*HARD KNOCKS LYFE* The OFFICIAL 2014-15 ATL DIRTEE BIRDS THREAD

Options

Comments

• bigduece69
    bigduece69 Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate hearing about Jax having issues with his hamstring again, but even if he was out for an extended period, I feel confident with Rodgers, Freeman, and smith will be able to handle the load.
  • bigduece69
    Options
    I'm also not surprised they're going more 4wr sets. When you don't have a receiving threat at TE anymore, it was only natural.
  • bigduece69
    Options
    Speaking of the running game. We were very potent in running the ball during the warrick dunn era using the zone blocking scheme. With another florida state running back in Freeman who seems to be just as shifty. I wonder how would that work with him as a feature back in the future once Sjax is gone from the team.

I also think it might help the lineman out as well because it's not based entirely on being able to handle the man one on one in front you, in which we got beat alot at last year.
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Im just seeing this thread........
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't like that 4 WR set ? . I'd rather the squad go back to the pre-Julio era. A big ass blocking FB and blocking TE. Pass the ball to Roddy on 3rd down.

We went 13-3 that season. Our problem was that we were not explosive enough to keep up with the playoff caliber teams. We are now..... I thought that's why we drafted Julio. To be explosive when we needed to be. Not try to become the dam Rams(Greatest Show On Turf).

Go back to the Turn & Burn style offense then switch it up to the explosive 4 WR sets when necessary. Roddy will give us 3 more solid years as a #2. We can sign somebody to replace him later. Make the trenches strong.

For the next 3 years only draft O-linemen and D-linemen in the 1st 2 rounds. Stay aggressive with improving the O-line and front 7 like we were this offseason. The skill position players are set. ? that finesse ? .

Truthfully, I don't believe our O-line is strong enough for a 4 WR set yet. The line has improved but not enough for no help from a TE or FB. Hawley is serviceable but should be a backup. Blalock has declined every season. Baker plays okay every other season. Mathews is a rookie.

I agree. That 10 ? puts too much pressure on the O-line and Matt Ryan.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. Zone blocking scheme worked because of the bootleg threat (Vick)
    2. 4 WR sets with that line will turn Matty Ice into David Carr.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    We ran plenty of 4wide sets since Julio came. (Some with Tony G out in the slot.) I just don't wanna see it too much on non-passing downs.
  • bigduece69
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Didn't see this coming.

The Atlanta Falcons drafted Peria Jerry with the No. 24 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. Five years later, Jerry has decided to retire.

The team announced the decision on Thursday, which comes as a surprise because Jerry was coming off his best season. He started 14 games last year and recorded 3.5 sacks, both career highs.

Jerry will go down as one of the worst picks of the Thomas Dimitroff era in Atlanta, although he never really had a chance because of injuries. Jerry suffered a serious knee injury his rookie year and never quite recovered.

The Falcons beefed up their defensive line with authority this offseason, so this loss should not hurt too much. Then again, their 2010 first-round pick, linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, is also out for the year with a torn Achilles tendon.

This is a defense that needs as much help as it can get.
  • bigduece69
    Options
    I don't think Jerry was going to last past the preseason anyway. I like that we'll be able to get some insight on the conversation on Hard Knocks.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Yeah, I'm kinda happy for him that he went out his way instead of getting that slip on his locker.
  • greenwood1921
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Word is we might sign Nick Barnett, former Packers LB.

I would dig that. We need all the bodies we can get @ LB. Our defensive signings remind me a lot of what we did going into '98. Signing vets that people thought were washed for depth. ? pays off late in the season.
  • ya boi g
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Been saying I was gonna hit camp for the last few years and I finally went today.... Here are just a few things I noticed....

-That boy Julio looked good. He beat Tru a couple times today for a few catches.

-Hi Top Jop and Worrilow both look bigger

-Tru and Alford both look stronger

-Had been hearing some bad things about Tyler Starr but he had a couple good plays today when the O went against the D. He swat 2 passes and got pressure on Ryan. Ryan completed the pass but if he could hit Ryan it might have been a sack

-I think WR Reedy will make the team. Dude is fast as hell and made a couple nice catches today. Ran away from everybody on one play...

-Shawty Lo tall as hell. Easy to spot

-Antoine Smith put a nasty stiff arm on Tru. I believe it would have been a tackle if they were going full speed. Still looked nasty tho.

-Defense kept the O out of the endzone at the goal line. Mass got an int on 4th down to end practice. Pass was from Yates...

-Lowery looked good out there. He may be the most underrated signing. Broke up a pass to Douglass from Ryan and was down in the box banging with linemen and the FB. Not afraid of contact coming off that concussion last year.

- ? Mo is in the box a lot right next to the LB's

I took some good pic's too.... Might post a few

• ya boi g
    Options
    [img][/img]IMG_6601.jpg

This pass was incomplete. Bad pass tho cause Moore was beat
    [img][/img]IMG_6642.jpg

Jones beat Tru right here...
    [img][/img]IMG_6675.jpg

Reedy making a tuff catch. He caught it and almost got a TD
    [img][/img]IMG_6657.jpg

• ya boi g
    Options
    That stiff arm I was talking bout
    [img][/img]IMG_6553.jpg

They was in a lot of 3-4 too
    [img][/img]IMG_6546.jpg
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Good ? @ya boi g.

Any ATLiens going to Friday Night Lights?

Man, I would ? with that if I was in town. Only been to 2, but they were both dope.

• Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Quiz on his ? again.

Jacquizz-Rodgers-GIF.gif
  • ya boi g
    Options
    Smmfh the last thing he needed was a concussion.... He been impressive in camp too. Hope its not serious.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
  • ya boi g
    Options
    Word is McClain and Allen might get crossed trained at Safety until Lowery and Southward come back.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Congratulations to Claude Humphrey. Another Falcon in the hall.

humphrey_hero.jpg
  • ya boi g
    Options
    From what I saw he has started about 23 of the 50 something games he has played with about 2 Int's. He probably a body who will be decent depth if everyone is healthy by time the season start. But that aint looking to good....

ESPN Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure believes FS Dwight Lowery's concussion could put his "season in doubt."
    Lowery suffered a severe concussion three games into last season, so his history of brain injuries is a major concern. It's yet another worry for an Atlanta defense that could be roasted by the pass all season. They're below average at safety, and perhaps the NFL's weakest team when it comes to pass rush.
    Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter Aug 3 - 3:17 P

I hate Thomas D more and more every day... SMMFH if there is any truth to this...... If we have no pass rush again this year and the play from whoever starts at safety is bad im starting a fire Thomas Dimitroff campaign....
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The safety spot might be a blessing in disguise for McClain cause it looked like his confidence was gone at the end of last season.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Word. And it ain't like we need some bruiser hitter at that FS spot. If that's the case then we've played without a Free Safety for the last 4 years.

ymy3upyp.jpg

^^^ Cause this ? nikka can't bust a grape.
  • bigduece69
    Options
    Just seen Hageman got a hairline fracture in is wrist, after fighting Joe Hawley.