Working for someone else your entire life vs Being your own boss.

Options
YC11
YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
There's obviously pros and cons to this ? . If you happen to get a decent job that pays well, you stick to the routine of getting up every Monday to Friday to go to work and do your thing, you will get your two week vacation a year plus bonus, benefits and whatnot and retire at 65 and get your pension... Or if you lucky, some companies make that happen for you in your 50's.

You will get comfortable, feel safe, and used to the life that is working 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, if not more with overtime, for however short amount of time you got on this earth. They say average people will spend 90-100 thousand hours working in their lifetime. At first doesn't sound so bad until you realize that's 30% of your waking hours... Combine that with sleeping hours and you realllly don't have much time to do ? you really want to do.

I'm not against working or work in general. I'm talking about jobs you hate, jobs that gives you back nothing, jobs where you have to follow corporate rules and be happy with whatever vacation time you get out of a wholes ? year, and jobs that tells you to come in this time and that time.

This ? is glorified slavery if you ask me, aside from the fact that yes, it is necessary evil to put food on table and roof over your head.

I'm not condoning not working, I'm talking about working for yourself and being your own boss. Understanding how hard it is, and how most people do not have the time or enough financial funds, or knowledge to do anything of the sort. Yet still, study shows people who work for themselves and have their own businesses are far happier that those who clock in or get salaries from the boss.

Your thoughts.

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless you are working under a license then it is better to be your own boss
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Be your own boss...but clueless where to start and I don't have capital to start business
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I getting ready to leave my job to start my on consulting company.

Let me tell you guys this, the job market isn't going to get better. While you have a job, start working on your own business. A real man and woman has their own.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are yall forgetting most people wanna be rich but dont wanna struggle before achieving such...

The majority would rather get by

But ive noticed immigrants are naturally geared towards working for themselves or family because in their country there aren't many businesses that can provide a stable life so they have no choice but to run their own business even if its apples and oranges
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends on the person.
    I work in corporate hq
    Got degrees, certs
    Get paid really well
    Use the money to invest for residual income,save for the future and buy things I want now.
  • YC11
    YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DonPePe wrote: »
    Are yall forgetting most people wanna be rich but dont wanna struggle before achieving such...

The majority would rather get by

But ive noticed immigrants are naturally geared towards working for themselves or family because in their country there aren't many businesses that can provide a stable life so they have no choice but to run their own business even if its apples and oranges

This.

That's why 3% of the world population owns damn near everything.

• WinterHeat
    WinterHeat Members Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course we all wannabe our own bosses, but if you don't bother to go to business school or your business isn't lucrative, it will fail. That's why there aren't as many Black businesses as there should be.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love my job. So getting up and going to work everyday ain't really that difficult usually. I'm really close to my dream job, but even that it kinda working for someone else in a certain sense.

Also, if you gon' up a thread asking about having a boss vs. working for yourself, you gotta up the pros and cons of BOTH sides, fam. Lol. Not just one. Working for yourself ain't all it's cracked up to be, sometimes. A lot of ? have no idea how stressful and annoying it can be.
  • zombie
    Options
    Close to 90% of all businesses fail within 10 years. Only the smart,strong or lucky survive
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didnt read this whole thread but let me speak a little from experience.

Being your own boss is not as easy as it seems and it damn sure isnt rainbows and butterflies like most people think it is. Everyone is always on some "i wanna be my own boss ? "but there is a reason why mad people fail at it.

The reason? Discipline. It takes a lotta discipline to run your own business. Its hard work. Even if you are physically not there your always mentally there. You have to create rules for yourself and follow them.

"Im my own boss so ill take today off why the ? not?" I seen this time and again. Thats why you fail.

Also, you have to be stingy with the money. Thats another reason people fail. Im not talking about profit. Cause peofit is your money. You like to have a good time? You like spending money? Cool. Spend the profit. But people act like all the money the business creates is their money. No ? , thats the businesses money, and the only way to make money in business is by counting up pennys. If your mind state is forget the pennys im going after these dimes, thats why you fail.

Business is a 24 hour 7 days a week strain on your brain. If you dont have that in you stay away. I know a lotta people gonna come in here and talk about their side businesses and how it doesnt take all their time. Thats because its your side business. You dont depend on it to get by.

Every day i think of just finishing my degree and getting a good paying job and live stress free. I wouldnt be making as much money but id be stress free.

Word up, getting a decent job and investing intelligently will lead to retirenment at 50 if done right.

Im sure a person not owning a business will live longer too.

But with all that said, owning your own business also has a lot of upside and beautiful sides to it too. Its just people always think the other side is greener.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not everyone can be self employed
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being your own boss. That's why selling drugs is so appealing. Selling anything really. Cars, shoes, collectables.
    Having a 9-5 is easier though.
    To be your own boss. Ro be a boss period, you have to be highly motivated and ambitious. Dat ? ain't for errybody.
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    FY'all get really depressing in these threads.

boss>>>working for another.

no offense,do what makes you happy
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the way to true wealth is to be your own boss
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boss!!!!!!
    Hard work, yea
    Stressful as ? , ? right
    Bad times, going through it now
    Great times, had some previously and summer is my ? season!
    Would I trade any of it in? Hell no!!

I pay me, I set my hours, I employ people other people look down on. I know I'm a ? person, but I feel good when I help someone get back on their feet. I'm going to retire in 10 yrs at the great age of 37.

what is your business?
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Owning your own business is not the same as being self employed. With that said own your own business beats everything easily. Also invest in cash flowing assets. But this is a hip-hop site an most people on here are imbeciles dont expect any legit or reasonable dialogue on here. An please dont take any business advice. But its good sometimes to pick at they brains I guess.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pico wrote: »
    Only on the ic where everyone is their own boss and ? ten dime ? at once while simultaneously making them all ? at the same time.

Word to ic bops suckn ? while writing 10 page book reports in chinese n doing handstands
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    I didnt read this whole thread but let me speak a little from experience.

Being your own boss is not as easy as it seems and it damn sure isnt rainbows and butterflies like most people think it is. Everyone is always on some "i wanna be my own boss ? "but there is a reason why mad people fail at it.

The reason? Discipline. It takes a lotta discipline to run your own business. Its hard work. Even if you are physically not there your always mentally there. You have to create rules for yourself and follow them.

"Im my own boss so ill take today off why the ? not?" I seen this time and again. Thats why you fail.

Also, you have to be stingy with the money. Thats another reason people fail. Im not talking about profit. Cause peofit is your money. You like to have a good time? You like spending money? Cool. Spend the profit. But people act like all the money the business creates is their money. No ? , thats the businesses money, and the only way to make money in business is by counting up pennys. If your mind state is forget the pennys im going after these dimes, thats why you fail.

Business is a 24 hour 7 days a week strain on your brain. If you dont have that in you stay away. I know a lotta people gonna come in here and talk about their side businesses and how it doesnt take all their time. Thats because its your side business. You dont depend on it to get by.

Every day i think of just finishing my degree and getting a good paying job and live stress free. I wouldnt be making as much money but id be stress free.

Word up, getting a decent job and investing intelligently will lead to retirenment at 50 if done right.

Im sure a person not owning a business will live longer too.

But with all that said, owning your own business also has a lot of upside and beautiful sides to it too. Its just people always think the other side is greener.

So, by your logic, you'll be stress free while having a good paying job.
    You sound ridiculous.
  • count  remy
    count remy Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    working your entire life is a fail in and of itself. Do which ever one that makes you financial stable the quickest. Hell, work for someone and have your own ? if you have that skill set.
  • zombie
    Options
    If you dont want your children to suffer the same struggle start a business
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    WinterHeat wrote: »
    Of course we all wannabe our own bosses, but if you don't bother to go to business school or your business isn't lucrative, it will fail. That's why there aren't as many Black as there should be.

You dont have to go to business school to start a business. There are people with MBA's who will tell you that. Not saying it doesn't help, but there are so many resources out now, where you can learn how to, without spending $150,000 on B school.