The Mask You Live In (a study of masculinity) (trailer)

Options

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    i really dont see nothin wrong with whats bein said in the clip..

all that macho hyper masculinity ? we've been taught since youth has done what good for us?? its been to our own detriment if anything...

nothin's wrong wit allowin a boy to feel human.. humans have emotions.. we shouldbt be teaching them to hide or neglect their feelings but to control them..

Where has it got us?
    You're talking bout the human race?

Because of alpha males the earth hasn't ever been this peaceful.

Ppl act according knowing the alpha male will cut all the BS out.

But you're a ? right?Everything you stand for is alpha male behavior.

Nobody ever said men shouldnt feel emotions but control them. Don't act upon them. That's what the weak do.

im talkin about the black community..

and when u tell a kid he aint suppose to cry in essence u are tellin him to disregard his feelings.. or "grow some ? "

it hurts more then helps...

It's a tricky situation when it comes to blacks in america.

I can agree with you on that.

But let's not act like the roles in blacks relationship are changing. I see a lot of men basically becoming the women and the women is becoming the man.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    all i am actually saying is to leave the ? boys alone all that over the top defensive ? is just natural chest pounding all males do that ? until they grow out of it, just leave the boys alone and support them with proper discipline that's it we don't need to experiment with boyhood.

Pounding "BE A MAN! DON'T CRY!" into a young male's skull is what's disruptive to natural maturity.
    Let that lil ? grow up to a human being, instead of what certain societies believe a "man" to be.

? are the most successful people steve jobs, bill gates, trump, buffet these people are ? .

I'll give you Steve Jobs. But Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? Now you're just making ? up.

IIRC Gates stole a lot of ideas when he branched off to start Microsoft
    That's a Zuckerberg move imo
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This lie that men don't express our feelings needs to stop, it's just another feminist lie . Men have always expressed emotions, wrote love poetry and made love songs and romance books that type of thing. As a boy you might not know how to express your emotions but you learn that naturally as you grow older.

You do realize there are more emotions than love right? Love may be an emotion but it's not the wide range.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    all i am actually saying is to leave the ? boys alone all that over the top defensive ? is just natural chest pounding all males do that ? until they grow out of it, just leave the boys alone and support them with proper discipline that's it we don't need to experiment with boyhood.

Pounding "BE A MAN! DON'T CRY!" into a young male's skull is what's disruptive to natural maturity.
    Let that lil ? grow up to a human being, instead of what certain societies believe a "man" to be.

? are the most successful people steve jobs, bill gates, trump, buffet these people are ? .

I'll give you Steve Jobs. But Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? Now you're just making ? up.

bill gates was ruthless and warren buffet disowned his daughter. they sound like ? to me

we need men and their needs to be an idea of what manhood is little boys just crying for no good reason is ? men have always cried but we cried when we had a reason to.

A boy is going to be a man and his family will look to him for strength in trouble if we teach this boy to break and cry at rough times than he will not be fit to reassure his family in bad times. Something goes wrong daddy crying mommy crying. gtfoh
  • jono
    Options
    aka_OG wrote: »
    the clip is ok but all they've done is over exaggerate half ass parenting from some fathers - looked like some didnt even have that

They may go more into parenting in the documentary but this short piece was more about socialization.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    This lie that men don't express our feelings needs to stop, it's just another feminist lie . Men have always expressed emotions, wrote love poetry and made love songs and romance books that type of thing. As a boy you might not know how to express your emotions but you learn that naturally as you grow older.

You do realize there are more emotions than love right? Love may be an emotion but it's not the wide range.

Men express emotions much better then women always have.

Because we control them better.
  • zombie
    Options

all that macho hyper masculinity ? we've been taught since youth has done what good for us?? its been to our own detriment if anything...

nothin's wrong wit allowin a boy to feel human.. humans have emotions.. we shouldbt be teaching them to hide or neglect their feelings but to control them..

Where has it got us?

Nobody ever said men shouldnt feel emotions but control them. Don't act upon them. That's what the weak do.

and when u tell a kid he aint suppose to cry in essence u are tellin him to disregard his feelings.. or "grow some ? "

There is a time when you have to disregard your feelings for the stability of other people especially when they are counting on you.
  • zombie
    Options

That was just an example i used love because it's one of the strongest emotions
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    And we live in hyper masculine society is so false. Especially in America.

35+ years ago yea but now hell no.

Talk to any older male so you ? can learn something.

You can look at the laws and the women in high ranking places and can see its a false statement.
  • jono
    Options

bill gates was ruthless and warren buffet disowned his daughter. they sound like ? to me

we need men and their needs to be an idea of what manhood is little boys just crying for no good reason is ? men have always cried but we cried when we had a reason to.

A boy is going to be a man and his family will look to him for strength in trouble if we teach this boy to break and cry at rough times than he will not be fit to reassure his family in bad times. Something goes wrong daddy crying mommy crying. gtfoh

Nobody should be crying for no good reason. That's the problem here. Who said anything about crying for no reason?

This ? is deeper than crying.

These kids out here are damaged, very damaged. Many feel like nobody cares about them, that they can't express sadness or vulnerability without being perceived as being "weak" or "soft".

I been in contact with emotionally crippled kids, this ? is real and it's destroying boys by the thousands.

You'll be surprised at how much words of encouragement and simple listening can help a kid's life. There's some sensitive ass thugs out here frontin like they killers and tough guys when they just scared, confused boys.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where has it got us?

U have to take into context. how the dominant society, emasculate black males.
    When u lack essential minerals from a lack of food intake, to overcompensate, u get the supplement minerals. Of course theirs gonna be an imbalance.
    But when u take in, the context "why". Then it make sense. Its not like black boys have a healthy environment, to develop a healthy masculinity.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So much for be yourself..
  • zombie
    Options

Nobody should be crying for no good reason. That's the problem here. Who said anything about crying for no reason?

These kids out here are damaged, very damaged. Many feel like nobody cares about them, that they can't express sadness or vulnerability without being perceived as being "weak" or "soft".

I been in contact with emotionally crippled kids, this ? is real and it's destroying boys by the thousands.

You'll be surprised at how much words of encouragement and simple listening can help a kid's life. There's some sensitive ass thugs out here frontin like they killers and tough guys when they just scared, confused boys.

WELL for those boys they would need serious mental help because clearly the home situation is ? up. I am speaking of the average boy from the average american family he does not need to be turned into a panty waste men/boys have always found ways to express emotion when needed we don't need any social experiment to teach us anything leave ? alone.
  • jono
    Options

WELL for those boys they would need serious mental help because clearly the home situation is ? up. I am speaking of the average boy from the average american family he does not need to be turned into a panty waste men/boys have always found ways to express emotion when needed we don't need any social experiment to teach us anything leave ? alone.

What the hell is the "average boy, from the average American family"?
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They may go more into parenting in the documentary but this short piece was more about socialization.

but even at that - its still misleading

who knows maybe they address it fully. judging by the trailer - most likely not

• jono
    Options
    aka_OG wrote: »

but even at that - its still misleading

who knows maybe they address it fully. judging by the trailer - most likely not

Explain.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

Buffett's a good dude and lives like an old lady SMMFH. He did not disown his daughter, he said he wasn't going to leave his kids the bulk of his wealth, instead he'd rather give it to charity and give his kids enough to do something with but not enough to do nothing with. Gates was defensive about his product b/c he had the federal govt trying to break Microsoft into bits and pieces. Everybody was going for his head. But to say that Buffett & Gates are anywhere near the level of ? Trump is, is mad ignorant no diss. They may not be perfect by any means but they're prolly the poster child example of how the video wants young men to be more like.

I aint gon feed into the back and forth but I felt compelled to keep the conversation honest.....

They so much wealth bruh. and I don't look at them as good role models. You don't get that type of money being a model citizen.

Ain't bill a thief?

• Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe that all throughout the history of mankind men have been encouraged to be a man, since the fall of Cain. Look up the Noah the latest Noah movie, you will see the message is always there.
  • zombie
    Options

the child of a happy marriage or a child with both decent parents around and there is no excessive drama most of these thugs you believe are carrying around confused little boys inside don't come from good families.

and on a side note i don't believe it's always a good thing to try and help children too overcome every emotional issue they face. let them learn constructive ways to deal with emotional issue on their own.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So much for be yourself..

I think that's the idea though dude.

The argument seems to be that many boys are not being themselves when they're pushed towards society's ideal of manhood, and that it can be destructive to them and their communities.

Also, if this is feminism's work it might be a good thing. Maybe it is them trying to mould boys the way society does women, which is hypocritical as ? . But when is the last time a lot of these fem thinkers actually considered gender issues of the other side? If nothing else at least their progressing their focus and thinking about those outside their group for once.
  • Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Freaking cell phone. What I was trying to say is, why try to pussify a man now? This topic is actually a good conversational piece because in my opinion this is one of the reasons we are in the state we are today among several other issues.
  • zombie
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

Buffett's a good dude and lives like an old lady SMMFH. He did not disown his daughter, he said he wasn't going to leave his kids the bulk of his wealth, instead he'd rather give it to charity and give his kids enough to do something with but not enough to do nothing with. Gates was defensive about his product b/c he had the federal govt trying to break Microsoft into bits and pieces. Everybody was going for his head. But to say that Buffett & Gates are anywhere near the level of ? Trump is, is mad ignorant no diss. They may not be perfect by any means but they're prolly the poster child example of how the video wants young men to be more like.

I aint gon feed into the back and forth but I felt compelled to keep the conversation honest.....

ok you are right no one matches the ? level of trump, but bill gates is an ? according to paul allen http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/paul-allen-compares-working-with-bill-gates-to-being-in-hell/

now he is very generous that's for sure but you can be generous and still be an ?

i am almost 100% sure buffet is an ? if you dig deeper
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see where you're coming from, and these kids dont feel, they know nobody cares...
    When u live in a society where, there's more money going into building prisons, than schools, or better housings, n communities.then these kids know .
    These kids are damaged because of the enviroment theyre from. No words of encouragement n listening will fully help a child permantely, if they have to go back to the same ? up enviroments. Its actually tougher .
    The common denominator is fixing these kids enviroment. Instead of focusing on how these kids are acting, we should focus on why .
  • jono
    Options

the child of a happy marriage or a child with both decent parents around and there is no excessive drama most of these thugs you believe are carrying around confused little boys inside don't come from good families.

and on a side note i don't believe it's always a good thing to try and help children too overcome every emotional issue they face. let them learn constructive ways to deal with emotional issue on their own.

Reality is kids, specifically boys, are being socialized into sociopathic behavior by each other (peer pressure, bullying and the like) and their elders. You can talk about parenting all day but a kid will try to fit in with his environment everytime.
  • zombie
    Options

Reality is kids, specifically boys, are being socialized into sociopathic behavior by each other (peer pressure, bullying and the like) and their elders. You can talk about parenting all day but a kid will try to fit in with his environment everytime.

leave the kids alone. surviving bullying breeds character in the real world there will always be bullies and learning to resist peer pressure is also something we learn as we get older. i will say once again leave the ? kids alone

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1280625/Bullying-good-children-Study-finds-fight-popular.html