L.O.G.O.N.H.I. (legend or not) Vol. 5: Drake

Options

Comments

• KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »
    To be a legend you have to do something legendary.

Stop it.

tumblr_m6m8z3KS841rpz354.gif
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends on how you look at it...

I personally don't think the criteria for legendary status has to be a classic album.

For example, i don't think Master P gave anything classic...but what he did with No Limit was legendary.

On the other hand, there is some classic material out there by artists that will never be considered legends.

And then definition of classic is subjective. Some may say that SFG was classic material and put Drake on the map.

I aint gonna say he is a legend yet, I think he has the potential. I mean, if he never gives us a classic album but tops out at billionaire status via other investments like Jay....I would have to call him a legend cause he would have acheived that status using hip hop.

What he does in the charts is amazing in this era when nobody buys music. This ? will always sell on the charts.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whole lotta ? that hate drake but talk about him, ? disgusting lol
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    If drakes a legend then im a legend too

Top 5 Legends in the Game Right Now:
    1: Me ?
    2: @KamPushMe
    3: Deadeye's gif collection
    4: Gee's autocorrect
    5: Drake apparently

Lol @ me assuming you meant slim from cash money when you said deadeye
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    clippyclipp n*gga Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All the top tier 90s cats are still here lol, snoop, nas, jay, raekwon, ghost, redman, 50,mobb deep eminem etc they still putting put music and will outbar all of these new cats ? even wayne is a 90s cat so for you to ask where are they st they still in your face lol
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a legend
    DNB1 wrote: »

I personally don't think the criteria for legendary status has to be a classic album.

For example, i don't think Master P gave anything classic...but what he did with No Limit was legendary.

On the other hand, there is some classic material out there by artists that will never be considered legends.

And then definition of classic is subjective. Some may say that SFG was classic material and put Drake on the map.

I aint gonna say he is a legend yet, I think he has the potential. I mean, if he never gives us a classic album but tops out at billionaire status via other investments like Jay....I would have to call him a legend cause he would have acheived that status using hip hop.

What he does in the charts is amazing in this era when nobody buys music. This ? will always sell on the charts.

I dont really get this, jay is not a legend because hes rich. You dont get into thd rock n roll hall of fame be auae you're rich
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    clippyclipp n*gga Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay is a legend because he made timeless classic music, i can't say the same for drake. to me he hasn't made anything that is timeless.
  • DNB1
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    DNB1 wrote: »

I dont really get this, jay is not a legend because hes rich. You dont get into thd rock n roll hall of fame be auae you're rich

Yea it can be confusing which is why I say views on classic/legends can be subjective
  • DNB1
    Options
    I also get yo point tho...
  • s3nterocks
    s3nterocks Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It may be a changing of the times and my inability to adapt, but his bars ain't on up there you can't be a legend. TO ME, rap isn't like other genres where popularity matters most. Rap is about who's the nicest on the mic. This dude is just at the top of the chart.

Also, i gave that last joint a try and i have the weirdest feelings about it. My brain is looking for bars and doesn't find any worthy of labeling good, but the beat and hook has me bopping. It's like he mastered the art of a hit, but just has no words for us 90's ? to ? with.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see somebody was looking to get Platinum, perhaps even Diamond status for their thread
  • CHICAGO_BREED
    CHICAGO_BREED Members Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ima put it like this..........Drake nice and I believe everybody can agree but once again the way hiphop is now he would be a legend but back in the 90's early 2000's the dude wouldn't have a chance
  • CHICAGO_BREED
    CHICAGO_BREED Members Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When most of your fan base are ? , you got the majority already.......so record sales don't mean ? cuz Cole is a better artist but he rap for the bro's. Half of drake albums are geared to women........he smart tho imo.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course he is/will be
    But he's not my preference
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    drake has time..no need to try and push for him to be a legend now.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake is the heavy D of this generation. He's not a technical lyricist that spits hard ? . He only raps about what ? like. He rather shade rappers that call him out for his bitchness than speak it in the open for fear of losing his credibility by getting his ass whooped or getting blasted on a track. He makes smooth music but being that he's very feminine, my girl will relate to it more than me.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake is the heavy D of this generation. He's not a technical lyricist that spits hard ? . He only raps about what ? like. He rather shade rappers that call him out for his bitchness than speak it in the open for fear of losing his credibility by getting his ass whooped or getting blasted on a track. He makes smooth music but being that he's very feminine, my girl will relate to it more than me.

that comparison is all wrong my dude. heavy d wasnt considered a ? at all. he was loved in the hood. u could stand outside and here ? rockin his ? . everyone wanted to be able to do the bun didley didley d ? . he wasnt gangsta but didnt need to be in order for us to respect him.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll never get the hype with drake a lot of his music is redundant. To be a legend IMO u have to have songs u can play 5 years down the line and people kno it word for word. What album of his gets constant rotation years down the line? What song are we playin from a couple years ago heavy from drake. IMO he'll be one of those rappers who u look back on and know he'll sell but his catalogue has no impact similar to Ja Rule
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    Isn't drake the first successful rapper who sings? I can't think of a artist like him that is successful

Dude is a below average singer lol bizzy bone has better vocal range
  • thephantasm
    thephantasm Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake.needs a. New concept.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake will hold a place in hip hop history when it's all said and done.

• just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess he a legend to women and womenly-men, he certainly isnt a top 20 lyricist.
    Lets be honest right now, only reason he's popular is because ? like him, no self respecting man sits down while listening to aubrey and says "yeah, this is good music, this speaks to me"