The Goat Album Tournament - Semi Finals: Reasonable Doubt VS ?

Options

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    ?
    seriously when you guys gonna ban zorrow. dude is a ? white pretending to be black. and now his trolling is ? worse and one of the main reasons why the reason been ? .
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    ?
    @stew that's the beauty of it though. Chuck D started when he was 27 same as 50 cent. Both of there music reached different age demographics. The adults ? with PE. The kids ? with 50. When RD dropped jay had both demographics and the ? . Just tougher competition. Win/lose situation. He may have lost to some then. But he eventually started winning soon after. Gift and the Curse.

Yea yea Im wit u, just sayin thats why it was so "advanced", ? was 7-10 yrs older than Nas, Snoop, Mobb Deep, Outkast etc.... and probably why it never caught on mainstream like that cause they didnt wanna push an older ? ....Until a couple yrs later at least lol
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    @5th Letter to me that was the golden era. You had at least 25 classic albums drop in that 3 year span.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    I remember going to 125th st in Harlem on my birthday. It was September 1993. I went to cop some mix tapes. I managed to get a Kid Capri Old School tape and DJ S&S Back For That Ass part 2 . The S&S tape had What's My Name by Snoop 2 months before it was officially released.

Mind you, Snoop had a huge buzz from the Chronic and everybody was wondering when his album was going to come out. So I came back to Boston and I was the only one to have the new Snoop. I loaned the tape out (this was before the internet) and it spread like wildfire. The person I loaned it to must have taken it to a place that mass produces tapes.

Anyway, Snoop had a huge hype and I was the first person in Boston to have that tape. Unfortunately I no longer have it.

Its called Back For That Ass part 2 by DJ S&S. If anybody can find it online I'll give you a GOAT.
  • Stew
    Options
    ?
    seriously when you guys gonna ban zorrow. dude is a ? white pretending to be black. and now his trolling is ? worse and one of the main reasons why the reason been ? .

Its not like hes not been banned before, im sure itll happen again.
  • whoseworldisthis
    whoseworldisthis Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    I gotta agree with some of the comments.

Jay Z was around for a long time before he really caught steam with a wider audience.

I didn't really pay attention to him when he was with Jaz O (although "Hawaiian Sophie" was a bit of a cross-over hit on mainstream rap radio) but I do remember Big Daddy Kane (one of my idols) bringing him out all the time and biggin' him up the same way Jay Z would later do for Memphis Bleak.

My ears perked up a bit when I first heard this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpMpjrxNhB4
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    Reasonable Doubt isn't even Jay Z's best album...

How it beat Wu-Tang in this tournament, I'll never know.

Cats weren't even checkin' like that for Jay Z until after the 'Hard Knock Life' Tour... fact.

Snoop's album got bootlegged and recalled for uncleared samples and still almost did a million copies in the first week out. The streets were going crazy!

Eventhough Jay was so much of a non factor Pac felt it was necessary to diss Jay in the intro of his album?

? was the bigger album, doesnt mean it was the best.

Listen... I'm not saying Jay was a "non factor". Of course he was huge in New York.

But people are doing some revisionist history and trying to make "Reasonable Doubt" Jay Z's "Illmatic". There was a ton of albums bigger and better than RD that year out of New York alone.

Jay Z was still living in the shadows of cats like Jaz-O, Big Daddy Kane, Big L (everyone knows Big L ate Jay Z on their freestyle together), and Biggie during this era. He went from that fast Fu-Schnickens/ Chip Fu/ Kane type flow and then switched it up to a more NY story teller type flow.

The real reason Pac dissed Jay was because Jay was Big's man and yelling out "Brooklyn"... Pac dissed Chino XL too so that is a wack point...LOL.

The only thing I took from this quote was reminiscing on how etherous Big L was the short time he was murkin ? .

Im tryin to imagine how he would be looked at today if he was able to enjoy the longevity that many of his contemporaries benefited from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4SrjRPJ5gQ
  • Stew
    Options
    ?
    The Recipe wrote: »
    jayz_source896.jpg

jayz_source8962.jpg

snoop_doggystylesource294.jpg

Ill give someone 10 GOAT's if they can find the Aquemini Source review.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    stool-pigeon1.jpg
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    I was 16 when rd dropped 13 when ? came out. It was a different climate when these albums came out. The chronic came and ? the game up. NY ? was amazed at how well put together that album was. When everybody heard snoop on that album. Everyone knew he was gonna be a star. The anticipation for his solo was tremendous on both coasts. NYC was ? with that death row movement hard.. Different sound, different perspective, different slang just all around impact. Snoop changed the game. If it wasn't for RTD and illmatic the west coast stranglehold would've been even stronger. That's how strong those two albums were.

RTD and illmatic saved us. We was always lyrics first beats second. As long as your head was nodding the lyrics did the rest. Yall are right when you say RD had no impact when it dropped. And the reason for that it was to many great artist in NY at the time for him to compete with. Ob4cl had NY on smash. Everywhere you went you heard either ice cream or criminology. That album was to strong for anybody to ? with at the time. That ? had every rap ? that thought they was on top reevaluate they own ? . And jay ? just didn't standout. But the thing about RD was like a few before albums before it. The ? was ahead of its time. The ? was making grown man hustler music that was so coded that you really didn't appreciate it until he dumbed down on Vol.2 and that's when it hit ? . I really didn't catch it till I was 20. Coming from OT listening to regrets. A 16 year old can't relate to some of the ? he was saying in that song or ? in d'evils. Not saying it was to advanced but you had to be knee deep in it to appreciate that type of angle he was coming from. Aside from ain't no ? which I don't think is a bad song at all. There's not one bad track on that album.

So now in 2015 I listen to both of those albums. One gives me a nostalgic Feeling like damn I remember what I was doing when Gin and Juice came out etc etc. but when I listen to reasonable doubt, I see the picture he he was trying to paint. I was just young to see his vision in 96.

"Ghettos Errol Flynn hot like heroin young pimps is thorough when I ? through your borough in. You young boys keep your chicks intact cause I walk like a ? talk like a Mack trick.

So in other words Jay Z and RD was overshadowed by more talented artists that put out greater albums....exactly the reason why RD is garbage. There were better artists than Jay Z that put out better albums than Reasonable Doubt in 1996. This tournament is ? anyways. Threadstarter is a jigga warrior who creates these matchups at odd times so Jay Z can get an advantage in votes. Nothing will change. RD still will be garbage. RD still wont never be played at a high volume in a ? car this summer. I never heard a ? playing RD at a trap when I go get my weed. RD is an imaginary hustlers album. Cant believe yall grown man ass men that fall for the 92 bricks story.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ?
    Pac went @ a Jay b/c he rolled with Big and was supposed to be next to blow...

Nas wrote about this on Last Real ? Alive...
    5th Letter wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Snoop Dogg- G'z Up Hoes Down (unreleased)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=qTzL27E2IYM

Jay Z- Can I Live
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=JC7MJ8l73SQ

The youtube title is actually wrong. "G'z Up Hoes Down" WAS released on the first pressings of Snoop's "? ". But in a rush to put out the record by deadline, they didn't get the proper sample clearance from Isaac Hayes' people and someone from his camp filed a lawsuit which led to an album recall.

A hastily re-issued album came out with a different sample but I still have a copy with the original version on it.

I read about that years ago but I just don't count it as an official album cut.

Ht3MsA3.jpg
  • Stew
    Options
    ?
    Cant believe I just read a Tomp post, I never do that ? .
  • Louis Devinear
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    @tompetrez3 I wouldn't say better. But a lot of younger artist in my age range had my attention. And rd is far from garbage. What works for some may not work for all.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    Stew wrote: »
    jayz_source896.jpg

jayz_source8962.jpg

The closest I found but Ill keep an eye out for it.

outkast-s.jpg

LOL at Coolio getting 4 mics at the bottom though can anybody say payola
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    And exactly what was so advanced about his drug raps because the fat lipped ? said RD was inspired by Riding ? and UGK other albums. That advanced ? you hear is probably some game he stole from ? C because ? C been rapping about 88 since 88. So how can something groundbreaking have elements of something thats been done already? yall ? jigga ? lack of lapse judgement got "ahead of his time" confused with Jay Z being so behind the curve (old debut age, multiple mentors, emulated sound and topics) it just appears that he is running away with a style in his own lane. Everything that was talked about in RD was put under a bigger microscope in OB4CL a year prior.
  • Stew
    Options
    ?
    jayz_source896.jpg

jayz_source8962.jpg

outkast-s.jpg

YEA ? THAT AINT IT!! lol
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    I was 16 when rd dropped 13 when ? came out. It was a different climate when these albums came out. The chronic came and ? the game up. NY ? was amazed at how well put together that album was. When everybody heard snoop on that album. Everyone knew he was gonna be a star. The anticipation for his solo was tremendous on both coasts. NYC was ? with that death row movement hard.. Different sound, different perspective, different slang just all around impact. Snoop changed the game. If it wasn't for RTD and illmatic the west coast stranglehold would've been even stronger. That's how strong those two albums were.

RTD and illmatic saved us. We was always lyrics first beats second. As long as your head was nodding the lyrics did the rest. Yall are right when you say RD had no impact when it dropped. And the reason for that it was to many great artist in NY at the time for him to compete with. Ob4cl had NY on smash. Everywhere you went you heard either ice cream or criminology. That album was to strong for anybody to ? with at the time. That ? had every rap ? that thought they was on top reevaluate they own ? . And jay ? just didn't standout. But the thing about RD was like a few before albums before it. The ? was ahead of its time. The ? was making grown man hustler music that was so coded that you really didn't appreciate it until he dumbed down on Vol.2 and that's when it hit ? . I really didn't catch it till I was 20. Coming from OT listening to regrets. A 16 year old can't relate to some of the ? he was saying in that song or ? in d'evils. Not saying it was to advanced but you had to be knee deep in it to appreciate that type of angle he was coming from. Aside from ain't no ? which I don't think is a bad song at all. There's not one bad track on that album.

So now in 2015 I listen to both of those albums. One gives me a nostalgic Feeling like damn I remember what I was doing when Gin and Juice came out etc etc. but when I listen to reasonable doubt, I see the picture he he was trying to paint. I was just young to see his vision in 96.

"Ghettos Errol Flynn hot like heroin young pimps is thorough when I ? through your borough in. You young boys keep your chicks intact cause I walk like a ? talk like a Mack trick.

So in other words Jay Z and RD was overshadowed by more talented artists that put out greater albums....exactly the reason why RD is garbage. There were better artists than Jay Z that put out better albums than Reasonable Doubt in 1996. This tournament is ? anyways. Threadstarter is a jigga warrior who creates these matchups at odd times so Jay Z can get an advantage in votes. Nothing will change. RD still will be garbage. RD still wont never be played at a high volume in a ? car this summer. I never heard a ? playing RD at a trap when I go get my weed. RD is an imaginary hustlers album. Cant believe yall grown man ass men that fall for the 92 bricks story.

LMAO, Well Damn
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    ?
    jayz_source896.jpg

jayz_source8962.jpg

outkast-s.jpg

Dont diss Coolio da GAWD
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    ?
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    And exactly what was so advanced about his drug raps because the fat lipped ? said RD was inspired by Riding ? and UGK other albums. That advanced ? you hear is probably some game he stole from ? C because ? C been rapping about 88 since 88. So how can something groundbreaking have elements of something thats been done already? yall ? jigga ? lack of lapse judgement got "ahead of his time" confused with Jay Z being so behind the curve (old debut age, multiple mentors, emulated sound and topics) it just appears that he is running away with a style in his own lane. Everything that was talked about in RD was put under a bigger microscope in OB4CL a year prior.

? the GOAT

but respect to Reasonable Doubt

My top 5 albums

Illmatic
    Ridin ?
    ?
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Diary
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ?
    jayz_source896.jpg

jayz_source8962.jpg

outkast-s.jpg

You are sleeping on that Coolio Album it was tight back in the day... County Line, Mama I am In Love, Fantastic Voyage, I remember, all were dope tracks...

Oh Yeahtumblr_lyldyvTMzG1qbnuljo1_400.jpg...
  • Louis Devinear
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    On some G ? . The first time I ever heard of ugk was on big pimping. No ever said it was ground breaking. I said advanced as articulated the way he did. Everyone was straight forward he was more distinguished with it. Nobody hailing rd like it was the best thing since sliced bread. If you read my post you could differentiate that. You far from dumb. This I know. I'm not arguing with you. I know your style. I've lurked this board for years. But fact is fact. ? wasn't sophisticated with they ? until reasonable doubt dropped.

Look at how ? is rhyming that's due to who. But Ima let ? live caus it's beautiful.
    Live ?
  • Stew
    Options
    ?
    jayz_source896.jpg

jayz_source8962.jpg

outkast-s.jpg

You are sleeping on that Coolio Album it was tight back in the day... County Line, Mama I am In Love, Fantastic Voyage, I remember, all were dope tracks...

1 GOAT on deck......but I cant read the ? b. Too small.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    jayz_source896.jpg

jayz_source8962.jpg

outkast-s.jpg

Give me a sec working on that as we speak was bugging me also...
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    Reasonable Doubt should never have made it past Makaveli.

Me and the wife can have 50 people over to the house for a bbq tomorrow and play either ? or Makaveli without skipping a song. Every man and woman there would know every song and some would know every word. I got much respect for Reasonable Doubt, but the same thing wouldn't happen.
  • Stew
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ?
    jayz_source896.jpg

jayz_source8962.jpg

outkast-s.jpg

Give me a sec working on that as we speak was bugging me also...

I found it(the article anyway, not the screenshot like u got), no worries but I appreciate you for looking.
This discussion has been closed.