim duncan
    Of all-time, yes.

This year, tho? Nah.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anthony Davis
    Are we all in agreement that a prime Tim Duncan would feast on this league?