L.O.G.O.N.H.I. (legend or not) Vol. 5: Drake

Options

Comments

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake is not bigger than 50, Nelly, Ja or Luda if you look at the full numbers,I can also throw T.I. in that mix too. Now I would put Drake in there bracket but I can't put him over none of those rappers I named. All he's really done is release more singles than them. But notice, Drake has only had 1 #1 on the Hot 100 and that was a Rihanna feature. Meanwhile:

Nelly: 4 #1's on the Hot 100
    50 Cent: 4 #1's on the hot 100
    Ja Rule: 3 #1's on the Hot 100
    Ludacris: 5 #1's on Hot 100
    T.I.: 4 #1's on the Hot 100

This shows you the impact they had NATION WIDE not just on the rap and rnb charts which all those artist did well on also. Yes Drake has the most #1's on the Rap and RnB Charts for a rapper. That's a great accomplishment. But outside that is where he falls short on the Impact Vs these guys I just mentioned. Also Let's look at the Album sales:

TML - 1.5 Million
    TC - 2 Million
    NWTS - 1.5 Million

Mixtapes
    SFSG - Gold
    IYRTITL - (It's going Platinum but no much higher)

Basically his fanbase is consistent but it's not increasing. He's moving units there's no doubt but so many rappers have done that already and were bigger in Album success including Nelly and 50 at there peaks were outselling POP stars at there height. "Country Grammer" 9x Platinum, his debut and he was still moving units 6 years into his career. Ja Rule Dominated the POP charts and took J-Lo's career to new heights and he was SINGING AND RAPPING something Drake like to act like he succeeded at doing first (Missy, Bone, L-Boogie etc) Ludacris has 5 #1 singles. I mean damn.

All of these guys have 4 Platinum albums or more. Just about where Drake is at. So what happens next? Can he sustain it? We will see. Also please spare me (Oh he's ruling for 6 years). Rap is way different now. During the Hey Day there was just way to much competition for anyone to rule forever. He has his support and that's clear by the numbers. But again he hasn't done anything new in terms of overall success. Look at these rappers from there 1st certified album to there last certified albums:

Ja Rule (99-2004) (Last certified album 2004, 5 years)
    Ludacris (99-2010) (Last certified album 2010, 11 years)
    Nelly (00-08) (Last certified album 2008, 8 years)
    50 Cent (2003-2009) (Last certified album 2009, 6 Years)
    T.I. (2003-2012) (Last certified album 2012, 11 years)

Also when you look inside those #1 singles at least 50% were features. There's nothing wrong with that but let's not act like Drake when #1 all on his own. Is he successful? Yes. Legend? After 6 years? Tupac and Biggie were, 20 years later we are still listening to there music, so that's why we know there are Legends . Drake isn't there yet, let him grow and we will see. But as of 2015, even throwing in the billboard stats, it isn't enough. Also if "Take Care" is going to be the "Classic" album you guys put up for him. He's really going to have a hard time competing with the All Time Greats. The bar is set really high for Rap Legends. There's a reason for that. So again Tupac and Biggie were both Legends after the same years Drake has been in the game. Ask yourself again? Is he a Legend? Don't see it sorry.
    With ya logic of album sales, Wilt Chamberlain is a better basketball player than Lebron cause he could average more points in certain season and in a game.. I'm sure in 2002 downloading full albums weeks prior to their release and bootlegging was at a all time high with their Napster.. I tell you one thing though...they aint selling as many albums as Drake now minus the chosen few as jay-Z or Eminem.

Since when were we talking about basketball?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Legend
    Drake is not bigger than 50, Nelly, Ja or Luda if you look at the full numbers,I can also throw T.I. in that mix too. Now I would put Drake in there bracket but I can't put him over none of those rappers I named. All he's really done is release more singles than them. But notice, Drake has only had 1 #1 on the Hot 100 and that was a Rihanna feature. Meanwhile:

This shows you the impact they had NATION WIDE not just on the rap and rnb charts which all those artist did well on also. Yes Drake has the most #1's on the Rap and RnB Charts for a rapper. That's a great accomplishment. But outside that is where he falls short on the Impact Vs these guys I just mentioned. Also Let's look at the Album sales:

TML - 1.5 Million
    TC - 2 Million
    NWTS - 1.5 Million

Mixtapes
    SFSG - Gold

Basically his fanbase is consistent but it's not increasing. He's moving units there's no doubt but so many rappers have done that already and were bigger in Album success including Nelly and 50 at there peaks were outselling POP stars at there height. "Country Grammer" 9x Platinum, his debut and he was still moving units 6 years into his career. Ja Rule Dominated the POP charts and took J-Lo's career to new heights and he was SINGING AND RAPPING something Drake like to act like he succeeded at doing first (Missy, Bone, L-Boogie etc) Ludacris has 5 #1 singles. I mean damn.

All of these guys have 4 Platinum albums or more. Just about where Drake is at. So what happens next? Can he sustain it? We will see. Also please spare me (Oh he's ruling for 6 years). Rap is way different now. During the Hey Day there was just way to much competition for anyone to rule forever. He has his support and that's clear by the numbers. But again he hasn't done anything new in terms of overall success. Look at these rappers from there 1st certified album to there last certified albums:

Also when you look inside those #1 singles at least 50% were features. There's nothing wrong with that but let's not act like Drake when #1 all on his own. Is he successful? Yes. Legend? After 6 years? Tupac and Biggie were, 20 years later we are still listening to there music, so that's why we know there are Legends . Drake isn't there yet, let him grow and we will see. But as of 2015, even throwing in the billboard stats, it isn't enough. Also if "Take Care" is going to be the "Classic" album you guys put up for him. He's really going to have a hard time competing with the All Time Greats. The bar is set really high for Rap Legends. There's a reason for that. So again Tupac and Biggie were both Legends after the same years Drake has been in the game. Ask yourself again? Is he a Legend? Don't see it sorry.
    With ya logic of album sales, Wilt Chamberlain is a better basketball player than Lebron cause he could average more points in certain season and in a game.. I'm sure in 2002 downloading full albums weeks prior to their release and bootlegging was at a all time high with their Napster.. I tell you one thing though...they aint selling as many albums as Drake now minus the chosen few as jay-Z or Eminem.

Google "analogy".
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think drakes done enough sales wise to prove his sales aren't a fad, i mean he just dropped a tape outta nowhere and went gold, i can see kendrick doin what he does but he only on album 1, j cole has a dedicated fanbase as well but it hasnt taken him quite plat yet. in terms of sales tho, those 3 fallin off anytime soon would be surprising
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

TML - 1.5 Million
    TC - 2 Million
    NWTS - 1.5 Million

Mixtapes
    SFSG - Gold

good post, u said it better than pretty much everyone else in here that just been like "hell no ion like that lame ass ? , he not a legend" bolded is most important tho
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2015
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »
    Yall bring up 50 cent ja, and nelly but they was only hot for about 5 years each. ? nelly was barely 4 years2000-2004 . Same with 50 2003-2007. And ja was hot from 2000-2004 as well. Those were their primes . Drake been basically one of the biggest rappers since 2009. It's 2015. That's 6 years. And it looks like he just continuing to get bigger. Yeah the quality of music can be better but ? to deny what he done in so little time. Eh he probably not a legend now. But to say he won't be is just hating

50 Cent and Nelly had way more impact in the short time that they were hot. I can only think of 3 Drake songs off the top of my head that I ? with and nothing Drake did is ever ? with grodt. And what does being the most popular rapper in a commercialized music industry watered down for white people have to do with being a legend to ? on a hip hop board that bump real ? ?

have u seen some of the ? these ? think are legends?

nO06hav.jpg
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

TML - 1.5 Million
    TC - 2 Million
    NWTS - 1.5 Million

Mixtapes
    SFSG - Gold

Google "analogy".

I googled "analorgy" and the only thing that came up was videos on redtube posted under the name bcotton69
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So 6 pages and I have yet to see a post explaining Drake's legendary status without posting album sales.

Since we are using ? analogies to further points, Soulja Boy a legend too.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lol ? ? makin my point for me, sho preciate it.

btw who seriously thinks drake is a legend RIGHT now?
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Legend
    So 6 pages and I have yet to see a post explaining Drake's legendary status without posting album sales.

Since we are using ? analogies to further points, Soulja Boy a legend too.
    good one.

Sion wrote: »

TML - 1.5 Million
    TC - 2 Million
    NWTS - 1.5 Million

Mixtapes
    SFSG - Gold

You have to take into account that sooner or later A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, J.Cole and them are going to catch him sales wise. I mean it's not like he's going 4x platinum +. GKMC is at about 1.5 mil, second album likely gonna go 2x plat and if he use the Dr.Dre cheat code album 3 will prolly sell Drake's career. I think in rap it's better to have grown a fanbase versus just having them out the gate. What 50, Nelly and others go to show you is that a lot of those fans were bandwagon fans who've now jumped on the next rappers' jocks. Can Drake sustain those numbers ? I think Kendrick and J.Cole gonna be putting numbers on the board just now watch.

I'm not denying that Drake's successful but I think he still has a way to go before he we can give him that title of legendary or Top 5 GOAT. When he does something to change the game then I'll cosign him right beside you fam.

It's beyond numbers. There were always dudes who outsold Jay between 1996-2006, but Jay-Z's consistency, not business acumen, had him highly regarded, over a substantial period of time.

We got Drake consistently giving you hit records, remixes, verses, tracks sounding like Drake feat Drake, influences over current artists such as Logic, Gambino, JCole, etc etc. Go on youtube and you can find a hundred artists and producers with a "Drake type beat", falsely labeling songs by Drake trying to sound like a rip off of Drake. I ain't even going to get in his influence in battle rap via KOTD since 2011 b4 it became quasi mainstreamish. Tyga got you wearing snapbacks like the 80s n early 90s, and Drake got you wearing sweatshirts from that sane time period and recalling them casual crewnecks since he put an owl on it.

Turn on ya radio. Turn on ya radio next year and look at this thread, two years after that. If he's doing anything remotely in the near future as he is now, it will be harder and harder to not eventually give him that benefit of the doubt.

At the end of the day, we don't gave a clear definition of a what a legend is in hip hop so it all will come down to opinion anyway.

Funny thing is if he WANTED TO, I'm sure he could just get that acting money and call it day, but hip hop/rnb is this guys OBSESSION N PASSION, and right now he's benefitting off his hard work and talent to go with it despite his perceived "character defects" or lack of masculinity as a black/mulatto (wtf did I type?) In hip hop.

Yall want a thug or a black militant repping your culture but 90% of you had a life too good or privileged to relate to your ideal hip hop "legend". ? wanna be hard without being that hard themselves as compensation because they forget you can be a man and "soft enough" at the same time.

Most of yall been ? with soft jerry curled hair ? since the 80s anyhow...suckas.
  • IAmDopeSmoke
    IAmDopeSmoke Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    i think drakes done enough sales wise to prove his sales aren't a fad, i mean he just dropped a tape outta nowhere and went gold, i can see kendrick doin what he does but he only on album 1, j cole has a dedicated fanbase as well but it hasnt taken him quite plat yet. in terms of sales tho, those 3 fallin off anytime soon would be surprising

Look what happened to Jarule, DMX & Jay-Z.... Jay the only one that's around today. Not saying they are them but we've seen so much craziness and unbelievable ? in rap that yo, ya know it might not be as far fetched of a possibility *shrugs*. What if Kendrick & Cole fall off and Drake is the only one left standing ? ? who would ever imagine Lil Wayne would be where he is ? Or that Pac & Big would have both died ? Or Big Pun dying ? So much has come and gone in rap that nothing surprises me anymore :( .

JaRule fckd his own career up and so did Dmx ion see Kendrick or J.Cole having them problems since ? don't really beef in the game like they use to and neither does coke
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a legend
    Lol at sweatshirts cmon b
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can he be a legend if he still a new rapper. When he drop his first album 2010? What has he done that is legendary? To be a legend in the game you got to cemented your mark in the game. Be known as the illest to do it at that time. Have some classic or something. Plus have some time under your belt.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Legend
    gonna merge
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a legend
    Disgusting.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Legend
    JokerKing wrote: »
    Drake will become hip hop's legendary ? ?

Kys
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has no classic albums
    Nothing dude has done has really made me feel like he's a legend at all. He has his moments and can craft a good song that can sell to the mainstream crowd and that's fine. However there's nothing from him that makes me feel like he's timeless. His albums to me have gotten worse as far as substance goes. To the kids growing up in this era he's the man and I understand that. Though to me he can be pretty inconsistent and suffers from that "cruse control" sickness a lot of succesfull rappers have. I'll give him this though, he's done enough to be known and a big figure for this era and he has the talent to craft a classic album IMO.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a legend
    a rapper with a ghostwriter? Wtf happened
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Overrated Period
    If Drake has a ghost writer thats really sad. How you pay someone to write your music and still sound like ? ?
  • Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    can't be a legend without at least one classic album
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He has the potential to be, but nah, he ain't there yet.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1 week ago I would have a answer.
  • bindayvez79
    bindayvez79 Members Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Has no classic albums
    Coming from an old head. If you're a rapper first, you can't be legendary if you don't write you're own ? .
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Legend
    Yes way more so than the likes of T.I., Slaughterhouse, J Cole, Kanye, Canibus, Jadakiss etc

Great Lyricist that has a good discography never dropped a wack or average album

A mainstream rapper that has substance and emotion like Eminem, Kid Cudi, B.o.B, Bone Thugs, Kendrick, Young Jeezy pretty much the only mainstream rappers with substance/emotion/message

Great Word Play, Punchlines, Flow, Multi's, Delivery, Metaphors

Dope Production

Can battle

Every album he has released has sold platinum when he came out in the internet era of downloading and when sales were at their lowest but he got platinum plaques in this era

Has various hit singles

Always drops classic feature verses

Like an Eminem, Z-Ro, B.o.B, Kid Cudi, Max B, 50 Cent, DMX, Bone Thugs, Devin The Dude, Pmp-C he performs 95% of the hooks on his songs himself

Has longevity been around selling platinum for nearly a decade now

• DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Legend
    anyone who voted anything besides legend or Goat lost tonight.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not a legend
    anyone who voted anything besides legend or Goat lost tonight.

Definitely not. Drake won the battle, but knocking him out of GOAT conversation with the ghostwriting exposure is exactly Meek did accomplish.

People thinking drake didn't take any L here are lying to themselves. Right now it seems like nothing but a win, but longterm his legacy gained an asterisk and his verses will always be questioned and looked at sideways by hip hop heads. Meek did that to him.