J. Cole's New Album, "2014 Forest Hills Drive" Dropping Dec 9th

Options

Comments

• deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @stonecoldmikey smh wack me come on bruh.. I like the album I*M BLATIN THIS HEAVY.. u know the truth if J cole was black he would not sell this much
  • deathrowzorrow
    Options
    You may be right.. ? what I said

J cole one of the best in the game now.

I wish him all the luck

#LifeIsGood

Luv the album!
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't really move me the first listen through, going to give it another.

Overall a really positive cd, some standout lyrics and some storytelling. Nothing really hit me as something that would last though.

Really reminded me of a watered down nas effort.
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Immpressive...Cole should b gold by next wk

But he is black. You think he could go around embracing his white side?

He still a ? to them. ? he embrace being black more than most rappers.

smh Cole said if he was dark skin he would not b as successful...again j Cole said that not me
  • deathrowzorrow
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @stonecoldmikey smh wack me come on bruh.. I like the album I*M BLATIN THIS HEAVY.. u know the truth if J cole was black he would not sell this much

But he is black. You think he could go around embracing his white side?

He still a ? to them. ? he embrace being black more than most rappers.

same reason why ti & ludacris did so good

white people love lightskin rappers

j cole pretty the same fanbase as jay z, kanye west (and some nas fans but they are mostly black)
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wish Hov would throw this kid a bone and jump on a song or two....he doesn't really need the feature but I can see Jay spitting some ? on that St Tropez joint....been bumpin that ? on repeat all morning
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    off 1 listen, this is a good ass album.

He stayed in his lane, no reaches for alternative fans (whoever tha ? that is), which is 1 thing thats maddeningly annoying when rapper's albums sound like an attempt to reach every possible demographic, hence no 1 demographic likes the whole album completely. ? be 18 songs w/ differnt moods, producers, sounds, etc. Sound like a damn compilation.

In the old days, when you first listened to an album, it was hard to distinguish 1 song from the next sometimes, bc they all had common or the same producers, a similar sound, and it took a few listens to pinpoint dffernces. (think Illmatic, Blueprint, American Gnagster is a modern example minus 'Hello Brooklyn') That was a GOOD thing. Kinda like the songs were all on the same accord. Anybody know what i mean?

This album is like that. (pause-not as good as those albums!). A tight 13 songs. A good vibe to it. Nothing out of place. Thats just 1 listen

even sayin all this, i still havent listened more than 2 times lol I dont know what it is about this ngga nh Maybe its his voice, idk. Gotta give it another spin
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been telling ? if somebody else on Rocnation made St. Tropez he would've jumped on. But i really don't think Cole like Jay that much and definitely doesn't need him at this point. He's thrown light shots on every album.
  • S2J
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    I wish Hov would throw this kid a bone and jump on a song or two....he doesn't really need the feature but I can see Jay spitting some ? on that St Tropez joint....been bumpin that ? on repeat all morning

See how nggas do? J Cole one of the biggest rappers out, the sales say so, yet nggas still look at him like a strugglin kid who just needs that Jay z hand out.

Now you can see why the Peedi's, the DeHaven's, the Beans, etc situations exist.

Ngga go be your own man, J cole doin it the right way while others probably be waitin for Jay z 'bone' nh to u speakin of
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

See how nggas do? J Cole one of the biggest rappers out, the sales say so, yet nggas still look at him like a strugglin kid who just needs that Jay z hand out.

Now you can see why the Peedi's, the DeHaven's, the Beans, etc situations exist.

Ngga go be your own man, J cole doin it the right way while others probably be waitin for Jay z 'bone' nh to u speakin of

exactly. plus I think Jay realized from Bleek that he can't make people love another artist just by featuring on their albums all the time.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J Cole views himself as the Kanye type. Totally self sufficient and that's why he will have a long career outside of being associated with Jay. I don't think Jay wanted to Bleek J Cole and make him codependent. It's not about liking Jay-Z. Cole has said numerous times Jay-Z mentors him and give him advice on the industry. Cole would not be who he is without Roc Nation artist development. He probably would of been dropped after Who Dat flopped.
  • mike06
    Options

ok maybe i worded it wrong but as MUSIC fan I just wished they collaborated more.....nothing wrong with that....i actually like that fact that Cole from the moment he signed to RN did this ? his way...everyone was clamoring for him to release ? asap to catch up to Drake and he made it known that he was not signing to ride Jay's coattails nor chase the fame and I appreciate his art...i just like his beats and just wanted to hear Jay jump on a couple of them and see what happens but that's just from a music fan standpoint...like i said he doesn't really need the feature
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What makes y'all think they don't like each other? For all we know Cole could be saying I got this Jay fall back.

Which one is it? Jay don't care about his artists or he jumps on the wagon to keep himself relevant? Y'all be flip flopping.

Cole produces all his ? and rarely has features that should tell you the type of person he is.
  • mike06
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    J Cole views himself as the Kanye type. Totally self sufficient and that's why he will have a long career outside of being associated with Jay. I don't think Jay wanted to Bleek J Cole and make him codependent. It's not about liking Jay-Z. Cole has said numerous times Jay-Z mentors him and give him advice on the industry. Cole would not be who he is without Roc Nation artist development. He probably would of been dropped after Who Dat flopped.

did it really flop or was the expectations just a little too high considering he was the first artist coming out on Jay's new label?

it did what it did IMO...introduced the general public to J. Cole
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

did it really flop or was the expectations just a little too high considering he was the first artist coming out on Jay's new label?

Oh it flopped. Lol I think it reached in the 50s on the charts.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I copped this album yesterday, first time I've heard it. ? 's nice
  • mike06
    Options

Oh it flopped. Lol I think it reached in the 50s on the charts.

again were the expectations too high?....idk too much about the bizness side so im assuming your saying Jay would've dropped him based of the low numbers of his first single(compared to i guess Drakes "your the best" or "successful"...idk which one was his official first single) but i also think Jay knew that and decided to let the situation play out a lil more before just cutting all ties and dropping him and it's playing out alot better than most expected
  • S2J
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What makes y'all think they don't like each other? For all we know Cole could be saying I got this Jay fall back.

Which one is it? Jay don't care about his artists or he jumps on the wagon to keep himself relevant? Y'all be flip flopping.

Cole produces all his ? and rarely has features that should tell you the type of person he is.

Imo you gotta remember Jay is a ex d boy. He ? w/ that type: Jeezy, Ross. Also he has a close circle, so he doesnt even musically collab w/ people outside the circle. The people who's done most of his beats are people actually ? wit: kanye, pharell, swizz, diddy.

They dont collab musically bc they probably dont click. Jay cole 25 or so straight laced, Jay z 40+ ex d boy
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Imo you gotta remember Jay is a ex d boy. He ? w/ that type: Jeezy, Ross. Also he has a close circle, so he doesnt even musically collab w/ people outside the circle. The people who's done most of his beats are people actually ? wit: kanye, pharell, swizz, diddy.

They dont collab musically bc they probably dont click. Jay cole 25 or so straight laced, Jay z 40+ ex d boy
    Cole is 30 next month and Jay just turned 49. Not like that really matters cause Jigga has hopped on songs with both Drake and K.Dot who are 28 and 27.
  • S2J
    Options

Cole is 30 next month and Jay just turned 49. Not like that really matters cause Jigga has hopped on songs with both Drake and K.Dot who are 28 and 27.

lmfao he's not 49. And it does matter

Jay z has hopped on as many songs with Kendrick as he has with Cole (and Meek mill)...1

The point isnt hopping on 1 song, ? was alluding to a continuing relationship where they collab all the time: like ross n jeezy

My point is usually jay's decision to ? w/ a ngga musically is usually based on if he actualy ? wit him irl. do you see them hangin out...When nas n him got tight and at each others birthdays n ? , they collabed. you can find pics of jay n fab hangin out, and jay gave fab the rare appearance in his video and a record for a hook.

The 1 exception imo was Freeway. He really fuked w/ Free. Chris too
  • SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw I think cole is at the point wheres he trying to make quality music and doesn't want to force a collab got collab sake.

I expect a jay cole collab in the future and when it drops it'll live up to the hype
  • S2J
    Options
    Naw I think cole is at the point wheres he trying to make quality music and doesn't want to force a collab got collab sake.

I expect a jay cole collab in the future and when it drops it'll live up to the hype

OR.... they just dont ? w/ each other like that...*shrug* (not to be confused w/ dislike)