Did the book of Exodus really happen?

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    The question was posed as what kind of successful lives do atheists have, not what individual atheists say or do after it is established that they are atheistic and successful.

That's not the question that was posed. Bill gates came into the discussion as a faulty example of person whose atheism motivated him to get rich that of course made no ? sense because atheism did not motivate bill into starting and running his business.

atheism as am ideology by itself does not push humanity to do anything except annoy those of us who choose to believe.

Jehovah's Witnesses are far more annoying then any atheist I've ever met....
    ? ... Crusades, slavery, and genocide are annoying as ? when you just want to be left alone.

Christians will of course find a way to justify this. It's all part of their religion, and yet some of them wonder why so many of us are disgusted by it.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The question was posed as what kind of successful lives do atheists have, not what individual atheists say or do after it is established that they are atheistic and successful.

That's not the question that was posed. Bill gates came into the discussion as a faulty example of person whose atheism motivated him to get rich that of course made no ? sense because atheism did not motivate bill into starting and running his business.

atheism as am ideology by itself does not push humanity to do anything except annoy those of us who choose to believe.

? ... Crusades, slavery, and genocide are annoying as ? when you just want to be left alone.

None of that ? has anything to do with the point that was made, but yes religion was a motivating factor for some of the people involved in those things.

but my overall point is that religion actually does something it motivates for good or for bad while atheism alone does nothing

You say that because you don't know what the underlying principle of atheism is: The idea that we are a self-evident species who lives, dies, succeeds, and fails by our own hands, not that of an extraterrestrial entity. Atheism rejects the idea of a supreme orchestration of reality

It's the opposite of theism, which inherently attributes every person, place, thing, action, event, and thought in the universe to a deity or deities.

Atheism really isn't a hard concept to grasp.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

None of that ? has anything to do with the point that was made, but yes religion was a motivating factor for some of the people involved in those things.

but my overall point is that religion actually does something it motivates for good or for bad while atheism alone does nothing

You say that because you don't know what the underlying principle of atheism is: The idea that we are a self-evident species who lives, dies, succeeds, and fails by our own hands, not that of an extraterrestrial entity. Atheism rejects the idea of a supreme orchestration of reality

It's the opposite of theism, which inherently attributes every person, place, thing, action, event, and thought in the universe to a deity or deities.

i know exactly what atheism is, there have been atheist that have done great things but linking there achievement to a lack in belief in ? is impossible to prove. ESPECIALLY AS IT RELATES TO GETTING MONEY.
  • soul rattler
    Options

i know exactly what atheism is, there have been atheist that have done great things but linking there achievement to a lack in belief in ? is impossible to prove. ESPECIALLY AS IT RELATES TO GETTING MONEY.

You're assuming that because YOU think it's impossible to prove atheism cannot motivate people to make money, that it is impossible for atheism to be such a motivation. This is a logical fallacy.

You Christians tend to commit fallacies a lot. Stop it.
  • zombie
    edited August 2014
    Options

You're assuming that because YOU think it's impossible to prove atheism cannot motivate people to make money, that it is impossible for atheism to be such a motivation. This is a logical fallacy.

CAN YOU PROVE IT if not kindly shut the ? up you bring nothing to the discussion
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disproving the existence of a theistic deity is not the atheist's responsibility. Until the theist succeeds in proving the existence of their G-d, there is no need to disprove it.
    What's problematic is a ? poor and culturally biased definition of what legitimate "proof" is from the perspective of the atheists out here. The atheist demands empirical evidence which is not the only way of proving things. This is a mode of thought originating in Greco-Roman society and basically canonized during the so-called Age of Enlightenment by Venetian party agents and touted intellects. Most atheist have a ? understanding of science yet wield it as a weapon of argumentation. Every science is not restricted by hard data which can only be qualified and quantified by means of the physical sense. This is a materialist view..which again is not the only legitimate or default method of viewing the world. There are scientific disciplines such as archaeology and sociology which are considered "soft sciences' as the means of measurement and fact finding are not as rigid and sensory as say chemistry or geology. Moreover, science revolves around observation of principles and subsequent measurement. If we are talking a non-corporeal being then how could you measure it other than by means of perception and socialization of those who deal with the ideas attributed to said being no matter what it is called. And lastly...most importantly...nobody has to prove a ? thing to an atheist. How is that even a thing? Who is an atheist to prove anything to? What are the intrinsic rewards of "proving ? " to an atheist?? To me thats just some new-fangled skewed internet ? .
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    judahxulu wrote: »
    I want to know what great lives the atheists are living resulting from their skepticism and non-belief that justifies somebody having to justify a ? THING to YOU. You dont know ? and you have nothing to show for your non-belief. If you dont like it or believe its true or whatever then whats so hard about shutting the ? up about it?

@judahxulu‌ brethren, Shalom to you and yours and may Yah yah continue to bear fruits in your life, how's home aka the holy land and life treating you. It's nice of you to drop in
    Shalom ahkee! I been back here for a few months but its been a little crazy with Hamas kicking up dust. All my peoples are safe though. Prayerfully I can make it back for Yom Kippur.
  • zombie
    Options
    @soulrattler you know what i am not interested in talking to you so don't prove it.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    Disproving the existence of a theistic deity is not the atheist's responsibility. Until the theist succeeds in proving the existence of their G-d, there is no need to disprove it.
    What's problematic is a ? poor and culturally biased definition of what legitimate "proof" is from the perspective of the atheists out here. The atheist demands empirical evidence which is not the only way of proving things. This is a mode of thought originating in Greco-Roman society and basically canonized during the so-called Age of Enlightenment by Venetian party agents and touted intellects. Most atheist have a ? understanding of science yet wield it as a weapon of argumentation. Every science is not restricted by hard data which can only be qualified and quantified by means of the physical sense. This is a materialist view..which again is not the only legitimate or default method of viewing the world. There are scientific disciplines such as archaeology and sociology which are considered "soft sciences' as the means of measurement and fact finding are not as rigid and sensory as say chemistry or geology. Moreover, science revolves around observation of principles and subsequent measurement. If we are talking a non-corporeal being then how could you measure it other than by means of perception and socialization of those who deal with the ideas attributed to said being no matter what it is called. And lastly...most importantly...nobody has to prove a ? thing to an atheist. How is that even a thing? Who is an atheist to prove anything to? What are the intrinsic rewards of "proving ? " to an atheist?? To me thats just some new-fangled skewed internet ? .

No one is forcing theists to have these debates regarding proof of the existence of G-d. But time and time again they willingly indulge those who would challenge them to prove it. There are certain rules one has to abide by if they wish to make any real strides in legitimizing their argument. You don't get to say dumb ? like "I woke up this morning. Look at the moons and stars. That's proof that the lawd is real." That won't cut it. Thatis illogical, irrelevant, and inapplicable to the conversation.

By the way, please don't act like you've never heard theists say ? like that either. The Steve Harvey and Bill O'Reilly "tide goes in tide goes out" punchline is prevalent on the theistic end.
  • soul rattler
    Options

CAN YOU PROVE IT if not kindly shut the ? up you bring nothing to the discussion

If you took your head out of your ass for 5 seconds, you'd see that pissedoffnobody already gave you several examples of people who parlayed their atheistic views into successful careers. Christopher Hitchins. Richard Dawkins. ? , George Carlin. These are people that got paid to speak and write about their ideas concerning, in part, atheism.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

If you took your head out of your ass for 5 seconds, you'd see that pissedoffnobody already gave you several examples of people who parlayed their atheistic views into successful careers. Christopher Hitchins. Richard Dawkins. ? , George Carlin. These are people that got paid to speak and write about their ideas concerning, in part, atheism.

Exactly, atheist thought has actually helped motivate a lot of people and as I said before, atheist and non religious frames of mind have achieved great things in all kinds of fields, with atheist thought provoking one to challenge the rules of the world. Thanks to people who did challenge religious dogma, who often let their atheism break the boundaries of often false religious rules of the world, breakthroughs in achievements are being made all the time.
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I remember saying earlier in this thread that I realized the Bible was ? at the age of 13 and interestingly, I've been reading up a little bit on Albert Einstein and here is what he said about the Bible and his epiphany at age 12....he mentions how his NON RELIGIOUS BELIEFS MOTIVATED him to discover more and eventually become the most celebrated scientist of the 20th century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein's_religious_views (source: Einstein, Albert (1979). Autobiographical Notes. Chicago: Open Court Publishing Company, pp. 3-5.)

In his Autobiographical Notes, Einstein wrote that he had gradually lost his faith early in childhood:

. . . I came—though the child of entirely irreligious (Jewish) parents—to a deep religiousness, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of twelve. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic orgy of freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression. Mistrust of every kind of authority grew out of this experience, a skeptical attitude toward the convictions that were alive in any specific social environment—an attitude that has never again left me, even though, later on, it has been tempered by a better insight into the causal connections. It is quite clear to me that the religious paradise of youth, which was thus lost, was a first attempt to free myself from the chains of the 'merely personal,' from an existence dominated by wishes, hopes, and primitive feelings. Out yonder there was this huge world, which exists independently of us human beings and which stands before us like a great, eternal riddle, at least partially accessible to our inspection and thinking. The contemplation of this world beckoned as a liberation, and I soon noticed that many a man whom I had learned to esteem and to admire had found inner freedom and security in its pursuit. The mental grasp of this extra-personal world within the frame of our capabilities presented itself to my mind, half consciously, half unconsciously, as a supreme goal[/i]. Similarly motivated men of the present and of the past, as well as the insights they had achieved, were the friends who could not be lost. The road to this paradise was not as comfortable and alluring as the road to the religious paradise; but it has shown itself reliable, and I have never regretted having chosen it.[3]
  • zombie
    edited August 2014
    Options

He gave me two examples but these people got paid to bash religion not to promote atheism so it was the hate of religion that motivated them not their lack of faith. there is a big difference there.
  • zombie
    Options
    albert einstein was not an atheist
  • kingblaze84
    Options

We know that but he was agnostic at best and admitted his loss of faith in a personal ? and complete loss of faith in religious dogmas spurred him into creativity and discovery. There are many people like this, including myself
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why don't research on how a large amount of atheist start believing in YAH when they get close to death, they ? get shook, scary.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Why don't research on how a large amount of atheist start believing in YAH when they get close to death, they ? get shook, scary.

Post those stats. Then explain to us how a last minute irrational impromptu proclamation changes a lifelong dedication to an ideology.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fear is irrational and no one wants to think their consciousness will be gone one day.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

He was agnostic or at least if there was a creator it clearly wasn't a personal ? .
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fear is irrational and no one wants to think their consciousness will be gone one day.

But they start to believe in a higher power, they views changed some of them start to repent and seek the Most High
  • Ajackson17
    Options

But they start to believe in a higher power, they views changed some of them start to repent and seek the Most High

Yeah, I don't know too many atheist outside of the Internet and they are definitely aren't old.
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm late to this thread but I dont believe in ? or the ? from the bible. I have many reasons. But one reason is the simple fact that Chrisitians say ? is a loving ? . When you read the old testament he was not. He was a war ? telling his "chosen people" to slaughter,enslave and ? (yes ? ). Example:
    As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your ? hands it over to you, ? every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your ? has given you.
    Deuteronomy 20:10-14

This verse is never taught in Churches because it shows this loving ? supports ? and pillage. There is many reasons. Just google ? in the bible and you get plenty verses where this ? supports it as well as ? .

Another reason why I stopped beleiving is the simple fact that if ? helps me with the little things in life oh I dont know like finding a job or passing test how come he can't help a women being ? in an alleyway. Or why he doesnt help a family being murdered by a burgalor at night. I grew up on church and heard these ridicilous testamonies. Seriosuly if ? can help Jesse find her lost car key then how come he does not help the children in Africa suffering from hunger? Or help babies who get cancer but saved a person who get into a car accident? that ? does not fly with me.

And finally I am haitian. My ancestors were slaves. They were ? ,humiliated,brainwahsed,beaten,broken to submission. Why would a loving ? allow the massive african slave trade to the Americas? Plus Christianity was forced upon our ancestors. They used it to brainwash our ancestors. Slave masters used scripture to justify slavery and used words from St Paul. African Americans after slavery were treated like animales,less then human,lynched,murdered. Why would a all loving ? allow this. What was his will to allow black to suffer and be enslaved but according to Exodus he free the Israelites. Plus he has a chosen people? I though ? loved all of us? So he has favorites that means he is bigoted. So in conclusionthat ? does not fly with me. The Bible contridicts itself. And we blacks worship a religion that was used to subjugate our ancestors in ? ,used to brainwashed for centuries.
  • zombie
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @PapaDoc223‌

Yes ? is a war ? , this should be news to no one and yes he allowed ancient israel to slaughter their opponents this was done for the betterment of all mankind as it established the ? israel for all time, and allowed israel to bring the messiah to mankind as it was his plan to redeem mankind from it's eventual destruction. That's why israel was chosen to be a "light to the nations" and it is from abraham that we get the 3 major religions of the world.

SO YES ISRAEL WAS CHOSEN but that does not mean he loved them more for all eternity, simply put they were used by ? for the greater good of mankind, and according to the bible these same chosen people spent generations in slavery in egypt and after that at the hands of the romans.

that's why thousands of years later the belief in him is still going strong in most parts of the world and the gods of israels enemies are in the dustbin of history.

It is actually not ? 's job to stop people from doing evil to each other, this is the one thing that many people don't seem to grasp and many preachers don't preach because it's a hard pill to swallow. ? is not a genie he is not going to keep all physical pain away it's not his job to stop theives in the night or stop ? and slavery, it's our job to not do those things in the first place, he redeems more than he prevents. People attribute little small things to him more than they probably should the bible says it rains on the good and the bad.

finally black people in america 2014 are no longer slaves, today we read the bible ourselves and come to our own conculsions. If you say that today we are brainwashed than in essence what you are saying is that black people are of inferior mind.
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Options
    PapaDoc223 wrote: »
    I'm late to this thread but I dont believe in ? or the ? from the bible. I have many reasons. But one reason is the simple fact that Chrisitians say ? is a loving ? . When you read the old testament he was not. He was a war ? telling his "chosen people" to slaughter,enslave and ? (yes ? ). Example:
    As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your ? hands it over to you, ? every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your ? has given you.
    Deuteronomy 20:10-14

This verse is never taught in Churches because it shows this loving ? supports ? and pillage. There is many reasons. Just google ? in the bible and you get plenty verses where this ? supports it as well as ? .

Another reason why I stopped beleiving is the simple fact that if ? helps me with the little things in life oh I dont know like finding a job or passing test how come he can't help a women being ? in an alleyway. Or why he doesnt help a family being murdered by a burgalor at night. I grew up on church and heard these ridicilous testamonies. Seriosuly if ? can help Jesse find her lost car key then how come he does not help the children in Africa suffering from hunger? Or help babies who get cancer but saved a person who get into a car accident? that ? does not fly with me.

And finally I am haitian. My ancestors were slaves. They were ? ,humiliated,brainwahsed,beaten,broken to submission. Why would a loving ? allow the massive african slave trade to the Americas? Plus Christianity was forced upon our ancestors. They used it to brainwash our ancestors. Slave masters used scripture to justify slavery and used words from St Paul. African Americans after slavery were treated like animales,less then human,lynched,murdered. Why would a all loving ? allow this. What was his will to allow black to suffer and be enslaved but according to Exodus he free the Israelites. Plus he has a chosen people? I though ? loved all of us? So he has favorites that means he is bigoted. So in conclusionthat ? does not fly with me. The Bible contridicts itself. And we blacks worship a religion that was used to subjugate our ancestors in ? ,used to brainwashed for centuries.

Amen brotha. I'm half Haitian and although I'm proud Haitians freed themselves in 1804, way before any other Black nation in the western hemisphere, it sickens me to know the ? , phony Bible ? did nothing to stop the genocides that took place there. Most Haitians ironically during slavery times were Christian, and the Bible ? did nothing to save his followers, as it claims it would do. Once I found out the ? sucking Bible ? supported slavery and ? , it all made sense to me....
  • zombie
    Options
    and by the way bill gates is evil

If Bill Gates hadn't help engineered the microchip processor, you wouldn't be able to type any ? , you ? .

he could cure cancer he would still be ? evil