Baltimore gets bloodier as arrests drop post-Freddie Gray

Options

Comments

• damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Lonious Monk

The great migration, when millions blk americans relocated from the rural south to the cities of the north, midwest and west began in the early 1900s ...during a time when collecting crime data was in its infancy, there was no tv, no 24 hr news outlets, and no internet ...so i dunno how you could say with any certainty this period of time was relatively peaceful compared to today

I think its safe to assume though that city life ushered in a new set of problems...violent crime being one

In the 70, 80s during the times when herion and ? was funneled into blk neighborhoods that's when a spike in violence was first reported ...which can be substantiated

The 90s, late 80s, major job lost in the manufacturing industry further exasperated things

Today, however, violent crime is at a 40, 50 yr low in most major cities ...including bmore ... so to suggest that this generation of blks are more violent, irresponsible than previous generations is false and misleading at best ...especially doing so without context

Its unfortunate what we are seeing in bmore now that fred grays death has cast the national spot light on the city, but its not surprising

Wish things were different but its naive to expect his death to unite ppl, gangs with longstanding disputes over things like turf and money...and at the end of the day the ppl there are still living in the same ? conditions they were before he was killed

Any race of ppl would react the same given the conditions we have had to live under not only in bmore but america the last 300 or whatever yrs ...remember slavery ended alil more than 150 yrs ago, and jim crow not ever 60 yrs ago, nothing but more time can completely reverse the damage of these institutions have inflicted upon our psyche and overall being

I get ppl need to make better choices... and its true you never said that ppl are born one way or another...but at the same time let's not act like our choices aren't driven by environment, biology, societal and non-conscious forces

For instance, its unlikely that I a heterosexual woman will marry a woman, because that could not be further away from my environmental, biological, and non-conscious inclinations. But you know what? I COULD try. Still doesn't mean its possible. It would take not only take effort on my part, but its also determined by my residency. And to a lesser degree its influenced by my culture and upbringing

Than to a large extent the choices we make are created by those with power, institutions... sure some of us wouldn't pay our taxes if we didn't have to worry about being penalized, wouldn't u agree? Lol

My point being, issues we face are complex and require more than just black ppl looking on the mirror...we have to present ppl with better choices, and invest more resources into making sure they make the best choice

But whatever continue on... Scolding poo' blk folk can never get tired, old...Not as if we don't get enough of it from politicians, the media, each other the last 100 years

And im sure it makes u feel so superior...because you never made a bad choice or a mistake...luck or fate had nothing to do with how ur life turned out lol

It was way easier to be able to get away with murder during that time...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Lonious Monk

The great migration, when millions blk americans relocated from the rural south to the cities of the north, midwest and west began in the early 1900s ...during a time when collecting crime data was in its infancy, there was no tv, no 24 hr news outlets, and no internet ...so i dunno how you could say with any certainty this period of time was relatively peaceful compared to today

I think its safe to assume though that city life ushered in a new set of problems...violent crime being one

In the 70, 80s during the times when herion and ? was funneled into blk neighborhoods that's when a spike in violence was first reported ...which can be substantiated

The 90s, late 80s, major job lost in the manufacturing industry further exasperated things

Today, however, violent crime is at a 40, 50 yr low in most major cities ...including bmore ... so to suggest that this generation of blks are more violent, irresponsible than previous generations is false and misleading at best ...especially doing so without context

Its unfortunate what we are seeing in bmore now that fred grays death has cast the national spot light on the city, but its not surprising

Wish things were different but its naive to expect his death to unite ppl, gangs with longstanding disputes over things like turf and money...and at the end of the day the ppl there are still living in the same ? conditions they were before he was killed

Any race of ppl would react the same given the conditions we have had to live under not only in bmore but america the last 300 or whatever yrs ...remember slavery ended alil more than 150 yrs ago, and jim crow not ever 60 yrs ago, nothing but more time can completely reverse the damage of these institutions have inflicted upon our psyche and overall being

I get ppl need to make better choices... and its true you never said that ppl are born one way or another...but at the same time let's not act like our choices aren't driven by environment, biology, societal and non-conscious forces

For instance, its unlikely that I a heterosexual woman will marry a woman, because that could not be further away from my environmental, biological, and non-conscious inclinations. But you know what? I COULD try. Still doesn't mean its possible. It would take not only take effort on my part, but its also determined by my residency. And to a lesser degree its influenced by my culture and upbringing

Than to a large extent the choices we make are created by those with power, institutions... sure some of us wouldn't pay our taxes if we didn't have to worry about being penalized, wouldn't u agree? Lol

My point being, issues we face are complex and require more than just black ppl looking on the mirror...we have to present ppl with better choices, and invest more resources into making sure they make the best choice

But whatever continue on... Scolding poo' blk folk can never get tired, old...Not as if we don't get enough of it from politicians, the media, each other the last 100 years

And im sure it makes u feel so superior...because you never made a bad choice or a mistake...luck or fate had nothing to do with how ur life turned out lol

You're arguing in circles. First you were trying to list a bunch of ? that excuses the high violence we see now. Now you're saying that the violence really isn't that high. Which is it? Is there an excess of violence in black neighborhoods due to all the external factors conspiring against us or are black neighborhoods really not all that violent to begin with. Pick one, because you can't have both.

And it's pretty easy to make the statements I did when you have cities having record breaking murder weekends. So let's all applaud because they've managed to lower the overall murder rate in comparison to what was seen during the height of the ? era. That's surely something to celebrate.

No one is trying to oversimplify the problems. No one in here is claiming that everything can be fixed by looking in the mirror. However, checking ourselves is something that needs to be done, and for some reason you don't want to admit that.

The bold basically highlights the sheer lack of logic in your stance. How am I trying to feel superior? Where did I ever say I didn't make a mistake? What does that even have to do with the discussion? So if I say that we should look demand accountability in our community instead of always pushing blame, that some how means I'm trying to claim some type of moral superiority? How does that even work? And if we're going to go there. No, I've never just accidentally gone and murdered someone. It wasn't luck or fate that kept me from doing something like that. There are plenty of times in life I could have gone down a path like that and I chose not to. I did make mistakes in my life and I had to answer for those, and that's what I did. I didn't grasp at straws trying to find someone to blame even if I had a legitimate case because I believe in accountability for one's actions. I guess that's something you can't understand though.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What do you expect from a liberal feminist woman??? her whole world view is centered around blaming others.
    criminals are ? up our communities and we need proper policing not criminal policing, it would help if the powers that be would end this stupid drug war. It is what is really fueling the crime and poverty in our communities.

but until they do the onus is us to keep the places we live safe. I mean lets be real it all comes down to character because you better believe that whites and Asians sell drugs and do crime but their neighborhoods don't turn into shooting galleries.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    What do you expect from a liberal feminist woman??? her whole world view is centered around blaming others.
    criminals are ? up our communities and we need proper policing not criminal policing, it would help if the powers that be would end this stupid drug war. It is what is really fueling the crime and poverty in our communities.

but until they do the onus is us to keep the places we live safe. I mean lets be real it all comes down to character because you better believe that whites and Asians sell drugs and do crime but their neighborhoods don't turn into shooting galleries.

guess you haven't been to Chinatown... they be catching bodies out there believe that...
  • zzombie
    Options

guess you haven't been to Chinatown... they be catching bodies out there believe that...

You really want to compare the bodies dropped in Chinatown or any Asian community to the bodies dropped in Chicago.
  • damobb2deep
    Options

You really want to compare the bodies dropped in Chinatown or any Asian community to the bodies dropped in Chicago.

? you acting like Chicago murders are only blacks... that's the part I don't get ? think every time they hear "murder" they think black... btw I'm sure Chicago has a "Chinatown" so it can compare if it's apart of the body count...
  • zzombie
    Options

? you acting like Chicago murders are only blacks... that's the part I don't get ? think every time they hear "murder" they think black... btw I'm sure Chicago has a "Chinatown" so it can compare if it's apart of the body count...

shut ? up and stop denying the truth.

even if you look at just the black sections of chicago and compare it to the asian sections the amount of murders and violent crimes will be higher in the black sections.

when people hear murder they think black firstly because of the media but the truth is alot of killings are done by black folks.
  • damobb2deep
    Options

shut ? up and stop denying the truth.

even if you look at just the black sections of chicago and compare it to the asian sections the amount of murders and violent crimes will be higher in the black sections.

when people hear murder they think black firstly because of the media but the truth is alot of killings are done by black folks.

I'm not denying ? ..get out your feelings what I said was truthful... yes blacks do alot of killings but when you hear "such in such city has had so many murders" you think black.. and that's not the truth that's my point...
  • The Hue
    The Hue Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Limbaugh, O'Reilly, and Hannity would be proud of some of yall ? in here.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let me get this clear... Nothing will change until white people start funding programs and creating jobs in the city?
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, based on the arguments of some of yall, all we need is jobs and drug legalization to stop crime and killing s in the hood, right?? Smh This mentality is exactly why ? will never change. We've become a bunch of irresponsible children who do ? , then when trouble comes, claim that it's not our fault. Society did this to us. Society forces us into gangs. Society has us pick up guns and ? people that look like us. Society has us killing people with drugs that look like us in our own communities. Here's my question: what part of your life and your life decisions are U responsible for?? ? in here singing the same damn song and wondering why their life prospects haven't changed. Good luck with that. Lmao @ comparing personal responsibility with ? Limbaugh or Hannity say. Yall ? are truly lost
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, based on the arguments of some of yall, all we need is jobs and drug legalization to stop crime and killing s in the hood, right?? Smh This mentality is exactly why ? will never change. We've become a bunch of irresponsible children who do ? , then when trouble comes, claim that it's not our fault. Society did this to us. Society forces us into gangs. Society has us pick up guns and ? people that look like us. Society has us killing people with drugs that look like us in our own communities. Here's my question: what part of your life and your life decisions are U responsible for?? ? in here singing the same damn song and wondering why their life prospects haven't changed. Good luck with that. Lmao @ comparing personal responsibility with ? Limbaugh or Hannity say. Yall ? are truly lost

this ? is killing it....i at least i know i am not alone in my way of thinking along with a few others.

but everything you said is right on point....
    The Hue wrote: »
    Limbaugh, O'Reilly, and Hannity would be proud of some of yall ? in here.

they dont care about black people...they care about using what they think is facts to justify how we are treated.

how can a white person tell a back person about how to be black?

this is why i could never be with a white woman....she would never understand my daily struggle to get from A to B
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    Let me get this clear... Nothing will change until white people start funding programs and creating jobs in the city?
    No. They can start by letting all the black fathers they either wrongly convicted or unfairly sentenced out of jail. They can do a major overhaul of the judicial system and allow more black ppl in high places, so we can get rid of some of these laws DESIGNED to keep us in poverty. If ppl think by us simply "looking in the mirror" 400 years of oppression will disappear then its probably pointless to argue with you
  • The Hue
    Options
    ? where the ? did I say that we shouldn't be responsible for our actions? What trips me out is how ? like you that ? on Fox News for speaking on black on black crime when a pig kills one of us then turn right around and say the same ? . The truth is that if you're going to be killed by somebody, it's gonna be somebody that looks just like you.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    No. They can start by letting all the black fathers they either wrongly convicted or unfairly sentenced out of jail. They can do a major overhaul of the judicial system and allow more black ppl in high places, so we can get rid of some of these laws DESIGNED to keep us in poverty. If ppl think by us simply "looking in the mirror" 400 years of oppression will disappear then its probably pointless to argue with you

accountability works magic.

if you can do better....why wont you do better?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    ? where the ? did I say that we shouldn't be responsible for our actions? What trips me out is how ? like you that ? on Fox News for speaking on black on black crime when a pig kills one of us then turn right around and say the same ? . The truth is that if you're going to be killed by somebody, it's gonna be somebody that looks just like you.

ok....so why let criminal run rampant in our hoods.....

why is the no snitching thing have such a grip on our hoods?

• manofmorehouse
    Options

Who has said that in this thread bruh?? There has been an acknowledgement that there is systemic racism throughout our government, the police force, banking institutions, etc. U think these people are going to turn around after 400 + years and say "oh ? , we've been inhumane. Here's some reparations.". If it didn't happen after the civil rights movement, it's never happening. So where does that leave us?? We don't vote in elections, outside of when the president runs, we turn down jury duty, we as African American men don't embrace college as much as we should, but we're proficient at making excuses. No one is going to help us but ourselves. That's the bottom line. We can talk about the problems in our community all day. What are we doing collectively to change them though??
  • manofmorehouse
    edited May 2015
    Options

There's a clear distinction between Fox News anchors using Black plight to separate and justify unlawful killings. They offer no solutions to these issues. If u can't distinguish between the two, then I don't know what else to tell u. Good luck in life. That's not me being dismissive. You're a black man and I'm a black man. We have the same struggles but just go about dealing with them differently.
  • The Hue
    Options

ok....so why let criminal run rampant in our hoods.....

why is the no snitching thing have such a grip on our hoods?

Wait a sec, I don't agree with letting criminals ? up our neighborhood. I don't agree with snitching either though. The only way to tackle that issue is to stand up and redefine what's right or cool for kids to look up to. I honestly don't think drug dealing will go away til laws are changed. We gotta convince a lot of people that an education is more valuable than the fast money that slanging offers.
  • The Hue
    Options

Who has said that in this thread bruh?? There has been an acknowledgement that there is systemic racism throughout our government, the police force, banking institutions, etc. U think these people are going to turn around after 400 + years and say "oh ? , we've been inhumane. Here's some reparations.". If it didn't happen after the civil rights movement, it's never happening. So where does that leave us?? We don't vote in elections, outside of when the president runs, we turn down jury duty, we as African American men don't embrace college as much as we should, but we're proficient at making excuses. No one is going to help us but ourselves.That's the bottom line. We can talk about the problems in our community all day. What are we doing collectively to change them though??

I definitely agree with this, but I always gotta acknowledge to people that we achieved this in the early years of the 20th century. I can't imagine what our neighborhoods would look like now if terrorists didn't destroy them.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Listen I'm not the most informed... But are you saying most of the men being sent to prison have not committed any crimes and they are being wrongfully convicted?
  • The Hue
    Options

Listen I'm not the most informed... But are you saying most of the men being sent to prison have not committed any crimes and they are being wrongfully convicted?

They probably were rightfully convicted, but they probably got 10 more years added to their sentence for doing the same ? as a white man.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    the hood is filled with people who self sabotage and dream ? .

not enough dream conquerors and self motivators.

• blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @manofmorehouse brother thank you for speaking on behalf of us that still have pride despite the conditions we face.

Some of yall should be ashamed of yourself to really believe a white hand has to move for change or reform to happen within our communities.

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i am starting to think.....? dont want to do better because it comes with acting better.

if you dont do ? or want ? than you can have an excuse to act like ? .

seems like it take more energy and thinking to be responsible than wreckless.

taking the easier route .....so they think. the route is actually harder and making your life harder.

for black people to be where we are with all that we face.....if we ever become a unit...this world is done.

This discussion has been closed.