What 2 colors make up this dress?

Options

Comments

• The Hue
    The Hue Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Light enters the eye through the lens — different wavelengths corresponding to different colors. The light hits the retina in the back of the eye where pigments fire up neural connections to the visual cortex, the part of the brain that processes those signals into an image. Critically, though, that first burst of light is made of whatever wavelengths are illuminating the world, reflecting off whatever you’re looking at. Without you having to worry about it, your brain figures out what color light is bouncing off the thing your eyes are looking at, and essentially subtracts that color from the “real” color of the object. “Our visual system is supposed to throw away information about the illuminant and extract information about the actual reflectance,” says Jay Neitz, a neuroscientist at the University of Washington. “But I’ve studied individual differences in color vision for 30 years, and this is one of the biggest individual differences I’ve ever seen.” (Neitz sees white-and-gold.)
    Usually that system works just fine. This image, though, hits some kind of perceptual boundary. That might be because of how people are wired. Human beings evolved to see in daylight, but daylight changes color. That chromatic axis varies from the pinkish red of dawn, up through the blue-white of noontime, and then back down to reddish twilight. “What’s happening here is your visual system is looking at this thing, and you’re trying to discount the chromatic bias of the daylight axis,” says Bevil Conway, a neuroscientist who studies color and vision at Wellesley College. “So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black.” (Conway sees blue and orange, somehow.)

More detailed explanation from Wired.com
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I saw black/brownish and blue this whole time until now. On ? that thang just turned White and Gold on me while scrolling then went back to black and blue.

Nah bruh I'm done with this ? .
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just don't get this. I clearly see the dress as white and gold. My wife sees it as black and blue. This is amazing.
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Hue wrote: »
    Blue and Black: Our retina’s cones are more high functioning, and this results in our eyes doing subtractive mixing. White and Gold: Your eyes don’t work well in dim light so your retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing, (that of green and red), to make gold.

Found this explanation on Facebook

none of the explanations explain why people originally saw white/gold, then it switched. like me. i cant unsee blue/black now. ?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    ? remind me of the thread where ? was debating what hand the cell phone was in in a selfie photo shot at the mirror.

or that "real G ' s move in silence like lasagna" line wayne did..

Classic thread
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now it turns blue/black if i look at it with the corners of my eye.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It probably just has to do with the settings/quality on the screen you view it on, as well as the angle.
    I use f.lux (a color filtering program that takes out shades of blue light at night) and I've seen many pics appear in completely different colors just because the program reduced the amount of blue in the pixels. Same thing happens when I tilt my screen, just not as drastic.

I don't know about the cones in the eyes, though, because from what I've read in the past that more so has to do with seeing more shades of the "same" color than seeing a completely different color all together.

• I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I simply see gold n white n first pic and other colors in the other pics

Are yall tryna tell me my eyes messed up or something?

? yall

Npt8dmC.gif
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hasn't changed for me. Gold + white with a slight hue of blue. I guess I'm normal and yall have brain tumors or something
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think they are using this to judge how influential certain people are on these social media sites.....

• Dirty Sanchez
    Dirty Sanchez Members Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img]https://scontent-ams.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/l/t1.0-9/10991439_902394409803288_8417012805679777225_n.jpg?oh=90f45723007a5d7eec107c2acd5e5bb0&oe=5594DCCC[/img]
  • Dirty Sanchez
    Options
  • Dirty Sanchez
    Options
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was white and gold when I first saw it. Now its blue and black and has been for ages

Word. ? this witchcraft ass dress bruh. Its to early for this ? .
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Sanchez wrote: »
    11021095_1418706125091508_3485693348328731520_n.jpg?oh=de4b7b610f6f4f4cfdcc767aa4be416a&oe=5595B577&__gda__=1435908424_82220a5688f84b58f3a418ef4e99f495

u goin to hell..

me too.. i laughed. hahaha
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see mustard and plastic vanilla
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've looked at the OP multiple times over the last few hours. I see white and gold.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options